Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

But Mauk did show his ability early on. I think the fact he missed most of last season may have lead people to forget his previous impressive performances. It's also easy to forget how young he was when he made those impressive performances, despite missing a year he is still younger than Melling, for example.

Mauk looked good when he came on in the semi final. Bugger all game time all season and chucked in the deep end in a derby semi with no decent midfielders around him.

Mauk has shown a lot of promise and deserves a chance to show what he can do. Deserves to be in the team more than our current marquee

• Like 2

Now that Aloisi has axed Rado the chances that Roar will be next season's Jets have continued to increase. Which made me look at their list and possible targets: Donachie, Broich (but not on marquee salary), Clut, Brattan and Brendan Borello. Problem with this list is that three players are midfielders of which we have plenty thus leaving Borello and Donachie.

Berbatov wants Premier League return

Former Tottenham, Manchester United and Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov is keen on a return to the Premier League following his Monaco exit.

Dimitar Berbatov is eyeing a Premier League return after he was released by Monaco.

Berbatov is a free agent after Ligue 1 side Monaco opted against extending the Bulgarian striker's contract during the week.

The 34-year-old is no stranger to England, having enjoyed successful spells with Tottenham and Manchester United, prior to joining Fulham, where he left for Monaco in 2014.

"It'd be a pleasure [to return to England]," said the Bulgarian.

"I spent a long time in England and I keep very good memories. Everyone is watching the English championship... the Premier League, and I'll be delighted to return.

"I feel good and I think I still have a lot to give to football."

Berbatov, who scored 13 goals in 38 Ligue 1 appearances, won two Premier League titles at Old Trafford between 2008 and 2011, while the veteran helped Tottenham to League Cup glory in 2007-08.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/berbatov-wants-premier-league-return

Old but I reckon he would be more effective than Koren or Kennedy! But I personally wouldn't sign another 34 year old as that has been our past issues.

Pleased to hear the talk about Kuzmanovski. It's also interesting that WSW re-signed multiple young players today (who are all Kuzmanovski's age) and there was no mention of Kuzmanovski. At the very least it looks like he's leaving WSW. 

Also from Soccer Stoppage Time today:

If McLaren goes as we disclosed weeks back it will be to one of @gomvfc @MelbourneCity

https://twitter.com/SocStoppageTime/status/606671033349709824

I gotta say I'm just pretty pleased with the reports that Melbourne City are at least trying to sign quality Australian players, such as Corey Gameiro and Jamie Maclaren. Previously the club didn't seem to be so bold in the transfer market (maybe Melbourne Heart staff thought our club didn't have the pulling power). Also, all the talk ATM suggests that Melbourne City is aiming to strengthen in the right areas--RB, right winger, striker (strikers?)--and probably other areas that haven't been reported.

So overall the off season recruitment is looking well planned and pretty impressive ATM.  

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

It's good we are looking at these guys Murf, but in the end it's a results business. Don't tell me who you looked at, tell me who you signed.

Agree with this but... given that CFG do not talk to anyone all we are left with is speculation as to who the club may be talking to. If we stuck only to the official news these would be rather empty forums.

It's good we are looking at these guys Murf, but in the end it's a results business. Don't tell me who you looked at, tell me who you signed.

You've got to be in it to win it. Previously (with Melbourne Heart) I'm not sure the club even tried to sign top players when they became available (a lot of the previous efforts where the club reportedly 'tried' to sign quality players, like Beckham and Kevin Gameiro and so on, seemed more focused on getting the club's name in the headlines than actually recruiting players).

Especially with the A-League salary cap the club won't always lure top players to the club, but I respect the club for having a crack at signing such players in the first place, even though your right that overall the most important thing is that players get signed.

Also, I'm really getting the feeling that Melbourne City is quickly getting the most pulling power in the A-League. Earlier this year Davutovic reported that "several A-League clubs" were interested in Franjic. So for Franjic to join Melbourne City, inside the cap and for 3 seasons is a big endorsement of the club, and a sign that quality players are keen to be apart of the Melbourne City project.

So all up I'm pleased not just because the club is trying to sign more good players (although I do think that on it's own merits some praise), but because Melbourne City is beating numerous other A-League clubs to land good players (Duff and Paartalu are other examples where multiple A-League clubs, including Sydney FC and Melbourne victory, were interested in both).

And I'm keen to see the next bit of recruitment where Melbourne City win out against other A-League clubs (maybe Corey Gameiro?)... 

Edited by Murfy1

Gameiro is still young and he should make a full recovery from the ACL. Most sportsman do at that age. Injuries become worrisome when they are much older but some like Archie Thomson do manage it. For some posters it seems that if a player catches a cold then we should steer clear away from them. Sign Gameiro.

• Like 3

WSW have released their Japanese players Yojiro Takahagi and Yusuke Tanaka.

If Melbourne City release both Murdocca and Germano, I reckon Takahagi could be a good signing. He truly looked class IMO in a WSW where few other players were helping to keep WSW competitive in games. He's a good age at 28 and is proven in the A-League, which is a very valuable quality for a player (because there inevitably is a lot of guesswork when bringing in a brand new foreigner to the A-League).

I'd say if both Murdocca and Germano go we'll need 1 more midfielder to complete our midfield (especially as Mooy and Mauk will likely be away now and again next season on national team duty).

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

If Melbourne City release both Murdocca and Germano, I reckon Takahagi could be a good signing. He truly looked class IMO in a WSW where few other players were helping to keep WSW competitive in games. He's a good age at 28 and is proven in the A-League, which is a very valuable quality for a player (because there inevitably is a lot of guesswork when bringing in a brand new foreigner to the A-League).

