Melbourne Football

Season 2015/2016 (start planning now)

Murfy1

Here's my "must start" players for next season, based on the currently signed up squad, with the only assumptions being that the Novillo rumour is true (that he's accepted the offer he reportedly got) and that Velaphi will be re-signed:

Novillo           Kennedy               ?

Mooy                Koren    

Paartalu/Melling

?           Kisnorbo    Chapman        ?

Velaphi 

Bench

Redmayne

Clisby/Retre

Paartalu/Melling

Garuccio/Marino

Williams

Omitted

Clisby/Retre

Garuccio/Marino

Mauk

Brown

Hoffman

I expect there to be real competition for places next season, even to make the bench, so that's why I've got a few either-or selections above (e.g. Paartalu/Melling [Melling was trialled as the deepest midfielder in Abu Dhabi. I can see him playing there again], and Clisby/Retre on the bench).

Based on the above there are 7 free spots for new signings, and (at least) 3 new signings should be starters, namely a LB, a RB and a RW.

I agree that ideally all marquees and Visa player should start. However, even Adelaide normally have 1 Visa player (often Palanca) on the bench, so 1 exception is fine IMO. 

The above point relates to the fact that a top A-League side should have more than 11 quality players. Such a side should have at least 12 or 13, which means that 1 or 2 players that should start in an A-League team are unable to because competition is so fierce. Look at archie Thompson or Barbarouses (a Visa player) always being benched at victory, because their front 3 (Khalfallah, Berisha and then Barbarouses or Thompson) is so competitive. Or look at the other grand finalist Sydney FC, where Smeltz and Terry Antonis often start on the bench. Or Maclaren at Perth. This commonly creates a bit of friction, because when players who are good enough to start get benched they often get a little annoyed, but top clubs somehow hold it all together, and Melbourne City will hopefully have to deal with this 'problem' of an overabundance of good players next season. 

On my ideal signings for next season, based on the above, I'd like to see Ivan Franjic get signed to fill in at RB. A new talented Visa player at RW would be very good (our own Khalfallah), and the club should then use 1 of the 2 remaining Visa spots on the LB.

Even though I believe the above team has the makings of a strong A-League side, l'd like to see even more changes. Namely a new International marquee in place of Koren (who could perhaps play at RW). Possibly a new Australian marquee striker in place of Kennedy, especially if his fitness doesn't hold up, like Juric or possibly James Troisi. And get rid of Redmayne, Hoffman and Brown (too injured), and sign 3 new better players.

Lots of possibility as thing stand, and potentially even more room for exciting new changes if Melbourne City continues to be ruthless with the playing list.
Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

I know it's not a popular opinion here but I would send Kennedy packing. I don't believe he can improve as his best is behind him.

If you were frustrated with him this season, don't expect to see anything different going forward.

• Like 1

I think Kennedy will still be amongst the goals if he is given the sort of service a classic target man needs. Even if he is primarily used off the bench like Teddy Sheringham when he joined West Ham  (marquee status is not my business).

Why he was signed for the formation JVS employ's though is still beyond me.

• Like 1

I think Kennedy will still be amongst the goals if he is given the sort of service a classic target man needs. Even if he is primarily used off the bench like Teddy Sheringham when he joined West Ham (marquee status is not my business).

Why he was signed for the formation JVS employ's though is still beyond me.

Very true Peter.

I guess that's were villa debacle exposed this issue more than ever.

However, this is a league and our forwards can't just expect a silver service from a league midfielders.

Strikers must work hard, chase the ball than grind the defenders to give themselves an opportunity to score.

Barisha is great at this.

Sorry but Kennedy is just too slow to make a significant difference up front. Great in the air, no doubt but is that enough.

• Like 1

In all seriousness he's fucking shat in the air. Scores one (vs wsw) and misses about 10 (vs nix, tards etc.). Just because he's a giraffe doesn't guarantee goals from his head. Sorry but see ya later I'll take someone else as a number 9.

Murf if Koren is in our best XI we are not a top 4 side.

It could be said that Melbourne City managed to be a top 5 side with Koren in the starting XI, so why couldn't Melbourne City finish higher up with better wingers than Ramsay and Williams for most of the season, and better full-backs than Hoffman for most of the season... 

But yeah I'm really not keen on Koren, and if I ran the club the next change I'd certainly make would be to replace Robert Koren with an actual damn proper marquee, as good as Engelaar or Berisha or Del Piero, or better. A marquee should be a star player in the A-League, not a player lucky to scrape into the starting team.

