Melbourne Football

Our Next Goalkeeper

Shahanga

no way is Redmayne going to be first choice for us

It's imperative to offload him

Well yeah, but from his point of view why would he walk out the door with nothing. He has a contract. The next problem is who on earth would take him off our hands?

This is where CFG should start flexing their muscle and use their contacts to convince him to move elsewhere perhaps Mexico or something as far away as possible from Melbourne City

no way is Redmayne going to be first choice for us

It's imperative to offload him

Well yeah, but from his point of view why would he walk out the door with nothing. He has a contract. The next problem is who on earth would take him off our hands?

This is where CFG should start flexing their muscle and use their contacts to convince him to move elsewhere perhaps Mexico or something as far away as possible from Melbourne City

What's wrong with Manchester City taking Redmayne off our hands, honouring his contract and loaning him out to a Conference team?

Covic, the guy singlehandedly won an ACL for western Sydney less than 12 months ago and is an absolute beast. Imagine him and kisnorbo at the back, no one is getting off easily.

Actually it was the ref that single handedly won the ACL for WSW. Covic would have been seen in a different light had any other ref been in control of the game. And his performances have taken a nose dive since he wasn't chosen for the NT.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

Covic, the guy singlehandedly won an ACL for western Sydney less than 12 months ago and is an absolute beast. Imagine him and kisnorbo at the back, no one is getting off easily.

Actually it was the ref that single handedly won the ACL for WSW. Covic would have been seen in a different light had any other ref been in control of the game. And his performances have taken a nose dive since he wasn't chosen for the NT.

He's also about 1000 years old

• Like 1

He still made some extremely important saves which not many keepers in this league would have managed. I get the age component but who would you suggest we realistically get? Goalkeeping coach extremely important, have to get that right too.

• 3 weeks later...

Velaphi is good enough and cheap, signing a different number 1 keeper is a waste of cap space.

Totally disagree. 2 most important positions in a team is the keeper and striker. Get them right and most the hard work is done. (last years championship winning side was the exception and not the rule imo).

Velaphi is good enough and cheap, signing a different number 1 keeper is a waste of cap space.

Totally disagree. 2 most important positions in a team is the keeper and striker. Get them right and most the hard work is done. (last years championship winning side was the exception and not the rule imo).

It could work, but this could also backfire as you are essentially losing a visa playing that is directly involve with the play. Personally I'd rather sign a gun centre back visa player. That way I'd have the visa player, kosnorbo and chapman fighting for their positions. If things stay as they are I'm still of the opinion that we will have some holes in our defence with a Kisnorbo/Chapman combination.

Goalkeeper is the least important position TBH, and the fact that they have the lowest transfer fees of any position is evidence that I'm not the only one who thinks that's the case.

Thing is if there was some sort of issue with Tando then there may be reason to look elsewhere. But there isn't and he was one of the top keepers in the league. I don't understand why there's need to take a visa spot and probably a very expensive chunk out of the cap for a position that we don't need.

Edited by n i k o

Goalkeeper is the least important position TBH, and the fact that they have the lowest transfer fees of any position is evidence that I'm not the only one who thinks that's the case.

The importance of a goal keeper depends on how good the team is. In a terrible team its very important in a great team its not that important.

If you're good, you deny your opponents scoring opportunities. Less opportunities= less goals. Also you then score a number of goals to nullify any goals that do go through. 

Is exactly what I was saying today.

Pretty silly to waste a VISA spot and a good chunk of the cap on a Goalkeeper when we already have an imaginably cheap Australian who was one of the best keepers in the league last season.

Take that money and VISA spot and buy a CB that will force Kisnorbo and Chapman to compete for the other CB spot.

• Like 1

If you look back at any title winning team, the goal keeper 9/10 times is well above average and expirenced.

We need this new keeper and have been missing one since Boltons second year, when his legs started giving way.

Sorry but Tando can't give us a title, if he could he'd still be at any of his last two clubs. I hope he accepts being number two because he would be a great back up.

• Like 1

If you look back at any title winning team, the goal keeper 9/10 times is well above average and expirenced.

We need this new keeper and have been missing one since Boltons second year, when his legs started giving way.

Sorry but Tando can't give us a title, if he could he'd still be at any of his last two clubs. I hope he accepts being number two because he would be a great back up.

Tando > Lawerence Thomas

• Like 2