Melbourne Football

2020-21 Player Of The Season Votes & Leaderboard

neio

Votes after each MOTM voting will be placed here for our Player of The Season. Voting will stop being announced after we play our 20th game, and when the season finishes the final tally will be revealed. 

Game 1 vs Brisbane (1-0) 
3 Curtis Good (53%) 
2 Connor Metcalfe 
1 Aiden O’Neill 
Game 2 vs Adelaide (0-2)
3 Curtis Good (53%)
2 Connor Metcalfe 
1 Ben Garuccio
Game 3 vs Western United (2-1)
3 Adrian Luna (51%)
2 Curtis Good
1 Craig Noone
Game 4 vs Perth (1-3)
3 Naoki Tsubaki (53%)
2 Adrian Luna
1 Connor Metcalfe 
Game 5 vs Central Coast (2-3)
3 Florin Berenguer (25%)
2 Tom Glover
1 Craig Noone + Adrian Luna
Game 6 vs Newcastle (0-1)
3 Nathaniel Atkinson (30%)
2 Nuno Reis
1 Curtis Good 
Game 7 vs Sydney FC (3-2)
3 Andrew Nabbout (35%)
2 Connor Metcalfe 
1 Jamie Maclaren + Adrian Luna 
Game 8 vs WSW (2-0)
3 Rostyn Griffiths (64%)
2 Jamie Maclaren 
1 Curtis Good 
Game 9 vs Melbourne Victory (6-0)
3 Andrew Nabbout (37%)
2 Connor Metcalfe 
1 Rostyn Griffiths 
Game 10 vs Macarthur (3-0)
3 Andrew Nabbout (68%)
2 Nathaniel Atkinson 
1 Jamie Maclaren 
Game 11 vs Central Coast (2-0)
3 Connor Metcalfe (50%)
2 Nathaniel Atkinson 
1 Florin Berenguer 
Game 12 vs WSW (4-1)
3 Craig Noone (87%)
2 Nathaniel Atkinson 
1 Scott Jamieson 
Game 13 vs Western United (1-2)
3 Nathaniel Atkinson (60%)
2 Craig Noone 
1 Connor Metcalfe 
Game 14 vs Wellington (3-2)
3 Connor Metcalfe (87%)
2 Curtis Good 
1 Marco Tilio
Game 15 vs Sydney (1-1)
3 Curtis Good (45%)
2 Marco Tilio
1 Connor Metcalfe 
Game 16 vs Melbourne Victory (7-0)
3 Jamie Maclaren (77%)
2 Marco Tilio 
1 Andrew Nabbout 
Game 17 vs Macarthur (1-1)
3 Connor Metcalfe (70%)
2 Scott Galloway
1 Aiden O’Neill 

Game 18 vs Newcastle (3-1)

3 Scott Jamieson (33%)
2 Rostyn Griffiths 
1 Curtis Good 
Game 19 vs Perth (3-1)
3 Scott Galloway (43%)
2 Jamie Maclaren 
1 Connor Metcalfe 
Game 20 vs Brisbane (3-2)
3 Aiden O’Neill (42%)
2 Scott Galloway 
1 Connor Metcalfe 
Game 21 vs Adelaide (4-1)
3 Marco Tilio (26%)
2 Scott Jamieson 
1 Curtis Good 
Game 22 vs Wellington (2-2)
3 Marco Tilio (67%)
2 Scott Galloway 
1 Connor Metcalfe 
Game 23 vs Central Coast (1-0)
3 Craig Noone (60%)
2 Nuno Reis 
1 Curtis Good 
Game 24 vs Brisbane (0-3)
3 Taras Gomukla + Naoki Tsubaki (32%)
1 Nuno Reis 
Game 25 vs Melbourne Victory (1-1)
3 Aiden O’Neill (45%) 
2 Nuno Reis 
1 Marco Tilio
Game 26 vs Newcastle (1-2)
3 Florin Berenguer (47%)
2 Nuno Reis 
1 Aiden O’Neill + Stefan Colakovski 
SF vs Macarthur (2-0)
3 Nuno Reis (47%)
2 Nathaniel Atkinson 
1 Stefan Colakovski 
GF vs Sydney (3-1)
3 Nathaniel Atkinson (59%)
2 Marco Tilio
1 Florin Berenguer + Scott Galloway + Scott Jamieson 

SEASON TALLY 
23 Metcalfe
18 Good
17 Atkinson 
14 Tilio
12 Reis, Maclaren
10 Nabbout, Noone, Galloway
9 O'Neill 
7 Luna, Jamieson, Berenguer 
6 Tsubaki, Griffiths 
3 Gomulka
2 Glover, Colakovski 
1 Garrucio

Edited by neio
  • Thanks 3

• jw1739 pinned this topic
52 minutes ago, Deluka said:

The fact that a bloke with 20 goals and 5 assists is sitting equal 5th says what we’re probably all too scared to say, that being that our takes aren’t very good...

