Melbourne Football

2014-15 MEMBERSHIPS

CaNNaVo93

So after all of this, do members have the right to feel ripped off? More specifically the new members?

No, as the club never declared how long David Villa was staying for and everyone magically assumed it would be 10. 

If you sign up for a club membership just for one player, then you're an idiot.

Just interesting seeing the whinging on facebook from new members, ie "i purchased a membership and booked accom and tickets for my son to go see his favourite player in Melbourne, now I find out he's leaving back to USA. I have emailed the club asking for an explanation and refund for my expenses." I lol'd at this.

I say to this mum what would have happened if Villa was injured? Would she have still have sent angry emails to the club demanding a full explanation and monetary compensation?

While the above example is cleary over the top, I can empathise the disappointment of new members, however as you quite rightly said a membership is a commitment to the team for a whole season. Hopefully by being brought to the club by Villa they can see that the big picture is more than 1 player's guest stint.

• Like 1

So after all of this, do members have the right to feel ripped off? More specifically the new members?

Yes, definitely.

The club actively promoted villa on the membership page and allowed a false impression of the length of his stay. Misleading conduct and to me very disappointing (though weve seen it before). Ok I think everyone on this forum would have signed up regardless but not a lot of new members

• Like 1

No, as the club never declared how long David Villa was staying for and everyone magically assumed it would be 10. 

Just interesting seeing the whinging on facebook from new members, ie "i purchased a membership and booked accom and tickets for my son to go see his favourite player in Melbourne, now I find out he's leaving back to USA. I have emailed the club asking for an explanation and refund for my expenses." I lol'd at this.

I say to this mum what would have happened if Villa was injured? Would she have still have sent angry emails to the club demanding a full explanation and monetary compensation?

While the above example is cleary over the top, I can empathise the disappointment of new members, however as you quite rightly said a membership is a commitment to the team for a whole season. Hopefully by being brought to the club by Villa they can see that the big picture is more than 1 player's guest stint.

Exactly, having Villa at the club was really a bonus to an already top club. Watching Damian Duff is a thrill in itself, and there are positive signs at the very early stages of the season. This club as 'Melbourne City' is only in its infinite stages, I'm sure the oppourtunity will come next season to have another David Villa at the club.

• Like 1

There'll be many reasons why extra ppl have bought a season ticket. The 10 game guest stint by Villa is just one factor IMO. Mostly it will be:

1/ Shit coach Aloisi GONE

2/ CFG buyout and connection with big EPL club Man City

3/ Signing of Duff. He is a name ppl recognise.

4/ New faces in Koren, Mooy and Portaloo. Linked with Jesus arriving in new year.

5/ Better media presence including reporting of pre-season training in ManC. Get's public attention.

If ppl wanted to see Villa then it's as simple as paying your entry fee on the day - no need to buy a season ticket. You can even go the tent and buy a Villa shirt if you want. All in all I reckon the general overhaul of the club and connections with ManC has given us a big boost. Now to deliver on the pitch.

• Like 2

This!!!

Bloody pisses me off that people would have a whing about signing a membership on the basis of Villa paying 10 games .

1- who the fuck does that

2- who the fuck does that

3-  no really, who the fuck does that.

If your one fo these "members" who signed only on the basis of Villa playing for the club and your reading this right now,  than do me a favor.

Hand your FUCKING membership back to the club and FUCK right off back to the hole you crawled out of you fuckin Euro Snobs.

I'd prefer quality over quantity. Thats one of the reasons i've stuck by this club for 5 seasons.

• Like 3

If you sign up for a club membership just for one player, then you're an idiot.

This!!!

Bloody pisses me off that people would have a whing about signing a membership on the basis of Villa paying 10 games .

3- no really, who the fuck does that.

If your one fo these "members" who signed only on the basis of Villa playing for the club and your reading this right now, than do me a favor.

Hand your FUCKING membership back to the club and FUCK right off back to the hole you crawled out of you fuckin Euro Snobs.

I'd prefer quality over quantity. Thats one of the reasons i've stuck by this club for 5 seasons.

Poor attitude. Who cares why they joined, as long as they stay.

Look people sign on for their own reasons whatever they may be. I think the important point of this whole ordeal is to find out whether the club knew villa was leaving after four games yet still made it out like as if he is staying for longer by plastering him to every marketing pamphlet, advertisement etc. This is what I will be really pissed off about, and not some members signing up just because of villa.

• Like 4

Look people sign on for their own reasons whatever they may be. I think the important point of this whole ordeal is to find out whether the club knew villa was leaving after four games yet still made it out like as if he is staying for longer by plastering him to every marketing pamphlet, advertisement etc. This is what I will be really pissed off about, and not some members signing up just because of villa.

