Melbourne Football

MCFC v NEW - Round 2.

mitchellmcleod

Not a bad performance to be honest, although Newcastle at home is a must win normally. A lot of negativity on here... I agree that we went backwards and sideways too much, but Newcastle parked the bus and made it hard for us, so we did well i reckon. Parking the bus is a credit to how other teams view us. Once we start hosting teams who actually think they can win, we will see a more open game with more space for our attack force

Given that Villa will be marked by 2 defenders at most games, it would be good to see make better use of our unmarked player. I haven't seen that yet. Ideally that would be our RB or LB and that's probably why I haven't seen it.

I don't think that Murdocca is a bad player but part of the problem is that he sees so much of the ball because he does little creatively with it and this reduces the effectiveness of the team especially when opponents are sitting deep and we need creative midfielders to make good passes forward through the lines. He usually just short passes sideways to another midfielder. He's also the last player I'd want to have shooting at goal with his cumulative HAL grand total of 1 goal in 9 seasons.

As for active support, Melburnians got better in the 2nd half but there really is a need to move on from any heart chants. Caused a fair bit of frustration with many in the crowd to hear Heart being called out.

Overall dissapointing start to get a big crowd but not get a win, however I still see many positives in the game.

My thoughts on the game:

First half we dominated the possession but couldn't finish, I couldn't quite tell you what went on as I was singing with the Melburnians but I do know we had many chances.

Second half I thought mooy & duff were the stand outs and Murdocca was also impressive but how many times did he have a clear opportunity to shoot but didn't??

David villa again with a clinical finish to save us.

The Melburnians weren't very impressive in the first half but the second half was a lot better with some great new chants being sung loudly.

there's always room for improvement in every aspect but as we have a new look lineup it will take a few weeks for us to gel and get that chemistry.

For The Melburnians it was obviously there first Home HAL game as a group and the chanting was pretty sloppy and barely anyone was joining in but as we progress through the season we will have a huge improvement in sure of it! (Great to see all 3 bays standing though)

Just back from the game and firstly well done to the Melburnians.  At times it sounded a little disorganised, but sitting up the ground I was really impressed how much louder you sound with the increased numbers.  Clearly a few teething problems - some really quiet patches - but it will come together and the club will be so much the stronger for it.  Well done and keep pushing.

The game was a disappointing result but we did play some nice football.  There are some obvious problems that need to be corrected and, certainly in midfield, we have solutions.  Murdocca still doesn't rate for me - for all the wasted energy and fly in a bottle buzzing around, there were times a true AM would have carved Newcastle open, yet he took the conservative approach.  Koren will add more and, god forbid, if we get Germano fit, he will add plenty more as well.  Mooy is an absolute star and Duff's effort is something to behold.  I loved him giving Rambo a spray out on our wing for not closing someone down - the guy just cares and was pushing until it hurt. 

Ramsay is really, really poor.  I'm not sure if he's been instructed not to close players down due to his clumsy tackling, but it certainly opens us up and when you look at their goal you'll see what I mean.  The guy is so scared of giving away a foul that he doesn't press and opens the door for the opposition.  Add to this he gives nothing going forward, it's an area I can see will be exploited by Thompson or Barbarousos next weekend.  The Hoff is improving but still pretty weak.

I'm not sure why Paartalu was subbed - I'd imagine fitness - but when Retre came on and Mooy was instructed to sit deeper, you could see he was clearly pissed off.  He was creative and you get the feeling he just wants to push forward and create.  To me it would have been better to sit Retre deeper and allow Mooy to continue up the park.  Was strange to me.  And Brown was pretty average.  He's a perplexing signing to me.  I'm also surprised how big a bloke he is - he needs to throw his weight around more as he had absolutely zero presence today.

