Melbourne Football

MVFC v MCFC - The Derby! R3

Baka1

Man city flags, shirts and songs does not constitute support for our club however. In fact they are not fans at all in my book and shouldn't be there

well they may be fans but aren't fans of our team. They are fans of colonisation.

Our team? This is such a shit attitude to have. If they come to our games and then become fans of Melbourne city because of it then that s great and they should be welcome. 

• Like 2

James Brown should've started over Mate last night. I really like Mate, but fmd, the bloke was constantly going 1 on 1 against blokes double his size last night. At least brown has a bit of size.

Not to mention brown knows how to spoil a marking attempt with a decent hip & shoulder
  • Like 4

Still too many fuck sticks in active not singing. I don't give a shit if you're here with your ugly money draining missus gtfo or sing u scrubcake. Bag of dicks

And how the fuck did victory fans get tickets in OUR active bay.

Shit ticketing system.

IMO to buy active tickets at an away game you should have to enter the barcode on your club membership.

Agree, was never asked for my active membership barcode when I bought my ticket. Should be a mandatory requirement.

James Brown should've started over Mate last night. I really like Mate, but fmd, the bloke was constantly going 1 on 1 against blokes double his size last night.  At least brown has a bit of size.

No.  Brown was out of depth when he came on.

The issue with a front 3 of Villa, Mate and Duff is none of them are physically imposing and none are strong in the air.  Now, that shouldn't really be a problem, as they have lots of other strengths, but if you are going to mindless lump it through the air to them, well you are just wasting your time.  With a skillful quick front 3 you need to play with fast ball movement.

If it was our tactic to play long in the 2nd half then we had to put Kisnorbo up there to knock it down to Villa and Duff, seeing as we didn't, I'm pretty confident those pointless long balls weren't the coach's idea.  We went behind and we seemed to panic.  It was like the team was channelling Aloisi.

Fold the club pls

David Villa, fuck off

Ramsay, fuck off

JVS, fuck off

Archie, fuck off 

Berisha, fuck off (but well played)

And also, fuck off to those little shits in active deliberately breaking seats at the end of the game. I know a few seats in the row I was in broke because of people standing on them which is fair enough considering it was the only way to see any of the game as everyone in the front rows was already doing it from kick-off.

On the topic of active, it was pretty good last night for the first half anyway (especially with the Lvl 3 back and forth, that sounded great at times). Second half was very weak though, and I thought it was particularly ironic that the only chant we sung loudly in the second half was "you only sing when you're winning". Then what the fuck do we do? As much as I despise them, their active support is a million times better than ours which is really disheartening. 

Most disappointing game I've been to, absolutely devastated.

Fold the club pls

David Villa, fuck off

Ramsay, fuck off

JVS, fuck off

Archie, fuck off 

Berisha, fuck off (but well played)

And also, fuck off to those little shits in active deliberately breaking seats at the end of the game. I know a few seats in the row I was in broke because of people standing on them which is fair enough considering it was the only way to see any of the game as everyone in the front rows was already doing it from kick-off.

On the topic of active, it was pretty good last night for the first half anyway (especially with the Lvl 3 back and forth, that sounded great at times). Second half was very weak though, and I thought it was particularly ironic that the only chant we sung loudly in the second half was "you only sing when you're winning". Then what the fuck do we do? As much as I despise them, their active support is a million times better than ours which is really disheartening. 

Most disappointing game I've been to, absolutely devastated.

NT and the rest of those flogs have been around for 10 years, we started in 6 months its going to take time, organisation, strong will to push through and most of all dedication to see things through, not to mention respecting the capo and his authority on game days.

I disheartening I agree that we as an active didnt do enough in the 2nd half and I think I am with ya that more should of been done.....I was one of those on the far end that was chanting my ass off with trying to get everyone else singing even though it was to no avail.

Things take time, it will get there....the positives are there but it will take time. I do love how we were chanting with level 3 and our away bay as well that was brilliant, heard NT was impressed with that according to many victory NT mates of mine.

James Brown should've started over Mate last night. I really like Mate, but fmd, the bloke was constantly going 1 on 1 against blokes double his size last night.  At least brown has a bit of size.

No.  Brown was out of depth when he came on.

He at least got some touches in the game compared to Mate who did nothing when he was on. Between those two you would've thought Brown would've got the nod.

Imagine if City played 90 minutes last night, we would have won. The Berisha goal at the end of the first half just completely killed the team, second half was a disgrace. But the pressure and some of the chances created in the first half were great. 

In terms of all the talk going on about the active area being quite, when I watched the replay this morning, I could hear some chants during the first half. Second half, not so much. 

Manchester City fans can get the fuck out.

Really not the way we should be reacting to anyone showing up to our games who's willing to support us with the way we're going at the moment.

Really don't see the problem? More fans the better IMO

Re the City fans at the game the Brisbane Man City supporters were in town with the Melbourne Man City supporters they were off to watch their game after the match last night so that's why they had flags etc , as said before we cannot afford to turn supporters away

Thought they were supporting Manchester City, sorry didn't realise they were there to support us.. They certainly left early to go watch their match last night. The less plastics the better to be honest. Really don't understand the "cant afford to" part..

