Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

5 hours ago, fensaddler said:

To me it taints anyone from that Macarthur squad. I'd be cautious about any of them.

To me it would not taint the younger players or Germain. Unless the youth player knows that he won't make it in the A-League and they have nothing else to fall back on , then I would consider them to be a prospect.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

So did I

I think it taints the whole season TBH. In this case APL is in an invidious position. As I've pointed out, if that match is declared null and void, the end of season table changes, and therefore so should the "finals" matches. We don't know - and of course are not intended to know - how widespread match-fixing was. If it was Macarthur only, then why target them unless the people running the show already knew they had a bad egg on their books?

APL may have taken plenty of missteps, but they certainly didn't need this.

I don't think anyone, official or otherwise, know the extent. That is how corruption works. A friend of mine reported directly to a state government official who was caught taking about $300k worth of bribes. She worked with him, daily and she swears that she never ever saw any behaviour that would suggest that. For all we know, other sports are also affected, it is just that they haven't been detected.

On 15/06/2024 at 4:11 PM, MHFC-FAN said:

Does Macarthur just sign all our discarded wingers? Noone, Rodrigues and now Jakolis...😂

Not to mention the two Pokemon Najjar and his upgrade Najjarine

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Forgot about Markel Susaeta too. Geez do these guys even scout

They don't need to. Go through all the clubs and list ex-City players, particularly those that came through us as younger players, even if not right from the beginning.

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

They don't need to. Go through all the clubs and list ex-City players, particularly those that came through us as younger players, even if not right from the beginning.

We must have provided a fair chunk of the whole A-League squads through either our academy players or ex visa players...

The only current listed players that we're waiting to hear about are Harry Politidis, who I would have thought we would extend based on his first-team appearances, Aziz Behich, who I assume will return from his loan, and Marco Tilio, who I would think would be the subject of negotiations with Celtic.

IMO we are short of at least a quality mid-fielder to partner Arslan, and two proven quality forwards.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The only current listed players that we're waiting to hear about are Harry Politidis, who I would have thought we would extend based on his first-team appearances, Aziz Behich, who I assume will return from his loan, and Marco Tilio, who I would think would be the subject of negotiations with Celtic.

IMO we are short of at least a quality mid-fielder to partner Arslan, and two proven quality forwards.

And one maybe two CBs since Reis, Good and Hall have gone leaves only Souprayen and Trewin and a very young Necovski.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

And one maybe two CBs since Reis, Good and Hall have gone leaves only Souprayen and Trewin and a very young Necovski.

Agree. And we have only 2 visa players... I can't help it but IMO the squad and supporters need a lift.

4 hours ago, Le Hack said:

I'd be pretty shocked if we went after another Visa CB, unless they aren't planning on playing Trewin at CB...

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I'd be pretty shocked if we went after another Visa CB, unless they aren't planning on playing Trewin at CB...

Well, I don't know. What were our two glaring weaknesses over the season? Inability to turn high possession rates and chances galore into goals, and sagging in the last few minutes? We threw the season away by ourselves in every competition.

15 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well, I don't know. What were our two glaring weaknesses over the season? Inability to turn high possession rates and chances galore into goals, and sagging in the last few minutes? We threw the season away by ourselves in every competition.

We have three visas available so I would get one in every line. So one CF or wing, one midfielder probs a good DM and final one a mid-late 20s CB. But depends on what Aussies available 

• Like 1

Pierias been released by WSW, this is one I would absolutely take back. Still only 24 and has pace, if he is willing to do it perfect off the bench winger for 20-25 minutes with the option of RB if needed 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, neio said:

Pierias been released by WSW, this is one I would absolutely take back. Still only 24 and has pace, if he is willing to do it perfect off the bench winger for 20-25 minutes with the option of RB if needed 

Agreed. Good player when with us.

12 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, unfortunate to be let go. Still think he's a decent player.

Yes decent player, think more upside with Mazzeo and Suleimani who btw has 4 goals in the last 3 NPL matches. But yeah versatile enough to use as both a winger and FB. Also pretty durable not like say Leckie who is probably not a shoe in to play the full number of games again

37 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Yes decent player, think more upside with Mazzeo and Suleimani who btw has 4 goals in the last 3 NPL matches. But yeah versatile enough to use as both a winger and FB. Also pretty durable not like say Leckie who is probably not a shoe in to play the full number of games again

Then you look at it from Pierias' perspective. Why would you sign for Melbourne City and end up like Jordan Hall and Scott Galloway with a coach who seems reluctant to make even meaningful substitutions let alone team selections, and spend most of your time watching from the bench? Young footballers need to play to further their careers.

I'm no doubt dumb but I can understand players leaving City because they are just fed up. Caputo had to struggle to get minutes even though JMac was out of sorts match after match. We steal Beach from Central Coast then sign Young for another season. We give Leckie and Nabbout two more seasons plus a one-year extension option when they couldn't get on the pitch and barely scored a goal between them last season.

• Like 2

When Pierias left you have to remember he had only been seen as a RB and we had Nat Atkinson in front of him. I'm very comfortable with the choice to give Atkinson starting minutes over Pierias.

Young kids are impatient and want games now, unfortunately we can't appease them all, especially when we had another academy prospect who frankly just better in his position.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, neio said:

When Pierias left you have to remember he had only been seen as a RB and we had Nat Atkinson in front of him. I'm very comfortable with the choice to give Atkinson starting minutes over Pierias.

Young kids are impatient and want games now, unfortunately we can't appease them all, especially when we had another academy prospect who frankly just better in his position.

True but Pierias is now 24 so needs to be playing full time. I don't think he'll accept a bench role here. My thoughts are he'll either go back to WU who've lost Risdon so could fill a role at FB there or be picked up by someone likeNewcastle where he'd pretty much be a guaranteed starter. He was pretty much coaxed to WSW from WU due to Rudan who was coach at WU and gave him the most minutes so with Rudan leaving I'd say that's the catalyst in him walking from WSW

• Like 1

Pierias back at RB would be good imho and would start before Talbot, both him and Politidis would have us back playing like we were with them providing the width on the wings, but maybe he wants to be a winger?

Either Natel is very cheap wage wise, or it's just his agent spinning a yarn to gain interest.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, neio said:

According to transfermarkt we are a 88% chance of signing Angel Di Maria.........

Start the thread 

We need more than an Angel - we need a miracle from the Lord himself.

Edited by jw1739
  • Haha 2