There were some good things to see though.  We are clearly better in possession, we pushed to the end for the equalizer at least showing some desire to get a result (that wouldn't have happened in the past) and at least JVS chased the game.  Changing to a back three and pushing more bodies forward was risky, but at least he took the game on and through this rescued a point.  I know there's not a lot of JVS love on the forum, but I think he is showing game day smarts and trying to gel this squad.  For all the disappointment, we are clearly playing better football, dominating games, and trying new things.  I'm happy with the process at this stage - I get the feeling if we stick to our guns the results will come, but adding some more direct football to mix it up wouldn't hurt either.  Of course if results don't come then at least we have the war chest to make personnel changes.  City don't have a history of being a patient group.

The final word to Villa - just a delight to see the tricks and craft.  Need I say more.

• Like 5

I think the Murdocca's criticism is unjustified. He races around and pressures the opposition and cleans up balls lost that no one else is fast enough or energetic enough to chase.

Duff is pure class. When you see all the young Aussie pups fall down with cramp and the 35 year old still playing in a foreign climate is an indication of his professionalism.

Villa is a wonderful player except he does almost no defence. He stands waiting for the ball and most teams will work this out and make it harder for him.

Mooy is great but it almost looks like he is trying just a little too hard at times and some of his game suffers. He also seems not to get enough of his corners past the first man, but nevertheless he's quality.

Paartalu is wasted playing so deep. As probably the best ball distributor in the league during the two Roar premiership seasons it almost appears that they are bypassing him. Mooy hardly plays him preferring to take on the opposition rather than playing further up the field himself.

But scoring will continue to be our on going problem. The return of Koren will make little difference as the problem is up front,

I think the Murdocca's criticism is unjustified. He races around and pressures the opposition and cleans up balls lost that no one else is fast enough or energetic enough to chase.

That's the strength in his game, the weakness though is what he does when he gets the ball as often as he does. It reduces our efficiency.

• Like 3

should have buried them in the first half...team worked hard all day and always in the game...more chances will come and goals will follow...crowd was brilliant...top deck opened first time ever for a non derby...never thought id see the day....active was great and with time will get better...need some common catchy chants....overall great day and cant wait till the derby next week...

• Like 1

On face value, the start of the season hasn't been too bad. It's just that the vast majority of us here have seen us fail to get value for effort and take our chances and all signs point to it happening again this year. A silver lining is that we are at least salvaging something after falling behind, but that's little consolation when if the team could just put one in the net in the first half, it looks for all money like it would put another 1-2 on the board in quick succession.

It's all about the derby now. Five points from three games would be a good start and would probably have us in the top four by this time next week. On the other hand, three points from three games would be a very ordinary start and two points would be terrible.

I recorded the game and got up about 8:30 to watch it.

My thoughts on it are that we dominated possession throughout and looked very fit which will be beneficial as the season goes on.

Our biggest problem is creating clear cut chances. I would say we need to play more one touch football near the penalty area

Too often the safe ball was taken out wide and it gives the oppsoition a chance to regroup

Villa should have been moved up front after 20 minutes rather than 40 minutes. He made a couple of good runs but the balls were overhit

However, I did feel that performance was much better than anything I saw towards the end of last season.

I think the team will grow and the wins will come

Just keep the faith lads

Edited by silva10

As for active support, Melburnians got better in the 2nd half but there really is a need to move on from any heart chants. Caused a fair bit of frustration with many in the crowd to hear Heart being called out.

Overall dissapointing start to get a big crowd but not get a win, however I still see many positives in the game.

"Heart_fan"...

caused frustration with a few bandwagoning flogs.. maybe not a massive amount of heart required in chants but it's definitely nice to keep a lot of it and not "move on from any heart chants"

• Like 5

Considering it was the first home game the terrace did fine but I definitely expect to see an improvement (doesn't have to be a massive improvement) within the next 2 weeks.

In saying this the first 3 rows of bay 17 was 95-98% filled with children under the age of 14, whilst I believe there shouldn't be restrictions on who can and can't be in the terrace, these fuckers only sung 2 chants for the whole 90 mins from what I saw. Even the kids directly infront of me sung more than the 3 rows and I commended them for it, also telling them to encourage the 3 rows to fire up so that I didn't come across as a dick yelling at them to fire the fuck up.

Edited by CALZALOL

My thoughts on it are that we dominated possession throughout and looked very fit which will be beneficial as the season goes on.

