Melbourne Football

Matchday thread 2015/16

Tesla

3 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Adelaide players going nuts with the trophy, Eli Babalj just standing at the back chewing gum. Does not give a single fuck.

Would take him back TBH, good backup for Fornaroli.

Useless. Thought he was the next Mark Viduka. Vuduka started to be a global superstar at 19 and how old is he now? And to his credit, l believe he has been a member (when in Melbourne) since the inception of Melbourne Heart.

Edited by Tony999

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscribe/news/1/index.html?sourceCode=AAWEB_MRE170_a_FBK&mode=premium&dest=http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/adelaide/adelaide-united-wont-earn-a-cent-from-their-historic-aleague-grand-final-win/news-story/a2d9d434d4ac6fe055bf5cf8da1ace46&memtype=anonymous

adelaide pocketed $0 for prize money and FFA walked away with $5 million

ADELAIDE United won’t earn a single cent for winning the A-League grand final at Adelaide Oval, exactly $1 million less than this year’s AFL premier will bank.

The club’s chairman says the Reds should have earned at least $750,000, after Football Federation Australia walked away with an estimated $5 million-plus from an event that attracted a record 50,119 fans to an SA soccer clash.

United gained a trophy, players’ medals and lots of goodwill, but no prizemoney.

That compares to the $1 million the AFL premiers receive and the $48 million Leicester City banked for winning the English Premier League last week.

United chairman Greg Griffin says he will on Wednesday again open discussions about FFA offering grand final prizemoney to clubs, as had been recommended by the now-defunct Joint A-League Strategic Committee.

“JALSC ceased to exit and now there are meetings between A-League club chairman and FFA,’’ Griffin said.

index&domain=adelaidenow.com.au&td_widge

“There is a meeting on Wednesday and one of the topics will be prizemoney.

“What we want to do is to put back in place the recommendation that was passed by JALSC but then rejected by the FFA board.

“One million dollars would be fair prizemoney in total, it’s a huge incentive.

“The FFA would still make a large amount of profit on the day.

“I would suggest $750,000 to $250,000 to the runner up. The FFA can dine on the rest.”

FFA made more than $5 million from the grand final, which attracted a record 50,119 fans to an SA soccer clash.

Adelaide Oval also made a windfall, charging FFA more than $150,000 to hire the venue.

The venue’s estimated turnover, mainly from food and drink sales, was worth more than $1 million.

An FFA spokesman welcomed the grand final prizemoney discussion, but said it was unlikely prizemoney would be introduced before the 2018 A-League grand final.

That season’s end coincides with the A-League’s first year of a new TV broadcast deal, with the current TV agreement coming to an end in 2017.

“Prizemoney was not a part of this season’s competition regulations, but FFA sees merit in rewarding the club owners for their investment and the club’s effort to win the championship,” the FFA spokesman said.

“It’s a matter that will come into consideration as the game’s longer term economic foundations take shape in the new broadcast era starting in mid-2017.”

Griffin said the Adelaide and Western Sydney grand final, which the Reds claimed 3-1, was watched by a TV audience of 200 million viewers across Europe, Asia and the Americas.

Fox Sports — the A-League’s host broadcaster — recorded an audience of 237,000, while SBS had an audience of 269,000 despite the clash being on delay.

FFA walked away ticket sales profits from the grand final.

FFA also earned profits from selling A-League merchandise which clearly had a focus on Adelaide United and to a lesser extent Wanderers gear which was sold at the Oval on grand final day.

Edited by Young Polak

17 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

The more you learn about the rules and regulations surrounding the A-League the more you realise how incompetent the FFA is.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Fair enough that the League takes all the profit from finals imo, but im staggered that there is no prize money. Is that actually the case?

That is what is allegedly being reported

I copied what was in the article into my original post for those who have had trouble accessing it

1 minute ago, Young Polak said:

That is what is allegedly being reported

I copied what was in the article into my original post for those who have had trouble accessing it

What the Reds chairman is saying sounds about right to me. Unbelievable that there isn't prize money really.

36 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Farcical if true.

Its not really farcical.
I'm stunned that there hasn't been prize money as it is a norm all over the world, but its not as though its hurting anyone. God knows FFA need the money something chronic, you only have to look at the marketing that went into the current A League season as proof of that, and will have been trying to retain as much profit as possible given the clubs take the H&A gates. The surprise is that the clubs haven't really made a large issue of it in the past, but you can't blame FFA for wanting to maintain its own interests, which are at the end of the day, to better the game in all aspects in Australia.

22 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Its not really farcical.
I'm stunned that there hasn't been prize money as it is a norm all over the world, but its not as though its hurting anyone. God knows FFA need the money something chronic, you only have to look at the marketing that went into the current A League season as proof of that, and will have been trying to retain as much profit as possible given the clubs take the H&A gates. The surprise is that the clubs haven't really made a large issue of it in the past, but you can't blame FFA for wanting to maintain its own interests, which are at the end of the day, to better the game in all aspects in Australia.

Well when clubs like Brisbane had issues with paying players/staff despite winning the championship the year before, it's a major problem.

Unless that was due to a much separate issue which I've completely missed?

25 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Well when clubs like Brisbane had issues with paying players/staff despite winning the championship the year before, it's a major problem.

Unless that was due to a much separate issue which I've completely missed?

If Brisbane can't afford to pay their players or staff because of income they were never entitled to, they're doing it wrong.

I think there is prize money but it's based on league position and not finals.

I remember in the early years of the A-League (like s1 or s2), I came across a document that showed what it was, and basically position 5-8 had prize money based on league position while 1-4 got nothing for league position, instead the top 4 got prize money based on finals. It's conceivable that since then they changed it to completely league position based.

If you're wondering, from memory, the top prize was only like $200k back then lol.

FWIW, the clubs do get TV money, and since this league has a ridiculous amount of equalisation measures it's not a surprise that the FFA is more inclined to pay a fixed amount to each team (like from TV money) than something like prize money that goes more to better teams than worse ones.

Edited by Tesla