Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

29 minutes ago, Jake said:

He's a laid back individual, he can't change that. He does good things. With good players we're winning. Not much to complain about in my view.

Also worth considering who we could replace with. There are not that many rock stars going around that are interested in a salary capped environment, I assume.

Yes he does some good things but not enough to keep his job

48 minutes ago, tommac said:

To add some balance to this thread... Today, we were very average and lacking any real verve in the first half. Second half, we were fantastic- energised, tenacious and played with a much higher tempo. Many are happy to criticise JVS for his laid back nature, but whatever was said at half time today worked a treat.

We were playing CCM ffs. We shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place at halftime. He probably said: we are playing wooden spooners, now don't embarrass yourselves.

• Like 2

To be fair the defending was pretty decent today: CCM only had 5 shots all game, and only 1 shot on target (which they happened to score):

346kp5y.jpg

By contrast Melbourne City had 21 shots, 12 on target and got 4 goals.

If a team only concedes that many chances per game--5 shots an 1 on target--that's actually pretty stellar. No team can shut another team out for 90 minutes. I'd say the defence has been slowly but steadily improving over recent weeks, and if the defence can stay the course--with our first class attack that's scored 50 goals over 20 games (average 2.5 per game)--then the team's in a good place. Of course tougher challenges for the defence will come, but I reckon the defence deserves a little credit for the performance today, and if Retre did the smart thing and professionally fouled Austin around the halfway line it would have been an A grade defensive performance today IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

To be fair the defending was pretty decent today: CCM only had 5 shots all game, and only 1 shot on target (which they happened to score):

346kp5y.jpg

By contrast Melbourne City had 21 shots, 12 on target and got 4 goals.

If a team only concedes that many chances per game--5 shots an 1 on target--that's actually pretty stellar. No team can shut another team out for 90 minutes. I'd say the defence has been slowly but steadily improving over recent weeks, and if the defence can stay the course--with our first class attack that's scored 50 goals over 20 games (average 2.5 per game)--then the team's in a good place. Of course tougher challenges for the defence will come, but I reckon the defence deserves a little credit for the performance today, and if Retre did the smart thing and professionally fouled Austin around the halfway line it would have been an A grade defensive performance today IMO.

The trouble is Murfy if Retre had fouled him he may have got a red card Even though he was quite far away from goal.

Our defence was helped by having a proper defensive midfielder in front of them who didn't want to go charging forward.

As for JVS, I don't believe he is the guy to takes us forward no matter how well we do this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

The trouble is Murfy if Retre had fouled him he may have got a red card Even though he was quite far away from goal.

Our defence was helped by having a proper defensive midfielder in front of them who didn't want to go charging forward.

As for JVS, I don't believe he is the guy to takes us forward no matter how well we do this season.

I would need to watch a full replay of that goal, but I recall Garuccio providing sufficient cover for Retre to prevent a direct path to goal redcard.

Nonetheless I fully agree that Malik gives a solid defensive presence to the team that effectively screens the back four. The addition of Malik and Wilkinson, together with Franjic and Zullo returning to full fitness, has made our defence much more capable. Really, with this defence the team should be able to seriously challenge for top honours.

To me, this game proves JVS has no idea how to get the team up and we are self-motivated.

Buggs Bunny could have told the team at half time that we needed to lift - down to the cellar dweller at home whilst 'fighting' for the title.

The job of the gaffer, sure is tactical, but 50% motivation and it is an utter constant under this bloke we turn up asleep. He just cant do it, and as a result the team picks and chooses when it wants to play.

• Like 1

Minimum that I'd accept now for him to keep his job is top two finish and a grand final appearance, or winning either trophy. If he wins both, I wouldn't hesitate to re-sign him.

Whether City have higher or lower expectations than that, I'm not sure, but anything lower than those marks would feel like a failure to me.

56 minutes ago, MXG said:

Watched Adelaide v Tards. The Reds are playing the similar type of football JVS endorses. It was achieved in less than a season by the guy with no financial and scout support from ManCity and with no English.

1. He inherited a solid squad from Gombau who was also at Barca

2. Isaias, Carrusca, Sanchez and Cirio are all native Spanish speakers. They also happen to be the engine upon which AU is built around.

Now in no way do I want JVS to continue next season unless we win the double. But these points need to be considered.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

2. Isaias, Carrusca, Sanchez and Cirio are all native Spanish speakers. They also happen to be the engine upon which AU is built around.

Now in no way do I want JVS to continue next season unless we win the double. But these points need to be considered.

Is it any coincidence that Popovic got himself a Spanish threesome in Alberto, Dimas and Andreu and now they're flying high.

18 hours ago, tommac said:

To add some balance to this thread... Today, we were very average and lacking any real verve in the first half. Second half, we were fantastic- energised, tenacious and played with a much higher tempo. Many are happy to criticise JVS for his laid back nature, but whatever was said at half time today worked a treat.

Maybe he shutup for a change.

On 22/2/2016 at 1:42 PM, NewConvert said:

I would accept it only if AdeU continued to play on the same level as they were playing at the end of the last season with Gombau. But they were worse, much worse at the start of the season. So it was a rebuilding of the team. Yes, some players were already there, some left AdeU, but how many new players have we brought this season? Surely, there were players available on the market capable to play Total Football straight away just not Barsa or Arsenal level. Imagine us having somebody like Guillermo Amor instead of JVS. So, no, no excuse.

1 hour ago, MXG said:

I would accept it only if AdeU continued to play on the same level as they were playing at the end of the last season with Gombau. But they were worse, much worse at the start of the season. So it was a rebuilding of the team. Yes, some players were already there, some left AdeU, but how many new players have we brought this season? Surely, there were players available on the market capable to play Total Football straight away just not Barsa or Arsenal level. Imagine us having somebody like Guillermo Amor instead of JVS. So, no, no excuse.