Our biggest problem is creating clear cut chances. I would say we need to play more one touch football near the penalty area

Too often the safe ball was taken out wide and it gives the oppsoition a chance to regroup

Villa should have been moved up front after 20 minutes rather than 40 minutes. He made a couple of good runs but the balls were overhit

However, I did feel that performance was much better than anything I saw towards the end of last season.

Just keep the faith lads

Keep in mind he was our coach for season 1 and 2 under Heart too and this has always been a problem under him. Meaningless possession. 

Won't comment on the game, didn't watch it too closely.

Thoughts on the terrace:

-Too many kids with their parents, hate to put it bluntly, they need to fuck off and move the side bays or wings, no place for them in a terrace. 

-So many new people there, hated the heart chants, they will need to be phased out/used less often as more new chants are developed but they are still good.

-Disorganized in the first half with the chants and what chant is next, have a list of all the ones known and new ones so its seamless when going from chant to chant.

-Spoke to a lot of people around me, they didn't know the words and wanted to know them, need to be posting them up other than here for those ones. 

-Everyone needs to know what is expected of them if they are going to be apart of the terrace, this needs to be drilled into people to death.

-More passion needed from everyone.

-I'm sure if you asked all the people there, the majority of people wouldn't even know what the new terrace is called.

-Slow down the chants, it might sound slow when you singing it but it isnt. 

-2nd half was good, lost the volume near the end but that was to be expected being first game and vocal cords not up to it.

Overall, good start to the new terrace, can't expect it to be perfect from day 1, plenty of teething issues but we all need to take leadership and make it work. 

Also, i'm happy to step up and play the trumpet if its wanted, just give me the music to learn and i'll blow my chops off for the terrace. 

This is completely unrelated to game but when the opposition side gets read out (I know they are opposition and we shouldn't care about them, but I like to know who we up against) can we make sure we arnt reading it upside down like today. Dunno if anyone else noticed but we read out Birrighitti as striker etc and that's what was on scoreboard.

Its only a little thing, but when you stuff up the little simple things it makes you look quite silly

I was in prem b and I have to hand it to the Melburnians, for their first home match they did a great job. Just personally I like keeping the Heart chants in there, it is part of the club and it is the best way to transition into the club's new phase by keeping the old and bit by bit adding the new. Some City chants were great, others I can see the potential in.

The game itself...well after the world's longest off season I quickly recaputred the emotions of a Heart game, utter frustration sprinkled with the smallest bit of optimism. Others has talked about individuals and all I will add is I was most impressed my Duff's professionalism, this time in February others may slump but I can see him carrying this team...Koren next week (hopefully) will be sorely needed however.

On the crowd itself it had such a great buzz about it all day long, I was amazed. Opening up the top deck against an interstate side was something I honestly thought I may never see for the Heart so it was great to see! Hopefully against next home game if we sell out of Prem A lower level they automatically start selling the top level tickets. We need it to become a regular occurance.

A lot of people ready to pull the trigger here.

Yes i agree we still have a way to go, with our fullbacks and faster ball movement being amongst the things that need to be sharpened.

Yet credit needs to go to the Jets. They obviously studied last week's game against Sydney. Last week Duff was cutting balls back across the penalty box at will. They had this covered today and made it difficult for us to get that final ball through. Sitting deep, along with the stop play tactics made it even harder for us.

Yes we coughed up a crap goal again but that's where the comparison to last year ends for me. Today we made some changes, kept on fighting and salvaged a draw. We could have won it, we could have lost it, but we at least saw it out.

Next week will be a different proposition altogether. Victory won't sit back and will be pushing forward more. Yes we will have a real problem with their wingers, Barbarouses in particular - but i also think they will be vulnerable (especially Milligan) and we will have some clearer cut chances than today. Just sad Koren won't be ready yet.

• Like 1

Just keep the faith lads

Keep in mind he was our coach for season 1 and 2 under Heart too and this has always been a problem under him. Meaningless possession.

To be honest at least with Wielart and kisnorbo I have an expectation that we might go forward at some point. With colosimo, hammill good and Bolton I was usually convinced the plan was to maximise pass attempts (not even completions) in back third.

