Melbourne Football

Manchester City vs Melbourne City - Saturday July 18 at CBUS Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Cityscape

Melbourne Heart would have folded in two years with the owners just running it on an oily rag. They would have lost interest with another season of finishing last. 

They had a contract in place with the FFA forcing them to invest a certain amount each year, so nope.

• Like 3

They had a contract in place with the FFA forcing them to invest a certain amount each year, so nope.

And when that contracted ended? Renew it and keep the status-quo going? The contract must not have made them spend that much if we had to move all over melbourne to train and didn't spend anything on facilities. 

I don't know if it's legally possible due to the ICC but surely the right thing to do would have been to play us after the competition is complete. I wouldn't imagine that ICC would have any problems once the event is over for Man City to do as they please. Surely, provided its legally possible, something like this would have been the right thing to do and most beneficial to the club. I see minimal advantage in the game being held on the Gold Coast, perhaps even detrimantal impact to the current member base. 

Edited by n i k o

I don't know if it's legally possible due to the ICC but surely the right thing to do would have been to play us after the competition is complete. I wouldn't imagine that ICC would have any problems once the event is over for Man City to do as they please. Surely, provided its legally possible, something like this would have been the right thing to do and most beneficial to the club. I see minimal advantage in the game being held on the Gold Coast, perhaps even detrimantal impact to the current member base. 

The contract stated that they aren't allowed to play in Victoria at all. Marketing a Manchester City clash against Melbourne City whether it be before or after would still detract from the ICC tournament to some extent which is exactly why that clause has been put in place.

It may not seem like it would make a difference, but there would be thousands of people wouldn't want to pay $150 to see Manchester City against Roma when they could watch them for less than half the price against Melbourne City.

Totally understandable from the club, their hands are tied and they did the best they could do. It was either Gold Coast or nothing.

Out of Melbourne City's control, but not out of CFG's and Man City's control. Unless they forgot they have a club in Melbourne, they shouldn't be agreeing to play a tournament in Australia that specifically forbids them from playing a game against us in Melbourne. It's a complete embarrassment that Man City are coming to Australia and won't play a game in Melbourne against Melbourne City. Honestly I don't even particularly care about seeing the game, rather I'm bothered by the completed disregard and disrespect it shows towards us by coming to Australia and not playing us in Melbourne.

Honestly it would have been better if they just didn't come to Australia at all, I'm sure they could have gotten just as much, if not more, money by taking their preseason to somewhere else in Asia.

Bring back Melbourne Heart.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm amazed at how many people heard/read the response 'There was an agreement in place so we couldn't play another game in Melbourne' and apparently just thought 'Well that's fair enough then.' You know who actually does wield enough power to go into these meetings and start making demands or compromises (say, playing a game against Melbourne City at Simonds Stadium, for example) on behalf of their members? The City Football Group does.

Did CFG do anything whatsoever to negotiate a better outcome for Melbourne City members? Of course they didn't. It wouldn't have even crossed their minds. They couldn't give a shit about us.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

The contract stated that they aren't allowed to play in Victoria at all. Marketing a Manchester City clash against Melbourne City whether it be before or after would still detract from the ICC tournament to some extent which is exactly why that clause has been put in place.

It may not seem like it would make a difference, but there would be thousands of people wouldn't want to pay $150 to see Manchester City against Roma when they could watch them for less than half the price against Melbourne City.

Totally understandable from the club, their hands are tied and they did the best they could do. It was either Gold Coast or nothing.

Good point but easy to fix, make the Melbourne game open to Melbourne City and Man City season ticket holders only. It would boost 'membership' and clearly not detract from the ICC as this would then not be a normal competing commercial venture.

Deluka is probably right, although I'd still like to believe there is a way around it. Perhaps though even if there is a way that wouldn't detract from the ICC they would probably still stand in the way even if Man City decided to go have a kick at the local soccer pitch. 

Seems like Man City are about to sign Pogba and want it done so he can come on the Aus tour too. 

