Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

I missed the game as I was unable to stream it and had to settle for twitter updates.

So overall how did we go were chances created?

Obviously goes without saying Mooy is a legend and a star. Deserves a fantastic career and hopefully can stay in the socceroos.

Overall I took from the reports is it sounded like a typical city performance from last year. created some chances and did not take them. I have read JVS said the boys struggled. Why? was it the ground that was bad to play on? are they not prepared yet?

I am not convinced with JVS looking at our side last night we still had some very handy players in and should of easily accounted for edgeworth.

I know it is silly to always compare but looking at victory smash out a 6-0 win is frustrating. Muscat seems to have this drilled mentality in the team that nobody is a walk up start and nobody gets a free ride everyone competes. I get the feeling JVS is too nice and as a result the players feel complacent well just my opinion anyway.

Thou a win is a win and we advance but I hope we look better going forward.

The thing to remember is it's pre-season. We weren't Premier League standard because we held Man City for 85 minutes in our last pre-season match, and we aren't pure rubbish because we were so hard to watch in this pre-season match.

Just like every other shit pre-season has meant nothing? Being able to mentally step up when you're playing one of the world's best teams is a no brainer. Being able to step up when you are playing a team you should comfortably beat in a knockout tournament is a challenge of a different order. 

• Like 1

How many times have I read to the effect that "...they made it tough to play the way we want to play"? Too many. Does he really think that our opponents are going to stand there and watch us while we "play the way we want to play"?

Also it's not true to say that we are in the "...early stages of our pre-season training." The squad has been training for around six weeks.

What I'd like to know in the wash-up of this match is why players such as Kuzmanovski, Hughes, Koren, Chapman, Marino and Franjic were not available, yet Mooy can come from nowhere and play a full 95 minutes. I can understand that players who have had an operation, such as Melling, Williams , Brown, Garuccio and Gameiro are not yet ready, but to have 11 players in total unavailable at this stage of the pre-season is astonishing. Or did van 't Schip take a calculated risk in omitting certain players such as Chapman and Hughes?

I think someone posted Kuzi is injured (which is kind of funny as he was playing just fine for the youth national team days before joining us).

Not really sure about the others?

Andy Harper said that Chapman was supposed to play but pulled with a virus yesterday.

Anyways, we played shit. Everyone was awful except Mooy, Novillo and Zinni who were serviceable at best. We scraped a win against a mediocre team three weeks into pre-season. Big deal.

If its shit again come the next game, perhaps cause to worry then.

Van 't Schip concedes: 'The boys struggled'

Melbourne City coach John van ‘t Schip was a relieved man after his side’s narrow 2-1 win over the plucky Edgeworth Eagles in the FFA Cup in Newcastle on Tuesday night.

City fell behind to a first-half penalty as they were put on the back-foot by the Northern NSW NPL club in the early stages.

But two stunning free-kicks from Aaron Mooy, including the winner in stoppage-time at the end of the match, spared the Hyundai A-League club’s blushes and sent them to the last 16.

“It’s always going to be a difficult game, these types of games and compliments to Edgeworth Eagles they made it difficult,” van ‘t Schip told Fox Sports.

“They went 1-0 up and then you know it’s always going to be a tough game and in the end we won it.

“The main thing is going through, getting past (this round) and we achieved that.

“Now it’s looking forward, getting players more fit and looking to the next Cup round and also hoping to get players back from injury as well.”

With his side still in the early stages of their pre-season training, van ‘t Schip conceded his players couldn’t impose themselves on the match the way they wanted.

The boys were struggling…they are honest and it was tough conditions for them to play the way we want to play,” the City boss said.

“At 1-1 the opponent will always have an opportunity and you have to be very concentrated and sharp because we didn’t finish the chances we got.

“It’s then you know it’s still possible for them and for us (to win). It was a nervous game and in the end with two set pieces you win the game.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/van-t-schip-concedes-boys-struggled#uAl0rKeWcmpejktD.99

What a load of total bullshit that whole interview was. The Tards had no trouble disposing of their opponent. We've had 3 months since the last season to prepare and get sharp for the FFA Cup and now we find that the "boys were struggling" against semi-pro players. Get the hell out of here JVS!!!!!

• Like 2

I missed the game as I was unable to stream it and had to settle for twitter updates.

Obviously goes without saying Mooy is a legend and a star. Deserves a fantastic career and hopefully can stay in the socceroos.

Overall I took from the reports is it sounded like a typical city performance from last year. created some chances and did not take them. I have read JVS said the boys struggled. Why? was it the ground that was bad to play on? are they not prepared yet?

I am not convinced with JVS looking at our side last night we still had some very handy players in and should of easily accounted for edgeworth.

I know it is silly to always compare but looking at victory smash out a 6-0 win is frustrating. Muscat seems to have this drilled mentality in the team that nobody is a walk up start and nobody gets a free ride everyone competes. I get the feeling JVS is too nice and as a result the players feel complacent well just my opinion anyway.

i was at the game and you always felt that Edgeworth wernt going to score. But, They defended brilliantly and put on enormous pressure for the whole game and were the better team for most. Players looked under done and sluggish as most were stretching out cramps throughout. Zullo was very phsyical and always pushed forward. Was probably impressed by Retre the most funilly enough. Especially when he was moved to midfield.

Oh and victory put out a much stronger side against a third tier team.

What are the chances of the next match being in Victoria?

Slim I am guessing?

We'd have to draw one of Victory, Heidelberg, Hume or Oakleigh (if they go through).

The remaining six A League teams are placed in a pot of which the first four out are drawn to play each other, the other two will get drawn against a local club away.

i was at the game and you always felt that Edgeworth wernt going to score. But, They defended brilliantly and put on enormous pressure for the whole game and were the better team for most. Players looked under done and sluggish as most were stretching out cramps throughout. Zullo was very phsyical and always pushed forward. Was probably impressed by Retre the most funilly enough. Especially when he was moved to midfield.

