Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

13 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Personally I think the league has outgrown the whole marquee concept.  It devalues the other players and can be a like a 'poisoned apple' when you get a 'Koren" type player who fails dismally.  Also, as soon as a player has a stand-out season (like Bruno), then the only way to keep them is to make them marquee, which the FFA doesn't actually support ... i.e. Bruno is not good enough for the FFA marquee handout.

I keep saying the answer is to exclude foreign players from the salary cap.  Also allow for one senior and one youth Aussie player outside of the cap as well.

I completely agree that the concept is out-dated. But if you go to 7 players outside the cap why not go the whole hog and remove the cap altogether? I also think that the numbers cap is out-dated as well. It is ridiculous that the club has to let a player such as Phil Petreski go simply because he's reached a certain age.
The fact that some clubs don't have any marquee players is proof that they are quite capable of being financially responsible.
To me everything FFA does discourages investment in the League and inhibits the ability of clubs to grow and develop their own identities.

• Like 1

Whilst I'm generally in favour of the cap I'd be much keener to at least keep a minimum mandated payment structure for players so that they can be proper professionals. One problem with the cap and marquee system is that it potentially limits what can be played to local players, again contributing to an overseas exodus of local players. In itself that isn't a problem but it encourages them to leave a season or two before they are ready as they can't be accommodated under the cap as they improve, Stefan Mauk would be a good example of this. I do think that it's important to look at expanding the playing list size as it's a real disadvantage for our teams playing ACL

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Personally I think the league has outgrown the whole marquee concept.  It devalues the other players and can be a like a 'poisoned apple' when you get a 'Koren" type player who fails dismally.  Also, as soon as a player has a stand-out season (like Bruno), then the only way to keep them is to make them marquee, which the FFA doesn't actually support ... i.e. Bruno is not good enough for the FFA marquee handout.

I keep saying the answer is to exclude foreign players from the salary cap.  Also allow for one senior and one youth Aussie player outside of the cap as well.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I completely agree that the concept is out-dated. But if you go to 7 players outside the cap why not go the whole hog and remove the cap altogether? I also think that the numbers cap is out-dated as well. It is ridiculous that the club has to let a player such as Phil Petreski go simply because he's reached a certain age.
The fact that some clubs don't have any marquee players is proof that they are quite capable of being financially responsible.
To me everything FFA does discourages investment in the League and inhibits the ability of clubs to grow and develop their own identities.

I think that the definition of 'marquee' has changed. It originally meant an exceptional player that would attract crowds and the FFA still works to this concept. In practice it has become two players that are paid outside the salary cap. The other change was that once we had the Australian and International marquees, now the rule does not care whether the marquees' nationality. There was also room up to $150k outside the cap for a youth marquee but I don't know whether it was ever used or remains in the rule book.

What the FFA is now trying to do is to get the whole league to chip in for an International marquee because the kind of player that will bring in additional fans to the stadiums, to watch a game or to generate media interest are now beyond the financial capacity of any given club. This is the reality of a game where the commodities are available on a global market where the prize players command salaries beyond Australia's capacity to pay. This will never work as we are going to get players commanding a salary that will not be payable and their abilities are not going to lift the club to a proper level. I would rather that clubs bring in better quality coaches rather than players. We also saw how David Villa whose capabilities and record are well known was not able to do much for the club other than temporarily inflate the membership base and disappoint the fans. If a club wants to bring a renowned  international marquee let them do so under their own steam.

As for poisonous relationships between players because a highly paid player is not performing is one that will always happen in sport (as well as private enterprise). That is a man management issue. Examples abound in the EPL (Di Maria is one case at Man U and I imagine Rooney could now fit in that category), in the AFL Tom Scully at GWS or the Western Bulldog's $1M man - Boyd is it? So I don't think that it is an issue.

Right now I am not in favour of removing the salary cap because I don't think that the game has found a steady financial footing and a repeat of the NSL would send the game the way of basketball. However I do concede that there is an issue and one which I don't think that I know how to resolve.

As for removing the number of players cap - I do have one issue with this. During the season proper those players that don't get game time, how do we keep them fit and ready to slot into the seniors team? In earlier seasons they could play with the NYL team but now the youth teams are part of the state leagues and so don't play concurrently. Removing cap will also increase the salary bill. And lets not forget that player's salaries are now backed by the FFA so that they will always get paid. Again, I concede that there is an issue with regards to the ACL and I have no answer to it.

7 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

As for removing the number of players cap - I do have one issue with this. During the season proper those players that don't get game time, how do we keep them fit and ready to slot into the seniors team? In earlier seasons they could play with the NYL team but now the youth teams are part of the state leagues and so don't play concurrently. Removing cap will also increase the salary bill. And lets not forget that player's salaries are now backed by the FFA so that they will always get paid. Again, I concede that there is an issue with regards to the ACL and I have no answer to it.

There are positives and negatives for every option, that is a negative but its a question of which set of positives and negatives will work best for the League rather than looking for an option with no negatives

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Lynch writing that Melbourne City should go after Cahill, and that the club could use the "stardust":

There is one club that plays hugely attractive football but has smaller crowds than most.

It has a tremendous training set up – one that would appeal to a veteran like Cahill, who needs to ensure his health and wellbeing at this late stage of his career – and plays in arguably the best purpose-built rectangular stadium in the land.

It also has, should it choose to splash the cash, deeper pockets than any other club in the competition.

Cahill might well be the sort of big name attraction that could really benefit a club like Melbourne City, which has shown in the past with its capture of Spain superstar David Villa for a short lived guest period, that is not afraid to act boldly, think outside the square and make grand gestures.