An A-League club is needlessly handicapping itself if it sticks with mediocre players as marquees, and with CFG as the club owners there's no earthly reason why Melbourne City has to handicap itself in such a way. So hopefully there is change with the marquee/s. We'll see.

The above XI was based only on the squad of players signed up for next season. If Koren is around next season (which would be a mistake IMO), the coaching staff would have to hope Koren gets better with a full pre-season and could step up in his second season, because IMO it would just be too wasteful if Melbourne City had an international marquee that started on the bench.

I think the above XI shows that Melbourne City needs to make another change or two (if not more) to seriously challenge for silverware next season. Ultimately I'm confident that CFG understand that, and I expect a few more players will be shown the door before superior replacements are signed. And my gut feeling is that Koren will more likely than not be shown the door, because I'm sure that CFG understand the marquee situation at Melbourne City, and that they won't repeat the mistakes of Melbourne City's 1st season with regards to marquees.

Edited by Murfy1

I know it's not a popular opinion here but I would send Kennedy packing. I don't believe he can improve as his best is behind him.

If you were frustrated with him this season, don't expect to see anything different going forward.

I think that you are wrong - I think that opinion is widely held. We know some of the reasons why he has failed: injury prone, no pre-season, poor crossing. The personal stuff maybe possible to ameliorate but just as concerning is the service because that could affect any player.

I think Kennedy will still be amongst the goals if he is given the sort of service a classic target man needs. Even if he is primarily used off the bench like Teddy Sheringham when he joined West Ham  (marquee status is not my business).

Why he was signed for the formation JVS employ's though is still beyond me.

Its beyond JVS too, but he did it.

I think that you are wrong - I think that opinion is widely held. We know some of the reasons why he has failed: injury prone, no pre-season, poor crossing. The personal stuff maybe possible to ameliorate but just as concerning is the service because that could affect any player.

Kennedy is finished. 

Some interesting things about next season:

Melbourne City’s end of season report card: Aaron Mooy, John van’t Schip and finals heartbreak

MATT WINDLEY

MAY 19, 2015

THE story of Melbourne City’s season and what is needed to match cross city rivals Melbourne Victory next time around.

FINISHED: 4th

WON 10 DRAWS 8 LOSSES 11

GOALS FOR 38 AGAINST 44

GRADE: C

Astonishingly started the season as title favourites in its first season as a new entity, but only the A-League’s generous finals system enabled them to make the last four. It was an underwhelming season from a club that has so much more potential. Finals win a pass mark, just, but the next 12 months are huge.

THE OFF-SEASON NEEDS:

Leaders, winners, players that can change a culture that has been too accepting of mediocrity for five years. Think Victory striker Besart Berisha. More specifically, a box-to-box midfielder is a must, two quality attackers as well, while the fullback positions also need reinforcing. Ivan Franjic and Daniel Georgievski anyone?

ON SHAKY GROUND:

Jonatan Germano, Harry Novillo, Massimo Murdocca, Jason Hoffman, Andrew Redmayne, David Williams.

GONE:

Damien Duff, Rob Wielaert, Mate Dugandzic, Iain Ramsay, Kew Jaliens, Safuwan Baharudin, Liam Miller.

THE COACH:

There was talk that John van’t Schip would be sacked at season’s end, but it appears he lives to fight another season. Devil’s advocates will point to the team’s crippling injury toll, but there appears to be discontent among the players.

TOP 3

1. Aaron Mooy

2. Tando Velaphi

3. Patrick Kisnorbo

THE BEST:

Aaron Mooy would have won the Johnny Warren Medal had he been playing for a better team. Purely and simply, a class above and was rewarded with the club’s best-and-fairest award. Will surely cop offers from other clubs, but is likely to remain. A shame such a good season ended with a knee injury, albeit minor.

HIGH POINT:

Elimination final v Wellington, 2-0

An unexpected yet pleasant surprise, delivering the club its first finals win. A backs-to-the-wall performance away from home that is hopefully the precursor for things to come.

LOW POINT:

R8 v Wellington, 1-5

The start to the season had been scrappy, and hijacked by the David Villa saga, but this was a new ebb. The heat was well and truly on the coach and players after this result.

