Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Just now, jw1739 said:

I'm looking at clause 4.6 of the HAL and NYL Player Regulations of the latest CBA that I can find. I'm happy to be corrected, but that's what the clause seems to say (to me).

Can you copy and paste?

If it is in the regulations, than it definitely isn't enforced, because the amount of Australian players they have had over the years definitely didn't all have dual Aus-NZ citizenship.

This season they have 6 Australians in addition to 4 'foreigners' (their 5th was the guy whose transfer was botched by the NZ FA).

There is no way those 6 Australians all have NZ dual nationality, especially given one already has dual nationality from a third country due to his heritage 

On 17/02/2016 at 12:30 PM, Tesla said:

Can you copy and paste?

If it is in the regulations, than it definitely isn't enforced, because the amount of Australian players they have had over the years definitely didn't all have dual Aus-NZ citizenship.

This season they have 6 Australians in addition to 4 'foreigners' (their 5th was the guy whose transfer was botched by the NZ FA).

There is no way those 6 Australians all have NZ dual nationality, especially given one already has dual nationality from a third country due to his heritage 

I've confused you - see my correction above. The reference to Shane Smeltz was really to explain how  - I think - he can be classed as an Australian player even though he is an NZ international.

Here's what I was looking at:

Edited by jw1739
Deleted file

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I've confused you - see my correction above. The reference to Shane Smeltz was really to explain how  - I think - he can be classed as an Australian player even though he is an NZ international.

Here's what I was looking at:

Players.doc

Yeah I understand the Smeltz situation, and you are correct, I was only bringing dual nationality into it as that would be the only way all these Australians could play for Wellington if Australians did count as visa players for Wellington.

It is an unfair advantage Wellington have, and if it is decided they are remaining in the league for the long term then the situation needs to be addressed, with the best solution being that both Australian & NZ players don't count as foreigners for all A-League teams. Though if that were to happen I'd like there to be a second NZ team and for the NZ FA to recognise the A-League as the top division football competition in NZ (like how the MLS is recognised by the Canadian FA as the top division in Canada as well). Though of course that bring up the same old problems of NZ not being in the same continent, and also we would have a huge difference between 'foreign' players for A-League purposes and 'foreign' players for ACL purposes, but only teams in the ACL need to worry about thatand should manage their list accordingly (ensuring they are able to still field a strong team in the ACL).

Edited by Tesla

30 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Yeah I understand the Smeltz situation, and you are correct, I was only bringing dual nationality into it as that would be the only way all these Australians could play for Wellington if Australians did count as visa players for Wellington.

It is an unfair advantage Wellington have, and if it is decided they are remaining in the league for the long term then the situation needs to be addressed, with the best solution being that both Australian & NZ players don't count as foreigners for all A-League teams. Though if that were to happen I'd like there to be a second NZ team and for the NZ FA to recognise the A-League as the top division football competition in NZ (like how the MLS is recognised by the Canadian FA as the top division in Canada as well). Though of course that bring up the same old problems of NZ not being in the same continent, and also we would have a huge difference between 'foreign' players for A-League purposes and 'foreign' players for ACL purposes, but only teams in the ACL need to worry about thatand should manage their list accordingly (ensuring they are able to still field a strong team in the ACL).

This, this and this!

In terms of the NZ club/s playing in the ACL, I don't think they should as long as NZ is part of Oceania. Unless of course the AFC can agree with the FFA that NZ & Aussie players all count as locals in NZ & Australia.

4 hours ago, Red or Dead said:

This, this and this!

In terms of the NZ club/s playing in the ACL, I don't think they should as long as NZ is part of Oceania. Unless of course the AFC can agree with the FFA that NZ & Aussie players all count as locals in NZ & Australia.

An issue would be for any clubs making the Asian Champions League would be any New Zealanders would count as international players. Lets say we had four Kiwi's a part of our squad and then our five current VISA players we would only be able to register three of those nine players. Would then make squad registrations quite difficult for A League clubs.

For the sake of the League it would be extremely logical but because New Zealand aren't a part of Asia it makes things quite more difficult. 

Edited by Jozzy

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Fuck getting Tim cahill.

