Melbourne Football

Pre Season 2015

Dylan

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to find out what time we play against Newcastle today?

It's part of Newcastle's six-day training camp here in Melbourne. I don't think the match has any real significance at all, because both clubs will treat it more of a training exercise than the "real thing." The last thing any one needs at this stage is injuries to their players. So for once I don't see this as a pointer to what will happen in the season at all. 

However, I'd be interested to know who actually gets on the field for us in terms of recovery from injury etc. Particularly Novillo and Hughes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

"Melbourne City went down to a clinical Adelaide United behind closed doors at CFA Melbourne this afternoon."

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/report-melbourne-city-1-3-adelaide-united/4lz4elva2gwr130oaxlnsy8g0

Give us half a season to gel then we can realise the squad is not good enough to compete for the finals then JVS can pull his "but we had injuries" card and it'll all be good :)

"Melbourne City went down to a clinical Adelaide United behind closed doors at CFA Melbourne this afternoon."

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/report-melbourne-city-1-3-adelaide-united/4lz4elva2gwr130oaxlnsy8g0

Not a good result for us. That's two losses to Adelaide in two matches. Also seems we're trying to play the off-side trap too often, leaving us wide open to a pacy side such as Adelaide. It might work against the likes of Oakleigh and North Geelong - and it did, but will bring us undone against better sides.

Not a good result for us. That's two losses to Adelaide in two matches. Also seems we're trying to play the off-side trap too often, leaving us wide open to a pacy side such as Adelaide. It might work against the likes of Oakleigh and North Geelong - and it did, but will bring us undone against better sides.

All in all though, it's pre season, who knows what squad we put out today besides 4-5 players, we wouldn't have been taking it as serious due too FFA cup match very soon.. not gonna judge by pre-season.

The thing that slightly concerns me about this is that Adelaide were referred to as 'clinical'. For the last couple of years the reds have been notorious for not putting shots away, so it may be that they've sorted this part of their game out a bit, or (more concerningly) our defence is still a bit questionable.

But then again, it's a practice match and I've got no idea what the squads were so probably means sweet FA.

• Like 1

What's more concerning is that it was 3-0 by the 58th minute (Jeggo 16', Carrusca 21', Cirio 58'). Dekker's goal came in the 90th...

i really dont think these behind closed door games mean much at all. The only thing you could say is that adelaide seems that it is going to do its usual thing of peaking early and then fading after xmas. Something they have done for the last few seasons. 

With Dylan on this. I don't think we can get too hung up on pre season games. 

The problem in past seasons is we never played well against strong opposition in pre-season. The cup demo of Nix shows things are different this year. Even the demo of Oakley - easy to dismiss but it's not that long since we beat them 1-0 in pre season.

i also wouldn't worry that we lost to Adelaide earlier. It was our youth side vs their firsts and even so we almost won.

• Like 2

It is hard to know what to make of a game like this but I don't take much out of the quote, they're not about to say "Melbourne City went down to a poor Adelaide United behind closed doors at CFA Melbourne this afternoon."

It is hard to know what to make of a game like this but I don't take much out of the quote, they're not about to say "Melbourne City went down to a poor Adelaide United behind closed doors at CFA Melbourne this afternoon."

Clinical usually means they had 3 chances and scored with all three of them. But, in this case it depends on how much spin they put into that