More likely it was the surprise resignation of Gombau in late July that was the reason for Adelaide's shaky start.

IIRC our pre-season recruiting to the senior squad was Sorensen, Franjic, Hughes, Zullo, Kuzi, Gameiro, Trifiro, Dekker and Fornaroli. Since then we've seen some pretty extraordinary changes in mid-season - Bouzanis, Malik, Wilkinson, Caceres and Fitzgerald coming into the squad and numerous departures. Add long-term injuries to Gameiro, Brown and Marino, and now Chapman, and it's been a topsy-turvy season for us.

2 hours ago, MXG said:

AU lost Paul Izzo (GK, now at CCM), Nigel Boogard (now at Jets), Osama Malik (mid season), Cameron Watson (jets), Awer Mabil, james Jeggo (mid season). Out of that list NB and AM were big losses at season's end, whilst Malik and Jeggo are the losses now.

Why were they worse, I don't know but I can only assume that Amor's game plan was vastly different or maybe his man management.

Whilst at city we did recruit but we recruited players that were injured and could not start - players such as Hughes and Gameiro.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

More likely it was the surprise resignation of Gombau in late July that was the reason for Adelaide's shaky start.

IIRC our pre-season recruiting to the senior squad was Sorensen, Franjic, Hughes, Zullo, Kuzi, Gameiro, Trifiro, Dekker and Fornaroli. Since then we've seen some pretty extraordinary changes in mid-season - Bouzanis, Malik, Wilkinson, Caceres and Fitzgerald coming into the squad and numerous departures. Add long-term injuries to Gameiro, Brown and Marino, and now Chapman, and it's been a topsy-turvy season for us.

48 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

AU lost Paul Izzo (GK, now at CCM), Nigel Boogard (now at Jets), Osama Malik (mid season), Cameron Watson (jets), Awer Mabil, james Jeggo (mid season). Out of that list NB and AM were big losses at season's end, whilst Malik and Jeggo are the losses now.

Why were they worse, I don't know but I can only assume that Amor's game plan was vastly different or maybe his man management.

Whilst at city we did recruit but we recruited players that were injured and could not start - players such as Hughes and Gameiro.

So this exactly proves that Gul. Amor did his job brilliantly and JVS definitely underachieved. AU is playing much more fluent than with Gambao and with Gambao they were the most watchable side in the league. JVS will probably get there and he's making progress no doubt, the only question is when. We recruited all kind of good players but without Harry against CCM we were not convincing in the first half when CCM were fresh. Remove Aaron or Bruno and we are done. CCM have a problem with the fitness - cannot maintain the level for at least 60 min. That was handy for us, just like the other week for the Tards.

12 minutes ago, MXG said:

So this exactly proves that Gul. Amor did his job brilliantly and JVS definitely underachieved. AU is playing much more fluent than with Gambao and with Gambao they were the most watchable side in the league. JVS will probably get there and he's making progress no doubt, the only question is when. We recruited all kind of good players but without Harry against CCM we were not convincing in the first half when CCM were fresh. Remove Aaron or Bruno and we are done. CCM have a problem with the fitness - cannot maintain the level for at least 60 min. That was handy for us, just like the other week for the Tards.

It certainly proves that Amor has done a great job.

But that is a huge assumption that CCM lack fitness. What's that based on? Our level of play improved considerably in the second half which allowed us to control the game. And if anything we should have been ahead at half time anyway.  

Remove Bruno or Aaron? If that's the case then remove Berisha or Barabrouses. Remove Castro or Keogh etc. Any team would be affected without one of their two best players. Your logic in this regard lacks, logic.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

It certainly proves that Amor has done a great job.

But that is a huge assumption that CCM lack fitness. What's that based on? Our level of play improved considerably in the second half which allowed us to control the game. And if anything we should have been ahead at half time anyway.  

Remove Bruno or Aaron? If that's the case then remove Berisha or Barabrouses. Remove Castro or Keogh etc. Any team would be affected without one of their two best players. Your logic in this regard lacks, logic.

Just look at some CCM results where gameplay presumes high preasure (Tards, Ade) - you will see the light. :) They are usually way better in the first half. Yes we started better the second half, yes it was adjustment in our defense, red card later on etc, but you could literally see how tired they were, especially attacking players. I do not take anything from our guys - they responded brilliantly.

Well, it was a defeat by Wellington that was the final straw for John Aloisi. IMO all we can hope for out of tonight is that it is the same for JvS. He just cannot get the team to perform with the necessary grit and intensity to win silverware. We've tried squad after squad, but the performances and the results are exactly the same, and he's the common factor.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, it was a defeat by Wellington that was the final straw for John Aloisi. IMO all we can hope for out of tonight is that it is the same for JvS. He just cannot get the team to perform with the necessary grit and intensity to win silverware. We've tried squad after squad, but the performances and the results are exactly the same, and he's the common factor.

We can only hope. Who puts caceres on the left wing. Does he stay up at night coming up with these shit ideas

10 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

wonder if a sacking now could create a kick up the arse we need? There is just no chance he doesnt get sacked. 

Having Brown AND marino on a 4 man bench in such an important game - what a gaffer!

More like there's just no chance he does get sacked. This close to the end of the season, he'll be here til the end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

You can't build a "team" by flip-flopping selection, experimenting every week and not letting players settle and gain confidence. Rule 101 of success - build a "team".  The injury excuse is gone.  If only JVS was. 

Ps. Beers and red wine not dulling the pain (or inhibiting opinion for that matter!!). 

Time enough.

Scotch. 

• Like 1