Melbourne Football

Elimination Final! Wellington Phoenix vs Melbourne City @ Sunday May 3rd, 5pm AEST

Nate

Wellington's pathetic is better than our pathetic. In Nathan Burns they have a player who works hard and scores goals,  unlike our slow, lumbering, one trick pony with a sore back. Come to think of it, he couldn't make the game to Perth, so wonder if he'll make it to New Zealand?

• Like 1

Man, you guys are making me sad.

Crazy things happen in football so you never know! I'm taking work off regardless so that's a plus

FFS People stop with the doom and gloom shit.

I was just as shattered watching that pathetic display on Saturday night as you blokes were (especially for the supporters who travelled), but this is a new week and it's finals time. I'd much prefer to be in the finals and have the hope we may do one over Wellington than be CCM Newcastle WSW or Perth how have nothing to do but ponder a shit season.

Ok our season hasnt been flash, but considering where we were last season at this point, i'm a lot happier now than i was back then.

For me, this is what nees to happen for us to have a chance.

Kennedy needs to start on the bench. Doesnt give us anything what so ever going forward. A flag pole give more tan this bloke. We all understand Willo can be fuckin frustrating, but at least he offers something. Even though we didnt put away our chances against Perth, we looks so much better going forward with a striker who actually makes runs and doesnt stand there like a stiff peice of shite left by the local stray dog.

Might have to push Germano in the RB position or Retre and play Koren in the middle. Would much prefer either Dugandzic or even (dare i say it) Ramsay on the wing as Koren doesnt show enough on the wing and is wasted there imo.

Or the alternative, is we play the 442 diamond. If i remember correctly, last time we played them we used that formation and it worked well. If we do, put Germano at LM.

Maybe go with this....

Retre Kisnobo Chapman Clisby  

Paartalu

Germano                 Koren

Mooy

Williams               Novillo

What you reckon guys

Edited by [LIBBA]
  • Like 2

I don't agree with Mooys position, he needs to be our box to box player. Leave Korean in behind our front two strikers.

Ok so we change it to this:

Paartalu

Germano                 Mooy

Koren

Would you agree though that this 11 and formation is probably our best chance of getting past Wellington?

If Kennedy starts, i'll be already conceding the loss. I think he would be perfect coming on late and trying go with the crosses in the box, but besides that, he is worthless

Retre      Kisnobo       Chapman   

Germano    Paartalu

Koren     Mooy   Novillo

Williams          
                          Kennedy

The lack of strong defenders and the need to actually score, to me, means that having 3 in the back and 2 CDM's is a better option. Stem the run through the middle and drop into the gaps to have 4-5 in the back if needed. Both Paartalu and Germano can lay the ball to the attacking mids.

The lack of depth off the bench is my only concern.

Germano    Paartalu

Koren     Mooy   Novillo

Williams          
                          Kennedy

The lack of strong defenders and the need to actually score, to me, means that having 3 in the back and 2 CDM's is a better option. Stem the run through the middle and drop into the gaps to have 4-5 in the back if needed. Both Paartalu and Germano can lay the ball to the attacking mids.

I like it but only if we fall behind. Ok we need to score goals, but we have to be extremely smart and tight defensively cause Wellington can score and score a couple in quick succession.

I Just think we should play smart and maybe play off the count a little as they seem to struggle when play that type of football as they havent got the room to work the ball forward they way they'd like.

I don't agree with Mooys position, he needs to be our box to box player. Leave Korean in behind our front two strikers.

Ok so we change it to this:

Paartalu

Germano                 Mooy

Koren

Would you agree though that this 11 and formation is probably our best chance of getting past Wellington?

If Kennedy starts, i'll be already conceding the loss. I think he would be perfect coming on late and trying go with the crosses in the box, but besides that, he is worthless

I don't mind it, but imho, I would not start Paartalu at all.

I believe he has had a torrid time and that Wellington attack is one of the quickest going around - he will just end up getting exposed so badly.

So I would have Germano and Mooy(whether he likes it or not) rotate through that dm role that is currently Erik's. 

Then i would also throw in Murdocca into that midfield purely because of his buzz/hustling and final winning experience which is just so valuable.

I like the theory of Willo starting, but so worried about it as his form this year has been better as a sub... hmm thinking about it though, I do believe his starting performances have been better when away from home... 

So something like:

Velaphi

Retre        Chapman (worried about his form atm tho)  Kisnorbo           Clisby

Germano/Mooy

Murdocca                                  Germano/Mooy

Koren

Williams        Novillo

If we can get Jaliens off his auto 1 week suspension, then I would play him instead of Chapman.

