Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

No, we don't want recycled marquees who have already played for other A-League clubs.

Isn't CFG big enough to find the player(s) we need? If not, then fire the 32 scouts (or whatever the number is now) and get some new ones.

Surely CFG could actually attempt to buy a player who is under contract, rather then finding some old fart with an injury history 

No, we don't want recycled marquees who have already played for other A-League clubs.

Isn't CFG big enough to find the player(s) we need? If not, then fire the 32 scouts (or whatever the number is now) and get some new ones.

given how Fornaroli and Sorensen have gone I think it is fair to say the current scouts aren't that bad. Koren sadly was just a first CFG cock up as CFG didn't really understand what they were dealing with in the a league.

Add to Fornaroli and Sorensen the young talent that CFG have placed faith in to meet a league standards (Dekker, Kuzi et al), the early signs this season are that we are well on the way up recruitment wise. 

Edited by mattyh001

given how Fornaroli and Sorensen have gone I think it is fair to say the current scouts aren't that bad. Koren sadly was just a first CFG cock up as CFG didn't really understand what they were dealing with in the a league.

Add to Fornaroli and Sorensen the young talent that CFG have placed faith in to meet a league standards (Dekker, Kuzi et al), the early signs this season are that we are well on the way up recruitment wise. 

I agree I think they misread the standard of the A League with the players that they brought in the frist transfer window. But since then most of the players have at least be capable of the A League standard. 

With the Nix being wrapped up at the end of the year we can now sign Bonevacia :up:

I don't think it's clear at all that Phoenix will finish at the end of this season. What's been decided is that they won't be granted a 10-year extension. They can still apply for an extension to the end of 2019/20 if they wish. Their current licence expires at the end of the current season, and I guess it's up to the syndicate that owns the licence to decide what to do.

Edited by jw1739

I don't think it's clear at all that Phoenix will finish at the end of this season. What's been decided is that they won't be granted a 10-year extension. They can still apply for an extension to the end of 2019/20 if they wish. Their current licence expires at the end of the current season, and I guess it's up to the syndicate that owns the licence to decide what to do.

You would probably think what the point is, since its clear the FFA dont want them anymore

I don't want Wellington to stay and I don't want another New Zealand team to replace them, and I'm certain the FFA/AFC shares those sentiments. 

However, I truly feel awful for their supporters because as much as this club has driven me up the wall, it's still my club and after all the investment I've put in (time + $$$), I'd be devastated if it were taken away from me. 

It's definitely on. Daniel Garb of Fox Sports (@DanielGarb) has broken the story, and Bolton has confirmed the loan move until the 3rd of Jan 2016:

Luke Brattan joins Bolton Wanderers on loan

Posted: Mon 26 Oct 2015 
Author: @OfficialBWFC

Midfielder arrives after recently penning permanent deal with Manchester City

Bolton Wanderers have completed the loan signing of midfielder Luke Brattan from Manchester City.

The 25-year-old joins on a deal that will run until 3 January 2016.

Brattan, who was born in Hull, has previously spent the last five seasons with three-time Australian A-League championship winners Brisbane Roar. 

He was also named in the PFA A-League Team of the Season during the 2013/14 season.

But after his Brisbane contract expired, Brattan has now joined Manchester City on a permanent basis and he will now spend the coming months on loan at Wanderers.

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/luke-brattan-joins-bolton-wanderers-on-loan-2765993.aspx

Strange that Man City haven't announced it. The story broke here 40 minutes ago (10pm Australian time).

Edited by Murfy1

Janko, right now, is a better player than any international marquee currently in the A-League. Judging on how he is going this season, he didn't even show 70% of his ability at Sydney.

Interestingly until January

Pretty sure that's just the rules surrounding loans at this time in England, they can only be short term (I think upto 3 months or upto the next transfer window).

It has been reported on Bolton's official site Murfy, but nothing from City. Hopefully he will be heading to Melbourne in January, so long as you guys want him.

You don't think this might just be how football is in in the FFP era? Big clubs signing players like Bratten just to loan them out for a year or two and then sell them for £2-3m pounds? Seems to be becoming a trend, big clubs signing players that have 0% chance of playing for them, just to be loaned out. Though, from what I understand, FFP has been extremely watered down so maybe not.

Pretty sure that's just the rules surrounding loans at this time in England, they can only be short term (I think upto 3 months or upto the next transfer window).

You don't think this might just be how football is in in the FFP era? Big clubs signing players like Bratten just to loan them out for a year or two and then sell them for £2-3m pounds? Seems to be becoming a trend, big clubs signing players that have 0% chance of playing for them, just to be loaned out. Though, from what I understand, FFP has been extremely watered down so maybe not.

It does help if you can sell players on for good money. Chelsea in particular have done this well over the last few seasons. City on the other hand have only really made money that way this summer.

It could be more a signing for the group rather than to make money though. Obviously, people will think he is going to Melbourne, but he could possibly go to someone else in the group.

It could be more a signing for the group rather than to make money though. Obviously, people will think he is going to Melbourne, but he could possibly go to someone else in the group.

Indeed. And if it's not Melbourne, for some reason people think it's NY, but really Yokohama makes a lot more sense, one of their foreigners has to be from within the Asian confederation.

Yokohama makes even more sense than Melbourne if you ask me.

• Like 2

Indeed. And if it's not Melbourne, for some reason people think it's NY, but really Yokohama makes a lot more sense, one of their foreigners has to be from within the Asian confederation.

Yokohama makes even more sense than Melbourne if you ask me.

It wouldn't surprise me. I don't know anything about Asian football, so I will bow to your superior knowledge lol

I just can't see it is a signing to just sell on. That doesn't make much sense to me.

It wouldn't surprise me. I don't know anything about Asian football, so I will bow to your superior knowledge lol

I just can't see it is a signing to just sell on. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Man City picked him up to do some club a favour I´m sure.. Be it Yokohama, Melbourne or bleeding Bolton (that actually is a Gtr Manchester club).

Until we release Koren - his salary is outside the salary cap so we can easily pay out his remaining few months and sign Brattan as marquee for the rest of the season and it won't have any impact on our Salary Cap.

You can only have 1 marquee per season. If Koren gets sacked (basically that's what everyone wants ) we can't replace him. I can't see how we can bring in Brattan. Jw1739 or Murf can maybe clarify the rules.

That's my understanding on marquees although I am struggling to find it in black-and-white. The only way I can see Brattan coming to Melbourne would be on a 14-match guest stint. Whether or not FFA would see Brattan as having the necessary qualities to be allowed as a guest is debatable - although they did allow Francis Jeffers as a guest at Newcastle in 2010 and he was hardly a household name (except possibly for the wrong reasons).

So really the question should be then asked why would we waste a guest spot on Brattan.  Now don't get me wrong Brattan is top A League player and possibly will improve but we have an opportunity to get anyone as a guest player.

So whatever the scenario plays out with Brattan I can't see it involving us this season. 

Would definitely take next year. (Cough cough Paartalu/Koren. ).

• jw1739 pinned this topic