Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

I think it's something rare that a CEO would have a beer with members of the supporter group and should be applauded accordingly. But that has absolutely nothing to do with whether he does his job appropriately and how he runs the club.

Exactly this. Couldn't give two fucks if he brang me a slab right now, he doesn't know Football, end of.

Still feel that it's completely outrageous for him to be airing that sort of dirty laundry, personally. Even if it was true. And if the board going over his head with decisions like that is par for the course, he should have walked.

Seems to me that people are using the 'good bloke' explanation to defend him. That worked wonders for Mifsud and continues to work wonders for the likes of Redmayne.

Good gig he's got. Not responsible for any of the major decisions that have blown up in the club's face. Not his fault that there is a complete lack of transparency at the club for anything besides overwhelmingly positive news. Not his fault that this club has been by far the worst in the competition over the past three seasons. Not his fault that if the above is to be believed, the football department runs its own race and he has no control over what it does. Not his fault that he gets into juvenile Twitter wars with celebrity supporters of rival clubs that any other self-respecting CEO wouldn't touch with a 10m pole. Not his fault that existing and new members were misled about the availability of David Villa for the first half of the season and that a club statement didn't come out until after the press was all over it (and, not his fault that we still don't know whether Villa's playing any more games in Melbourne, so naturally, we just give up on the idea). And he still gets a CEO salary and gets to put 'Chief Executive Officer' of a major professional sporting club next to his LinkedIn profile. It's a joke.

I don't want him gone because of JVS and JA. I want him gone because this is my third year as a member, the club continues to be a rabble and there hasn't been a single instance that I can think of, where I've thought: 'Geez, that Scott Munn's running a tight ship. We're lucky to have him.' But, there's been a number of times where I've thought 'What a complete and utter muppet.' That's just me though.

I think you've summed it up perfectly.

Edited by rass

imagine the shareholders of the Commonwealth bank if told: The CEO is doing a good job, except our banking stuff!

LOL

If any of the above is true, we REALLY need an actual CEO to come in and understand how to create a organisation like this one, with a core business being Football.

Sounds like rubbish is being spouted, or the CEO and Board and probably half the staff need to go. It sounds like its not a fluke we are failing, the whole organisation is arse about.

If the CEO isnt ultimately responsible for those working under him at the club - he aint a CEO!

In this industry, his #1 target must always be on-field success thus the right blend and responsibilities in the football department with clearly defined communication channels. Everything else flows from that.

Depends if the CBA CEO took the time to have a beer with them and tell them that none of it was his fault and that he's furious with the board (but he won't leave).

Seems like the membership campaign this season is the jewel in his crown. Great. That means his salary can be halved, he can start manning the phones and we can get someone else in as CEO.

I think it's something rare that a CEO would have a beer with members of the supporter group and should be applauded accordingly. But that has absolutely nothing to do with whether he does his job appropriately and how he runs the club.

And, in fact, it could quite easily be seen by the cynical as (at least partly) a strategy to keep the most vocal supporters on his side.

Despite the platitudes, Heart folded. They are gone. This is is a different club.

But one good thing about being a new club owned by a billionaire with no interest in local growth is that the onus is on them to convince us to support it. We already had a poorly run club that we loved and they took it from us. So now they need to give us something in return. Starting with showing us they are serious about building something worth giving up our time for.

Exactly, why should we bother when there's no evidence that they bother?

imagine the shareholders of the Commonwealth bank if told: The CEO is doing a good job, except our banking stuff!

LOL

If any of the above is true, we REALLY need an actual CEO to come in and understand how to create a organisation like this one, with a core business being Football.

Sounds like rubbish is being spouted, or the CEO and Board and probably half the staff need to go. It sounds like its not a fluke we are failing, the whole organisation is arse about.

If the CEO isnt ultimately responsible for those working under him at the club - he aint a CEO!

In this industry, his #1 target must always be on-field success thus the right blend and responsibilities in the football department with clearly defined communication channels. Everything else flows from that.

Depends if the CBA CEO took the time to have a beer with them and tell them that none of it was his fault and that he's furious with the board (but he won't leave).

Seems like the membership campaign this season is the jewel in his crown. Great. That means his salary can be halved, he can start manning the phones and we can get someone else in as CEO.

And, in fact, it could quite easily be seen by the cynical as (at least partly) a strategy to keep the most vocal supporters on his side.

Quite possibly true, something I didn't think about.