No doubt this whole Gold Coast thing is a joke and a slap in the face. But it seems like the rage that was generated by Melb City fans is going to make them at least give us something when they are actually in Melbourne. Probably something like access to training sessions and the like. That email Benzema23 got seems to suggest that

My thoughts exactly.

I'm amazed at how many people heard/read the response 'There was an agreement in place so we couldn't play another game in Melbourne' and apparently just thought 'Well that's fair enough then.' You know who actually does wield enough power to go into these meetings and start making demands or compromises (say, playing a game against Melbourne City at Simonds Stadium, for example) on behalf of their members? The City Football Group does.

Did CFG do anything whatsoever to negotiate a better outcome for Melbourne City members? Of course they didn't. It wouldn't have even crossed their minds. They couldn't give a shit about us.

Agreed. It is just another in a series of PR fuck-ups by whoever in CFG it is that deals with this sort of thing. Villa, Lampard, Manchester City's visit to Melbourne - they fit a pattern. I no longer care about the ins and outs of it, who did what, when and to whom, but the end result is that a lot of Melbourne City fans are pissed off with what has happened, and it is beggars belief that the visit of our parent club to Melbourne should be surrounded by such negativity when it could have been such a happy occasion.

• Like 1

The biggest fuck up over all of this is not that they are playing on the Gold Coast but the lack communication to 'valued' members as to why it is being held up there. I refuse to believe that there isn't someone in there that has common sense and realises beforehand that members might be pissed off when there's no immediate justification for such a location. And on top of that it all came out because they were forced to divulge the terms and conditions of the ICC. 

• Like 2

Melbourne Heart would have folded in two years with the owners just running it on an oily rag. They would have lost interest with another season of finishing last. 

Heart's owners were selling. If CFG didn't buy MH, someone else presumably would have. And who knows what they would have brought to the table?

Melbourne Heart had been a shambles, but it was in Melbourne and it had AAMI Park. If the right ownership group had stepped up and made the right moves to create a winner here, everything else would have fallen into place anyway. Melburnians will get out and support any successful team playing elite-level sport.

• Like 1

Heart's owners were selling. If CFG didn't buy MH, someone else presumably would have. And who knows what they would have brought to the table?

Melbourne Heart had been a shambles, but it was in Melbourne and it had AAMI Park. If the right ownership group had stepped up and made the right moves to create a winner here, everything else would have fallen into place anyway. Melburnians will get out and support any successful team playing elite-level sport.

Or they could have been just as bad? 

• Like 1

Or they could have been just as bad? 

Absolutely, and do just enough to make a couple of mill on the investment.

We'll never know, though I think a franchise in Melbourne is always going to have value (didn't we sell for more than the Wanderers?). Melbourne's not Gold Coast, where time after time sporting franchises have tried and failed (from a business perspective). Melbourne's always been a 'build it and they will come' prospect, as the Victory and Storm have shown.

I reckon our defence and midfield pretty much picks itself (although there is a question mark around Mooy's fitness, and who would replace him).

But our forward line is completely up in the air ATM. Kennedy is gone, and Williams, Brown, Novillo and Gameiro are all recovering from injuries. Who else is left? The team might have to select youth team attackers to start against Man City next Saturday... 

I reckon our defence and midfield pretty much picks itself (although there is a question mark around Mooy's fitness, and who would replace him).

But our forward line is completely up in the air ATM. Kennedy is gone, and Williams, Brown, Novillo and Gameiro are all recovering from injuries. Who else is left? The team might have to select youth team attackers to start against Man City next Saturday... 

And they expect City fans to pay see this, they must be joking lol.

Or will some of their players line up for us to get some match practice?

EXCLUSIVE: Zullo: Bring on Raheem Sterling and City!

Thursday, 16 July 2015

Aidan Ormond

Fresh from his first training session with Melbourne City FC, Socceroo Michael Zullo declared he was ready to make an impact in Saturday’s glamour friendly against EPL powerhouse Manchester City.

Zullo was one of the new Melbourne City faces who trained at the Southport School on the Gold Coast on Thursday morning ahead of the clash at Cbus Stadium.  

