Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Fox sports says http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/sydney-fc-squad-no-room-for-milos-dimitrijevic-bernie-ibini-corey-gameiro-in-2015-16-squad/story-e6frf4gl-1227381215527

Corey Gameiro, the Olyroo striker in recovery from an ACL operation and it’s believed who rejected a new deal with Sydney in order to sign with another A-League club

Edited by bellydrum

Im trying to think of ways to fit in Koren and Mooy realistically, but it isnt happening, I thought that maybe he could play a similar role to Broich at brisbane, starting wide and coming inside.

But we dont even have a good full back to make runs into that space. Koren out, Asley Cole IN

Although being predominantly a #10, Van der Vaart can play anywhere from midfield forward. In fact, I'm fairly certain he even played a handful of games up top for Spurs.

I would be surprised to see him come to the A-League at this stage. Sounds like there are still a few clubs around Europe that are interested in him.

Edited by Pete Heartspur

All I really care about is replacing Koren with a suitable marquee, what's the point in having truckloads of cash in a salary capped competition when you don't even capitalise on the one exemption? Sure, sexy facilities are great and all but what's the point when you've got the Korens of the world using them?

That, and we probably need to replace at least half a dozen more players

• Like 6

Not sure if it means too much but Gameiro recently followed the official Melbourne City Community account on twitter.

Only thing more reliable is some Greek dude that's well connected. Gameiro in the number 7 next season me thinks.  

How serious is/was Gameiro's knee injury?

Do we really have to sign another player with an injury history?

We've spent a lot of money on The Germano Treatment Centre, do you want to see it go to waste?

Did his ACL, before that he didnt have an injury history. Since Ripamonti is gone and the rumor being that we are bringing in a whole new swath of medical staff from the UK and AU, I think our history with injuries might be a thing of the past in the future. 

lol nah he will probably do the other knee here. 

Edited by Dylan

Not sure if it means too much but Gameiro recently followed the official Melbourne City Community account on twitter.

Ah but he just liked New york city FC page on facebook. Means he'll only be here for a 4 game stint unfortunately :(

Fixed

• Like 4

Gameiro is a jet, hopefully he gets back to his best after the knee op. If we have him and Novillo cutting in from the wings I'll be happy as Larry.

Franjic is a great get too.

What's the goss with Koren, have we heard anything? Can't be bothered looking through the thread.

Gameiro is a jet, hopefully he gets back to his best after the knee op. If we have him and Novillo cutting in from the wings I'll be happy as Larry.

Franjic is a great get too.

What's the goss with Koren, have we heard anything? Can't be bothered looking through the thread.

Of course we have heard nothing official except the five releases (Ramsay, Dugandzic, Wielaert, Jaliens and Duff) and two contract extensions for one year (Kisnorbo and Retre) - this is CFG we're dealing with.

It appears that Murdocca was released on 3rd May but not officially announced.

The following are out of contract (31st May) but there has been no announcement other than that there won't be any comment - Velaphi, Germano, Novillo.

No comment so far on new signings.

See http://www.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/city-begin-aleague-rebuild-with-cull-20150513-3vvlp.html

If NYCFC have Villa, Lampard and Pirlo on their books, whilst we're stuck with Koren next season, then, well, fuck that.

IMO the FFA need to take the shackles off teams and allow more Marquees to be signed outside the salary cap. This will leave more money inside the cap to obtain better quality players.

In the US they are called DP'S and you can sign 3 of them, as well as up to 9 Visa players

I think the teams should be allowed to sign 5 Marquees, which two need to be Australian and allow up to 6 Visa spots overall in the squad.

If NYCFC have Villa, Lampard and Pirlo on their books, whilst we're stuck with Koren next season, then, well, fuck that.

IMO the FFA need to take the shackles off teams and allow more Marquees to be signed outside the salary cap. This will leave more money inside the cap to obtain better quality players.

In the US they are called DP'S and you can sign 3 of them, as well as up to 9 Visa players

I think the teams should be allowed to sign 5 Marquees, which two need to be Australian and allow up to 6 Visa spots overall in the squad.

Sounds ok, but then the same few teams will compete for silverware each year whilst the remaining teams will just make up the numbers.

Supporters will then leave because their community based teams are shit and will just turn back to AFL and worse still, that game they play up north.

Sounds ok, but then the same few teams will compete for silverware each year whilst the remaining teams will just make up the numbers.

Supporters will then leave because their community based teams are shit and will just turn back to AFL and worse still, that game they play up north.

I understand your concerns Rass, however it may also give impetus for people to come in and invest.

The standard of the league needs to improve to attract more sponsor and fan interest. At the moment it seems that quite a few teams are struggling to sign the right quality within the cap, hence the Perth situation.

I can't see players coming to and staying in the A League if the earnings are too low.

Yeah, pretty much, rass.

Some of the clubs in the league would be royally screwed if other clubs were able to sign more marquees outside of the cap, which at this stage, cannot happen for obvious reasons.

Heart would have been worse off since we had owners that were so reluctant to spend.

But yeah, all this doesn't detract from the fact that CFG have made a crucial error in their usage of the International Marquee spot thus far.

Edited by RedAndWhitePride
  • Like 1

silva we need to balance the spectacle with the need to provide a development pathway for elite Australian players. On one hand we can retain top players longer of they are paid more, but we can't retain anyone of the clubs aren't financial. Unlike the UK where the EPL is financed by a great TV deal, here we definitely third priority for TV networks although we are making a case for a better deal during the next broadcast negotiations. Currently the league is financed by an amount equivalent to the Man City cafeteria budget.

The AFC wants us to reduce our allowed number of visa players to 4, not increase it. Your other proposal of having more players outside the cap - there isn't sufficient Australian money interested in football to sustain the league even as it is structured now. 

silva we need to balance the spectacle with the need to provide a development pathway for elite Australian players. On one hand we can retain top players longer of they are paid more, but we can't retain anyone of the clubs aren't financial. Unlike the UK where the EPL is financed by a great TV deal, here we definitely third priority for TV networks although we are making a case for a better deal during the next broadcast negotiations. Currently the league is financed by an amount equivalent to the Man City cafeteria budget.

I agree there needs to be a pathway for the youth in Australia to come through.

Hopefully in time that will happen.

It is also important for clubs to be able to retain these players when they turn 16. Even a lower league English team seem to be able to pay more than most A League teams.

I understand the financial restraints most clubs are under, but the best way to improve any league is to bring in and retain quality players.

The AFC wants us to reduce our allowed number of visa players to 4, not increase it. Your other proposal of having more players outside the cap - there isn't sufficient Australian money interested in football to sustain the league even as it is structured now. 

I think they are wrong JW

Reducing the number of Visa players won't improve Australian players. Only by training and playing with better players do people improve.

• jw1739 pinned this topic