Melbourne Football

That F word.

Jovan

I can totally see how City might make it to the grand final. Find a way to win the first game and then against Victory (most likely) in the second game, anything's possible. 

So really that first final is an incredible chance for JVS. 

we have to get a result his week against Adelaide 

then it's Adelaide, 

or if we lose, it could be Wellington away

are we going to win 3 on the trot away from home after next week

Head says no, HEART says yes 

• Like 1

I've never been confident in Derbies at all and i've never been cocky or certain of beating the em, but I'm telling you blokes right now. If we pull a win in the first week of finals and play Victory in the second week....

Grand Final locked in.

I can just see us going up a level against them with the confidence of the first win in the finals and the fact that we would go into that game knowing the pressure would be squarEly on the Tards.

Fuck i have never wanted to win a game more than next week.

IM FUCKIN FIRED UP!!!

Of course nothing ever goes to script... Probably get Wellington first game and if we somehow win that Sydney in the second final. 

As soon as you think things are going to go one way in this crazy sport, they go the other. And no more so than being a Heart/City supporter. 

Cant agree more.

But if the senario i posted a minute ago comes up, GF bound my friend.

Of course nothing ever goes to script... Probably get Wellington first game and if we somehow win that Sydney in the second final. 

As soon as you think things are going to go one way in this crazy sport, they go the other. And no more so than being a Heart/City supporter. 

Cant agree more.

Yeah, basically guaranteed to beat the team that put 8 past us in two games!

• Like 1

Cant agree more.

Yeah, basically guaranteed to beat the team that put 8 past us in two games!

It would be safe to say we have tightened up our defensive side of our game sinec those 2 derbies. Besides last week, we had only conceded 1 goal in 5 games.

To top it off, we had Tando and Paartalu missing from the last derby and didnt have Germano either. Safewan was playing his second game from what i remember in the middle of the park.

Cant compare the 2 Derbies we lost to the side that is on the park atm.

I love the optimism but aren't the majority of us in agreeance that we have a thin & seriously unbalanced squad with an average coach? The ladder position is reflective of our efforts this season, we aren't in the same ballpark as the top 3 sides and Adelaide are still comfortably better than us. Come finals time I have zero confidence we'll be able to go up a notch for the occasion, a win in may would be close to a miracle.

I had to laugh when Paartalu said something about other teams not wanting to play us in a final...

I love the optimism but aren't the majority of us in agreeance that we have a thin & seriously unbalanced squad with an average coach? The ladder position is reflective of our efforts this season, we aren't in the same ballpark as the top 3 sides and Adelaide are still comfortably better than us. Come finals time I have zero confidence we'll be able to go up a notch for the occasion, a win in may would be close to a miracle.

I had to laugh when Paartalu said something about other teams not wanting to play us in a final...

Well in a way, he's kind of spot on.

You just dont know what Melb City will come on the park. We have seen some great football this season and at the same time, also seen vomit material of the highest order.

yes cos imagine the shame of losing to us ! :lol:  :lol:

I've never been confident in Derbies at all and i've never been cocky or certain of beating the em, but I'm telling you blokes right now. If we pull a win in the first week of finals and play Victory in the second week....

Grand Final locked in.

I can just see us going up a level against them with the confidence of the first win in the finals and the fact that we would go into that game knowing the pressure would be squarEly on the Tards.

IM FUCKIN FIRED UP!!!

This sort of optimism is what soccer is all about. Rational thinking and logic is overrated, only to be used discussing why we lost. Until we lose I'm with you LIBBA, were going all the way!

Your heartfelt emotions are what drag you back each week and get you through all the failures.

I enjoy whistling through the day in a deluded sense with the hope that we are only a few games away from being champions. 

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong. I'm not optimistic. I just think that a possible Derby in the second round is a fantastic chance for JVS and the team. Our team's biggest weakness is mental strength which often doesn't seem to be a factor in derbies. 

Fact is we will probably exit first final. 

High probability, but i guess i cant help get excited about finals since i've never been to one lol

Don't get me wrong. I'm not optimistic. I just think that a possible Derby in the second round is a fantastic chance for JVS and the team. Our team's biggest weakness is mental strength which often doesn't seem to be a factor in derbies. 

High probability, but i guess i cant help get excited about finals since i've never been to one lol

Just a heads up; enjoy it while you can as it will be a short lived finals 

Grand Final locked in.

IM FUCKIN FIRED UP!!!

This sort of optimism is what soccer is all about. Rational thinking and logic is overrated, only to be used discussing why we lost. Until we lose I'm with you LIBBA, were going all the way!

Your heartfelt emotions are what drag you back each week and get you through all the failures.

I enjoy whistling through the day in a deluded sense with the hope that we are only a few games away from being champions. 

Ill only consider myslef delusional when we get knocked out of finals.