Or that we've become complacent with excellence, similar to Bart in his second season. We became accustomed to a very a high standard week in week out.

1 hour ago, Deluka said:

The fact that a bloke with 20 goals and 5 assists is sitting equal 5th says what we’re probably all too scared to say, that being that our takes aren’t very good...

Not at all..... MoM isn’t always about goals and assist. Some people just standard vote for goal scorers whilst others analyse the game and vote the stand out player in their positions.

Jmac has had couple of poor games throughout the season, sometimes invisible and some poor games he scored. Has been a bit inconsistent on MoM level. I would say 3 to 5 is where he belongs. 

Curtis delivers every week, played every game.

We can only vote once per game!

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deluka said:

I'm very aware my takes are horrid and I occasionally get one right and assume everyone else is the same. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Deluka said:

I think the one vote system is a bit flawed.

It means if you want to vote for someone different as a reward to them playing well then you have to do it at the expense of the mom player. For example against Victory Maclaren got 23 votes, Tilio 4, Nabbout 2 and Luna 1. Maclaren should probably have been a universal mom, so if you could assign 2 and then 1 vote it would mean Maclaren could be a universal mom, and then people could recognize the other high performers with their additional vote. 

I realise it is also somewhat flawed (why stop at 2 players, why not 3, no 4, no rank all 11, etc.) but it would be a better way to reward a universal mom while still allowing a bit of variety and other recognition. 

35 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

I think the one vote system is a bit flawed.

It means if you want to vote for someone different as a reward to them playing well then you have to do it at the expense of the mom player. For example against Victory Maclaren got 23 votes, Tilio 4, Nabbout 2 and Luna 1. Maclaren should probably have been a universal mom, so if you could assign 2 and then 1 vote it would mean Maclaren could be a universal mom, and then people could recognize the other high performers with their additional vote. 

I realise it is also somewhat flawed (why stop at 2 players, why not 3, no 4, no rank all 11, etc.) but it would be a better way to reward a universal mom while still allowing a bit of variety and other recognition. 

@neio Is it feasible to consider next season a 3-2-1 vote from each voter each match? More work for you no doubt, but I suspect you might obtain a better overall result. The cumulative MOTM is not necessarily the MOTS.

I was thinking last night that we have Curtis Good, who has played every match for the full 90 and has been the glue that has held the defence together and been virtually flawless in doing so. I'm actually surprised that he's running second, and he may ultimately finish first, but in terms of MOTS he would be my choice so far.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@neio Is it feasible to consider next season a 3-2-1 vote from each voter each match? More work for you no doubt, but I suspect you might obtain a better overall result. The cumulative MOTM is not necessarily the MOTS.

I was thinking last night that we have Curtis Good, who has played every match for the full 90 and has been the glue that has held the defence together and been virtually flawless in doing so. I'm actually surprised that he's running second, and he may ultimately finish first, but in terms of MOTS he would be my choice so far.

It's something we can definitely look at, I'm the first to admit that this voting system isn't perfect at all. 

The only thing about getting cumulative votes from people is that when we win we get alot more voters than if we lose, and it can make voting very skewed towards games that more people see etc

Very open to ideas though how it can be improved 

2 hours ago, neio said:

It's something we can definitely look at, I'm the first to admit that this voting system isn't perfect at all. 

The only thing about getting cumulative votes from people is that when we win we get alot more voters than if we lose, and it can make voting very skewed towards games that more people see etc

Very open to ideas though how it can be improved 

At the risk of making it more work for you there are only the 6 votes to be handed out a game (321) but they go to the top cumulative vote getters.

Eg. 

3 people vote:

3. Maclaren, 2. Good, 1. Glover,    3. Maclaren 2. Luna 1. Colakovski,  3. Good, 2. Maclaren, 1. Glover

Maclaren with the 8 votes total is the highest vote getter and gets the 3. Good with 5 gets the 2. And Glover and Luna draw with 2 each so split the 1. Colakovski only gets 1 and thus misses out on an actual vote, but still receives recognition from that poster and gets his name in the mix. 

3. Maclaren

2. Good

1/2 Each. Glover and Luna. 

This is the system an AFL forum I frequent uses and it generally works really well with a lot of names in the mix. 

Edited by The Aardvark
  • Like 1

I'm in favour of a 3-2-1 system too.

Great to see Metcalfe and Good getting recognition but equally, it's embarrassing to see Maclaren with only 7 votes and Griffiths with only 4 this late into the season.

10 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

At the risk of making it more work for you there are only the 6 votes to be handed out a game (321) but they go to the top cumulative vote getters.

Eg. 

3 people vote:

3. Maclaren, 2. Good, 1. Glover,    3. Maclaren 2. Luna 1. Colakovski,  3. Good, 2. Maclaren, 1. Glover

Maclaren with the 8 votes total is the highest vote getter and gets the 3. Good with 5 gets the 2. And Glover and Luna draw with 2 each so split the 1. Colakovski only gets 1 and thus misses out on an actual vote, but still receives recognition from that poster and gets his name in the mix. 