Agree with this. I am a rusted on member so it makes no difference to me, but the fact is we are trying to attract as many people as we can and the fact is there are people who did sign up because of Villa. I suspect that for most it was more than just specifically him. I imagine it was more about everything that goes with having him at the club. Statement of intent to play serious football, high level of professionalism, world class club, etc. Then they rock up to our first home, we spend most of the game playing our signature brand of boring passing backwards and sideways only to get one point from a game we should have easily won and now they find out that he is leaving early. Its not a great welcome to newcomers

• Like 2

I don't get this notion that the club made it out as if he was going to be staying longer, that was purely self-driven hype from the supporters' part. All the club did was inform everybody that David Villa would be playing in some capacity through marketing which is understandable and they never elaborated any further than that. 

I'm sorry for my terrible attitude but I don't really want newcomers that are only coming to see big European names, so anyone crying about losing a player who was never actually ours needs to get over it.

I don't get this notion that the club made it out as if he was going to be staying longer, that was purely self-driven hype from the supporters' part. All the club did was inform everybody that David Villa would be playing in some capacity through marketing which is understandable and they never elaborated any further than that. 

I'm sorry for my terrible attitude but I don't really want newcomers that are only coming to see big European names, so anyone crying about losing a player who was never actually ours needs to get over it.

Its not so much that they said he was coming, its more that (it appears) they knew from the get go he wasnt staying for more than 4 games but were happy to have people go along thinking he was staying because it is good to have a name like that attached to the club. Had they been open about his stay people might not feel as angry about it, however it sounds far less impressive when you say David Villa is coming for 4 games which is why I think they didnt bring it up.

As for newcomers (again, i agree that its pretty silly to sign up only because of Villa) but the fact is if we want to grow we need to attract people. We had a great chance to welcome newcomers and make them feel like they are part of something new and exciting but left them feeling flat and possibly cheated. Maybe they will be back, maybe not. I dont know. But this certainly has a familiar taste to it.  

• Like 4

No they didn't, and I'm well aware that they never specifically said how many games he will be playing. But they did allow the hype of him playing for the full ten games to continue and they did exploit this by marketing him on every piece of advertisement. It really is trickery at its best if this is the case. Still waiting for an official statement from the club about the matter, which will probably come by next Fridays game against Adelaide.

• Like 1

If you sign up for a club membership just for one player, then you're an idiot. Just interesting seeing the whinging on facebook from new members, ie "i purchased a membership and booked accom and tickets for my son to go see his favourite player in Melbourne, now I find out he's leaving back to USA. I have emailed the club asking for an explanation and refund for my expenses." I lol'd at this.

While the above example is cleary over the top, I can empathise the disappointment of new members, however as you quite rightly said a membership is a commitment to the team for a whole season. Hopefully by being brought to the club by Villa they can see that the big picture is more than 1 player's guest stint. This!!!

Bloody pisses me off that people would have a whing about signing a membership on the basis of Villa paying 10 games .

3- no really, who the fuck does that.

If your one fo these "members" who signed only on the basis of Villa playing for the club and your reading this right now, than do me a favor.

Poor attitude. Who cares why they joined, as long as they stay.

I dont think its a por attitude. Most of the people who actually signed for those reasons probably wont stick around.

You by a membership to support a clube, not a player

Hahaha, talking about newcomers or say Euro snobs, there were a few young dudes behind us last Sunday chattering about all kinds of sport stuff and it became pretty clear that they don't turn up to HAL games but this was a chance to see Villa. They laughed at mistakes players made and consoled themselves by saying that well what can you expect, it's not EPL we're watching. Then one guy said, in all seriousness,  "AAMI looks a good stadium but it's not the San Siro"  :hkpalm:

Gotta say, games are much more enjoyable, even if we're playing shite, without these kind of guys and their comments. If they don't come again I won't be sorry.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

The club could have easily outlined the rough plans for Villa (he comes in for, say 4-6 games, heads back to NYC/Spain/wherever for a month or so and then hopefully has time to come back and play another few games), which it is now telling us that it knew all along. Why did City not bother doing that, when the hype was in full swing? My guess is either the club is lying and didn't know about it, or it did know, but figured it would be flying at the moment and that the on-field momentum would be enough to keep the membership counter ticking over, Villa or no Villa

For the new sign-ups, I don't think it was just Villa, as you wouldn't sign up for a membership to just see him in 4-6 home games (best case scenario); you'd just buy tickets to those games. But there hasn't been a lot of good news coming out of City since the season started.