The bloke constantly bags the a-league, and out of all the positions on the field we are currently covered for and out and out striker (Bruno)

Pass

IMO Timmy is to scared to come back and be a failure. Didn't exactly light it up in the MLS and the money thrown at him made it easy for him to decide to go to China. I reckon he saw Kewell and saw how hard it is back here. I can't argue with the national team goals scored so well done to him. Still can't believe with his latest bullshit on foxsports, apparently we are a 3rd world country. EAD 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sparta Rotterdam on verge of securing Adelaide United’s free agent Craig Goodwin

14 minutes ago
Val MigliaccioSoccer WriterThe Advertiser

Craig Goodwin in action against Central Coast Mariners at home. Photo: Stephen Laffer.

SPARTA Rotterdam wants to have a closer look at Adelaide United’s free agent Craig Goodwin.

The Dutch club, which is currently sitting 11 points clear of the Eerste division (second division), had recently sent scouts to watch Goodwin play for the Reds before returning home with a glowing report card.

Goodwin’s agent Zeljko Susa, from The Pitch Management, confirmed Sparta’s interest.

“Craig also has good interest from another two leading Dutch clubs,” he said.

Sparta still has six matches of its season remaining but at the very worst — if it doesn’t claim the Eerste division title — the club has already secured at least promotional play off games.

Goodwin has made no secret he was on the move earlier this year preferring to further his career in either the Netherlands, Austria or Belgium in a bid to become a mainstay of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russian bound Socceroos outfit.

Sparta was also coached by Han Berger and Rob Baan — former Football Federation Australia technical directors.

It’s not the first time Goodwin has had links to a move abroad after he cruelly had his contract torn up by Inverness when the club was relegated from the Scottish premier league when he was just 16.

The now 24-year-old has been a key player in Adelaide United’s rise to the finals series under Barcelona legend Guillermo Amor.

Goodwin has blossomed as a winger — right and left — and has recently added five star credibility to his defensive game at left back since making the move in the absence of Tarek Elrich.

Goodwin is also poised to join fellow Australian Kenneth Dougall — a former Brisbane Roar youth player at Sparta.

Dougall, 22, has made 26 league appearances for Sparta.

In other news, Reds winger Bruce Kamau is believed to be on Melbourne City’s radar while defender Dylan McGowan is at odds to leave Adelaide — potentially for Sydney FC.

3 hours ago, wfc_10 said:

Would probably take Kamau over Kuzi tbh, Fitzgerald's performances so far have probably earnt him a 2 year deal

The catch is that Kuzi has another year to run on his contract. So unless we're trying to offload Kuzi, why sign another winger? There was a rumour a while back about Kuzi being terminated, but there's been nothing further.

4 hours ago, wfc_10 said:

Would probably take Kamau over Kuzi tbh, Fitzgerald's performances so far have probably earnt him a 2 year deal

Kuzi looks like a bad bit of business by us - and on a 2 year deal. Would be OK if you won matches by executing the most number of step-overs FFS  :droy:

Edited by HEARTinator

Guys we can't forget Kuzi only turned 19 in January, I believe Ali Eyigun is the only player younger than him that's made a first team appearance this season. He was never going to make an impact straight away. His onfield performances haven't concerned me at all. We've heard so much talk on his behavior behind doors. If a fringe player is more interested in causing trouble than he is breaking into our first eleven then I don't want him involved at our great club.

Kamau is an interesting link, we don't have a whole heap of proven depth out wide and if we are playing in the ACL next season then good depth is absolutely vital. Does have plenty of A League experience for a player of his age and has shown some good things. In saying that though I don't think he's going to set the world on fire but if he was willing to sign on a smaller contract then I'd kindly welcome him onboard. 

Edited by Jozzy
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Jozzy said:

Guys we can't forget Kuzi only turned 19 in January, I believe Ali Eyigun is the only player younger than him that's made a first team appearance this season. He was never going to make an impact straight away. His onfield performances haven't concerned me at all. We've heard so much talk on his behavior behind doors. If a fringe player is more interested in causing trouble than he is breaking into our first eleven then I don't want him involved at our great club.

Kamau is an interesting link, we don't have a whole heap of proven depth out wide and if we are playing in the ACL next season then good depth is absolutely vital. Does have plenty of A League experience for a player of his age and has shown some good things. In saying that though I don't think he's going to set the world on fire but if he was willing to sign on a smaller contract then I'd kindly welcome him onboard. 

Especially agree with the bold part. Kuzi just turned 19 in January. Compare with Mauk, who will turn 21 later this year. If we let Mauk go at Kuzi's age it clearly would have been a big mistake, so likewise Kuzi should get a bit more time at the club to develop and try and claim a spot in the team (however if he's not making much progress by next season, then at the back end of next season I reckon the club should contemplate letting Kuzi go).