3. Maclaren

2. Good

1/2 Each. Glover and Luna. 

This is the system an AFL forum I frequent uses and it generally works really well with a lot of names in the mix. 

That looks a good system to me. More or less what I was thinking. At the moment I see the flaw as it being an "all or nothing" vote.

This system is only worth discussing when we are winning. 

Many games back in the day nobody deserved 1 vote, let alone 3, and the total voters could be counted on one hand.

So I say leave it as is and post your thoughts as recognition. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jovan said:

This system is only worth discussing when we are winning. 

Many games back in the day nobody deserved 1 vote, let alone 3, and the total voters could be counted on one hand.

So I say leave it as is and post your thoughts as recognition. 

My thoughts too. Good luck finding a 3 2 1 when we lose at home to Newcastle.

I’m also not completely convinced that we are “getting the wrong result”. Football is a game of opinions after all (fwiw this season I seem mostly in the minority voting wise, which doesn’t bother me particularly)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Who do we think will win "Members' Player of the Season?"

Atkinson and Nabbout have been great, but both have missed too many games. That leaves (to me):

Noone, Maclaren, Metcalfe, Good and Jamieson.

I’d vote for Good but I expect Maclaren to win that particular vote.

PS I hadn’t noticed that email, so thanks for the heads up

PPS Griffiths and Reis missed too many in my view as well, which might be a bit unfair in Rostyn’s case but there you go. Game of opinions 

Edited by Shahanga

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Atkinson and Nabbout have been great, but both have missed too many games. That leaves (to me):

PPS Griffiths and Reis missed too many in my view as well, which might be a bit unfair in Rostyn’s case but there you go. Game of opinions 

I went for Good.

Whilst Maclaren was particularly good during our purple patch, he was rather ordinary in the first third of the season.

Good, however, has been pretty consistently in our top 3 all season and, imo, definitely deserves it.

1 hour ago, neio said:

So the votes have been counted and we have a winner of the Forum Player Of The Season.... CONNOR METCALFE 

Thank you to everyone who voted during season, I understand this system is not absolutely perfect, as there is a couple of anomalies in this year cite, like how few Maclaren got. If anyone has an idea how to make it better for next season I'm all ears 

images (14).jpeg

Is this really an anomaly, just because JMAC scores goals does that make him the best player on the pitch week in week out?

The hard part is that people have different opinions on what MotM actually means - score a 90th minute winner? Score 3 goals but squander 5 and loose heaps of possession (JMAC in some games). Not loosing possession? Single action or judged by a 90minute overal performance. Some people vote because a player just improved over all since the week before. All these metrics out there and we will never agree on how to vote.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

Congratulations to Connor. Had a fantastic season. If the big shot insider that is (now) @Embee gets a chance perhaps he would like to pass this news on to the man himself.

Personally I think it'd be nice to maybe do that in person with Connor during the pre-season, if yourself or anyone on here is keen to present on behalf of the forum.

EDIT: I see @neio has run this, perhaps he'd like to present it

Edited by Embee
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, neio said:

So the votes have been counted and we have a winner of the Forum Player Of The Season.... CONNOR METCALFE 

Thank you to everyone who voted during season, I understand this system is not absolutely perfect, as there is a couple of anomalies in this year cite, like how few Maclaren got. If anyone has an idea how to make it better for next season I'm all ears 

@neio The only issue I have with the current system is that it is, for the individual voter, an "all-or-nothing" system. I vote only on matches that I actually go to, and I often find myself forced to choose one player when there are several whom I think are worthy. These things are always more work than they appear, so I hesitate to suggest something different, and probably it's too complicated and/or there's some flaw in it that I haven't realised.

What about giving each voter 3 votes per match that they can allocate as they wish? All 3 to one player, or 2 and 1 to their two best, or indeed 1-1-1? The Grand Final being an example where, for me, I would have allocated votes1-1-1 to Atkinson, Tilio and Cola.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@neio The only issue I have with the current system is that it is, for the individual voter, an "all-or-nothing" system. I vote only on matches that I actually go to, and I often find myself forced to choose one player when there are several whom I think are worthy. These things are always more work than they appear, so I hesitate to suggest something different, and probably it's too complicated and/or there's some flaw in it that I haven't realised.

What about giving each voter 3 votes per match that they can allocate as they wish? All 3 to one player, or 2 and 1 to their two best, or indeed 1-1-1? The Grand Final being an example where, for me, I would have allocated votes1-1-1 to Atkinson, Tilio and Cola.

@neio Also it is not necessary to use all three votes if you don't want to. So, for example, if we have a really shit match you could allocate just one or two votes to players who were the best of a bad bunch on the day. Or just one.

Just ideas that's all. I don't think it's as onerous as it first sounds. You would just have a spreadsheet with all the players across the x-axis and the number of matches down the y-axis and allocate the votes as they come in.

• Like 2

• malloy unpinned this topic