Melbourne Football

Round 23: Melbourne City v Brisbane Roar, AAMI Park, Sat 28 March 7.30 pm

Murfy1

A-League: Melbourne City captain Patrick Kisnorbo warns players not to start thinking about finals

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

MARCH 21, 2015

MELBOURNE City captain Patrick Kisnorbo has warned his players to look no further than Saturday’s clash with Brisbane Roar, which looms as the decider for last finals spot.

James Brown’s 81st minute goal enabled City to pinch a crucial 1-0 win at Sydney FC, stopping Graham Arnold’s side from going top.

City has created a five-point gap from seventh-place Brisbane, who have three games in hand and host leaders Wellington Phoenix tonight.

Saturday’s City v Roar clash at AAMI Park will go a long way to deciding the last finals spot but tapping into his wealth of experience with Hearts, Leicester and Leeds United, Kisnorbo warned his players not to get caught up in the hype.

“I’m not even thinking that far ahead (to Brisbane), it’s just day by day, there’s no point getting too far ahead of ourselves,’’ Kisnorbo said.

“Finals has never once mentioned, we have to play these final five games. The coach has said don’t think about finals.

“The start of the season there was so much expectation because Man City came on board, but it doesn’t work like that.

“Everyone expected immediate success at Man City when the new owners came, they had all the money, but it took them almost five years to have success.’’

Kisnorbo was immense in central defence, as City held the A-League’s second deadliest attack at bay, though marquee player Marc Janko and Bernie Ibini struck the woodwork.

“The boys were drained physically and mentally so it was pretty quiet, calm and chilled out after the game,’’ he said.

“I just had a chat to James Brown to congratulate him on the goal and all his hard work after returning from injury and it paid off.

“They’ve got a great team, a great strikeforce, it was a big test for us last night and we rose to the occasion.

“Individually and collectively we did our jobs, coming in at half time we knew if we were in it, we were a chance to score.

“We showed a lot of character, especially after what happened last week with Central Coast and the Wanderers (both losses).

“Now we need to concentrate on Brisbane.’’

City will miss midfielder Aaron Mooy, who starred again for City but departed for Socceroos duty yesterday.

Roar will be harder hit, with Matt McKay and Luke DeVere joining Ange Postecoglou’s squad, while James Donachie and Corey Brown are on Olyroos duty.

“Aaron is a loss for the team but it’s someone else’s gain, a chance for someone else to step and in and take the opportunity,’’ Kisnorbo said.

“We know the position we’re in, there will be a lot of hype about next week’s game, but we’ve just got to worry about ourselves and try and get a good result.’’

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league-melbourne-city-captain-patrick-kisnorbo-warns-players-not-to-start-thinking-about-finals/story-fnii0fc4-1227272982170

Well Brisbane lost to WP as expected although the weather cut the match short. BR now play WSW on Wednesday doing two things simultaneously: reduce the games in hand by one, and hopefully tiring the Roar a bit more. If WSW win then the race for sixth spot is back entirely under City's control. If BR win then City still has to rely on BR losing another game somewhere. Ditto if they draw. Although I don't particularly like the thought of getting to sicth spot because the Roar are too exhausted I will take it.

Very handy result today with Brisbane losing to Wellington. It means that no matter the result of Brisbane's mid-week match v WSW, that Melbourne City will be above Brisbane (by at least 2 points) by this City v Brisbane match.

Brisbane will be without captain McKay, as well as DeVere, Donanchie and Brown for the Wednesday match v WSW, and those players will be gone for the Saturday match at AAMI Park as well. So not only will Brisbane be rather depleted, but they'll be tired as well with there only being a 72 hour turnaround between the WSW match and our match on Saturday.

Losing Mooy is a blow, so Koren will likely go into midfield. Agree it will be interesting to see if he steps up. But all up City are significantly less effected by international call-ups than Brisbane.

Really big game, and it will be arguably the biggest game Melbourne City have played since the takeover. Should be an absolute cracker, and it's brilliant that the match will be in Melbourne at AAMI Park. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

Some stats:

- Melbourne City have beaten Brisbane Roar twice in their 2 meetings this season

- Melbourne City have won 5 and drawn 2 of their past 7 home games at AAMI

- Melbourne City have won the past 4 games against Brisbane Roar at AAMI Park (despite how lousy Melbourne City have been in recent seasons)

- Brisbane Roar have only beaten Melbourne City/Heart once at AAMI Park, and that was back in November 2010 (during the Postecoglou reign). Back then Paartalu and Murdocca were starters for Brisbane Roar

Especially if Kennedy, Novillo and Williams rejoin the team for this game, as the latest media reports suggest, then the odds line up pretty strongly in Melbourne City's favour.

• Like 1

Some stats:

- Melbourne City have beaten Brisbane Roar twice in their 2 meetings this season

- Melbourne City have won the past 4 games against Brisbane Roar at AAMI Park (despite how lousy Melbourne City have been in recent seasons)

- Brisbane Roar have only beaten Melbourne City/Heart once at AAMI Park, and that was back in November 2010 (during the Postecoglou reign). Back then Paartalu and Murdocca were starters for Brisbane Roar

Especially if Kennedy, Novillo and Williams rejoin the team for this game, as the latest media reports suggest, then the odds line up pretty strongly in Melbourne City's favour.

Which is exactly why we will lose.

• Like 1

Some stats:

Which is exactly why we will lose. With this club, whenever we feel positive we are let down.

Comes down to always being apprehensive. This is the most important game I can remember since our first final. We win this we are pretty much in the drivers seat for a finals position. Would also mean three wins in a row and provide confidence.

Getting Novillo, Melling, Kennedy, Safuwan and Williams back in the fold and at the most important time of the year we could have pretty much our best squad going.

This is what happens. When everything seems positive something will happen and turn to shit.

Let's see how we go. Expecting a crowd of 9k.

Edited by Melburnian

I understand the apprehension, but I reckon this'll end up being a straightforward match, like the previous home game against Newcastle, where after the game everyone says 'Well of course City won. What else could be expected, given the opponent's situation?'

It's a potential banana-peel, as pretty much every match is. But I'm sticking my neck out predicting a good result because there's too much against Brisbane, and too many positive's for City, altogether with City having a very good record against Brisbane at AAMI.

There'd have to be multiple bits of news prior to Saturday for me to reconsider my opinion. 

Another thing is I'm just hoping the supporters do their bit and turnout for Saturday's match. The team's been winning lately, this match is an absolute blockbuster, and it's on at the very good time at 7:30pm Saturday. Expecting a crowd of several thousand, but would really like to see a crowd of 10k plus turnout for this big must win match.

Some stats:

Another stat:

- Koren is a pleb

Some stats:

Another stat:

- Koren is a pleb

Can you put that in a graph or pie chart?

• Like 5

Brisbane have:

Home to WSW;

Away to City;

Home to Central Coast;

Away to Adelaide;

Home to Victory (twice in a week);

Home to Newcastle.

My guess is they could pick up 9-12 points, even if they lose to us.

It is going to be very tight between us.

Well Brisbane lost to WP as expected

Not sure if you mean expected by yourself personally, or expected in general, but WP were at pretty high odds for that game with Brisbane the clear favourite, so I would say the general expectation was for a Brisbane win actually. And they certainly could have picked up a draw if the game went the full 90.

I understand the apprehension, but I reckon this'll end up being a straightforward match, like the previous home game against Newcastle, where after the game everyone says 'Well of course City won. What else could be expected, given the opponent's situation?'

I disagree, Newcastle were a disaster before facing us, Brisbane have been doing well recently, better than us. However, we have a lot of things going for us, which probably puts us slightly ahead of Brisbane. Home advantage, them playing a mid week game, and them being at a greater loss with NT call ups.

Very tricky game IMO, and very hard to call, but I think we have this one.

Few players and staff probably looking for new contracts as well, which should help :up:

Some stats:

Another stat:

- Koren is a pleb Can you put that in a graph or pie chart?

i can't breathe

Not sure if you mean expected by yourself personally, or expected in general, but WP were at pretty high odds for that game with Brisbane the clear favourite, so I would say the general expectation was for a Brisbane win actually. And they certainly could have picked up a draw if the game went the full 90.

I disagree, Newcastle were a disaster before facing us, Brisbane have been doing well recently, better than us. However, we have a lot of things going for us, which probably puts us slightly ahead of Brisbane. Home advantage, them playing a mid week game, and them being at a greater loss with NT call ups.

Few players and staff probably looking for new contracts as well, which should help :up:

Disagree with this. IMO Brisbane's mid-season revival overall has been over-hyped, and I tipping it to fade significantly from here til the end of the season.

As for Brisbane Roar compared with Melbourne City, look at the form lines:

Melbourne City: 1-0 v Sydney (W), 4-0 v Newcastle (W), 2-3 v WSW (L), 0-1 CCM (L), 3-1 v Adelaide (W)

Brisbane Roar: 1-2 v Wellington (L), 4-5 v Sydney (L), 1-0 v WSW (W), 2-2 v Perth (D), 2-0 v CCM (W)

So I'd say Melbourne City can at least match Brisbane for form.

Some more food for thought ahead of Satuday: Henique is all but certain to be out due to a serious injury, whilst Broich (who didn't even make the bench today) is under an injury cloud and is very touch and go to play on Saturday (these reports come from Brisbane's coach today).

Disagree with this. IMO Brisbane's mid-season revival overall has been over-hyped, and I tipping it to fade significantly from here til the end of the season.

As for Brisbane Roar compared with Melbourne City, look at the form lines:

Melbourne City: 1-0 v Sydney (W), 4-0 v Newcastle (W), 2-3 v WSW (L), 0-1 CCM (L), 3-1 v Adelaide (W)

Brisbane Roar: 1-2 v Wellington (L), 4-5 v Sydney (L), 1-0 v WSW (W), 2-2 v Perth (D), 2-0 v CCM (W)

So I'd say Melbourne City can at least match Brisbane for form.

Some more food for thought ahead of Satuday: Henique is all but certain to be out due to a serious injury, whilst Broich (who didn't even make the bench today) is under an injury cloud and is very touch and go to play on Saturday (these reports come from Brisbane's coach today).

I think that run of fixtures is tougher for Brisbane than ours was. If you go back a couple more games, it's a fairer comparison as it brings Perth and Phoenix into calculations for us and Newcastle for them. Record then stands at 4-1-2 for Brisbane and 3-2-2 for us. Still not a lot in it, but they've only lost to Sydney and Wellington which are arguably the two best teams in the competition right now.

It's interesting though looking at these recent games for both teams, fairly similar overall record but Brisbane's are far more predictable results, they lose to the two best teams they play, beat the 3 weakest teams, and get a draw against Perth. The only surprising result is they beat Wellington but that was when Wellington went out of form for a few games. Meanwhile we seem to beat the better teams and lose to the worse ones, which isn't a particularly new thing if memory serves me right. So that probably isn't a good thing for us, this being a game of 2 below average teams.

Still think we are the more likely winner here, if not for anything but the outs Brisbane have.

In regards to finals, we need to win this to have any chance. If we lose, or even draw, we're done. Wouldn't surprise me if we only get 1 more point after this, while Brisbane can easily get 9-10 points.

Edited by Tesla

Well JVS has to get his team selection right for this one.

We need to go with guys who can get around the park and have pace to hurt Brisbane. Which means for me no Paartalu or Kennedy.

Would have a midfield three of Murdocca, Germano and Koren, with Williams, Novillo and Ramsay ahead of them. 

My selection would be:

Velaphi

Retre

Jaliens

Kisnorbo

Clisby

Murdocca

Germano

Koren

Williams

Novillo

Ramsay

Subs:

Redmayne

Symeoy

Paartalu

Kennedy

Dugandzic

• Like 1

A-League: Melbourne City hopes to whitewash Brisbane Roar in ‘mini final’ at AAMI Park

MATT WINDLEY

MARCH 23, 2015

MELBOURNE City is undefeated in seven games at home, winning five.

It has also won both games against Brisbane Roar this year, once each at home and away.

True, City will be without arguably its best player this year, Aaron Mooy, on Saturday night.

But its Brisbane opponents are harder hit by international withdrawals considering regular starters Matt McKay, Luke DeVere, Corey Brown and James Donachie will all be absent from the AAMI Park showdown.

Everything is stacked in City’s favour for what winger Mate Dugandzic describes as “a mini-final”, particularly given the Roar had to play last night and again on Wednesday — against Western Sydney — while City will have had an eight-day break following its vital win over Sydney FC.

But Dugandzic said City has to be thoroughly professional as it chases what could be the most vital of three points in the two-horse race for sixth spot.

“Everything has fallen in our favour, the ball is in our court, so it just depends now on how we approach the game,” he said.

“We can’t be heading in to the game overconfident because Brisbane still has got a quality side and quite a bit of depth as well as we’ve seen in the (Asian) Champions League.

“But with potentially Josh (Kennedy) and Harry (Novillo) coming back in, it’s going to be a massive game for us and one that we’ve got to head out with the intention of getting a great result in.”

City defeated Brisbane 3-1 at Suncorp Stadium in Round 5 and then 1-0 at AAMI Park in Round 9.

Dugandzic said the team would take great confidence out of those two results, as well as the 1-0 win at AAMI Park in Round 20 last year.

“We tend to play quite well against them here at AAMI Park, so that’s a great thing to have, having beaten them twice already this year,” he said.

“It’s our little mini-final now. If we can win this, even though they’ve got their games in hand, it will create a bit of a buffer.

“Home ground advantage is a massive thing. The last few results have come our way and we’ve been playing some fantastic football at home.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league-melbourne-city-hopes-to-whitewash-brisbane-roar-in-mini-final-at-aami-park/story-fnk6pqhd-1227273768102

Some stats:

Another stat:

- Koren is a plebCan you put that in a graph or pie chart?

Robbie Korens not impressed with your graph and has a message for you....

HCyxGRM.jpg

• Like 4

Some stats:

Another stat:

- Koren is a pleb Can you put that in a graph or pie chart?

Robbie Korens not impressed with your graph and has a message for you....

HCyxGRM.jpg

looks like a poofta

Everything's in our favour for this one -its at home, they will have played mid-week, they are trying to catch us in points, they have more key players out injured and on international duty. The only thing that worries me is how important Mooy is for us. With all this and potential finals on the line, if we lose we simply don't deserve to play finals.