Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

As a Moderator Hedaick when you posted "Bets on a salary cap post, Parrot is well overdue," that was very poor form by you. Not only is it off topic but you are encouraging a mild form of online bullying where one poster after another makes an off topic post that is hardly friendly about the same Forum member. I expected better from Moderators.

Direct all moderating complaints to sheepdog

• Like 5

I don't buy in to the him playing out of position thing, even when he did play as the ten he did nothing, he is a lazy footballer and playing a few feet forward of a 10 shouldn't make THAT much of a difference with the output you have on the field.

A good manager would know how to motivate or otherwise get the best performance out of a supposed lazy footballer. 

• Like 1

I don't buy in to the him playing out of position thing, even when he did play as the ten he did nothing, he is a lazy footballer and playing a few feet forward of a 10 shouldn't make THAT much of a difference with the output you have on the field.

A good manager would know how to motivate or otherwise get the best performance out of a supposed lazy footballer. 

One name, Mario Balotelli.

- Jose Mourinho called him "uncoachable". Here's a great short video of Mourinho talking about coaching Balotelli:

- Roberto Mancini said of him "But with Mario, it is not easy. What goes in one ear, comes out the other. […] I have no idea what the solution is, but anyone coaching him should be paid double -- a Balotelli indemnity." 

- And of course Brendan Rodgers has utterly failed to unlock consistent good performances from Balotelli

So coaches can only do so much. Some players just have too much attitude and there's nothing coaches can really do... except get new players. Which is why recruitment is such a massive part of football (and a lot of emphasis is nowadays put on the personality/character of players).

Edited by Murfy1

- Jose Mourinho called him "uncoachable". Here's a great short video of Mourinho talking about coaching Balotelli:

- Roberto Mancini said of him "But with Mario, it is not easy. What goes in one ear, comes out the other. […] I have no idea what the solution is, but anyone coaching him should be paid double -- a Balotelli indemnity." 

- And of course Brendan Rodgers has utterly failed to unlock consistent good performances from Balotelli

So coaches can only do so much. Some players just have too much attitude and there's nothing coaches can really do... except get new players. Which is why recruitment is such a massive part of football (and a lot of emphasis is nowadays put on the personality/character of players).

Of course someone like Balotelli might ultimately be unmanageable by most, but most the players we've had that JVS has failed to manage appropriately haven't displayed behavioural/motivation problems anywhere near that of Mario.

Koren's captained a national team and an EPL club, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in terms of not being someone who's displayed constant motivational/attitude problems over the course of his career.

Of course someone like Balotelli might ultimately be unmanageable by most, but most the players we've had that JVS has failed to manage appropriately haven't displayed behavioural/motivation problems anywhere near that of Mario.

Koren's captained a national team and an EPL club, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in terms of not being someone who's displayed constant motivational/attitude problems over the course of his career.

That EPL club captain thing gets dragged out far too much. The fact is Koren was more often on the bench than in the starting XI for Hull in the EPL! so to act like he's a similar talent to other EPL captains is a big exaggeration IMO.

Another way to look at Koren is this: Richard Garcia played 41 games for Hull City in the Premier League, and Robert Koren only played 22!

I probably didn't need to make the general point about attitude-- the point that it's untrue that coaches can always get 'the most' out of players as the attitude of players often gets in the way-- because attitude doesn't have to be talked about with regards to Koren. The simply fact is Koren doesn't have the quality, or he doesn't have much quality left in the final stage of his career. And that's why he was a complete ghost in the last game of the season (against victory), despite playing in his preferred no 10 role, and no other reason but Koren's lack of quality is to blame for the very underwhelming 20 games he played this season.

• Like 2

That EPL club captain thing gets dragged out far too much. The fact is Koren was more often on the bench than in the starting XI for Hull in the EPL! so to act like he's a similar talent to other EPL captains is a big exaggeration IMO.

Another way to look at Koren is this: Richard Garcia played 41 games for Hull City in the Premier League, and Robert Koren only played 22!

I probably didn't need to make the general point about attitude-- the point that it's untrue that coaches can always get 'the most' out of players as the attitude of players often gets in the way-- because attitude doesn't have to be talked about with regards to Koren. The simply fact is Koren doesn't have the quality, or he doesn't have much quality left in the final stage of his career. And that's why he was a complete ghost in the last game of the season (against victory), despite playing in his preferred no 10 role, and no other reason but Koren's lack of quality is to blame for the very underwhelming 20 games he played this season.

Ability wise it gets dragged out perhaps, but there aren't many blokes who've captained National/top division clubs and had constant attitude issues, that's the point I'm making (a quick scan of his Wikipedia page provides a quote from Tony Mowbray describing him as a 'model pro').

