Melbourne Football

Round 7 - Roar vs City Friday 20th November

Baka1

However I can remain somewhat optimistic here makes me think the club should provide us all with regular counseling free of charge, but in any case I actually think we will probably win this. 

A) we have played better in away games this season - could have taken more points against both the smurfs and the 'tards. 

B.) We tend to rise in bigger games / against more attacking and possession based teams

C.) Brisbane has struggled against the 'better' teams this season. 3 of its 4 wins were against teams currently sitting 8th, 9th and 10th - the other against a WSW team in the first round that had gone through mass upheaval over the pre season. 

D.) We are that bloody inconsistent that for as shite as we were last week and have no right to expect more, chances are we will see another head scratching performance - hopefully how could we be so shite against WSW should we beat Brisbane

Edited by mattyh001

i hate to say this and never thought that I would,

BUT i hope we get flogged this week and finally put an end to his facade.

if Bambi can beat the the tanned one, surely the powers that be seen that the experiment is over

thankfully I didn't attend last Friday, but i had to explain ( as we watched a replay)to my daughters boyfriend, why we are so shite ,

there's an old expression about something being as useful as tits on a bull

well a friend of mine  has changed that to "it's about as useful as a Melbourne City Trophy Cabinet"

• Like 2

I think a few of the PPL who for the last five years have come on here and claimed JVS never had the cattle need to go back and assess the squads JVS had at his disposal (As the League's Highest Paid Coach) in comparison to JA who only ever coached Sidwell's Shoestring Elevens'.

If you list the best eleven players JVS coached at MHFC/MCFC and compare it to JA's the difference in ability is like that between a A-League Finalist and a State League Side.

Edited by cadete

22 minutes ago, cadete said:

I think a few of the PPL who for the last five years have come on here and claimed JVS never had the cattle need to go back and assess the squads JVS had at his disposal (As the League's Highest Paid Coach) in comparison to JA who only ever coached Sidwell's Shoestring Elevens'.

If you list the best eleven players JVS coached at MHFC/MCFC and compare it to JA's the difference in ability is like that between a A-League Finalist and a State League Side.

det stop making sense pls

Just now, strider said:

det stop making sense pls

Just look at the players who have played for either club down the spine:

The club best Number Nine: Tuna or Sibon... will turn out to be Tuna regardless both were only coached by JVS, in fact JA never really got a chance to coach a functional Eli either only one pissed off with failing at his boyhood dream.

The club's best Number Ten: Obviously Mooy but even then the only other decent Number 10 when not injured was Fred who was def pasted it by the time JA took over,

The club's best Number Five: Orlando only returned from injury under JVS.

The Club's best Center Halves: Madaschi, Good and Kisnorbo all deserved to be mentioned and only Kisnorbo played under JA.

The Club's best Keeper: Put it this way anyone but Redders who kept for almost all of JA's games in charge.

1 minute ago, cadete said:

Just look at the players who have played for either club down the spine:

The club best Number Nine: Tuna or Sibon... will turn out to be Tuna regardless both were only coached by JVS, in fact JA never really got a chance to coach a functional Eli either only one pissed off with failing at his boyhood dream.

The club's best Number Ten: Obviously Mooy but even then the only other decent Number 10 when not injured was Fred who was def pasted it by the time JA took over,

The club's best Number Five: Orlando only returned from injury under JVS.

The Club's best Center Halves: Madaschi, Good and Kisnorbo all deserved to be mentioned and only Kisnorbo played under JA.

The Club's best Keeper: Put it this way anyone but Redders who kept for almost all of JA's games in charge.

What about full backs Cadete?

11 minutes ago, strider said:

What about full backs Cadete?

Well if you're picking our best ever team I think most would go with Marrone (Of his form when at MHFC) who JA also never coached and Aziz who spent more time under JVS than JA... but did get to play a enough football under JA for me to concede he was a much better player when JVS was in charge.

I am sure someone will correct me and will be probably right but racking my brain the only player I can think of that would make the Best MHFC/MCFC Eleven that JVS did not coach and JA did coach would be Garcia.

Edited by cadete

We have something of a defensive crisis if Franjic, Kisnorbo, Hughes and Zullo all aren't fit to play.

Tough to pick the back 4 ATM. I'd go for:     Clisby--Richardson--Chapman--Retre

Tempted to play Millar instead of Retre, but 3 changes to the back 4 seems too much.

Anyway I've got a feeling this match will be very attacking: a matter of who can score the most. Brisbane's style is broadly similar to Adelaide's, however Brisbane are in much superior form of course. If Fornaroli, Novillo and Mooy all start that might give our attack the edge, which could give us a chance. But with a vulnerable back 4 and continuing squad upheaval, this match will be a big test for everyone at the club.

9 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

We have something of a defensive crisis if Franjic, Kisnorbo, Hughes and Zullo all aren't fit to play.