Really not the way we should be reacting to anyone showing up to our games who's willing to support us with the way we're going at the moment.

Re the City fans at the game the Brisbane Man City supporters were in town with the Melbourne Man City supporters they were off to watch their game after the match last night so that's why they had flags etc , as said before we cannot afford to turn supporters away

Thought they were supporting Manchester City, sorry didn't realise they were there to support us.. They certainly left early to go watch their match last night. The less plastics the better to be honest. Really don't understand the "cant afford to" part..

Most (hopefully all?) are glad to see new people at the game- got to start somewhere and Eurosnobs are the big untapped market.

As I interpreted it the issue was this mob was in active?  It would be frustrating for you hard working active members to have people who aren't Melbourne supporters in with you.  If you are a neutral you should just be in the stands and have enough decency and respect to realise that.

Most (hopefully all?) are glad to see new people at the game- got to start somewhere and Eurosnobs are the big untapped market.

As I interpreted it the issue was this mob was in active?  It would be frustrating for you hard working active members to have people who aren't Melbourne supporters in with you.  If you are a neutral you should just be in the stands and have enough decency and respect to realise that.

English football has little active support as such, no wonder they don't understand it. we want to find a way to attract Dortmund supporters

City rethink needed with defence looming as big issue

October 26, 2014

Michael Lynch

Melbourne City coach John Van't Schip is hoping the club can announce a big-name signing in the next few weeks, with Australian stars like Tim Cahill, Mark Bresciano and Josh Kennedy some of the names that have been bandied around.

But the Dutchman might be better employed forgetting about more glitzy attacking players and focusing instead on strengthening a leaky rearguard that was brutally exposed by Melbourne Victory on Saturday night as the navy blues stormed over the top of City to win the first derby of the season 5-2.

Much has been made - rightly - about the attacking prowess City possesses, even though the coach has been unlucky that one of his key signings, Slovenian international midfielder Robert Koren, has been injured and unavailable all season.

But those who rushed to back the A-League's newest glamour club into pre-season favouritism for the title before a ball was kicked might now be ruing their confidence a little.

Yes, goals do win teams games. But defences win clubs championships.

And what has tended to be overlooked in the evaluation of City is that Van't Schip has gone into the new season with four of the five players who played in his defence last campaign - when the club finished bottom of the league.

Goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne, right back Jason Hoffman, new captain Patrick Kisnorbo and Robbie Wielaert in the heart of defence were all regulars last year when the team didn't win for virtually half a season and conceded 42 goals in 27 games. 

Of this year's defence only Iain Ramsay, who has been converted into a left back this season having spent his entire career to this point as a left winger or left midfielder, is new.

To be fair to Van't Schip he has had to struggle with injury concerns at the back and so there is little or no pressure for their places being brought to bear on the present incumbents.

Connor Chapman, a young centre back signed from Newcastle, contracted glandular fever and missed the whole pre-season. Youngster Ben Garuccio and, crucially, Argentinian utility Jonatan Germano have been injured..

Van't Schip did not spare his rearguard in the post-match press conference, saying his defence was at fault, particularly in the way it was caught cold at the start of the second half when Besart Berisha  scored Victory's third goal within seconds of the restart.

Where City was undone in the derby was down the flanks, especially the left side. On two occasions Kosta Barbarouses wreaked havoc as he ran at Ramsay - and others - to set up goals for Archie Thompson and Berisha.

Hoffman, the right back, is another who is learning the trade as a defender having spent much of his career as a striker. He is often targeted by teams probing for weaknesses.

Redmayne has had almost two seasons as City's number one but has never looked fully assured nor dominant in his goal. Tando Velaphi is on the sidelines but the ex-Victory and Perth Glory keeper has yet to force his way past Redmayne.

"At 3-2, the boys didn't recover from that and that's something that we should analyse and talk about because you have to be mentally strong," Van't Schip said.

"You have to be concentrated and know what you're doing. After the half-time break we were just not there."

Perhaps it was just an off day. After all, the fourth goal came from a stupidly conceded penalty by James Brown, and City was chasing the game when Archie Thompson broke free to score his second and Victory's fifth.

Van't Schip's side is not far off it, as it showed in the first half when it played some fast, fluid football and had by far the better of the contest, going ahead twice only to be undone by some slipshod defending.

Maybe the business with David Villa leaving for a break after the Adelaide game next Friday night, with no certainty that he will return to complete his 10-game guest stint, has unsettled the group more than anyone thought.

What can't be argued is that City has not played a full 90 minutes all season. In its first game it dominated Sydney but did not take its chances, fell behind and had to settle for a 1-1 draw.

In its second it did the same to Newcastle, went behind and then only levelled four minutes from time, Villa the scorer on both occasions.

And on Saturday it was the better team in the first half but once more could not make its superiority count.

"In the first half we showed again that we can play good but it's 90 minutes a game," he said. "We should analyse why ... we played three good first halves, the second halves are a big part of a game.

"More important because in the second half, games get decided. It's something we must improve."

