Melbourne Football

Liam Miller

Cityscape

rather surprised to hear the club is out of cap space.  discounting Miller out of the squad for replacement purposes, Marino and Melling for youth contracts and we only have 21.  

surely the likes of Germano, Hoffman, Chapman, Velaphi and Brown,  can't be on that much.  Archibald, Mauk, Garruccio, Retre (last two might even be considered youth players contract wise) are all younger players so wouldn't be commanding heaps.  overall they each might not be so cheap as the minimum wage, but surely wouldnt be that much across at least 9 players.

fair screw up otherwise though if true

I'd say they've over done it on a Duff, Mooy and Paartalu left us short for this season. However, next year when we clear the majority of the dead wood should allow us to bring in a few more quality players to fill in the obvious gaps in the squad. Everything about this season seems to be pointing towards us building for next season not this year. Will need a quality player to replace Duff, gk and an entire new back line. Will be the difference in us moving forward. If we start something like this next year with the right signings made we will be able to compete for trophies.

New GK

Hoffman Patty K new cb new lb

Paartalu

Mooy Koren

Mate Kennedy. New LW

Subs

Redmayne Melling Williams Garruccio Chapman

Provided those three outfield positions that need filling are quality internationals I think we will have a genuine shot at the title. Most of the new signings have looked good. It's the old brigade letting us down.

rather surprised to hear the club is out of cap space.  discounting Miller out of the squad for replacement purposes, Marino and Melling for youth contracts and we only have 21.  

surely the likes of Germano, Hoffman, Chapman, Velaphi and Brown,  can't be on that much.  Archibald, Mauk, Garruccio, Retre (last two might even be considered youth players contract wise) are all younger players so wouldn't be commanding heaps.  overall they each might not be so cheap as the minimum wage, but surely wouldnt be that much across at least 9 players.

fair screw up otherwise though if true

I want to do something unusual here and defend the team recruitment strategy in this instance. Last season we had a list that was way below what was required to produce a balanced capable first XI, and had poor depth and so no competition for spaces. Bad performances resulted in repeated selection. IMHO virtually 75% of the list needed to be cleared out. In a salary capped league that can only be done in 1 season if were were replacing like for like quality wise or at best with an incremental improvement in ability. The 2 options are to do this and replace the list often, improving incrementally each year or to buy half a quality list up to the value of the cap in the first season and them replace the rest in the second season (by front loading the payments into season 1 of a contract). I think that the second course will produce better results in a shorter time period and I think that this is the way that we have gone. I'd expect this season to be a transitional year, next season we would have high expectations. 

There are risks of each option of course, replace the whole list and you are virtually starting again with no guarantee of success, replace the list slower and you risk infecting the new players with aspirational mediocrity.

Liam Miller to stay at Melbourne City until New Year as injury replacement for Jonatan Germano

Matt Windley

November 19, 2014

MELBOURNE City will keep midfielder Liam Miller until the end of next month.

Miller was signed last week on a short-term national team replacement player deal and was one of City’s best in the 2-2 draw with Central Coast Mariners last weekend.

But the Herald Sun can reveal the Irishman has now been signed as an injury replacement for Jonatan Germano, who faces more time on the sidelines with ongoing soft tissue complaints.

Miller parted company with Brisbane Roar by mutual consent last month.

The one-time Manchester United player returned to Brisbane to see his family on Tuesday, but was back training with teammates at La Trobe University on Wednesday morning.

He will likely start Saturday night’s game against Sydney FC in midfield alongside Aaron Mooy, who was a late substitute in the Socceroos 2-1 loss to Japan on Tuesday night.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/liam-miller-to-stay-at-melbourne-city-until-new-year-as-injury-replacement-for-jonatan-germano/story-fnk6pqha-1227128880475?nk=a0180c6a9f43e38604e1330e72785733

I can also presume from this signing that the club does not believe that it has a defensive problem nor a LB problem. Furthermore, it has enough depth to cover the loss, due to injury or suspension, of any of the starting defensive players. Finally, that all problems stem from the middle of the park and if we get enough players there the team can control and win games.

I can also presume from this signing that the club does not believe that it has a defensive problem nor a LB problem. Furthermore, it has enough depth to cover the loss, due to injury or suspension, of any of the starting defensive players. Finally, that all problems stem from the middle of the park and if we get enough players there the team can control and win games.

Not necessarily so. Injury-replacements are outside the salary cap. What we appear to have done is stuff up our management of the cap itself, and that is what is preventing us signing the extra players we need at the back. Quite what JD and JvS though they were doing is beyond many of us, but nevertheless they still seem to have their loyal supporters out there...

I would have thought that the door is still not quite shut on a defensive reinforcement, with Connor Chapman still out with glandular fever...I can't see why we cannot get an injury replacement to cover his absence as well. Or is long-term sickness such as glandular fever not considered an "injury"?