Quite possibly true, something I didn't think about.

Especially since it seems to have worked an absolute treat, going by the last few pages. Potentially one of his more astute moves.

Exactly this. Couldn't give two fucks if he brang me a slab right now, he doesn't know Football, end of.

I couldn't give a fuck about him buying beers either. But I also don't give a fuck if he doesn't know football. In regard to the position of CEO, there is very little difference what sport is being played. That's why there is a position of Football Operations Manager, to manage football operations, the things that actually require a detailed knowledge of the sport. To set the long term strategy and direction of the football teams, beyond just the first team, and beyond just the current manager. Seems the only strategy JD has implemented is "let's be a bunch of shit cunts and never get a result". How this guy still has a job is beyond me, far worse than JVS still having a job. JVS 1, JA, JVS 2, under every manager we have been failures, to me that means JD has to go as well.

Fix the football department, the rest of the club is on the up, probably due to the good work of SM & co. They've proven themselves with the increased resources at their disposal, only the football department continues to let us down. And that can easily be fixed by getting rid of JD and JVS.

• Like 2

Exactly this. Couldn't give two fucks if he brang me a slab right now, he doesn't know Football, end of. I couldn't give a fuck about him buying beers either. But I also don't give a fuck if he doesn't know football. In regard to the position of CEO, there is very little difference what sport is being played. That's why there is a position of Football Operations Manager, to manage football operations, the things that actually require a detailed knowledge of the sport. To set the long term strategy and direction of the football teams, beyond just the first team, and beyond just the current manager. Seems the only strategy JD has implemented is "let's be a bunch of shit cunts and never get a result". How this guy still has a job is beyond me, far worse than JVS still having a job. JVS 1, JA, JVS 2, under every manager we have been failures, to me that means JD has to go as well.

Fix the football department, the rest of the club is on the up, probably due to the good work of SM & co. They've proven themselves with the increased resources at their disposal, only the football department continues to let us down. And that can easily be fixed by getting rid of JD and JVS. Yeah you're completely right pal, we would have been better off without JD but with SM. (Y)

I couldn't give a fuck about him buying beers either. But I also don't give a fuck if he doesn't know football. In regard to the position of CEO, there is very little difference what sport is being played. That's why there is a position of Football Operations Manager, to manage football operations, the things that actually require a detailed knowledge of the sport. To set the long term strategy and direction of the football teams, beyond just the first team, and beyond just the current manager. Seems the only strategy JD has implemented is "let's be a bunch of shit cunts and never get a result". How this guy still has a job is beyond me, far worse than JVS still having a job. JVS 1, JA, JVS 2, under every manager we have been failures, to me that means JD has to go as well.

Fix the football department, the rest of the club is on the up, probably due to the good work of SM & co. They've proven themselves with the increased resources at their disposal, only the football department continues to let us down. And that can easily be fixed by getting rid of JD and JVS.

Consisting of what, exactly? I find it very hard to believe that the increased membership and numbers at the first couple of games were due to anything, besides:

• A bunch of big name/highly credentialled recruits, including arguably the biggest name in A-League history in the tail end of his prime.
  • The 'likely' recruits that were bandied around, whether or not they ultimately eventuated: Bresciano, Kennedy, Lampard.
  • The Manchester City connection (every Melbourne EPL fan that had jumped on the Manchester City bandwagon over the past five years was probably going to do the same with Melbourne City) and the idea that we were just going to blow everyone away with our spending.
  • Pre-season championship favouritism with the bookies.

How much of the above was due to Scott Munn? How is the rest of the club on the up, considering we've seen pretty clearly that unless the team starts winning, we'll be back to Heart attendance figures by Christmas? Because it seems from here like he's had a bit more money to throw around, so now we've got some pretty facilities and the players had a nice England tour and it's made Sweet FA difference.

Consisting of what, exactly? I find it very hard to believe that the increased membership and numbers at the first couple of games were due to anything, besides:

• A bunch of big name/highly credentialled recruits, including arguably the biggest name in A-League history in the tail end of his prime.
  • The 'likely' recruits that were bandied around, whether or not they ultimately eventuated: Bresciano, Kennedy, Lampard.
  • The Manchester City connection (every Melbourne EPL fan that had jumped on the Manchester City bandwagon over the past five years was probably going to do the same with Melbourne City) and the idea that we were just going to blow everyone away with our spending.
How much of the above was due to Scott Munn? How is the rest of the club on the up, considering we've seen pretty clearly that unless the team starts winning, we'll be back to Heart attendance figures by Christmas? Because it seems from here like he's had a bit more money to throw around, so now we've got some pretty facilities and the players had a nice England tour and it's made Sweet FA difference.