Oh and victory put out a much stronger side against a third tier team.

Try eighth tier team...

The Balmain Tigers aren't even the strongest side in their local suburb by a long stretch.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

We created very few chances from open play, most of our scoring chances were from set pieces. We struggled because we allowed the other team into the game and for a large part of the second half they controlled the game. Its hard to compare our game to the visitors, Balmain play at a lower level than Edgeworth. I share you concerns about JVS though

For me, we cannot look at any game we play with the attitude that it's not important because it's not a league game. If the club is involved then we should expect a good performance, professional attitude and approach.. The club should have the mentality to win every game no matter if it's a friendly or training game behind closed doors.. 

Thats how a winning culture is formed, to be almost imbarrased by an NPL team from Newcastle we just can't seem to get out of the Heart shadow and that to me is very concerning.

when are we going to be a good team ???

• Like 4

Seriously guys, some of you look through rose coloured glasses and how many of you actually watched the game, legally or otherwise - and the whole of it?

Everyone had a shocker. Mooy for all the plaudits for two superb kicks would not have been happy with his performance either. He couldn't pass or tackle and lost the ball more often than normal and managed to send his cross field crosses out into touch 4 or 5 times.

Don't let a couple of kicks in the game make up for a mediocre performance from him as well.

So, no-one played well in that game. No-one!

• Like 2

But I'm tired of that shit. He's always got some form of excuse. Seems to think that if he really had the players he wanted - such as the Barcelona squad - he could win the league. So could any of us on here. The mark of a good coach is you get more out of the squad that you've got than anyone else could - you make the sum of the parts worth more than if you look at the players individually. That's what the Muscats and Arnolds of this world do.

Completely agree. The old Heart  'losing is okay if you have an excuse, things will get better eventually' mentality is something that sadly still remains a part of the club and it will most likely remain unless changes are made at the top. JVS seems to share a similar excuse-first attitude to that of John "We were unlcky" Aloisi . In my original post, I was just trying to make a  point that its interesting that a member of the club has confirmed something (not very specific mind you) as most here would agree that its pretty rare.

Edited by OG-12

I kind of get the "win's a win, at least we're still in the competition" attitude, but I think it's worth considering that if most of us are pretty disgusted with the performance (and assuming most of us have already signed up as members, or will, regardless), how many new supporters will that sort of form attract the club, when Victoria had its entire game broadcast and massacred its opposition (I know, it was a lower standard opponent)?

We're already thinking "Here we go again" about season 15/16 and it's only just gone August. How does that tie in with the club's membership goal (wasn't it 14,000)? I would say that the potential of that being a realistic target depends entirely on what we do between now until the end of November. If we're 6-8 points adrift of Victory by then and we've done nothing of note in the FFA Cup, I think it's a pipedream to expect any more members than we had last year.

Are we the only A-league team so far that managed to win by a single goal while others had a 2+ goal advantage?

Yes. And probably the only one so far to use a match-day squad comprising (with only a couple of exceptions) second-choice seniors, an overweight injury-replacement, and youth team players. 

I kind of get the "win's a win, at least we're still in the competition" attitude, but I think it's worth considering that if most of us are pretty disgusted with the performance (and assuming most of us have already signed up as members, or will, regardless), how many new supporters will that sort of form attract the club, when Victoria had its entire game broadcast and massacred its opposition (I know, it was a lower standard opponent)?

We're already thinking "Here we go again" about season 15/16 and it's only just gone August. How does that tie in with the club's membership goal (wasn't it 14,000)? I would say that the potential of that being a realistic target depends entirely on what we do between now until the end of November. If we're 6-8 points adrift of Victory by then and we've done nothing of note in the FFA Cup, I think it's a pipedream to expect any more members than we had last year.

I think that we might be struggling to match last years numbers as most of the Villa fans won't be back on the strength of our on field performances last season and the 4 game Villa fiasco. Not many others would have been attracted by our on field performances in a year when the visitors won the double.

As far as I'm aware it's completely random. Though if an A-League side draws a state league side the match is always played at the state league venue 

Nah, its not like that.

There has to be 3 member federation clubs (MFC) in the quarter finals. And with the ffa pot system, the round of 16 should look exactly like this

Game 1: A-league vs A-league

Game 2: A-League vs A-League

Game 3: Mfc vs A-league

Game 4: Mfc vs A-league

Game 5: Mfc vs A-league

Game 6: Mfc vs Mfc

Game 7: Mfc vs Mfc

Game 8: Mfc vs Mfc

That means the quarters usually looks like this (assuming all a-league clubs against mbf's win)

Game 2: A-League vs A-League

Game 3: Mbf vs A-League

Game 4: Mbf vs Mbf

Therefore Semis are most likely

Game 2: Mbf vs A-league

• Like 1

I think that we might be struggling to match last years numbers as most of the Villa fans won't be back on the strength of our on field performances last season and the 4 game Villa fiasco. Not many others would have been attracted by our on field performances in a year when the visitors won the double.

Couldn't agree more. Duff and Villa were probably the two biggest names in the A-League last year. Fat lot of good that did the membership drive when we saw the same old garbage up until the new year.

If the club is serious about seeing a spike in memberships, it has to go deep in the FFA Cup and then bolt out of the blocks in the regular season. Simple as that.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 2

I think most PPL's preferences would be:

1. A match against a NPL opponent in Suburban Melbourne for a change of location for once. 

2. A match against an A-League opponent in Melbourne.

3. A match against a NPL opponent interstate.

4. A match against an A-League opponent interstate.

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic