Melbourne Football

Round 22: Sydney v. City, Friday 20 March 7.40 pm

jw1739

While paartalu didn't have the best game, if anyone saw SBS analysis you would realise why he had such a difficult time especially in that first half. Between our forward mids and defense we had paartalu, where sydney constantly had two players between those lines. It made his job much more difficult and is why he appeared to be nowhere last night.

While paartalu didn't have the best game, if anyone saw SBS analysis you would realise why he had such a difficult time especially in that first half. Between our forward mids and defense we had paartalu, where sydney constantly had two players between those lines. It made his job much more difficult and is why he appeared to be nowhere last night.

It isn't just last night though Niko.

Prior to his injury I thought he had a couple of good games. However, since he came back he has struggled in every game he has played. 

I just feel he could do with coming off the bench and maybe with fresh legs against tiring legs he will have more of an impact.

• Like 1

An amazing result considering the team we put out on the park. We played pretty poorly but the result alone will give players confidence playing away. Kisnorbo was fantastic and is well worth keeping around. Always good to have that sort of experience in defense in this league. 

This is the week Brisbane show their hand too. After we play them next Saturday I think we'll know if we're making playoffs or not. 

A boring match, but 3 points away from home is priceless. At half time I thought that we were a chance for a point

Paddy did a great job some errors but on the whole tidying up everything that came his way

Brown was awful, but took his chance, Mate like wise without a goal, and as others have said, Paartalu was invisible

Claiming credit for the win.

I honestly think me no being able to see a second of this match secured the three points more than anything any of the players did on the pitch :up:

EDIT: A watching of the highlights only supports my opinion as well.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

I don't agree about Kisnorbo being man of the match or playing his best game for the club..

Kisnorbo last night did what he should do both as a central defender and captain which is his job. He was solid (more so in the 2nd half) and he made very little mistakes.. But don't be fooled... because this is how he should be playing week in week out.

Last nights result was nothing more than a snatch a grab... it still didn't stop me from screaming Goooooooooalllllll!! when Brown finished.

Next up Brisbane ...

• Like 2

I don't agree about Kisnorbo being man of the match or playing his best game for the club..

Kisnorbo last night did what he should do both as a central defender and captain which is his job. He was solid (more so in the 2nd half) and he made very little mistakes.. But don't be fooled... because this is how he should be playing week in week out.

Last nights result was nothing more than a snatch a grab... it still didn't stop me from screaming Goooooooooalllllll!! when Brown finished.

Next up Brisbane ...

I often think this about many of our players. They get praise for doing what should be expected of them. Kisnorbo did what any half decent defender should do on a regular basis. Add to that the fact he is our captain

• Like 1

Next up Brisbane ...

I often think this about many of our players. They get praise for doing what should be expected of them. Kisnorbo did what any half decent defender should do on a regular basis. Add to that the fact he is our captain

Nothing wrong with a snatch a grab... 

United won more than a few titles in their glory years due to their ability to perform Snatch and Grabs when their challengers would leave similar games with one point.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Next up Brisbane ...

How many times have we been victims of one of these?  Nice to have the shoe on the other foot for a change.

With the players we had available we were never going to play Sydney off the park.

Next up Brisbane ...

How many times have we been victims of one of these?  Nice to have the shoe on the other foot for a change.

With the players we had available we were never going to play Sydney off the park.

Thats a major problem with the club... squad depth isn't good enough for finals in regards to our bench when most of our players are fit let alone when we have injuries.

Next up Brisbane ...

Thats a major problem with the club... squad depth isn't good enough for finals in regards to our bench when most of our players are fit let alone when we have injuries.

No A-League club has good depth.  There's not enough money in the cap for it.

The key is recruiting a best 11 that can stay on the park, for most of the season.  We've been terrible at that.

• Like 1

Next up Brisbane ...

The key is recruiting a best 11 that can stay on the park, for most of the season.  We've been terrible at that.

I'd agree with that. To me, a starting 11 of Velaphi, Baharudin, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Jaliens, Paartalu, Melling, Mooy, Koren, Kennedy and Novillo, a bench of Germano, Williams, Redmayne, Clisby and Hoffman and depth in Murdocca, Brown Dugandzic, Ramsay, Garuccio, Mauk and Retre looks more than competitive, even if we have injuries/unavailabilities to two or three of our first team members.

The problem is, seven of those nominal sixteen first teamers were unavailable last night.

• Like 1

I understand why the majority of people on here think we will lose but I think the predictions are too pessimistic.

Confidence is something that we generally lack but I imagine that the squad will be mentally prepared for this clash.

Things aren't so bad. I think we will take something out of this.

I knew my optimism wasn't misplaced. Well done lads. We were outplayed and fortunate not to concede. Nevetheless, we didn't throw in the towel, which is what matters most. The goal was class. The tackle from Koren, the ball from Mooy and the finish from Brown. It was well-executed.

We can take a lot from this. The match against Brisbane is the most important match of our campaign. I am quietly confident though. Confidence will be high in the squad.