Lol, so you want to blame the CEO for the club not performing on the field, but you don't want to give him credit for increased memberships, increased attendances, far greater fan engagement, increased brand awareness, a much higher overall level of professionalism, etc.?

Lol, so you want to blame the CEO for the club not performing on the field, but you don't want to give him credit for increased memberships, increased attendances, far greater fan engagement, increased brand awareness, a much higher overall level of professionalism, etc.?

No, I want you to tell me exactly what he's done. Increased brand awareness?? The CEO could be based in Abu Dhabi and never even been to Melbourne and we'd have increased brand awareness, compared to the Heart years.

Increased memberships: what a bang up job here. People jumped on because: a] they thought we'd start filling trophy cabinets; and b] because they wanted to see David Villa. Several would feel that they've been misled by the club, regarding Villa. I wonder how many will stick around for the 2015/16 season.

Increased attendances: are you suggesting it's not due completely to the factors that I listed previously? Of which, few have anything to do with Munn, as far as I'm concerned. Tell me about how well City is going in this regard after the game this weekend.

Fan engagement: Meaning what? I'm a fan. I feel no more engaged than I was 12 months ago. The fan engagement was (and is) pretty five star with keeping us in the loop about Villa, wasn't it?

Higher professionalism: well, what a genius. He got millions to throw at an off-field set-up that wasn't even semi-professional standard (under his watch) previously. And we've seen...how much improvement from the players that were here last year? Has anyone improved?

Etc: oh, no...please continue with Munn's glittering list of achievements...

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

No, I want you to tell me exactly what he's done. Increased brand awareness?? The CEO could be based in Abu Dhabi and never even been to Melbourne and we'd have increased brand awareness, compared to the Heart years.

Increased memberships: what a bang up job here. People jumped on because they thought: a] we'd start filling trophy cabinets; and b] because they wanted to see David Villa. Several would feel that they've been misled by the club, regarding Villa. I wonder how many will stick around for the 2015/16 season.

Increased attendances: are you suggesting it's not due completely to the factors that I listed previously? Of which, few have anything to do with Munn, as far as I'm concerned. Tell me about how well City is going in this regard after the game this weekend.

Fan engagement: Meaning what? I'm a fan. I feel no more engaged than I was 12 months ago. The fan engagement was (and is) pretty five star with keeping us in the loop about Villa, wasn't it?

Higher professionalism: well, what a genius. He got millions to throw at an off-field set-up that wasn't even semi-professional standard (under his watch) previously. And we've seen...how much improvement from the players that were here last year? Has anyone improved?

Etc: oh, no...please continue...

Sack em all. Bring in south Melbourne

Increased memberships: what a bang up job here. People jumped on because: a] they thought we'd start filling trophy cabinets; and b] because they wanted to see David Villa. Several would feel that they've been misled by the club, regarding Villa. I wonder how many will stick around for the 2015/16 season.

Well actually, during the Heart years, before City was even thought about, we still somehow managed to maintain membership growth and match attendances, as well as manage to somehow keep the majority of fans and turn over a small profit.

All of this happened despite the on-field product being one of the least appealing products on the market, whilst the direct market competitor (Victory) continued to go from strength to strength. I see this as a fucking miracle.

If anything, Munn is a god for somehow keeping the club afloat for as long as it was.

(please note, I'm not saying keep Munn, I couldn't give a shit tbh, but your claim that he hasn't done anything is incorrect in regards to his role as CEO.)

Well actually, during the Heart years, before City was even thought about, we still somehow managed to maintain membership growth and match attendances, as well as manage to somehow keep the majority of fans and turn over a small profit.

All of this happened despite the on-field product being one of the least appealing products on the market, whilst the direct market competitor (Victory) continued to go from strength to strength. I see this as a fucking miracle.

If anything, Munn is a god for somehow keeping the club afloat for as long as it was.

(please note, I'm not saying keep Munn, I couldn't give a shit tbh, but your claim that he hasn't done anything is incorrect in regards to his role as CEO.)

The 'improved' home match attendances (which actually appear to have yo-yoed from season 1 to season 4) almost seem to be entirely down to which seasons we've had two home games (and the subsequent additional 25k+ crowd) against Victory. Not sure Munn can be take credit for that, to be honest.

