Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Adelaide United - Saturday August 22 in Darwin

Murfy1

The original report:

ADELAIDE UNITED FC V MELBOURNE CITY FC

Darwin

Event date

Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 19:00

Adelaide United FC in partnership with the NT Government and FFNT (Football Federation Northern Territory), will bring a football feast to the Top End.

The Club will play a match in Darwin as part of their agreement with the NT Government.

For those Football fans in the southern states, what better way to escape the winter weather than by combining your football passion with a short holiday to one of Australia's iconic tourism destinations.

Adeliade United FC will play a match at Larrakia Park, Darwin with times for the matches to be confirmed.

Saturday 22 August – Pre-season Hyundai A-League Adelaide United FC v Melbourne City FC

http://www.sportandrecreation.nt.gov.au/events/adelaide-united-fc-v-melbourne-city-fc-0#!

And a media report from Thursday indicates it's going ahead:

Amor has given Adelaide more than a week off before the squad reassembles to take a pre season tour of the Northern Territory, which culminates with a friendly against Melbourne City in Darwin on August 22.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/adelaide-uniteds-jimmy-jeggo-has-not-written-off-joining-austrias-sturm-graz-before-the-fifa-transfer-window-closes-this-month/story-fnii0g1d-1227472816510

I'd also guess that Melbourne City has given its players some time off as well before the match, hence the social media images of players like Novillo taking time off.

City set sights on Darwin in pre-season friendly
darwin_47j4xjbvrpn81ta29wubxaj0l.png?t=1

Wednesday, 19 August 2015 

Melbourne City FC will travel to Larrakia Park in Darwin to face Adelaide United in a pre season hit-out on Saturday 22 August.

The two clubs, in partnership with the NT Government and FFNT, are set to bring the Northern Territory its second glimpse of top-flight football in recent weeks after the Westfield FFA Cup tie between Darwin Olympic FC and the Reds earlier this month.

The match will be City’s final competitive fixture ahead of their FFA Cup Round of 16 clash against Wellington Phoenix next Wednesday, a rematch of last years A-League Elimination Final.

City advanced to the last 16 after a thrilling 2-1 win over Edgeworth FC in the Round of 32. Recent Socceroo call up Aaron Mooy sealed the win with a stunning double, which included a 94th minute free kick goal.

Kick off will be at 7pm (local) at Larrakia Park, with a curtain raiser involving two Darwin based teams set to highlight the local talent.

Tickets are available from the Darwin Entertainment Centre or at the gate.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-set-sights-on-darwin-in-pre-season-friendly/ixy0yvref4gm1ir4o907xg7bh

TBH I hope we don't risk too many of our better players in this. The one we need to win is the Cup match here on Wednesday. There's been a good jump in season-ticket sales today and we need to keep interest in the club high where it counts - in Melbourne.

TBH I hope we don't risk too many of our better players in this. The one we need to win is the Cup match here on Wednesday. There's been a good jump in season-ticket sales today and we need to keep interest in the club high where it counts - in Melbourne.

in before Germano accidentally runs over tuna, Gameiro Franjic and zullo in the team bus before crashing into a tree for season ending injuries for all 5.

• Like 1

Any idea of who travelled up and who didn't?

CM5m8WKUcAAhfyx.jpg:large

that suggests alot of youth players. Although I will say, after travelling at the same time as the squad against Edgeworth they make the youth players pick up the bags ahah

Edited by Dylan

Is this going to be on any Aussie TV channels? Something I might be able to dubiously-legally find a source for?

seems not. Last year they streamed it on youtube. I have tried to asked a few accounts on twitter to see if they are doing the same this year. Noone responded, so seems like its not happening

I dont think we have a chance in this game. We only arrived yesterday and it seems like the weather is hugely different from Melbourne.

Adelaide have been there since tuesday i think.

If i were JVS id just send out the youth team

Well pre-season is more about getting games into players and getting the style of play sorted for the new season.  Winning is not really a serious concern, (though nice to win one occasionally, but not this one).

We have a massive game Wednesday night, I'd hope we'd left quite a few blokes behind, sparing them the trip to Darwin and certainly don't want to see any starting players play 90 minutes, dry season evening or not (will still be warmer than the freezing days we've been having).  Hopefully plenty of minutes to the youth players, like you say.

• Like 1

Well pre-season is more about getting games into players and getting the style of play sorted for the new season.  Winning is not really a serious concern, (though nice to win one occasionally, but not this one).

We have a massive game Wednesday night, I'd hope we'd left quite a few blokes behind, sparing them the trip to Darwin and certainly don't want to see any starting players play 90 minutes, dry season evening or not (will still be warmer than the freezing days we've been having).  Hopefully plenty of minutes to the youth players, like you say.

I feel the same way. But, I can imagine the reaction on here when we do lose.

• Like 1

Adelaide face Sydney in the FFA Cup on Wednesday as well as our match versus Wellington; I suspect that today we are both going to field mainly youth players. 

TBH it's rather poor organization on both clubs' part to have arranged today's fixture knowing that both would be drawn against non-league opposition in the Round of 32 and therefore very likely to progress to the Round of 16 - and therefore might be asked to play next Wednesday. Either that or, knowing of today's match, the two FFA Cup matches could have been interchanged with two scheduled for 1st September and today could have been a meaningful fixture.

Today's result means nothing really. I think we'll all be pissed off if one or more of our senior players cops an injury.

Adelaide face Sydney in the FFA Cup on Wednesday as well as our match versus Wellington; I suspect that today we are both going to field mainly youth players. 

TBH it's rather poor organization on both clubs' part to have arranged today's fixture knowing that both would be drawn against non-league opposition in the Round of 32 and therefore very likely to progress to the Round of 16 - and therefore might be asked to play next Wednesday. Either that or, knowing of today's match, the two FFA Cup matches could have been interchanged with two scheduled for 1st September and today could have been a meaningful fixture.

Today's result means nothing really. I think we'll all be pissed off if one or more of our senior players cops an injury.

Maybe. It all depends on what the clubs are hoping to achieve with this match. Perhaps both clubs are fielding youth/trialiists to see how they cope under a match in demanding environmental conditions. It may mean a lot to some players and not so much to others.

Maybe. It all depends on what the clubs are hoping to achieve with this match. Perhaps both clubs are fielding youth/trialiists to see how they cope under a match in demanding environmental conditions. It may mean a lot to some players and not so much to others.

True. But they are charging people to come watch, so if it is a trial match its a bit cheeky to ask people to pay

Club website now says "a portion of the squad" has travelled to Darwin for this match. There's going to be Twitter coverage, so no doubt we'll see the match lists by about 7.00 p.m.

The club has never been great at posting updates on twitter. Lets hope this time is different.