I'd say if both Murdocca and Germano go we'll need 1 more midfielder to complete our midfield (especially as Mooy and Mauk will likely be away now and again next season on national team duty).

Takahagi played 17 matches for WSW and scored 3 goals - 2 of them against us. Seems to have an impressive pedigree. Would be a very good pick-up - except that we have Koren and there wouldn't be room for both of them in the team, and there's not much point in having a visa player who doesn't command a first-team place.

But who would Takahagi do the sumo goal celebration with?

But who would Takahagi do the sumo goal celebration with?

Williams generally returns for pre season looking a few kgs overweight. Perfect partner.

• Like 3

Present situation as I have it.

Goalkeepers.

Redmayne. Contract until 31/5/16.

Velaphi. Out of contract.

Defenders.

Hoffman. Contract until 31/5/16.

Chapman. Contract until 31/5/16.

Kisnorbo. Contract until 31/5/16.

Clisby. Contract until 31/5/16.

Franjic. Contract until 31/5/18.

Midfielders.

Mauk. Contract until 31/5/16.

Garuccio. Contract until 31/5/17.

Paartalu. Contract until 31/5/18

Mooy. Contract until 31/5/16.

Koren (V,M). Contract until 31/5/16.

Melling. Contract until 31/5/16.

Retre. Contract until 31/5/16.

Germano (V). Out of contract.

Murdocca. Out of contract.

Forwards.

Williams. Contract until 31/5/16.

Brown. Contract until 31/5/16.

Marino. Contract until 31/5/16.

Kennedy (M). Contract until 31/5/16.

Novillo (V) - injury replacement - out of contract.

• Like 3

Goalkeepers.

Defenders.

Midfielders.

Forwards.

Seems like next years off season will be very exciting 

Would rather Germano over either

I think you will find that Murdocca has gone i believe he signed for Avondale abour 2 weeks ago.

I think you will find that Murdocca has gone i believe he signed for Avondale abour 2 weeks ago.

Johnno. He was released from his City contract on 3rd May (I think) to join Avondale for 10 matches. It's not clear whether City want to have him back. My guess is that his A-League career is over, but I think we have to wait for confirmation from City before assuming that.

AFAIK there has been no statement from City regarding Velaphi, Germano, or Novillo. Contracts expired on 31st May, so technically they are out of contract unless they have signed (for City or someone else) and we don't know.

Corey Gameiro has started following Melbourne City's Community twitter account and Scott Munn's twitter account.

Things are looking pretty good..

He also just followed Franjic and Novillo! Start a thread for him, we've got him!!!

Should we take that Novillo is signed for next seasn too

• Like 1

I think you will find that Murdocca has gone i believe he signed for Avondale abour 2 weeks ago. Johnno. He was released from his City contract on 3rd May (I think) to join Avondale for 10 matches. It's not clear whether City want to have him back. My guess is that his A-League career is over, but I think we have to wait for confirmation from City before assuming that.

AFAIK there has been no statement from City regarding Velaphi, Germano, or Novillo. Contracts expired on 31st May, so technically they are out of contract unless they have signed (for City or someone else) and we don't know. My understanding is Mass hasn't been announced yet because his contract status depends on other deals.

Essentially if Germano and novillo accept the deals the club has offered them, mass is gone.

Should one or both knock the offers back, mass will be offered a minimum wage contract.

The 10 game stint is merely a game time thing

Corey Gameiro has started following Melbourne City's Community twitter account and Scott Munn's twitter account.

Things are looking pretty good..

He also just followed Franjic and Novillo! Start a thread for him, we've got him!!! Its not Thurs 10 am yet.. wait till then!

Good signing, but how does Gameiro fit into the picture, I presume on the left wing rather than as the striker (assuming we continue to play with one striker rather than 2, safe assumption given JVS doesn't like to change his system).

Of course if Kennedy is unavailable he could play as the striker, good to actually have a competent second option.

We should send Williams packing if Gameiro is actually signed.

Not sure about Novillo now either, given he won't be cheap and Gameiro > Novillo.

Came to the thread to post about Scott Mcdonald being a good option if we can get him under the cap, seems to have been playing as an attacking mid rather than striker recently, so if we got rid of Koren, we could bring Mcdonald in and also have him as a second option in terms of a striker, while using our international marquee spot on a winger. But this Gameiro signing changes all of that.

Also surely Gameiro is the end of the McLaren talk.

Edited by Tesla

Good signing, but how does Gameiro fit into the picture, I presume on the left wing rather than as the striker (assuming we continue to play with one striker rather than 2, safe assumption given JVS doesn't like to change his system).

Of course if Kennedy is unavailable he could play as the striker, good to actually have a competent second option.

We should send Williams packing if Gameiro is actually signed.

Not sure about Novillo now either, given he won't be cheap and Gameiro > Novillo.

Came to the thread to post about Scott Mcdonald being a good option if we can get him under the cap, seems to have been playing as an attacking mid rather than striker recently, so if we got rid of Koren, we could bring Mcdonald in and also have him as a second option in terms of a striker, while using our international marquee spot on a winger. But this Gameiro signing changes all of that.

Also surely Gameiro is the end of the McLaren talk.

I'd love to see us pick up McLaren too. Depth and competition up front is something we have sorely lacked.

Goalkeepers.

Defenders.

Midfielders.

Forwards.

Kuzmanovski. Contract until 31/5/17.

Updated 8th June 2015 with the signing of Kuzmanovski.

• jw1739 pinned this topic