If it does there is no reason it cannot beat Adelaide next Friday night. But if it continues to concede  soft goals and play for only half a game, it will certainly disappoint those who unloaded on it as title favourite before a ball was kicked.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/city-rethink-needed-with-defence-looming-as-big-issue-20141026-11c16t.html

Just finished watching the replay and haven't read any forum comments yet.

Pro's

- Hoff scoring

- Robbie scoring

- Mooy's deadballs.

- Good turn out from our supporters, fairly loud all game.

- Someone throwing a bottle at Ramsay.

Cons

- Iain Ramsay

- The capitulation in the second half.

- The inability to hold possession and dictate the game.

- Every single flare in Victoria being used in the NT.

- Little change in tactics despite being down by a couple goals.

- James Brown wtf were you thinking.

- David Villa's headspace, clearly already thinking about all the cringe worthy PR work he'll be doing in NYC, he looked very uninterested and lackluster. 

- With 20 mins to go players just had accepted the result and were going through the motions.

Just finished watching the replay and haven't read any forum comments yet.

Pro's

- Hoff scoring

- Robbie scoring

- Mooy's deadballs.

- Good turn out from our supporters, fairly loud all game.

- Someone throwing a bottle at Ramsay.

Cons

- Iain Ramsay

- The capitulation in the second half.

- The inability to hold possession and dictate the game.

- Every single flare in Victoria being used in the NT.

- Little change in tactics despite being down by a couple goals.

- James Brown wtf were you thinking.

- David Villa's headspace, clearly already thinking about all the cringe worthy PR work he'll be doing in NYC, he looked very uninterested and lackluster. 

- With 20 mins to go players just had accepted the result and were going through the motions.

Oh, the irony. 

As I interpreted it the issue was this mob was in active?  It would be frustrating for you hard working active members to have people who aren't Melbourne supporters in with you.  If you are a neutral you should just be in the stands and have enough decency and respect to realise that. I'm all for new supporters coming through the gates to support us. If they are die hard man city then yes chances are they will associate us with them after all they own us. I thought it was great to see banners up the top and have some voice and noise up there

• Like 1

"We should analyse why ... we played three good first halves, the second halves are a big part of a game."

What's here to analyse?  The players go at at 100 km/hr in the beginning and run out of steam at 55-60 minutes.  Then they cop a goal against the run of the play, their heads bow, they lack the physical energy to keep going

Really can't comprehend the criticism towards Paartalu, I mean he's playing as an out an out anchor and has shielded our defence that well. I don't think I've seen Kisnorbo or Weilart be run directly on and every single goal (except Brown's Penalty) we've copped as been from the wings, without him actually staying back and holding up opposition midfielders we'd be lucky to have the 2 points we currently posses.

And to compare him to Kalmar and Retre is useless, they are both far more attacking players, we really don't have another player to play Paartalu's role.

I 'm not so sure

their first goal was his mistake

he was ball watching and allowed Finkler to get in behind him, whose shot then fell for Thompson

Also some piss poor defending on Berisha at the start of the second half when Berisha scored

on the whole, we were out played, as simple as that

having been at the game, still cant believe the way the team capitulated in the second half.  two sleeps later and still dont feel any better about the shit in the second half.

what shits me the most with our defense isnt actually Ramsey himself but the fact the club hasnt done much to rectify the situation at either fullback position.  something needs to change, but in many ways he is not responsible for where the coach decides to play him - he can only make himself available.

didnt think Hoffman was much better than Ramsey on Saturday but for the goal.  but i wont digress too far into whose better, not really the point.

when i look at West Sydney, i cant help but see that when they started out, BOTH starting fullbacks were VISA players.

given the way that West Sydney went about recruiting "has been's / never will be's" and turning them into a very good side, it says a lot about the need to recruit properly.

and the fact they had to go overseas for both fullbacks makes our club look like a fucking disgrace for the fact that time and again we push ill suited players into these spots.

Hoffman's has had 4.5 years and still struggles.

Ramsey is mid 20s and hasnt looked like picking it up (at least Behich was young enough to grow into it).

club needs to pull its head out of the sand.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

having been at the game, still cant believe the way the team capitulated in the second half.  two sleeps later and still dont feel any better about the shit in the second half.

what shits me the most with our defense isnt actually Ramsey himself but the fact the club hasnt done much to rectify the situation at either fullback position.  something needs to change, but in many ways he is not responsible for where the coach decides to play him - he can only make himself available.

didnt think Hoffman was much better than Ramsey on Saturday but for the goal.  but i wont digress too far into whose better, not really the point.

when i look at West Sydney, i cant help but see that when they started out, BOTH starting fullbacks were VISA players.

given the way that West Sydney went about recruiting "has been's / never will be's" and turning them into a very good side, it says a lot about the need to recruit properly.

and the fact they had to go overseas for both fullbacks makes our club look like a fucking disgrace for the fact that time and again we push ill suited players into these spots.

Hoffman's has had 4.5 years and still struggles.

Ramsey is mid 20s and hasnt looked like picking it up (at least Behich was young enough to grow into it).

club needs to pull its head out of the sand.

I didn't think you'll be able to give such a clear appraisal considering the amount of Amber liquid you consumed before the kickoff.

Well done :)