• Like 1

Germano    Paartalu

Koren     Mooy   Novillo

Williams          
                          Kennedy

I like it but only if we fall behind. Ok we need to score goals, but we have to be extremely smart and tight defensively cause Wellington can score and score a couple in quick succession.

I Just think we should play smart and maybe play off the count a little as they seem to struggle when play that type of football as they havent got the room to work the ball forward they way they'd like.

If we play defensively then we might as well forfeit the game.

Take the attack to them, put them on the back foot and control the ball. 

If there was ever a time to up the work rate, it's now. We ran them off their feet last time, it'll work again this time.

Is Jack Clisby available? He was "1-2 weeks" last time.

With Kennedy, I reckon you just have to have someone running off him, such as Williams. Otherwise he is useful only for the cross into the 6-yard box.

We're into the knock-out phase of the season. It's a lottery once you go to penalties, so we must score goals to win it. Irrespective of his record Williams has the pace to break the defence open so I reckon he must play.

We were sure of a place in the finals when we played both Perth and Adelaide. We could have experimented then, and I have no idea why Marino wasn't given a good run.

Even if we lose we must go down fighting to the end and then we know we gave it our best shot.

Marino hasn't exactly excelled at the NPL 1 level (although in fairness, neither did Stefan Mauk, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he was coming back from a long lay off), so I'm not sure exposure to A-League football is what he would have needed. 

Nick Symeoy is someone I feel would benefit from more exposure at A-League level. Looked nervous last week but always seemed composed at NYL level and plays well against the big boys at Moreland.

did JVS go back to a 4-3-3 formation against adelaide on the weekend? IMO we played our best we've ever played all season playing 4-4-2 against wellington a couple of weeks ago. He surely has to adopt that again this week, especially given how well it suited the players we have, and also how well it worked against wellington. 

• Like 1

did JVS go back to a 4-3-3 formation against adelaide on the weekend? IMO we played our best we've ever played all season playing 4-4-2 against wellington a couple of weeks ago. He surely has to adopt that again this week, especially given how well it suited the players we have, and also how well it worked against wellington.

I'm almost definite we started with a 442 with a diamond midfield, Koren sitting in behind the front strikers. The same as how we set up against Wellington. But in saying that, the Adelaide game we could have set up with any formation and still been shit. The players were never in the game to begin with.

Marino hasn't exactly excelled at the NPL 1 level (although in fairness, neither did Stefan Mauk, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he was coming back from a long lay off), so I'm not sure exposure to A-League football is what he would have needed. 

Nick Symeoy is someone I feel would benefit from more exposure at A-League level. Looked nervous last week but always seemed composed at NYL level and plays well against the big boys at Moreland.

Fair enough , but didn't he get four goals the other week? My point is, I suppose, that he's on a senior contract (as is Mauk) so if ever there was a game in which to try him, those were the two. If he's not good enough then why is he on a contract? Another JvS special?

Just read the Herald Sun and see Paddy quoted as saying "We have nothing to lose, no one expects us to win".

You have an A League final to lose, you moron.

Another example of mediocrity.

From our captain? Is there something wrong with the air and water at Bundoora? 

What a message to give your long-suffering fans. Someone give him some media training in the off-season please.

Reading way too much into that comment guys.

I honestly dont think the team would be going up there thinking they dont have a chance. I just think he is going with the thought that no one guys us a hope in hell and playing up the underdog tag and putting the pressure back on the home side which is exactly where the pressure should be to be honest.

Thats exactly how i took those comments anyways, but thats just me

• Like 3

I honestly dont think the team would be going up there thinking they dont have a chance. I just think he is going with the thought that no one guys us a hope in hell and playing up the underdog tag and putting the pressure back on the home side which is exactly where the pressure should be to be honest.

That's my point about media training.

"We know that everyone has put the underdog label on us, but we're going down there full of confidence that we can prove them all wrong."

That's my point about media training.

"We know that everyone has put the underdog label on us, but we're going down there full of confidence that we can prove them all wrong."

Maybe should of worded that in exactly the same way you did, but i got where he was going with it lol

Can't wait to see JVS park the bus for the whole game to try and get the game to a penalty shoot out.

My god im sacred at the tought of who we have to take a penalty

You're optimistic to even be thinking about us taking penalties. :)

Mind you we take enough penalties before the game even starts, such as selecting a striker who is unbelievably slow, doesn't run hard and defensively gives us nothing and selecting another highly paid player who is invisible for lengthy periods in most games . :angry:

Edited by Parrot