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 1

Regarding depth and last nights availability

Defence:

R. Wieleart (injured for the remainder of the season) -> replaced by Kew Jaliens who is playing

Safuwan - on international duties from which he will return hopefully without injury

Midfield

Melling - injured 1-2 weeks should be available for finals although fitness may be questionable

Mauk - last I heard he was injured with no set date for returning.

Garrucio - injured, may be available for finals although fitness may be questionable

Forwards

Duff - injured out for season -> replaced by Novillo who was out with tonsilitis should be available next week.

Marino - returning from injury, needs fitness

Kennedy - injured 1-2 weeks, should be available for finals

Williams - injured but not much is known about his injury.

Aside from Wieleart and Duff who won't play again this season and have been replaced by players that are automatic selection in Jaliens and Novillo, the rest of the team should be available for selection in the final rounds and finals. Indeed of the remaining players only Melling and Williams were established regulars. None of the following had cemented a spot on the senior starting XI: Mauk, Garrucio, Marino or Kennedy; and of these I would expect Marino and Kennedy to be available for the end of season.

So although last night we were thin up forward, in reality the rest of the team is pretty settled. The real problem is that we need more from Koren, Dugandzic and Paartalau.

I don't think you'll see either Mauk or Garuccio for the rest of this season.

IMO people are beginning to get a trifle harsh on Koren. I agree that he hasn't lived up to the marquee tag, but I think he is coming into matches more and more and he's certainly been involved in several of the moves that have brought goals.

IMO people are beginning to get a trifle harsh on Koren. I agree that he hasn't lived up to the marquee tag, but I think he is coming into matches more and more and he's certainly been involved in several of the moves that have brought goals.

Mauk and Garruccio's situation has a whiff of the Jermey Walker's about them.

The thing about Koren is that I still don't think he and Mooy can play togther,  There were a few times last night that the two were basically getting in each other's way.

Next up Brisbane ...

You are right they dont have good depth... but the clubs with okay Full Backs/Subs have a major advantage of those like us with usually Full Backs/Sub that are not up to league standard.

Edited by cadete

still struggling to believe that we actually won last night - normally we lose by 2 or 3 goals in that sort of game.

lads did well defensively given circumstances around injuries / unavailable, and Sydney were always going to find a few chances so credit where credits due.

fucking Chris Beath with his bullshit approach.  if you are going to call fouls by our players "professional" fouls and give the player a yellow, then you do it to ALL PLAYERS, ALL GAME.  still dont get how Janko stayed on for launch into the midrift (think it was Jaliens).  again, Breath seemed only to happy to go into his pocket for our players.

stole a win, but was stoked we stayed in it so well

Mauk and Garruccio's situation has a whiff of the Jermey Walker's about them.

The thing about Koren is that I still don't think he and Mooy can play togther,  There were a few times last night that the two were basically getting in each other's way.

Mauk has been in the squad for two matches only this season - for a total of 45 minutes - and the last time was 20th December in the Christmas Derby. Believed to have a quad injury?

Garuccio 7 matches 548 minutes. Injured in the match against WSW on 1st February - ankle. IIRC has had ankle injuries before.

I understand why the majority of people on here think we will lose but I think the predictions are too pessimistic.

Confidence is something that we generally lack but I imagine that the squad will be mentally prepared for this clash.

Things aren't so bad. I think we will take something out of this.

I knew my optimism wasn't misplaced. Well done lads. We were outplayed and fortunate not to concede. Nevetheless, we didn't throw in the towel, which is what matters most. The goal was class. The tackle from Koren, the ball from Mooy and the finish from Brown. It was well-executed.

We can take a lot from this. The match against Brisbane is the most important match of our campaign. I am quietly confident though. Confidence will be high in the squad. Yeah, was great to see us dig in and hold on, something that we've unfortunately not often seen.

Zidane used to be a bit of a peripheral figure in many games, he'd wonder around, seemingly uninterested and then in a moment of brilliance he'd change the game. Whilst Koren is no Zidane, he is regularly involved in our game changing moments

Zidane used to be a bit of a peripheral figure in many games, he'd wonder around, seemingly uninterested and then in a moment of brilliance he'd change the game. Whilst Koren is no Zidane, he is regularly involved in our game changing moments

This begs the question whether the team, at this stage of the redevelopment, can afford someone like this.

Its more about our system and his role in the system, what he offers and how players cover for his deficiencies.

No.

Truth is he hasn't been doing anywhere near enough. Ok he is starting to justify a starting spot but a marquee should be dominating and he is still well short of that.

• Like 1

Its more about our system and his role in the system, what he offers and how players cover for his deficiencies.

No.

Truth is he hasn't been doing anywhere near enough. Ok he is starting to justify a starting spot but a marquee should be dominating and he is still well short of that. Spot on old mate Shahanga.

Knowledge being dropped like it's hot over here.

No.

Truth is he hasn't been doing anywhere near enough. Ok he is starting to justify a starting spot but a marquee should be dominating and he is still well short of that.

Agree

No.

I don't think that he's that sort of player, certainly not with the team style we are playing and of course not when he's being played on the wing