I also think that if JvS would get off his "high-press" high horse for half a season we could do better at the back. Bring in Archibald as a CB and move Wielaert to LB would be OK as long as Wielaert sat a bit deeper.

Bring in Archibald as a CB and move Wielaert to LB would be OK as long as Wielaert sat a bit deeper.

i agree with Archibald.  This kid may be lost to another club if we dont play him.  I personally believe Archibald will be a star defender. He has height and grunt. And you got to love anybody with enough guts to kiss Villa after he scores.

I just dont know if Wielaert is capable of playing LB. He must be the slowest player in the a-league. Wielaer appears to be a recruitment mistake from Aloisi and JD.

But back on topic - I am happy with Miller if he provides cover for an injured player.  I just don't know why we persist using a visa spot on Germano.  

Just cut him.

Bring in Archibald as a CB and move Wielaert to LB would be OK as long as Wielaert sat a bit deeper.

i agree with Archibald.  This kid may be lost to another club if we dont play him.  I personally believe Archibald will be a star defender. He has height and grunt. And you got to love anybody with enough guts to kiss Villa after he scores.

I just dont know if Wielaert is capable of playing LB. He must be the slowest player in the a-league. Wielaer appears to be a recruitment mistake from Aloisi and JD.

But back on topic - I am happy with Miller if he provides cover for an injured player.  I just don't know why we persist using a visa spot on Germano.  

Just cut him.

If you cut him his wages will count towards the cap anyway, leaving you a player short and no better off financially.

He's of more use playing one game every three months than never playing at all and still being counted towards the cap. 

• Like 3

Just cut him.

If you cut him his wages will count towards the cap anyway, leaving you a player short and no better off financially.

He's of more use playing one game every three months than never playing at all and still being counted towards the cap.

Surely this guy has gotten his PR by now and is already in line at Centerlink for some middle class welfare? May be worth keeping if he isn't a visa player (still probably not if he is always injured).

Just cut him.

Surely this guy has gotten his PR by now and is already in line at Centerlink for some middle class welfare? May be worth keeping if he isn't a visa player (still probably not if he is always injured).

Pretty sure he's elidgable at the end of this season if he isn't already.

On ability alone he's definitely worth it if he's classified as an AU player but if he's barely ever playing it's probably still not worth the money and squad spot, unless he takes a ridiculously small contract.

Germano can't be retained. Surely.

Well if he is, we will have the ultimate confirmation that no-one associated with the management of our club is serious about it.

I'm sure he's a lovely bloke, and we want to do the best by him. Terminating someone is rarely easy or pleasant. If we care for him that much we'll find a place for him in our organization, perhaps scouting, perhaps admin, perhaps community. But it just doesn't make sense to have him on the playing roster, whatever his nationality qualification.

Not necessarily so. Injury-replacements are outside the salary cap.

It is my understanding that whilst injury-replacement players are outside the cap, they must effectively be 'like for like'. Meaning that a club can't bring in an extra Visa player if an Australian player is injured. Also, wages must be comparable (if not the same), meaning that an international marquee couldn't come in as an injury replacement player for Germano.

Germano's wages are not likely to be high, given that he was on minimum wages in his previous contract. So Liam Miller is probably on low wages as the injury replacement player signed through till the end of December.

On not signing a LB, I would say it is very presumptuous to assume that the club doesn't think it has a LB problem (if only because Ramsay was dropped after 3 games, and 2 players, Germano and Garuccio, were then played at LB). Also it is being presumptuous to believe that the club thinks everything is rosy with the defence.

Moreover, as the club said when Koren was injured, the problem with bringing in an injury replacement from overseas for 5 weeks is they'll need a few weeks to adjust and settle in the A-League, meaning by the time they come good they only put in 2 or so good performances (and then there's the question of what sort of players are free agents in the middle of the season, and are pre-pared to travel to Australia to play for low wages for only 5 or so weeks).

The club said Miller was an 'opportunistic' signing. We signed a handy midfielder like him, who's proven in the A-League, because he suddenly became available, was fit and our team was missing 5 midfielders.

If a handy LB was made available, and had a situation comparable to Miller, I reckon the club would have brought him in. But there are no decent A-League proven LBs available right now.

So given the above, the signing of Miller makes a lot of sense. He's a very tidy ball playing midfielder, who can make the team competitive for places again (and probably push Retre and Murdocca out of the team), and I'm tipping a midfield of him, Mooy and Paartalu to impress.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

Not necessarily so. Injury-replacements are outside the salary cap. What we appear to have done is stuff up our management of the cap itself, and that is what is preventing us signing the extra players we need at the back. Quite what JD and JvS though they were doing is beyond many of us, but nevertheless they still seem to have their loyal supporters out there...

I would have thought that the door is still not quite shut on a defensive reinforcement, with Connor Chapman still out with glandular fever...I can't see why we cannot get an injury replacement to cover his absence as well. Or is long-term sickness such as glandular fever not considered an "injury"?

I also think that if JvS would get off his "high-press" high horse for half a season we could do better at the back. Bring in Archibald as a CB and move Wielaert to LB would be OK as long as Wielaert sat a bit deeper. Hasn't this cap issue just been caused by paartalu coming available all of a sudden, late in our list development, and the club using basically everything they had left because they knew how important it was to bring in a quality defensive midfielder? Such players don't come available too often so I understand why they took that step. It has caused issues but it also helps us build for the long term with his 4 year contract.

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

Not necessarily so. Injury-replacements are outside the salary cap.

It is my understanding that whilst injury-replacement players are outside the cap, they must effectively be 'like for like'. Meaning that a club can't bring in an extra Visa player if an Australian player is injured. Also, wages must be comparable (if not the same), meaning that an international marquee couldn't come in as an injury replacement player for Germano.

Germano's wages are not likely to be high, given that he was on minimum wages in his previous contract. So Liam Miller is probably on low wages as the injury replacement player signed through till the end of December.

On not signing a LB, I would say it is very presumptuous to assume that the club doesn't think it has a LB problem (if only because Ramsay was dropped after 3 games, and 2 players, Germano and Garuccio, were then played at LB). Also it is being presumptuous to believe that the club thinks everything is rosy with the defence.

Moreover, as the club said when Koren was injured, the problem with bringing in an injury replacement from overseas for 5 weeks is they'll need a few weeks to adjust and settle in the A-League, meaning by the time they come good they only put in 2 or so good performances (and then there's the question of what sort of players are free agents in the middle of the season, and are pre-pared to travel to Australia to play for low wages for only 5 or so weeks).

The club said Miller was an 'opportunistic' signing. We signed a handy midfielder like him, who's proven in the A-League, because he suddenly became available, was fit and our team was missing 5 midfielders.

If a handy LB was made available, and had a situation comparable to Miller, I reckon the club would have brought him in. But there are no decent A-League proven LBs available right now.

So given the above, the signing of Miller makes a lot of sense. He's a very tidy ball playing midfielder, who can make the team competitive for places again (and probably push Retre and Murdocca out of the team), and I'm tipping a midfield of him, Mooy and Paartalu to impress.

My original post stemmed from an article in The Age that claimed that Jason Davidson wanted a loan deal so that he could get first team game time and be selectable for the Asian Cup. So here we have an Australian national who is a LB wanting a loan. Interestingly Germano is listed as mid-fielder yet is expected to play defense. Another interesting observation is that the club has only listed four defenders: Kirsnorbo, Wieleart, Hofman and Chapman (so much for depth in defense). So the issue of like for like could be a real stumbling block as well as sorting out the salary. As far as the length of a loan deal it could just as easily be for the remainder of the season, the salary issue could also be sorted out.

BTW I did start my post with the word presume.

I also think that if JvS would get off his "high-press" high horse for half a season we could do better at the back. Bring in Archibald as a CB and move Wielaert to LB would be OK as long as Wielaert sat a bit deeper. Hasn't this cap issue just been caused by paartalu coming available all of a sudden, late in our list development, and the club using basically everything they had left because they knew how important it was to bring in a quality defensive midfielder? Such players don't come available too often so I understand why they took that step. It has caused issues but it also helps us build for the long term with his 4 year contract.

Correct. And the right call long term too I might add, assuming Paartalu is the player we all think he will be.

MELBOURNE CITY SIGNS MILLER UNTIL END OF 2014

Melbourne City confirmed that it has signed Liam Miller as an Injury Replacement Player for the remainder of 2014.

Miller, 33, debuted for the club and played 90 minutes in City's 2-2 draw with the Central Coast Mariners on Sunday on a National Team Replacement Player contract.

He has now signed on as an Injury Replacement Player for Argentine midfielder Jonatan Germano (hamstring), who has been placed on the long-term injury list.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/11/21/melbourne-city-signs-miller-until-end-2014

Melbourne City confirmed that it has signed Liam Miller as an Injury Replacement Player for the remainder of 2014.

Miller, 33, debuted for the club and played 90 minutes in City's 2-2 draw with the Central Coast Mariners on Sunday on a National Team Replacement Player contract.

He has now signed on as an Injury Replacement Player for Argentine midfielder Jonatan Germano (hamstring), who has been placed on the long-term injury list.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/11/21/melbourne-city-signs-miller-until-end-2014

Paartalu-Miller-Mooy

Duff-Williams-Duganzic

Everything sounds sweeter on paper.

Paartalu-Miller-Mooy

Duff-Williams-Duganzic

shame we play on grass then :(

Paartalu-Miller-Mooy

Duff-Williams-Duganzic

shame we play on grass then :(

I feel at times our players are allergic to grass especially the defensive end

Paartalu-Miller-Mooy

Duff-Williams-Duganzic

shame we play on grass then :( I feel at times our players are allergic to grass especially the defensive end Can confirm pigs and I are not allergic to grass