Melbourne Football

Round 22: Sydney v. City, Friday 20 March 7.40 pm

jw1739

Not often you can hold your head up high after a City away match but by God you can tonight! The sort of result that we've wanted for five seasons. Great stuff.

Incidentally James Brown becomes our 17th goalscorer for the season - must be some sort of A-League record there.

He is 18th, equals all time Australian record with Auckland Kingz or something

You are correct! I can't even read my own table of goalscorers!

Not often you can hold your head up high after a City away match but by God you can tonight! The sort of result that we've wanted for five seasons. Great stuff.

Incidentally James Brown becomes our 17th goalscorer for the season - must be some sort of A-League record there.

He is 18th, equals all time Australian record with Auckland Kingz or something

You are correct! I can't even read my own table of goalscorers!

Let's win this - Velaphi to take the next penalty

Kisnorbo didn't get a vote in the Les Murray medal. fuckin ridiculous

Who did? He got 3 on Fox Janko was MotM on SBS. What a joke.

That was for the "Car Advice" fans' chosen Man of the Match.

SBS (Les Murray) medal points were, 3. Mooy, 2. Jaliens, 1. Gersbach...not sure how Gersbach got it before Kisnorbo though! SBS  :droy:

Edited by Red or Dead

Wonderfully unexpected result, very pleased to be wrong.

Positives:

Nice quiet visit to the supermarket in the first half and returned to find that we hadn't conceded

A win without us playing particularly well, the luck was with us tonight when its usually against us.

We generally kept our shape but at the expense of sitting a bit deep

We kept our concentration for 94 minutes.

Koren offers little for much of the game but consistently has one important game changing pass.

Tando - please don't get injured or any more red cards!

Seeing some passion from JVS and the look on Arnold's face at the end of the game.

Negatives:

Struggled to keep the ball, often won the ball but gave it away with the next pass.

Offered little going forward apart from Brown's goal. Mate was terrible.

Jaliens better at RB than CB but we'll need him there next game too

Who did? He got 3 on Fox

Who did? He got 3 on FoxJanko was MotM on SBS. What a joke. That was for the "Car Advice" fans' chosen Man of the Match.

SBS (Les Murray) medal points were, 3. Mooy, 2. Jaliens, 1. Gersbach...not sure how Gersbach got it before Kisnorbo though! SBS :droy:Oh, right.

SBS (Les Murray) medal points were, 3. Mooy, 2. Jaliens, 1. Gersbach...not sure how Gersbach got it before Kisnorbo though! SBS  :droy:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who rated Jaliens contribution.   

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who rated Jaliens contribution.   

Jaliens was good but just doesn't have the pace to play beside Kisnorbo

I think that Bela has it right that for once we had luck going for City. It was an ugly match to watch but definitely take the three points and Brown actually had a good passage of play. Some further thoughts:

Retre is not a RB and did not rate his game. Simeoy who replaced him for the last 20 minutes did better.

Well watched the whole game and while it wasn't the best I have seen, I thought we played more as a team and kept going until the end. Too often this season we have failed to do this.

The best player for me was Paddy closely followed by Jaliens and Mooy. I also thought Koren was better and some of his touches showed his class. Now he needs to begin to impose his game on the opposition and if he does it could make the difference to us.

For me Germano played very well and got forward well and could have had a goal or two. 

The biggest disappointment for me was Paartalu. When we signed him many on here were very happy and I can only assume that was because he was a very good player before he went to China. So I was expecting a player who would show good awareness, win tackles and drive the team forward. Unfortunately, apart from a couple of games I have seen a player unable to stop the opposition from getting to our back four and has seriously lacked the mobility to get around the pitch. He has scored a few goals, but at the moment he is more of a liability than an asset. I really believe it would be best for him and us if he is benched until he can improve his overall fitness and mobility.

Finally, we created a few chances to score and that was with little impact by Duga or Brown. I know Brown scored the goal, but he struggled to get into the game for long periods. Maybe it could be worth to play him in the centre forward position to see if he improves as he does have height and pace.

Overall, we had a few nervous moments, but dug in and got a great result. So now let's take it to Brisbane next week!!

Edited by silva10

I don't know about the football, but the red and white stripes are mint.

It looks very strange from the back. I can't for the life of me understand why they choose to go with white shorts at home and away, when presumably you're obliged to have a change colour for your shorts (WSW wears white at home, for example) and red shorts would quite clearly go better with the red shirt.

I don't know about the football, but the red and white stripes are mint.

It looks very strange from the back. I can't for the life of me understand why they choose to go with white shorts at home and away, when presumably you're obliged to have a change colour for your shorts (WSW wears white at home, for example) and red shorts would quite clearly go better with the red shirt.

Pretty sure the new NPL away kit has red shorts, possibly a sign of change for next season.