I'm not defending Koren's performances (he's been pretty terrible) or saying that he shouldn't take any blame, I'm merely pointing out we've got a manager with a track record of mismanaging and misusing players which seems to heavily contribute to them performing below expectation whilst at our club.

Edited by Embee

As a Moderator Hedaick when you posted "Bets on a salary cap post, Parrot is well overdue," that was very poor form by you. Not only is it off topic but you are encouraging a mild form of online bullying where one poster after another makes an off topic post that is hardly friendly about the same Forum member. I expected better from Moderators.

Direct all moderating complaints to sheepdog My response was going to be "suck my spaghetti noodle cock" but I think we have a special one here.

Fubex qualities are strong...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

With no announcement of his departure, I'm starting to #believe that the media rumours are true and that CFG are not prepared to pay out this blokes contract.

Might be stuck with him for another year.

Hopefully this time he will be selected on form.

What rumours?

With no announcement of his departure, I'm starting to #believe that the media rumours are true and that CFG are not prepared to pay out this blokes contract.

What rumours?

Dauvtovic and Windley have said it in articles (that we would retain him).  I didn't pay much attention to them, but the longer it goes, the more likely they are on to something.  

Very disappointing if true.

What rumours?

Dauvtovic and Windley have said it in articles (that we would retain him).  I didn't pay much attention to them, but the longer it goes, the more likely they are on to something.  

Very disappointing if true.

The club haven't even confirmed the departure or re-signing of those players out of contract yet (Tando, Germano etc), so you never know Koren may perhaps be on that maybe list.

Not only that, why would you pay out a contract if we have no one to replace him? As far as we know they might be looking for a replacement marquee (which they would want to get 100% right before spending the $), and if they get one, then he will be given the flick.

This forum seems to know more about signings than these journos (at least from what they publish).

The club have announced 1 signing, and there's still a long way to go till next season. Who knows what could happen.

Koren signed for two years at around the $600,000 per season (as I recall it). I know he hasn't performed this season, but why, if CFG have a long term commitment and plan, would they pay him out? Even a possible increase in memberships would come nowhere near covering costs. Other clubs have found the ACL has been costly rather than lucrative. And I am unsure how much clubs get for winning the league or grand final.

Perhaps money (including any to be used paying out contracts) would be better spent working on multiple players under the salary cap?

What staggers me is that neither of our marquee signings seems to do anything for the stated or assumed objectives CFG have for City. Neither have done anything so far to improve our chances of being a successful club in Australia and then Asia, neither have any impact on youth development, and I can't see that either have any role in this "brand marketing" stuff. 

I agree that it is rather unlikely that either Koren or Kennedy will be paid out, because that is simply rewarding someone for non-performance. But both IMO should be given a firm kick up the Arsenal for the coming season. I can't see either of them being with us after 31st May 2016 - along with a few others.

What staggers me is that neither of our marquee signings seems to do anything for the stated or assumed objectives CFG have for City. Neither have done anything so far to improve our chances of being a successful club in Australia and then Asia, neither have any impact on youth development, and I can't see that either have any role in this "brand marketing" stuff. 

I agree that it is rather unlikely that either Koren or Kennedy will be paid out, because that is simply rewarding someone for non-performance. But both IMO should be given a firm kick up the Arsenal for the coming season. I can't see either of them being with us after 31st May 2016 - along with a few others.

I want them both gone m8

Koren signed for two years at around the $600,000 per season (as I recall it). I know he hasn't performed this season, but why, if CFG have a long term commitment and plan, would they pay him out? Even a possible increase in memberships would come nowhere near covering costs. Other clubs have found the ACL has been costly rather than lucrative. And I am unsure how much clubs get for winning the league or grand final.

Perhaps money (including any to be used paying out contracts) would be better spent working on multiple players under the salary cap?

I think a marquee player has to make an impact from the get go 

• Like 1

I think a marquee player has to make an impact from the get go 

So do I. I just don't think, and I hope to be proved wrong, that CFG will part with the money to pay out our underperforming marquees.

At the very worst Koren has another season. I'd be prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

With a full preseason, injury free and settled in Melbourne who knows what he can be capable of producing on the pitch. He has zero appeal factor in terms Marketability so on field is what I'm banking on.

Focus on the positives. Hoffman and Redmayne gone 100% after the coming season. Might even be a "you have no future here" treatment as Kalmar got which inevitably means they would want to keave before contract expires. As for our marquees. They will be gone to end of coming season.

I don't think you get any money from winning the league or final, do you? Any financial benefits are probably more good publicity based in terms of attracting supporters and sponsors.

I don't think you get any money from winning the league or final, do you? Any financial benefits are probably more good publicity based in terms of attracting supporters and sponsors.