Every club has to have at least 3 players that are 20 or younger. Bruce Kamau is 21, so he wouldn't even help the club in that regard (and should be judged as a senior player if he signs). However Kuzmanovski and Marino would count as 2 players 20 or younger for next season, so therefore they are useful squad additions. 

It's always risky signing young players, but with many A-League rules that demand or encourage the signing of young players (min. 3 players 20 or younger, $200k for 3 young players [like Melling] outside the salary cap and squad of 23, and Mature Aged Rookie aged 22 or older from the NPL outside the cap) A-League clubs must sign up some young players. Sometimes they'll come good, like Melling, Retre, Garuccio and Mauk, and sometimes they won't like Ross Archibald. Overall though it's just a matter of the club making the most reasonable guesses it can on the potential of young players, and overall I'd say Melbourne City have a much better record with young players than other A-League clubs.

All up I reckon it's not appropriate to speak of young players "being a waste", as A-League clubs are required by the FFA to sign young players, and they are normally paid minimum wage or are paid outside the salary cap. And with the City era of this club seeing the club win the NYL and NPL under-20 competitions, as well as the club lure some highly rated youngsters to the club (e.g. Chapman and Melling), I'd say it's fair to give the benefit of the doubt to the club with youth signings and expect the club to keep bringing the most promising young players in the A-League/Australia to our club.

34 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Especially agree with the bold part. Kuzi just turned 19 in January. Compare with Mauk, who will turn 21 later this year. If we let Mauk go at Kuzi's age it clearly would have been a big mistake, so likewise Kuzi should get a bit more time at the club to develop and try and claim a spot in the team (however if he's not making much progress by next season, then at the back end of next season I reckon the club should contemplate letting Kuzi go).

Every club has to have at least 3 players that are 20 or younger. Bruce Kamau is 21, so he wouldn't even help the club in that regard (and should be judged as a senior player if he signs). However Kuzmanovski and Marino would count as 2 players 20 or younger for next season, so therefore they are useful squad additions. 

It's always risky signing young players, but with many A-League rules that demand or encourage the signing of young players (min. 3 players 20 or younger, $200k for 3 young players [like Melling] outside the salary cap and squad of 23, and Mature Aged Rookie aged 22 or older from the NPL outside the cap) A-League clubs must sign up some young players. Sometimes they'll come good, like Melling, Retre, Garuccio and Mauk, and sometimes they won't like Ross Archibald. Overall though it's just a matter of the club making the most reasonable guesses it can on the potential of young players, and overall I'd say Melbourne City have a much better record with young players than other A-League clubs.

All up I reckon it's not appropriate to speak of young players "being a waste", as A-League clubs are required by the FFA to sign young players, and they are normally paid minimum wage or are paid outside the salary cap. And with the City era of this club seeing the club win the NYL and NPL under-20 competitions, as well as the club lure some highly rated youngsters to the club (e.g. Chapman and Melling), I'd say it's fair to give the benefit of the doubt to the club with youth signings and expect the club to keep bringing the most promising young players in the A-League/Australia to our club.

Everyone's different. But I will say when Mauk was 19 when he showed great signs of the player he is today. To me Kuzi is yet to show any qualities that show he will be a good player, and certainly isn't as far developed in my opinion as mauk was at a similar age. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I wouldn't describe Kuzi as a waste, but the rumours on his attitude are very concerning.

As a player he has potential, but he also had some severe deficiencies which he has to improve if he is going to have a professional career. Frankly his passing, crossing and shooting are well short of a league standard and will only get to adequate if he works very hard.

I assume whether the club persists with him will come down to his willingness to do the hard work  he needs.

Oh and I think he is well behind Mauk at the same age.

For what it's worth I agree about Kuzi, that he hasn't looked a very well-rounded player in his A-League appearances, and of course rumours about attitude are concerning.

However I would say that Retre used to look very lost in midfield, and would regularly under-hit passes and give away possession. Now he's one of the best passers in the team, and has passing accuracy stats of +80% to +90% each game. And while Mauk looked good as a young player IMO (I've been a backer of Mauk's dating back to his Heart days), he used to not influence games a lot (leading many to say this season was crucial for Mauk), and now Mauk takes up excellent positions and influences games lots more.