Hopefully for our sake, i dont get proven to be :tooth:

If the one final we have been in that I was at is anything to go by it's not much to get excited about. Some strange part of me sees us doing Adelaide this weekend and the next, we would get absolutely fucked on by Victory in a semi though.

Whats the point of wanting to make finals if you dont have the hope of going all the way.

Might as well just scrap it then

If the one final we have been in that I was at is anything to go by it's not much to get excited about. Some strange part of me sees us doing Adelaide this weekend and the next, we would get absolutely fucked on by Victory in a semi though.

Can't see us beating Adelaide twice in a row. 

Can't see us beating Adelaide twice in a row. 

Probably not.

We'll just draw this week and beat them when it matter :D

I know it sounds a weird call but I've always seen tiki taka style teams that aren't Barcelona crumbling in high intensity games where the results are important. Games usually unfold as such that they get hit on the counter early then passing goes astray / panicked players deviate from the game plan when the nerves start kicking in. Style over substance if you will. FWIW I don't think Gombau will ever win this league due to the inconsistency you will get with this level of players playing his style of football.

Obviously Adelaide will be favourites but I wouldnt at all be surprised if we beat them in the final should we draw them.

I know it sounds a weird call but I've always seen tiki taka style teams that aren't Barcelona crumbling in high intensity games where the results are important. Games usually unfold as such that they get hit on the counter early then passing goes astray / panicked players deviate from the game plan when the nerves start kicking in. Style over substance if you will. FWIW I don't think Gombau will ever win this league due to the inconsistency you will get with this level of players playing his style of football.

Obviously Adelaide will be favourites but I wouldnt at all be surprised if we beat them in the final should we draw them.

Not sure on that - their problem is the lack of depth since no Carrusca then they become average AND the lack of a striker. Djite is not a big scorer so they lack fire power up forward. Judicious recruiting could solve these problems.

Whats the point of wanting to make finals if you dont have the hope of going all the way.

Oh man. Don't talk to me about hope and MHFC/MCFC. I've had hope for 5 years.

• Like 1

Just a heads up; enjoy it while you can as it will be a short lived finals Whats the point of wanting to make finals if you dont have the hope of going all the way.

Oh man. Don't talk to me about hope and MHFC/MCFC. I've had hope for 5 years.

So have i mate trust me, but at the end of the day, we've hoped and not even been in the position we're in now.

Why not hope a little more. Remember that this season hasnt been a total disaster. We've gone from wooden spooners to a finals birth and we've done that with a lot of deadwood still at the club.

This season is just a stepping stone to where we and CFG want us to be. Next season that deadwood will be gone and we'll hopefully sign quality instead.

• Like 2

So do we celebrate our highest league finish ever once Perth is relegated to 7th place or can we start the celebrations now?

I think it deserves a quiet nod.

5th out of 10 isn't anything to write home about but it is a step in the right direction. IMO no enough.

4th would have been a pass for me.

Higher then that was as real as a unicorn.

Six...... is simply so average that I feel like we have gained nothing this year.

Thank you JVS, now hand over the job to someone who wants us to progress into top 3 (at least) next year.

Won't happen while you're holding the joystick.

Just as a (silly) comparison:

If memory serves me correctly Man City finished mid-table first season after / during the Sheikh takeover.

Then 5th, then 3rd, then won the league.

I think we all knew deep down we weren't gonna win the league but it is baby steps in the right direction, from wooden spooners to finalists... 

Next season should see us top 4 IMO.

With that said we're ganna win the league!

• Like 4

The objective should always be to win the Premiers Plate. Always.

2nd-4th is acceptable, especially if it's a close-run season like this one.

For a club with the resources that Melbourne City now has, and for a club in a two-club city, 5th and below is not acceptable. Never.

A look at the league table as it is clearly shows us as "the best of the also-rans." That's all. We finish 6th based on on-field performance, and are elevated to 5th on a technicality.

Except for Round 1 and following Perth's demotion after Round 27, we have occupied 6th or 7th on the ladder for the whole season, showing we were never in the hunt for the Plate.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

The objective should always be to win the Premiers Plate. Always.

2nd-4th is acceptable, especially if it's a close-run season like this one.

For a club with the resources that Melbourne City now has, and for a club in a two-club city, 5th and below is not acceptable. Never.

A look at the league table as it is clearly shows us as "the best of the also-rans." That's all. We finish 6th based on on-field performance, and are elevated to 5th on a technicality.

Except for Round 1 and following Perth's demotion after Round 27, we have occupied 6th or 7th on the ladder for the whole season, showing we were never in the hunt for the Plate.

Don't disagree with that, but the first thing about fixing a problem is admitting you have one.  We have been rubbish and need to move up from that to be competitive.  

I am claiming 5th though.  Reasoning is Perth have beaten us on the table because they cheated and signed better players than they should have been able to.  If they hadn't they wouldn't have Keogh's goals and would have missed out on quite a few wins.

• Like 1