• Like 1

It's not just the CEO, there are so many people on the pay role who are doing nothing. Listening to SEN this morning Clint Bolten was asked directly "what's happening at Melbourne City".. His response, "it's not great at the moment, we have played really well in patches and we haven't been able to finish off our chances" he then went on to say "everyone can see we are leaking goals and that needs to be sorted as quick as possible, but we have to improve as a whole group"

Everyone! and I mean everyone at Melbourne City FC is delusional, their eyes are glued shut and they can see what is really happening.

Sporting clubs in general always have a negative stigma associated with them, a performance is never great because there is always room to improve... athlete are never the finished product, they are always work in progress.

Melbourne City/Heart is the only club that pats themselves on the back because they play well but don't get the results. We creat chances but we didn't finish them on this occasion. We played well the first 45min.

This is the fundamental issue with our club, everyone is playing it safe and no-one wants to see the reality..

Last time I looked (a moment ago, at his Twitter account) Munn styled himself as CEO Melbourne City FC.

chief executive officer (CEO) is generally the most senior corporate officer (executive) or administrator in charge of managing a for-profitorganization. The CEO of a corporation or company typically reports to the board of directors and is charged with maximizing the value of the entity.Titles often used as synonyms for CEO include president, managing director (MD) and chief executive (CE).

The responsibilities of an organization's CEO are set by the organization's board of directors or other authority, depending on the organization's legal structure. They can be far-reaching or quite limited and are typically enshrined in a formal delegation of authority.

Typically, the CEO/MD has responsibilities as a director, decision maker, leader, manager and executor. The communicator role can involve the press and the rest of the outside world, as well as the organization's management and employees; the decision-making role involves high-level decisions about policy and strategy. As a leader of the company, the CEO/MD advises the board of directors, motivates employees, and drives change within the organization. As a manager, the CEO/MD presides over the organization's day-to-day operations.

That's (part of) what Wikipedia has to say on the subject of a CEO.

I wasn't aware that the CEO of a football club was somehow quarantined away from what I would have thought was the most important part of such a club - the part actually concerned with football.

In passing, I was pleased to receive the latest weekly e-mail from the club this evening. I searched in vain for even just a reference to the fact that we played in Wellington at the weekend.

• Like 1

In passing, I was pleased to receive the latest weekly e-mail from the club this evening. I searched in vain for even just a reference to the fact that we played in Wellington at the weekend.

I stopped reading it when the opening line wasn't a sincere apology. That would be the start of meaningful fan engagement.

Last time I looked (a moment ago, at his Twitter account) Munn styled himself as CEO Melbourne City FC.

chief executive officer (CEO) is generally the most senior corporate officer (executive) or administrator in charge of managing a for-profitorganization. The CEO of a corporation or company typically reports to the board of directors and is charged with maximizing the value of the entity.Titles often used as synonyms for CEO include president, managing director (MD) and chief executive (CE).

The responsibilities of an organization's CEO are set by the organization's board of directors or other authority, depending on the organization's legal structure. They can be far-reaching or quite limited and are typically enshrined in a formal delegation of authority.

Typically, the CEO/MD has responsibilities as a director, decision maker, leader, manager and executor. The communicator role can involve the press and the rest of the outside world, as well as the organization's management and employees; the decision-making role involves high-level decisions about policy and strategy. As a leader of the company, the CEO/MD advises the board of directors, motivates employees, and drives change within the organization. As a manager, the CEO/MD presides over the organization's day-to-day operations.

That's (part of) what Wikipedia has to say on the subject of a CEO.

I wasn't aware that the CEO of a football club was somehow quarantined away from what I would have thought was the most important part of such a club - the part actually concerned with football.

Well, one would argue that the football is irrelevant, if the CEO is still maximising shareholder value. That could be achieved by filling the squad with youth and selling them off for a large profit once they develop. The football would be shit, but the CEO would be doing their job in maximising shareholder value. Depends on the owners and board though, I doubt any of the owners in this league actually plan on making money, I think most are in it just for the novelty of owning a football team and just hope to break even. So I doubt they would want the club run like that.

Actually Melbourne Heart was run to a less extreme case of the above. We had a fair bit of youngsters and sold them off to break even.

Edited by Tesla

'Fan engagement' has been off the charts this week. Not sure about anyone else, but I keep getting a picture of Scott Munn hiding under his desk with his phone switched off.