Tough to pick the back 4 ATM. I'd go for:     Clisby--Richardson--Chapman--Retre

Tempted to play Millar instead of Retre, but 3 changes to the back 4 seems too much.

Anyway I've got a feeling this match will be very attacking: a matter of who can score the most. Brisbane's style is broadly similar to Adelaide's, however Brisbane are in much superior form of course. If Fornaroli, Novillo and Mooy all start that might give our attack the edge, which could give us a chance. But with a vulnerable back 4 and continuing squad upheaval, this match will be a big test for everyone at the club.

I can't see us keeping a clean sheet if all those four are out. Which means we will definitely have to score at least 3 goals to win. This is why I would try and play Novillo as the centre forward. He is decent in the air and has the pace should balls be dropped over the top of their defence. Bruno is capable of playing in a wide role with his work rate.

I cant believe I am saying this about a club that is virtually bankrupt and coached by a guy who has equaled the record for most games without a win, but I probably wont be too upset if we draw.

But knowing us we will probably absolutely dominate this game somehow and everyone will be back on the "everythings going to be OK" bandwagon

4-0 loss. JVS joins brisbane as a part time Football Director whilst doing dutch TV. Scott Munn takes over as CEO and Sidwell buys them out. Suddenly it becomes Brisbane Lion Heart and the fans crack the shits because they put red on the home kit and start arguments about how Orange is the colour of Brisbane not red.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

If you had told me two years ago that right now Heart would be owned by Man City, being coached by JVS and in the bottom half of the ladder and playing Brisbane who are coached by JA and coming first... Well, I would have laughed my head off. 

I've stopped laughing. Now it's just killing me. I'm actually looking forward to this game and attending the following home game. I wanna be there when JvS is given his last rights. Just like the being at the game where the "ALOISI OUT" banner was unfurled.

Edited by HEARTinator

Assuming the players that are injured don't play this is the starting eleven I'd go with:

Sorenson

Retre Chapman Richardson Clisby

Melling      Mauk

Mooy           

Gameiro    Fornaroli     Novillo

Bench:

Tando, Dekker, Paartalu, Franjic, Trifiro. 

I'd almost play a 4-4-2 to give our fullbacks some more cover seeing as we've been so exposed on those sides. And both Gameiro and Novillo aren't players that will provide the best support for our fullbacks either. But we should look better with Mooy there so perhaps play a 4-2-1-3. I'd drop Garruccio completely for one of the worst performances in a City shirt I've seen. In his place I'd play Richardson and move Clisby to left back. Paartalu on the bench for his performance on Friday. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

Assuming the players that are injured don't play this is the starting eleven I'd go with:

Sorenson

Melling      Mauk

Mooy           

Bench:

I'd almost play a 4-4-2 to give our fullbacks some more cover seeing as we've been so exposed on those sides. And both Gameiro and Novillo aren't players that will provide the best support for our fullbacks either. But we should look better with Mooy there so perhaps play a 4-2-1-3. I'd drop Garruccio completely for one of the worst performances in a City shirt I've seen. In his place I'd play Richardson and move Clisby to left back. Paartalu on the bench for his performance on Friday. 

FFs Gameiro has shown nothing 

4 hours ago, Luke said:

FFs Gameiro has shown nothing 

Yes but we desperately need him to be a starting player! And so far he hasn't started a game. He needs this opportunity to settle in and get a hold of the game because everytime he's come on he's tried to make too big an impact as a sub. We can't rely on the less experienced players to play in that position. So while I agree he hasn't shown enough I completely disagree with not starting him. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

Sorenson

Franjic Chapman Richardson Retre

Melling      Paartalu 

Mooy           

Williams/Gameiro    Fornaroli     Novillo

Bench:

Tando, Trifiro, Mauk, Clisby, Gameiro/Zinni. 

OK, the big problem for this game is central defence. Paartalu for mine had his best game in a city shirt last week, definitely keeps his spot, plus his job will be to camp in front of those 2 centre backs and also win the fu&^ing ball in the air, as Chapman sure as hell won't be doing it.

Williams to start if he's fit.  Gameiro is back up for him.  

Ivan has 60 min under his belt with the youth, so give him a start.  I prefer Retre to our left backs so would move him across (now if I was actually the coach I would think long and hard before I did it, but on the keyboard, yeah why not)

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Sorenson

Melling      Mauk

Mooy           

Bench:

Sorry Niko I thought Paartalu was our best outfield player against WSW.

We tried Melling, Mauk and Mooy against the Jets, and it fell apart after 35 minutes.

I would give Garuccio a game on the left wing in front of Clisby.

Edited by silva10

I am getting the same feeling I got for that game against Wellington which was JA's last game in charge. Hoping for a loss. Although I still think the decision has been made to sack him (like with JA) I think that a loss here would speed up the process. 