• Like 1

This is completely unrelated to game but when the opposition side gets read out (I know they are opposition and we shouldn't care about them, but I like to know who we up against) can we make sure we arnt reading it upside down like today. Dunno if anyone else noticed but we read out Birrighitti as striker etc and that's what was on scoreboard.

Its only a little thing, but when you stuff up the little simple things it makes you look quite silly

Agree with this, I was trying to mark down the final starting teams on my programme and soon realised it was hopeless with the way Newcastle was read out.

I was in prem b and I have to hand it to the Melburnians, for their first home match they did a great job. Just personally I like keeping the Heart chants in there, it is part of the club and it is the best way to transition into the club's new phase by keeping the old and bit by bit adding the new. Some City chants were great, others I can see the potential in.

The game itself...well after the world's longest off season I quickly recaputred the emotions of a Heart game, utter frustration sprinkled with the smallest bit of optimism. Others has talked about individuals and all I will add is I was most impressed my Duff's professionalism, this time in February others may slump but I can see him carrying this team...Koren next week (hopefully) will be sorely needed however.

On the crowd itself it had such a great buzz about it all day long, I was amazed. Opening up the top deck against an interstate side was something I honestly thought I may never see for the Heart so it was great to see! Hopefully against next home game if we sell out of Prem A lower level they automatically start selling the top level tickets. We need it to become a regular occurance.

I must say that the queues for the food stalls and city merchandise made me rather wistful for the old heart...

• Like 3

We have a few new skillful guys with positive attacking mindset and then a bunch of donkeys from previous seasons who run forward a few yards, look up, get confused and then pass sideways or backwards. The clear winner in this category is Ramshit but Murdocca is not far behind. For the opposition this is gold because they now have time to regroup and close down.

How Murdocca won man of the match is beyond me. Duff was clearly the most influential player on our team today. Mooy gets honourable mention.

• Like 2

Well that was a flat game. In the first half, City dominated but were unable to score. I will note that there is a lot of love for Villa but today he missed two gettable chances and then scored a freak of a goal. I read here that its Villa and therefore he should be forgiven - No. Yes he did score the equalizer but he still missed two opportunities. In the second half City did not show up until the Jets scored and their intensity lifted. The same happened last week A pattern is emerging where City spend their energy and the opposition defends tightly and in the second half they counter attack and score - then city plays catch up. This will end in tears.

The tactics need reworking. A lot of people are heaping crap on Ramsay but after he was subbed of, Jeronimo on two occasions was left totally unattended - that tells me that Ramsay was following the game plan. If the game plan is not effective it is not the players fault - that is the coaches fault. JVS has 6 days to come up with a plan to defeat Victory. Cause right now, at least to me, the problem is in the tactics.

• Like 1

Took my 3yd old girl today sat on the corner flag city end and she loved the atmosphere she was chanting and singing and loved the villa goal. The joy it brought her just being there and hearing SHT before the game and sing with everyone was so worth it. Result I could go on and on about. But today it made me realize how lucky we are to have a club where you can safely take your family and have a great day. So props to the terrace for creating a great atmosphere.

Duff and mooy are guns. Villa legend can't wait for koren to sneak in.

Mate on the bench for last weeks easy miss?

• Like 2

Well that was a flat game. In the first half, City dominated but were unable to score. I will note that there is a lot of love for Villa but today he missed two gettable chances and then scored a freak of a goal. I read here that its Villa and therefore he should be forgiven - No. Yes he did score the equalizer but he still missed two opportunities. In the second half City did not show up until the Jets scored and their intensity lifted. The same happened last week A pattern is emerging where City spend their energy and the opposition defends tightly and in the second half they counter attack and score - then city plays catch up. This will end in tears.

The tactics need reworking. A lot of people are heaping crap on Ramsay but after he was subbed of, Jeronimo on two occasions was left totally unattended - that tells me that Ramsay was following the game plan. If the game plan is not effective it is not the players fault - that is the coaches fault. JVS has 6 days to come up with a plan to defeat Victory. Cause right now, at least to me, the problem is in the tactics.