The club is apparently going with the 'pretend that Sunday's game never happened' strategy, with regards to all official news (what little of it there's been) being released this week. Which would be fine, you know, if this was some park football team run by part-timers and volunteers.

Well if you fans want JVS out then I suggest you make your feelings known at the game this weekend.

You can still get behind the team and make it clear you don't have faith in the manager.

Speaking from my experiences in the past with City and watching other teams, what pushes the baord to change managers is when it is clear he has lost the fans.

Well if you fans want JVS out then I suggest you make your feelings known at the game this weekend.

You can still get behind the team and make it clear you don't have faith in the manager.

Speaking from my experiences in the past with City and watching other teams, what pushes the baord to change managers is when it is clear he has lost the fans.

You mean do something like this and City will listen?

484368997-heart-fans-hold-a-banner-readi

5xsahc.jpg

• Like 4

5xsahc.jpg

Well they had made up their minds regarding that which I was disappointed with and said so at the time.

However, the fans can make a difference and sway opinion. I was outside Miane Road when we finally got rid of Peter Swales (Chairman) all those years ago when he sacked a manger the supporters where behind. I have seen other times when fans from different clubs have turned against the manager and they have been sacked.

5xsahc.jpg

Not really sure you have used the best example there to be fair. You have chosen to make an example of the one thing that was probably a non negotiable for them. Don't let your one example allow you to believe that they are happy with the situation.

Even though I think his position has become untenable I think they will give JVS a little longer. End of the day they are more experienced football managers than any of us punters, we just have to take the longer term approach (yeah it means suffering now). Perhaps it means people will get off the 'bandwagon' (I don't presume this is you though KSK it is clear from your  posts you are clearly a passionate supporter) while we wait for everything to be improved. I for the record am also of the opinion that the coach now needs to go BUT I believe the rest of the house needs to be put in order first. If we achieve nothing but getting the backroom areas right as well as start developing some local players we will be looking a lot better come next year.

5xsahc.jpg

Well they had made up their minds regarding that which I was disappointed with and said so at the time.

However, the fans can make a difference and sway opinion. I was outside Miane Road when we finally got rid of Peter Swales (Chairman) all those years ago when he sacked a manger the supporters where behind. I have seen other times when fans from different clubs have turned against the manager and they have been sacked.

Well this is why I don't think it's up to the fans to go to any effort to see this change made. After everything that's gone on at this club before and after the takeover it's lucky anyone shows up to games let alone cares at all.

So my recommendation to everyone is not to go to the game and hold up signs and chant. It's to stay at the pub and enjoy your afternoon

Honestly niko the colombaris thing was a bit of banter that old georgey boy took the wrong way. Just a bit of humour.

That's it.

You're clutching at straws. Look, from the outside looking in ( and that's all it is. No one here is privy to the inside workings of the club and truly knows how things work) I would say munn's biggest flaw in his five years has been his unwillingness to sack staff that haven't cut the mustard (jvs, JA, jd).

Hell there's probably some unionist fuckwits out there that think that's an honourable trait!

Other than that, I agree with what tesla has said in that munn has done a good job with limited resources, formed purely on the basis of what I know and have learnt over the past few seasons, and well, that may well be not much at all.

Bit of a bump, but come on BT, I dislike GC as much as anyone, but to have the head of the entire club getting into a rival supporter just breeds this small club mentality. Why bother? Name one club around the world that you feel is well run, and then imagine their CEO doing the same thing. It wouldn't happen, it's moronic and completely classless.

On that note, why does the CEO feel a need to be on Twitter? As nice as it may be for the fans to interact with Munn, it just screams of Cameron Schwab when he was CEO at the Dees. Do your job in running a football club, let the talking be done on the field and by the manager.

• Like 1

Honestly niko the colombaris thing was a bit of banter that old georgey boy took the wrong way. Just a bit of humour.

That's it.

You're clutching at straws. Look, from the outside looking in ( and that's all it is. No one here is privy to the inside workings of the club and truly knows how things work) I would say munn's biggest flaw in his five years has been his unwillingness to sack staff that haven't cut the mustard (jvs, JA, jd).

Hell there's probably some unionist fuckwits out there that think that's an honourable trait!

Other than that, I agree with what tesla has said in that munn has done a good job with limited resources, formed purely on the basis of what I know and have learnt over the past few seasons, and well, that may well be not much at all.