The Villa experiment didn't work. Yes, crowds were up in the home games he played, but he didn't stay long enough to see if he could generate sustained gate increases. He certainly got them plenty of media exposure and lifted their name into the public domain, however.

Cahill, if he did come back home to turn out in City's light blue, would be a bigger domestic attraction than the former Barcelona and Atletico Madrid star and would draw not just hardcore football fans but the sort of "theatregoers" who turned out in great numbers when Alessandro Del Piero signed for Sydney.

The caveat, of course, is that City would have to be interested and would need to be convinced that he could continue to do a job on the pitch as well as off it.

But if there is one side that could do with a sprinkling of the Socceroos stardust to generate the sort of publicity that could see it rival the league's best-supported club, Melbourne Victory, it's City.

Whether Gallop has spoken to Cahill or not would be immaterial if City decided to make a play for the Socceroo frontman – the odds are that they would probably get their man.

And at least we wouldn't then have to listen to any more of this unseemly squabbling and could just enjoy the spectacle.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/david-gallop-tim-cahill-stop-squabbling-and-sort-out-an-aleague-deal-20160605-gpbw7d.html

Edited by Murfy1

2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Whether you think he'd be a good signing or not, imagine our starting strikers being Tim Cahill and Bruno Fornaroli. Wowee.

But without Mooy it could end up massively unbalanced. Cahil and Fornaroli as marquee would be foolish. We need a marquee #10 plus hopefully Bruno. So for me signing Cahill makes little sense. 

He should go to the Wanderers. They've needed a player exactly like him since inception. 

49 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But without Mooy it could end up massively unbalanced. Cahil and Fornaroli as marquee would be foolish. We need a marquee #10 plus hopefully Bruno. So for me signing Cahill makes little sense. 

He should go to the Wanderers. They've needed a player exactly like him since inception. 

I'd say "would", not "could." Anyway, IMO not only is Cahill a wanker, I don't see why City should be the club to prop up the league financially when all FFA does is make up anti-City rules.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jovan said:

Would they be thinking that caceras can do the roll if they bring cahill in?

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'd say "would", not "could." Anyway, IMO not only is Cahill a wanker, I don't see why City should be the club to prop up the league financially when all FFA does is make up anti-City rules.

"New FFA regulations have just been announced stating that clubs with the word "City" in their name cannot sign any players who have scored more than 45 goals for Australia."

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

"New FFA regulations have just been announced stating that clubs with the word "City" in their name cannot sign any players who have scored more than 45 goals for Australia."

Don't give FFA any further stupid ideas - they have enough without us helping them.

34 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

If you say Sydney really fast it sounds like City. FFA may yet have to recall that rule.

17 minutes ago, Jovan said:

With latest comment that we've been working for a while on our new Marquee it could mean we may have to wait until the Euros or Copas have completed to name the player. 

We can only hope.

Yes we can only hope! 

But maybe waiting for Messi to finish in Copa America.

8 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Similar colours, big name marquee we are apparently signing. Might be a sign? Clutching at straws at who this big Marquee might be. 

I only ask because the top is of Olimpique de Marseille whom he played for. 

Edited by n i k o

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Red or Dead said:

Galata are apparently trying to push Wesley Schneider out by slapping him with a EUR2m fine - I'd be happy if MCFC paid the fine and made him our marquee ;) 

@hakz7 what do you think of him?

Galatasaray have become a joke really... The board have no clue what they're doing.

He has a 8-9mill release clause so if he's leaving, he definitely wouldn't come to Australia. But to answer your question, the bloke is still all class.

• Like 3

On 3/31/2016 at 7:52 AM, possiblygeorge said:

Can't find the transfer thread so i thought i'd put my two cents here.

Just finished watching the Southend Vs Sheffield in League One in England Football and one player stood out for mine. This guy goes by the name of Jack Payne, plays for Southend, managed to bag MOTM, but jeez he looks like a solid player.

The commentary team were banging on about him for a good three minutes post-match, he's really that good. He's a midfielder, short lad, but looks like a decent replacement for Aaron Mooy if he leaves. Scored the goal that sealed it for Southend and kept their League One playoff hopes alive.

EDIT: just running through the highlights post-game they're showing, there's so much about him that is exactly like Aaron Mooy. If i can find highlights of this match i'll pass it through here. He's also out of contract at end of season and looking for a new Club by the looks of it.

Nek minnut. Jack Payne gets a move from Southend to Huddersfield, as does Mooy. 2 incredible players.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Cahill won't be announced until after his contract is up.

That's on the 21st of this month (Tomorrow) correct?

We know he is a 1 season guest... not marquee.

Which brings me to these next questions. Considering the reports are saying that we had already secured him from last season... Who the fuck is this mysterious man? Does his contract end on the same date? Is that why we haven't/can't announce him? Eager as fuck to see who he might be.

17 minutes ago, Deviant said:

So Cahill won't be announced until after his contract is up.

That's on the 21st of this month (Tomorrow) correct?

We know he is a 1 season guest... not marquee.

Which brings me to these next questions. Considering the reports are saying that we had already secured him from last season... Who the fuck is this mysterious man? Does his contract end on the same date? Is that why we haven't/can't announce him? Eager as fuck to see who he might be.

I'm with you. We must have had signed along way out because I don't think the FFA would have brought in this new Cahill rule.

Maybe we'll get a double announcement. Cahill and New Marquee. Say 21st around 10ish.