INTERNATIONALS:

SOCCEROOS: Aaron Mooy (3 games)

OLYROOS: Stefan Mauk (2 game)

YOUNG SOCCEROOS: Stefan Mauk (3 games)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-citys-end-of-season-report-card-aaron-mooy-john-vant-schip-and-finals-heartbreak/story-fnk6rlg0-1227360600607

Melbourne City end of season Q&A: how was the campaign for you?

MATT WINDLEY & DAVID DAVUTOVIC

MAY 19, 2015

MATT WINDLEY:

Melbourne City’s finals win in Wellington was pleasing, but it’s long enough ago now that we can look at the season dispassionately. So, David, was 2014-15 a success or underwhelming?

DAVID DAVUTOVIC:

Underwhelming if one considers the pre-season hype, but I didn’t buy into it. It was always going to take time to gel, so I’ll give them a pass. But the bar is raised big time next season, top four is a minimum with their resources. You?

MW:

Finals win a solid base to build on. I tipped them to finish fourth so the season was about right for mine. Rome — nor Manchester City post-takeover — wasn’t built in a day, but improvement is a must next season.

DD:

I’m intrigued to see how John van’t Schip goes about it, because I sense the club is in the midst of a big identity crisis. The City Football Group vows an attacking brand of football, but it was far from it, and off the field I saw as much red and white as sky blue and white.

MW:

That’s a big one for me, the off-field stuff. A well-known industry type said to me recently, “City may well win the title next year, but are they happy doing it in front of 5000 fans?” It was a touch facetious, but the point was spot on. This club is arguably Football Federation Australia’s most important right now. Two thriving clubs in Melbourne is a must, but City is light-years behind Victory.

DD:

I can’t disagree. The club has enormous potential but the new owners need to stamp their authority, because after all the hype, I felt like I was going to Melbourne Heart games again, and so did many fans who turned up for the first home game (the only time the top tier of AAMI Park’s stands have been opened for a non-derby City game). The culture needs to change and that starts from the top, hence I believe chief executive Scott Munn has to go.

MW:

I don’t know how to follow on from that.

DD:

Well, what do you think?

MW:

I think the match day experience is corny and does not feel intimidating at all. Obviously the empty seats are an eyesore, so why not cover them up with blue and white tarps? At least on the side the TV cameras face. I don’t like that the club feels more like Bundoora City than Melbourne City in terms of its accessibility for media and fans. AND, I’m sorry, but please get rid of the red and white stripes. City in red and white lost 5-1 in Wellington in November. They felt like Heart. City in white won an elimination final there. They meant business.

DD:

They should be wearing sky blue, and FFA should overturn its farcical decision to block the switch. But I am certain of changes to the playing roster, with van’t Schip looking to offload contracted and uncontracted players. The key for them is getting their visa signings right.

MW:

Will Robbie Koren stay?

DD:

There’s some tension between him and JVS, but I believe he will see out the second year of his contract. The other four visa players will be new, unless Harry Novillo accepts less than what he’s after now.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-end-of-season-qa-how-was-the-campaign-for-you/story-fnk6rlg0-1227360624584

Attn Matt Windley....City also got a 0-0 away to Wellington wearing the red & white you dumbf#ck. They also beat them 5-0 last season as Heart whilst wearing the sash. Suggesting the colour of the kit had something to do with the result is farcical.

Can't believe that guy gets paid to spew his bile.

• Like 6

Great article. Two visionaries  :clap:  :clap:. Worst loss this season was in red and white and finished bottom of the ladder last season in red and white. Get rid of the red and white, get rid of the head staff and start again. Heart was an abject failure. :up: :up:

Edited by Dylan

Scary to note we might keep Koren.

Straight away you have to wonder about top 4 if we do that. We are just plain wasting a visa spot on a 2nd rate back up player (who happens to be overpaid).

Who makes these decisions?

It's like starting the season just gone with no goalie and no left back. Blind Freddie could surely tell it wasn't going to go well....

I thought we were becoming "ruthless"? No where near ruthless enough!

Edited by Shahanga

How about this?

Seeing as no one (presumably) wants to take full responsibility for both recruiting Koren or has the balls to take the hit for paying him out, let's sack Munn & JVS instead.

Then the new gaffer can sack Koren.

Winners make winning decisions.

Edited by Shahanga

This 'they lost in red and white so get rid of it' annoys me, because a) we only wore it away, and we played badly away (correlation not causation) and B) these are professionals, I don't want to hear excuses about how they couldn't play because they weren't wearing the right shirt. Do you kick the ball with a shirt??? No. Step it up.