Bit of a bump, but come on BT, I dislike GC as much as anyone, but to have the head of the entire club getting into a rival supporter just breeds this small club mentality. Why bother? Name one club around the world that you feel is well run, and then imagine their CEO doing the same thing. It wouldn't happen, it's moronic and completely classless.

On that note, why does the CEO feel a need to be on Twitter? As nice as it may be for the fans to interact with Munn, it just screams of Cameron Schwab when he was CEO at the Dees. Do your job in running a football club, let the talking be done on the field and by the manager.

Why wouldn't he? He's a person like everyone else. You wouldn't go around to any of your mates and say oh well gee you're a barista, you don't need to have a personal social media account and you shouldn't say anything on social media.

I'm aware that being a public profile he'll be put under a bit more scrutiny in what he says, but jumping all over him for what I think was intended as a bit of banter is neither here nor there when it comes to running a football club. 

Hell, you could even argue it displays that he has as much passion for the club as all of us and it isn't 'just a job' to him.

And no I can't name another CEO that has done something similar, because that sort of small time stuff is irrelevant to me and I wouldn't take any notice no matter who it was.

And no I can't name another CEO that has done something similar, because that sort of small time stuff is irrelevant to me and I wouldn't take any notice no matter who it was.

I can't imagine anyone outside of our club even recalls the incident. It's a bit of a non issue.

exactly

TBH I don't really care about precisely who is responsible for precisely what at Melbourne City any more.

All I can see is that nobody - just nobody - is prepared to be accountable for the mire that the club is in, both on and off the field. And please don't tell me that it's only the football department that is at fault - the club's handling of the David Villa affair was and continues to be appalling, and if that can't be sheeted home to the CEO than what can?

The attempts to airbrush Melbourne Heart, and now last weekend in Wellington, out of history are nothing short of pathetic.

The club is slowly losing me and plenty of others along with me I suspect. And I doubt that this drift can be arrested until the senior management at the club is removed.

• Like 5

I called it from the FFA cup game and new the club was going about things wrong, especialy how JVS had us playing.

I said whoever went far in the FFA cup would have a good season, look at Perth! Out of the top 4 in the HAL, AU v Glory FFA final, Sydney went far and was out with what could be seen as as dubious descision. Victards are an abberation (though most goals this season have been OG by the opposition) but got through a couple of rounds.

JVS has been poor this season.

• Like 3

I can't imagine anyone outside of our club even recalls the incident. It's a bit of a non issue.

exactly

Lol then you don't speak to many aleague football fans of other clubs outside of this forum. Brought up constantly especially with victory supporters when his name is mentioned.

since when have we cared what they think? a mong opinion on us is about as useful as one of ours about them. probably even less with the amount of nuffies and nawty boyz over there

So the goalposts are moving a bit from 'no-one would remember it' to 'no-one that I personally respect would remember it.'

It would be one thing if it had actually been a derby (and still not great from the CEO to a bloke that he is clearly not friends with), another to do it when your team wasn't even involved in the game, was anchored to the bottom of the ladder and (from memory) had just registered its first win for the season early that weekend (in January). Have some self-awareness, FFS. Again, if a young kid like Garuccio or Mauk had done the same thing, I'd expect him to be given a serve from JVS (and perhaps from higher up than that) and possibly cop a penalty of some sort.

As far as I'm concerned, GC won that slapfest by simply Tweeting back something along the lines of 'Says a lot about why your club is where it is, when as the CEO you're doing this sort of stuff.' Checkmate...he's spot on.

• Like 1

TBH I don't really care about precisely who is responsible for precisely what at Melbourne City any more.

All I can see is that nobody - just nobody - is prepared to be accountable for the mire that the club is in, both on and off the field. And please don't tell me that it's only the football department that is at fault - the club's handling of the David Villa affair was and continues to be appalling, and if that can't be sheeted home to the CEO than what can?

The attempts to airbrush Melbourne Heart, and now last weekend in Wellington, out of history are nothing short of pathetic.

The club is slowly losing me and plenty of others along with me I suspect. And I doubt that this drift can be arrested until the senior management at the club is removed.

I think, when in doubt, a safe bet is that it is reasonable to give the CEO  a bit of the credit for everything that goes right and also a bit of the criticism for everything that goes wrong. He's the head honcho. Every employee ultimately reports to him, so he shares their successes and their failures. That's how it works.

• Like 1