So all young players need some time to adjust to senior football, and its many differences with youth football. At 19 Kuzi has already played more minutes in the A-League than Mauk had by the same time, and he's played most of his A-League minutes at WSW, so coaches like Popovic rate him, and football observers rate him (4 years ago Craig Foster singled out Kuzmanovski as the example of a "potential match-winning player" with x-factor that the Socceroos need source) and he's played well and scored freely in the NPL, NYL and Australia under-20s team. I hope like Retre and Mauk that Kuzi adapts to senior football and irons out his shortcomings, and can live up to the potential (and I fully agree it is just potential at this stage) that so many have identified in him. So for all the above points I think it's reasonable enough to give Kuzi another season rather than take a punt on some other random 19 year old (if others could name talented 19 year olds, or the club could unearth a replacement, that would be fine too in my book, however I don't think there's a massive embarrassment of riches with young footballers 19 or younger that could immediately step up to the A-League).

3 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

To be honest Murfy, Kuzi hasn't shown any football intelligence the times he has played. He always wants to try to do some step overs. Now if he played some one two's with his team mates. Made runs to take defenders away from the ball, then I wouldn't mind the odd step over. However, he has shown none of that and to be perfectly honest, I don't see a footballer in him. I know he is only 19, but I would move him on.

13 hours ago, silva10 said:

To be honest Murfy, Kuzi hasn't shown any football intelligence the times he has played. He always wants to try to do some step overs. Now if he played some one two's with his team mates. Made runs to take defenders away from the ball, then I wouldn't mind the odd step over. However, he has shown none of that and to be perfectly honest, I don't see a footballer in him. I know he is only 19, but I would move him on.

So true. Very selfish player from what i see. Maybe a couple more seasons in and he will find his feet, hopefully not just doing step overs :blink:

6 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

So true. Very selfish player from what i see. Maybe a couple more seasons in and he will find his feet, hopefully not just doing step overs :blink:

He just needs an eastern European coach whose spent time in some Gulags to put him in his place.

Edited by haz
  • Like 4

Niko, whilst don't like the comment you made, i unfortunately must agree. Paddy Kisnorbo in my mind is a really great club man he gives everything for the shirt but unfortunately he is getting quite slow and i think this is the time for him to step aside and retire. He has been a wonderful servant for the club and i for one will be sorry to see him go but time and tide waits for no man woman or child.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Niko, whilst don't like the comment you made, i unfortunately must agree. Paddy Kisnorbo in my mind is a really great club man he gives everything for the shirt but unfortunately he is getting quite slow and i think this is the time for him to step aside and retire. He has been a wonderful servant for the club and i for one will be sorry to see him go but time and tide waits for no man woman or child.

I agree, I would love to see Paddy stay in some capacity with City. Having said that, I doubt Wilko will stay either once the season finishes. I suspect he will go back to other Asian clubs. 

39 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

@Deviant's source says that paddy K is 100% gone at end of season.

1 hour ago, raw10 said:

I doubt Wilko will stay either once the season finishes. I suspect he will go back to other Asian clubs. 

Rumour is he is going back to CCM. They are probably offering him a 'marquee' deal (marquee by CCM standards). They are after a bit more experience for next season and they have money after collecting $1.5m from Mat Ryan being sold on and because they ran on a shoestring budget this season.

He is a big loss for us but I have to say it's good to see some of the smaller clubs making some good signings for next season.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

A reminder of the players coming out of contract on 31st May this year:
Goalkeeper
Dean Bouzanis

Defenders
Patrick Kisnorbo
Aaron Hughes
Michael Zullo
Alex Wilkinson

Midfielders
Jason Trifiro
Anthony Caceres

Forwards
James Brown
Marc Marino
Wade Dekker
Nick Fitzgerald

And we have already signed Manny Muscat, defender.

So there is a lot of room for change and improvement to the squad.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A reminder of the players coming out of contract on 31st May this year:
Goalkeeper
Dean Bouzanis

Defenders
Patrick Kisnorbo - GONE
Aaron Hughes - GONE
Michael Zullo
Alex Wilkinson - GONE (reluctantly, would rather he stays)

Midfielders
Jason Trifiro (Gone if he doesn't take a pay cut)
Anthony Caceres (Not signed to us, yet. Once signed, stays)

Forwards
James Brown - GONE
Marc Marino 
Wade Dekker - GONE (only to make room for an elevated NPL player)
Nick Fitzgerald

And we have already signed Manny Muscat, defender.

So there is a lot of room for change and improvement to the squad.

Just sayin.

• jw1739 pinned this topic