It does irritate me though that football pundits are pointing to loan players being called back to their original clubs all the time as a reason that Melbourne City supporters (especially new supporters) should get over the Villa situation. I'd only be guessing, but I don't think many loan players are called back to their original clubs three months before preseason starts and nearly five months before they are due to play a meaningful game. I get that there's no point in people losing their shit with this specific situation and I agree with that. But what does disturb me is the very Heart-esque way that this whole thing was managed by the club administration. Take the website. Absolutely no mention of Koren's injury, even though the cat is out of the bag and we know we won't be seeing him for a while. No other injury reports, from what I can see. I really think that sort of stuff is unacceptable from a professional sporting club and shows a lack of respect to the club's members/supporters.

Hahaha, talking about newcomers or say Euro snobs, there were a few young dudes behind us last Sunday chattering about all kinds of sport stuff and it became pretty clear that they don't turn up to HAL games but this was a chance to see Villa. They laughed at mistakes players made and consoled themselves by saying that well what can you expect, it's not EPL we're watching. Then one guy said, in all seriousness, "AAMI looks a good stadium but it's not the San Siro" :hkpalm:

Gotta say, games are much more enjoyable, even if we're playing shite, without these kind of guys and their comments. If they don't come again I won't be sorry.

Yeah there were a lot of those at the game on Sunday, Man City supporters, Atleti Madrid even saw some Victory snobs which was a bit strange and no I'm talking about Muscat .

I can't help but wonder if things would be different if FFA didn't give CFG such a hard time over certain things ...

Yes, this circus is all the FFAs fault.

CFG purposefully planned to bring Villa over and dissapoint fans by sending him back early, as a means to get back at the FFA.

It was all an elaborate ploy. FUCK THEFFA :droy:

ib1qV.gifib1qV.gifib1qV.gif

Edited by FB.
  • Like 2

Kind of does.

Personally i dont really care if Villa played 10 games or not.Always saw it as a bonus and thats how most people should see it.

Im only dissapointed about the media bashing of the club over this in the last couple of days and the news that Koren is out until December as it has taken away a little of the focus off Derby Week

• Like 1

Now at 10040 not good :(

Hopefully a derby win and announcement that villa will return or a new signing will give numbers a boost

On the other hand, it would be kind of funny if memberships dropped under 10k. And City could embrace the irony, by posting a picture of Villa holding his shirt up, to signify that we were back in four-figure territory. Plus, it would be the kick up the arse that it looks like some of these employees desperately need.

Kind of does.

Personally i dont really care if Villa played 10 games or not.Always saw it as a bonus and thats how most people should see it.

Im only dissapointed about the media bashing of the club over this in the last couple of days and the news that Koren is out until December as it has taken away a little of the focus off Derby Week

That's how most people do see it. The issue is that we clearly can't trust this club to give its members and die hards, let alone casual supporters, information that is clearly important to us. The website is a ghost town. But just wait until we get our first win and City puts up 20 new articles in three days. That's how you'd expect a C-grade amateur footy club to run.

Do we have any official word on when injured players, that could clearly be helping us right now, will return from their rehab? Of course not: that's none of our business, apparently.

The crux of the matter is the issue of trust. Melbourne City have rebranded their club, ditched a large part of their former identity and asked those fans who stuck with them to give them a chance to prove their worth.

They chose not to clarify the nature of Villa's temporary stay for fear of lessening the impact of his arrival. But instead they have made a rod for their own back and, while taking one step forward on the field, they may have taken two back in the battle for hearts and minds.

That sums it up beautifully for me. Koren is bad luck. The circumstances around Villa's departure is really a secondary issue. What is the issue is just how poorly the club has handled letting people, who would love to have faith in it, know what the hell is going on.

After he leaves then. Just got to remember to bring cash next time. Had massive lines to use card and could just walk up and pay cash at beginning of second half. Also Carlton Draught can fuck off. Worst Victorian beer by far.

Guess you've never had Geelong Bitter.

i thought a geelong bitter was cadete after a cats loss??

After he leaves then. Just got to remember to bring cash next time. Had massive lines to use card and could just walk up and pay cash at beginning of second half. Also Carlton Draught can fuck off. Worst Victorian beer by far.

Well youll be pleased to know you wont have to drink it Saturday night and they'll be serving Midstrength

Well youll be pleased to know you wont have to drink it Saturday night and they'll be serving Midstrength

Or you could join the people drinking full-strength in the locker room who watch the game that's right outside the door, on a tv!