I know davutovic said it wont happen so early, but really the longer it goes on the harder it is for the new manager to salvage whats there. I really just cant stand it anymore. We have such a great squad and they are being let down by a manager who has no clue. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Sorenson

Franjic Chapman Richardson Retre

Melling      Paartalu 

Mooy           

Williams/Gameiro    Fornaroli     Novillo

Bench:

Tando, Trifiro, Mauk, Clisby, Gameiro/Zinni. 

OK, the big problem for this game is central defence. Paartalu for mine had his best game in a city shirt last week, definitely keeps his spot, plus his job will be to camp in front of those 2 centre backs and also win the fu&^ing ball in the air, as Chapman sure as hell won't be doing it.

Williams to start if he's fit.  Gameiro is back up for him.  

Ivan has 60 min under his belt with the youth, so give him a start.  I prefer Retre to our left backs so would move him across (now if I was actually the coach I would think long and hard before I did it, but on the keyboard, yeah why not)

Paulo Retre is establishing himself to be a good player.

Notice I said good.
He isn't a world-beater, nor an A-League top 20 player.

Kid's young and knows how to play as a wingback -- reliable. Unlike Garuccio (unfortunately). 

Brisbane are going to sit back, soak up all of our possession and smash us on the counter. Out back 4 have no hope against Henrique, Borello and McLaren 

13 minutes ago, strider said:

Paulo Retre is establishing himself to be a good player.

Notice I said good.
He isn't a world-beater, nor an A-League top 20 player.

Kid's young and knows how to play as a wingback -- reliable. Unlike Garuccio (unfortunately). 

Erik was well shit last week. He consistently looks exhausted and has no idea what he is doing when in possession. And for a dm, his positioning is terrible. 

7 minutes ago, Tonyboozeadams said:

Brisbane are going to sit back, soak up all of our possession and smash us on the counter. Out back 4 have no hope against Henrique, Borello and McLaren 

Erik was well shit last week. He consistently looks exhausted and has no idea what he is doing when in possession. And for a dm, his positioning is terrible. 

For a big boy (one of the biggest in the league) he doesn't seem to use his body a whole lot does he, the viking?

Do we expect anything else from JA? 10 men behind the ball.

3 minutes ago, strider said:

For a big boy (one of the biggest in the league) he doesn't seem to use his body a whole lot does he, the viking?

Do we expect anything else from JA? 10 men behind the ball.

counter attacking football can look good. And it suits the squad JA has. plus we are useless with the ball, so why not let us attack?

yeah the only real asset i can see from Erik is that he is good in the air. Otherwise i can't see to many other positives from his game

Gameiro is supposed to be a first eleven player. He is a player that needs more game time, not less. It's plain as day he hasn't settled yet, especially trying to make an impact as sub. He needs to settle into the game from the beginning. 

Secondly Garruccio has played and started games. On top of that he was so poor on Friday it's inexcusable. 

Unless he's not ready, Gameiro must be played from the start of the match. We desperately need him to start firing asap. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Gameiro is supposed to be a first eleven player. He is a player that needs more game time, not less. It's plain as day he hasn't settled yet, especially trying to make an impact as sub. He needs to settle into the game from the beginning. 

Secondly Garruccio has played and started games. On top of that he was so poor on Friday it's inexcusable. 

Unless he's not ready, Gameiro must be played from the start of the match. We desperately need him to start firing asap. 

In that case I would play him up front and Bruno on the right. I don't think Gameiro is defensively minded enough to play from a wide area.

50 minutes ago, n i k o said:

So surely he can get minutes in the youth league ? I can't get my head around the insistence to use a player that's been so abjectly poor thus far 

49 minutes ago, n i k o said:

It would be normal to bring him back through the youth team. I for one was not impressed by him at all against WSW. He's just typical of the folly of signing injured players. Get players ready for the season during the pre-season, not a quarter of the way into the season proper.

Agree his performances aren't great. If I were to replace him with anyone on the wing it would be Zinni. He showed enough to me that eh deserves some game time, obviously not enough for JVS. Other than that it's either Gameiro, Dekker and Garruccio. Out of the three Gameiro gets the nod from me. Again I say lets see what he's like when he starts a game. 

Sorensen

Retre          Chapman        Paartalu         Clisby

Trifiro              Melling

Mooy

Gameiro                  Fornaroli               Novillo

Velaphi     Franjic      Mauk    Williams     Garrucio

Dekker if Williams is unavailable. Franjic to potentially play on the wing for Gameiro early second half.

Gameiro is too good for us at this minute. Watch him in isolation. Everything he does, including his runs off the ball, are pretty much the opposite to where it's played. 

Remember when he came on in his first game against CCM I think it was? He had more shots than our team combined. Could've scored 1/2/3 easy. That was when he had decent delivery though. 

I fully agree he's been poor since. But I imagine Sterling for instance would be poor on a wing in our team at the minute too. 

Get a real coach, let him find his feet, get Mooy back and he'll be cooking I reckon.