You do, but last time I saw the prize money it was extremely little (like $100k lol), but this was years ago so it would have increased.

Pretty sure the current information is available somewhere on the FFA site.

IIRC, back then non-finals teams got paid for their league position, and finals teams got paid based on where they end the finals (so if you finish first in the league and exit the finals in your first tie then you really lose out)

Edited by Tesla

June 9, 2015

David Weiner FOX SPORTS

Western Sydney certainly have space, while Melbourne City have the money, but currently have Robbie Koren as their foreign marquee. There are rumours he won’t see out his second year, however. Ironically, a fight for Pirlo could come down to Melbourne v New York – both owned by Manchester City Group!

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/andrea-pirlo-sydney-juventus-midfielder-fits-the-bill-for-an-a-league-marquee-player/story-fnp0lxaw-1227389907324

Edited by Murfy1

June 9, 2015

David Weiner FOX SPORTS

Western Sydney certainly have space, while Melbourne City have the money, but currently have Robbie Koren as their foreign marquee. There are rumours he won’t see out his second year, however. Ironically, a fight for Pirlo could come down to Melbourne v New York – both owned by Manchester City Group!

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/andrea-pirlo-sydney-juventus-midfielder-fits-the-bill-for-an-a-league-marquee-player/story-fnp0lxaw-1227389907324Please be true!!

June 9, 2015

David Weiner FOX SPORTS

Western Sydney certainly have space, while Melbourne City have the money, but currently have Robbie Koren as their foreign marquee. There are rumours he won’t see out his second year, however. Ironically, a fight for Pirlo could come down to Melbourne v New York – both owned by Manchester City Group!

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/andrea-pirlo-sydney-juventus-midfielder-fits-the-bill-for-an-a-league-marquee-player/story-fnp0lxaw-1227389907324

If it's between us and NYC, the only reason we would end up with him is if he is deemed too old for NYC. Do we really want him then?

Last game was in a losing CL final. Sounds awfully familiar.

Edited by Pete Heartspur

Rumours, scuttlebutt and a journalistic "wind up". It's the silly season as the journo says. Pirlo's been approached by SFC and I can't imagine him coming to us if New York is on offer. Like that little rat Villa who couldn't wait to leave the cultural heart of Australia for the hell hole NYC.

Trading Koren in for a proven gun striker is what we desperately need ASAP.

Rumours, scuttlebutt and a journalistic "wind up". It's the silly season as the journo says. Pirlo's been approached by SFC and I can't imagine him coming to us if New York is on offer. Like that little rat Villa who couldn't wait to leave the cultural heart of Australia for the hell hole NYC.

Trading Koren in for a proven gun striker is what we desperately need ASAP.

Couldn't agree more, give me a marquee striker who will put 20+ in the back of the net and watch your club grow.

• Like 2

Koren signed for two years at around the $600,000 per season (as I recall it). I know he hasn't performed this season, but why, if CFG have a long term commitment and plan, would they pay him out? Even a possible increase in memberships would come nowhere near covering costs. Other clubs have found the ACL has been costly rather than lucrative. And I am unsure how much clubs get for winning the league or grand final.Perhaps money (including any to be used paying out contracts) would be better spent working on multiple players under the salary cap?

I don't think you get any money from winning the league or final, do you? Any financial benefits are probably more good publicity based in terms of attracting supporters and sponsors.You do, but last time I saw the prize money it was extremely little (like $100k lol), but this was years ago so it would have increased.Pretty sure the current information is available somewhere on the FFA site.IIRC, back then non-finals teams got paid for their league position, and finals teams got paid based on where they end the finals (so if you finish first in the league and exit the finals in your first tie then you really lose out)

Had a look, couldn't find anything on the FFA site. I wish I were more surprised but that place is a mess.

It doesn't matter who's a worse marquee. The fact is this guy is the highest paid player at the club and on last season's form barely deserves a spot in the starting XI. The marquee position is the one advantage we have over most opposition clubs and it's being wasted with Koren. I don't know how the people running our club can stomach having him on our books for another season.

• Like 1

Is he still here?

I mean seriously, the amount for him to paid out by our overlord, is small change to him

For me, a marquee should either perform on the pitch or be a "name" that attractions attention , ( preferably both) 

Koren has been neither

• Like 2

It doesn't matter who's a worse marquee. The fact is this guy is the highest paid player at the club and on last season's form barely deserves a spot in the starting XI. The marquee position is the one advantage we have over most opposition clubs and it's being wasted with Koren. I don't know how the people running our club can stomach having him on our books for another season.

Also the coach is not under any cap and is probably even more crucial to gaining an advantage than the marquees. 

• Like 1