Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

7 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

1. We don't know whether his contract has exit clauses that could enable him to move elsewhere at season's end.

2. We don't know the amount of room the club has under the salary cap. Even if the A-League were to increase the salary cap they are not going to do it by much. Also Novillo could merit a pay rise.

I would not be surprised if Bruno gets promoted to marquee (as in salary outside the cap) if Mooy departs and that would enable the club to bring in a name marquee (as in sports people have heard of him).

I have also heard that with Novillo and Bruno the club is pulling out all the tricks and loop holes in the cap to keep them both very happy by reducing their expenses

Just now, NewConvert said:

Read point 1 again.

Considering he wasn't more than average overseas last season, I highly doubt that.

Just look at Victory and Barbarouses. One of their best players, scored lots of goals yet under the cap. We can get away with paying less $$$ purely because of our CFA setup. Players want to play for us.

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

I have also heard that with Novillo and Bruno the club is pulling out all the tricks and loop holes in the cap to keep them both very happy by reducing their expenses

Exactly, we are owned by bloody smart football people. The old Heart would make Bruno marquee, the new City won't.

He'll be here for 4-5 years in his prime and we'll use the marquee spots properly. We don't want another Koren.

The Albanian Sharp Shooting Tard was given international marquee status because he has shown he can score reliably and the Tard supporters identify with a 'tricky,' aggressive, c*nt style player :droy:

Bruno has produced a club and HAL record breaking run in front of goals, our fans luv him, he shows passion on the field and just seems to be a great, levelheaded bloke off it according the the interviews I've read. He deserves marquee status.  Just think we gave Koren a bag full of money for what?

• Like 2

Just now, HEARTinator said:

The Albanian Sharp Shooting Tard was given international marquee status because he has shown he can score reliably and the Tard supporters identify with a 'tricky,' aggressive, c*nt style player :droy:

Bruno has produced a club and HAL record breaking run in front of goals, our fans luv him, he shows passion on the field and just seems to be a great, levelheaded bloke off it according the the interviews I've read. He deserves marquee status.  Just think we gave Koren a bag full of money for what?

The difference is Victory have 27,000 members and are the biggest non-AFL club in this city.

We still have so many seats to fill. Bruno is great and everyone loves him to bits but he doesn't bring in the eurosnob element of fans that we need to grow. A new, proper marquee will.

If Mooy leaves then Bruno could be upgraded but as it stands it makes no sense to when he still has a full year left on his contract and we only have one marquee spot available.

• Like 1

Bruno is doing a ridiculously amazing job. If he's asking questions about marquee status or we're contemplating giving him that position I'd be dangling the carrot in front of him and offer a marquee position if he can back up next season with a similar level and performance. I wouldn't be automatically be giving him marquee though if we can keep him under the cap and happy. 

In saying that if it comes down to him leaving or marquee spot give him whatever he wants 👍👍

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cityscape said:

The difference is Victory have 27,000 members and are the biggest non-AFL club in this city.

We still have so many seats to fill. Bruno is great and everyone loves him to bits but he doesn't bring in the eurosnob element of fans that we need to grow. A new, proper marquee will.

If Mooy leaves then Bruno could be upgraded but as it stands it makes no sense to when he still has a full year left on his contract and we only have one marquee spot available.

The eurosnob element can be fickle. Look at the Villa fiasco. One minute a few extra thousand turned up the next minute they were gone. We have a good list of players at the moment who are producing results on the score board. Some players are turning into crowd favourites. Why not invest in them as proven performers rather than go for the 'greener grass' that can be more expensive and elusive.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

The eurosnob element can be fickle. Look at the Villa fiasco. One minute a few extra thousand turned up the next minute they were gone. We have a good list of players at the moment who are producing results on the score board. Some players are turning into crowd favourites. Why not invest in them as proven performers rather than go for the 'greener grass' that can be more expensive and elusive.

More expensive? Have you seen our owners?

Our crowds are growing steadily this year but we need a marquee to turbocharge that.

16 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Bruno is doing a ridiculously amazing job. If he's asking questions about marquee status or we're contemplating giving him that position I'd be dangling the carrot in front of him and offer a marquee position if he can back up next season with a similar level and performance. I wouldn't be automatically be giving him marquee though if we can keep him under the cap and happy. 

In saying that if it comes down to him leaving or marquee spot give him whatever he wants 👍👍

I agree with this 100%, let's just bide our time and see how it goes. Calls here after every brilliant Tuna performance to "marquee him" are not right.

I don't know about big name marquees converting Eurosnobs. Sure, they will come down in their Luis Garcia tops and probably sing a cringe-worthy rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone". But I can't imagine them hanging around after that to be honest.

Did Del Piero actually have a measurable impact on Sydney FC attendance since he left?

Edited by Blackout

4 minutes ago, Blackout said:

I don't know about big name marquees converting Eurosnobs. Sure, they will come down in their Luis Garcia tops and probably sing a cringe-worthy rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone". But I can't imagine them hanging around after that to be honest.

Did Del Piero actually have a measurable impact on Sydney FC attendance since he left?