Edited by Kinnibari

"I can’t disagree. The club has enormous potential but the new owners need to stamp their authority"

Like changing the name? Changing the colours? Signing ex-EPL players? Setting up a new multi-million dollar training base? Changing to Nike?

:hmm:

• Like 2

"I can’t disagree. The club has enormous potential but the new owners need to stamp their authority"

Like changing the name? Changing the colours? Signing ex-EPL players? Setting up a new multi-million dollar training base? Changing to Nike?

:hmm: Can't polish a turd tho

Unfortunately, this is the crap type of media attention we get constantly.

If we lose its just another headline they can add to make us sound like the worst team in the world, but if we win its somehow a fluke.

The transition from being able to get all the leaks and media reporting they wanted from our former owners to the new situation where it is Fort Knox at the best of times must be hurting them. To sit their and cream themselves over MV for that entire discussion just highlights the challenges we have.

Lets hope our media strategy can improve over the next few years, which will also need to be alligned with successful results and attacking, beautiful football to get people talking about us for the right reasons.

• Like 2

Loving the politics.. It goes to show that CFG will tell the media what CFG wants the media to know. That includes leaking at appropriate times and just enough to quench the thirst of the likes of DD. It will be official unless CFG says so. The media can speculate all they want! I for one will not believe anything these two jokers wrote unless it came from the PR machine of CFG! DD, MW, you guys better get used to the way we work, otherwise, find yourself another career!

Loving the politics.. It goes to show that CFG will tell the media what CFG wants the media to know. That includes leaking at appropriate times and just enough to quench the thirst of the likes of DD. It will be official unless CFG says so. The media can speculate all they want! I for one will not believe anything these two jokers wrote unless it came from the PR machine of CFG! DD, MW, you guys better get used to the way we work, otherwise, find yourself another career!

In a media market that has very limited reporting of our code, unfortunately they will still resort to talking up MV and leave us on the outer.

The previous owners kept the media well informed and actually got a fairly balanced response from them in return. It had to do so though as it had no $$ to actually promote the club itself.

There's no reason why we can't use this to our advantage to unify us as supporters.

But we can't do that if our own supporters are posting comments like this

Can't polish a turd tho

There's no reason why we can't use this to our advantage to unify us as supporters.

Can't polish a turd tho

Some supporters are tired of having false hope each off season then seeing it turn to shit

Can't polish a turd tho

Some supporters are tired of having false hope each off season then seeing it turn to shit

Personally I don't mind anyone being critical of the club, and I'm not telling you what to say or do, but comments from our own members saying the club I support is a piece of shit doesn't sit well with me. We are so outnumbered with outsiders already saying all sorts of negative things about our club and probably a lot of them read this forum and take enjoyment in your comment.

• Like 1

Scott Munn has to go....so does Didaluca.

Nothing wrong with the playing strips. Home & Away strips were dandy

We do need Visa Spots and Marquee to be top notch. Personally I would love to see Drogba commit to us.

We had just under 12,000 members. 15,000 should be the aim for 15/16.

Interesting to read that contracted and uncontracted players will be moved on.

JVS should also be replaced with Patrick Vierra.

We do need Visa Spots and Marquee to be top notch. Personally I would love to see Drogba commit to us.

A lot of members went out on a whim because of the hype of Man City taking over the club. A lot to people won't be as 'naive' they time around. First step will be to attain the 11k membership we reached last season, and the only way is through success on the pitch. And reaching 15k will take a lot more than a season of success. Edited by n i k o

A lot of members went out on a whim because of the hype of Man City taking over the club. A lot to people won't be as 'naive' they time around. First step will be to attain the 11k membership we reached last season, and the only way is through success on the pitch. And reaching 15k will take a lot more than a season of success.Because of how disappointing we were in the eyes of new fans especially, the only way we'll reach 11k+ again is if we sign a really big name (for a whole season and not just 4 games!). Which is another reason why Koren should not be kept. The other reason being that he's shit.

A lot of members went out on a whim because of the hype of Man City taking over the club. A lot to people won't be as 'naive' they time around. First step will be to attain the 11k membership we reached last season, and the only way is through success on the pitch. And reaching 15k will take a lot more than a season of success.Because of how disappointing we were in the eyes of new fans especially, the only way we'll reach 11k+ again is if we sign a really big name (for a whole season and not just 4 games!). Which is another reason why Koren should not be kept. The other reason being that he's shit.

Hence the Drogba signing. He alone would bring in 2000 members and 3/4k per game...easily