After a wretched final year of his contract with with Utrecht which saw the attack minded left-sided defender out for the year, he feels ready to re-ignite his career in Melbourne with City.  

At 26, he senses it’s now or never.

And with the EPL big boys – who could feature new signing Raheem Sterling in Saturday’s game - it’s the perfect platform to announce he’s back, as Zullo explained to  www.a-league.com.au  after his first full session under John van 't Schip. 

“I’m going to enjoy this week as we build up to Man City.

"If I’m lucky and the coaches think I’m ready I hope to get some minutes against Man City which will be my first in 12 months.”

And he could end up marking Sterling, City’s new blockbuster signing, captured for a staggering 49 million pounds.

“I’ve been lucky enough to play against some world class players in my time and obviously he’s just been bought for around 50 million pounds, or something outrageous like that.

“So it’s always interesting to test yourself against the best and a lot of people are watching this game.

“I’ve been keeping really fit since my rehab [from injury] and this club [Melbourne City] in terms of sports science and facilities is better than most clubs I’ve seen in Europe.

“And that was a big reason for me signing. [Melbourne] City have all the fundamentals to be a massive powerhouse in the A-League, with the facilities, the coaching, the backing.

“It's just a matter of time." 

Zullo was joined at training by former Premier League player Aaron Hughes as well as triallist Jason Trifiro from Wanderers as City coach John van ‘t Schip fine-tuned preparations for the meeting with their ‘sister’ club in the City Football Group.

And for Zullo, who’s signed a one-year deal, he’s declared a new-attitude is vital if he’s to light up the A-League again.

The former Brisbane Roar and Adelaide player conceded his confidence had taken a battering after being out for a year.

But Zullo reflected on what he needs to do, and he’s convinced a more cavalier mentality is needed by him to stand out from the crowd.

“Anyone can play it safe and if you’re afraid to make a mistake that’s what happens.

“If feel it’s the players who back themselves, not necessarily the talented ones, who make it. They’re the ones who are prepared to go out there and take risks.

“It’s a high-risk, high reward kind of environment. Anyone can play the percentages, it’s about backing yourself to make a difference.

“It’s what I keep telling myself. Getting the hunger back and falling in love with the game again, backing myself to take on players. 

“And I've always been about being fast down the line and taking risks."

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/zullo-bring-on-raheem-sterling-and-city/w6nzqsur86241ahazp7omger2

Edited by Murfy1

Should be a good run-out for both sides. A chance to give many new players a run.

Also this: Melbourne City’s Tando Velaphi will be first player mic’d-up live in game with EPL stars of Manchester City

Another thing, Zullo and Hughes are reportedly likely to feature: 

And according to a club source, both [Michael Zullo and Aaron Hughes] will be in the mix to take on Man City in a pre-season practice match at CBus Super Stadium.  

twitter.com/MelbourneCity/status/621444310077014016

It just shows how much more popular the European teams are than the domestic teams. This will probably be the biggest non-derby crowd of the season for us.

Hopefully this sends a strong message to CFG that the next time the 2 teams play in Australia it's played at a sold out AAMI. Regardless of contracts.

• Like 1

Hopefully this sends a strong message to CFG that the next time the 2 teams play in Australia it's played at a sold out AAMI. Regardless of contracts.

I did speak to someone at the club about it in passing so wasn't on the record as such but it seemed they know how bad the miscommunication was with all of this.

Do agree 100% would be great at a packed out AAMI park.

• Like 1

I did speak to someone at the club about it in passing so wasn't on the record as such but it seemed they know how bad the miscommunication was with all of this.

Do agree 100% would be great at a packed out AAMI park.

Mrs JW said the same over breakfast. If you're a neutral these matches are often a massive disappointment but this would have been something special for both sets of City fans.

My only disapointment is, im going to the liverpool game in adelaide. If it was announced earlier i would have gone to brisbane, and done the double with this game. 

It could be worse - they did play adelaide behind closed doors a few days ago.

Anyhow, its on TV - all good.