Yes. average crowds are up several thousand 

Would be great if we can keep him under the cap for next year but agree if he has a low minimum release clause then we should make him marquee for next season. As we will have to when his contract runs up as every other A league club will be lining up to make a proven goal scorer their marquee. 

3 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Don't care too much for eurosnobs but if we get their kids interested that could be a game changer.

Eurosnob kids are worse than their dads (generally speaking ). Got no idea on the game in general but if it's not from EPL or Barca/Real they wont watch. 

You just have to watch Berisha to understand how good Bruno is. Berisha is considered the greatest striker the league has ever seen and Bruno's performances in comparison make him look decidedly average. Bruno scores from inside the box, by beating an opponent, using his head, blasting the ball, placing the ball, whereas Berisha is generally a poacher and scores most of his goals within 10 yards. It's very much the same as the Theirry Henry v Ruud van Nistelrooy debate, I know which player I'd rather.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

You just have to watch Berisha to understand how good Bruno is. Berisha is considered the greatest striker the league has ever seen and Bruno's performances in comparison make him look decidedly average. Bruno scores from inside the box, by beating an opponent, using his head, blasting the ball, placing the ball, whereas Berisha is generally a poacher and scores most of his goals within 10 yards. It's very much the same as the Theirry Henry v Ruud van Nistelrooy debate, I know which player I'd rather.

Didnt seem to always be like that for Berisha, he was the king of taking people on under Brisbane and every time he had the ball at his feet you knew something was about to happen. Seems to have lost it under Victory Soccer Team. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, strider said:

what if i told u he may go to nycfc? 

Refer to the "Salary Cap Thread" if you want to know why we will always be vulnerable to losing quality players. If we can't compete on a level playing field with other opportunities that might be available to our players then odds-on we're going to lose out.

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Refer to the "Salary Cap Thread" if you want to know why we will always be vulnerable to losing quality players. If we can't compete on a level playing field with other opportunities that might be available to our players then odds-on we're going to lose out.

We can't compete on a level playing field internationally even if there weren't any regulations. For starters assume that he gets an offer for $2M/season, which club in Australia would be able to generate enough revenue to pay his salary? Bear in mind that the AFL is the biggest sport in this country and it has only been over the last decade with the introduction of the Gold Coast Suns that the first player was ever able to earn over $1M. Given the huge broadcast deal that the AFL has there is only a bakers dozen earning over $1M/season.

4 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

We can't compete on a level playing field internationally even if there weren't any regulations. For starters assume that he gets an offer for $2M/season, which club in Australia would be able to generate enough revenue to pay his salary? Bear in mind that the AFL is the biggest sport in this country and it has only been over the last decade with the introduction of the Gold Coast Suns that the first player was ever able to earn over $1M. Given the huge broadcast deal that the AFL has there is only a bakers dozen earning over $1M/season.

That's true but keep in mind each AFL team has a list of ~40 players and the average wage is $280,000 x 18 teams.

23 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Double spacing, very professional 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deeming said:

That's true but keep in mind each AFL team has a list of ~40 players and the average wage is $280,000 x 18 teams.

Very true. However the AFL form a good benchmark domestically and cricket would form an international comparison although it appears that the IPL is distorting everything.

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Very true. However the AFL form a good benchmark domestically and cricket would form an international comparison although it appears that the IPL is distorting everything.

Football is about to go the same with China spending huge money on average players 

Bruno has to be Marquee next year. There's no two ways about it 

15 minutes ago, Luke said:

Football is about to go the same with China spending huge money on average players 

Bruno has to be Marquee next year. There's no two ways about it 

Bruno has signed a contract for the 2016/2017 season. There are most certainly two ways about it. And most likely it'll mean Bruno stays under the cap. If he performs to a similar level next season then he can be tempted with a marquee position. 

• Like 1

If the club has to, it can re-sign Fornaroli for longer and for more money as a marquee next season. If he's the golden boot winner, or even just scoring 15+ goals over 27 games, then IMO it's a no-brainer to re-sign him as a marquee to secure him for next season.

Then the issue is to unearth a new salary cap Visa star like Fornaroli and Novillo. As long as the club has a good marquee or two (such as Mooy) and a few good Visa players inside the cap--such as Fornaroli, Novillo, Sorensen--the club is already a long way towards being a contender (like how victory were always going to contend like season with Millgan and Berisha as marquees, and [slightly younger] Khalfallah, Delpierre, Finkler and Barbarouses inside the cap). Getting the marquee spots and Visa spots right is massively important, as those players are potentially 60 to 70% of a team's starting lineup.

So CFG just needs to come up trumps in the summer transfer market again, and I'd back them to do that if Fornaroli becomes a marquee. Therefore I don't see any issues at all with making Fornaroli our marquee.

21 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Bruno has signed a contract for the 2016/2017 season. There are most certainly two ways about it. And most likely it'll mean Bruno stays under the cap. If he performs to a similar level next season then he can be tempted with a marquee position. 

So he can leave at the first half decent offer ? 

• jw1739 locked this topic