I thought Newcastle stuck to their plan admirably, and they almost pulled it off. As you say, soak up a series of frenetic and frantic City attacks, and then make some crafty substitutions and use every gamesmanship tactic in the book to frustrate City's attempts to regain rhythm.

The problem JvS has to overcome is that every other team in the league knows exactly how we are going to play, and most of them know exactly what to do to counteract it. He needs a Plan B.

Won't comment on the game, didn't watch it too closely.

Thoughts on the terrace:

-Too many kids with their parents, hate to put it bluntly, they need to fuck off and move the side bays or wings, no place for them in a terrace.

-So many new people there, hated the heart chants, they will need to be phased out/used less often as more new chants are developed but they are still good.

-Disorganized in the first half with the chants and what chant is next, have a list of all the ones known and new ones so its seamless when going from chant to chant.

-Spoke to a lot of people around me, they didn't know the words and wanted to know them, need to be posting them up other than here for those ones.

-Everyone needs to know what is expected of them if they are going to be apart of the terrace, this needs to be drilled into people to death.

-More passion needed from everyone.

-I'm sure if you asked all the people there, the majority of people wouldn't even know what the new terrace is called.

-Slow down the chants, it might sound slow when you singing it but it isnt.

-2nd half was good, lost the volume near the end but that was to be expected being first game and vocal cords not up to it.

Overall, good start to the new terrace, can't expect it to be perfect from day 1, plenty of teething issues but we all need to take leadership and make it work.

Also, i'm happy to step up and play the trumpet if its wanted, just give me the music to learn and i'll blow my chops off for the terrace.

Just on your first point I can say the reason why there were probably families there was because the GA on the side was full. I was sitting to the right, and the usher was telling everyone you can sit in these two sections or 'behind the goals' was telling everyone that actually.

• Like 1

Just got home, here's my summary:

+ Attendance figure of over 15k

+ David Villa's goal

+ The celebration for David Villa's goal

+ Damien Duff being a mad snake

+ Heart chants

- The end result, we should have buried Newcastle

- Mass being awarded man of the match when every one of his passes was counter-productive

- Atmosphere in the first half was putrid, but definitely improved in the second

- Getting called a cunt because I "stole" some guy's seat in active, despite telling him it's not a reserved area

- Shit, expensive train ride home

Took my 3yd old girl today sat on the corner flag city end and she loved the atmosphere she was chanting and singing and loved the villa goal. The joy it brought her just being there and hearing SHT before the game and sing with everyone was so worth it. Result I could go on and on about. But today it made me realize how lucky we are to have a club where you can safely take your family and have a great day. So props to the terrace for creating a great atmosphere.

Duff and mooy are guns. Villa legend can't wait for koren to sneak in.

Mate on the bench for last weeks easy miss?

For sure.

What's with the few guys saying the Heart chants need to go or be phased out? Who gives a shit about some Eurosnob bandwagoners cracking the sads about the Melburnians chanting Heart chants. Melbourne Heart did not fold, it was rebranded and renamed to Melbourne City and it is still the same club most of us have supported the last 5 seasons!

We had/have to deal with the rebranding, you deal with this club still being called The Heart...trust me, you got the better end of the bargain!

So fuck off to anyone who thinks that the Heart chants need to go...Melbourne City FC will always be The Heart.

I agree with what you mean, but not necessarily what you say. Not trying to be rude at all so please don't take me that way but the way I see it there should be a middle ground between honouring the old and attracting the new. Like it or lump it, if we can attract the 'Eurosnobs' attention to the A-League via the likes of Villa and Del Piero and garner enough interest in Aussie football we may be able to bolster our numbers! Getting them to the game puts them amongst the atmosphere active area supporters create, so they might end up staying on after Villa leaves us.

All I mean to say is as football lovers we shouldn't alienate subgroups. Welcome all and our numbers grow strong.

That said I agree that throwing Heart chants in among City chants shouldn't be looked down on by us newer members. You always have to remember where you're from  :D