Melbourne Football

2014-15 MEMBERSHIPS

CaNNaVo93

I assume Newcastle memberships are free this year...

newcastle actually do quite well with their memberships every season. Last season they reached around 10k iirc

They're not free, but IIRC they are easily the cheapest in the league.

I'm mildly surprised that we have maintained our membership prices at their previous levels. I had anticipated some reduction to stimulate interest in the club.

It could be a case of matching our membership to last season, then the announcement of Villa's arrival to see what impact a guess player of his stature will have on marketing, and membership for the club.

Also I think Villa is more likely to arrive around mid September, given I have just received and email from the club advising of school holiday football clinic programme which would be a great marketing campaign for the club, much like what Villa has done for NYCFC.

Great news about our membership numbers, I can definitely see that the club is heading in the right direction and the supporters are getting on board. What the new owners have shown is that fans, supporters and the general sporting public like to see action rather than a cheesy slogan, we can all remember last seasons "Believe" campaign and we finished bottom of the ladder. The new owners have rebranded the club, fixed the training facilities, signed great long term sponsors in Nike and Etihad, brought in great players Duff, Koren, Mooy, and Villa, and Marketing and membership packages have improved.

I love the way the club is being run now, very professional and the standards have increased significantly.

Just over a month to go til Rd1

• Like 1

Great news about our membership numbers, I can definitely see that the club is heading in the right direction and the supporters are getting on board. What the new owners have shown is that fans, supporters and the general sporting public like to see action rather than a cheesy slogan, we can all remember last seasons "Believe" campaign and we finished bottom of the ladder. The new owners have rebranded the club, fixed the training facilities, signed great long term sponsors in Nike and Etihad, brought in great players Duff, Koren, Mooy, and Villa, and Marketing and membership packages have improved.

I love the way the club is being run now, very professional and the standards have increased significantly.

Just over a month to go til Rd1

Well we still haven't seen or heard anything more about Villa.  And didn't they say we would get someone else before the end of August?

I get messages from MVFC. It doesn't bother me at all. Of course it is seed that is falling on stony ground...but I see nothing wrong in football clubs making an effort to grow the game. In fact I applaud them for doing it. If we're doing them same thing, well, good on us too.

Edited by jw1739

I still think we should be doing the same for when villa comes here

That's a good idea Niko! "The Villa 5"!

In the first 10 rounds we have 5 home games so why not give those Eurosnobs a 5 game membership who would only wanna come to watch Villa but once they get a taste of the A-League they'll come back. I suspect they would be back the following week for the Derby  ;)

IMO a combination of factors. Some disappointment on Koren perhaps, but also the early exit from the FFA Cup, FFA putting the kaybosh on Lampard, not much to get really excited about in pre-season results, no Australian marquee signing, delay in getting merchandise available, and I sensed a slow-down in information flow from the club and a change in "tone" about 6-7 weeks ago (or maybe that is just my "pre-season fatigue").

In fact it puzzles me why anyone is taking out a membership at this particular time - why not wait until the beginning of the season? - there's nothing to be gained by doing it now.

The fact of the matter is that with a 25-week off-season it's very hard to maintain interest. I think under the circumstances the club has done well, but I for one have not seen the changes that I expected, and perhaps other people were also expecting big changes and when these did not eventuate their interest waned a little?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

Seems like the Koren signing was a little underwhelming; that's when the percent% really started dropping. I think many 'on the fence' supporters were hoping for a bigger name!?

30niv61.jpg

Up to 7416 right now.

Good graph showing how the membership take up this year was significantly higher in the early months than last year but, while still probably greater, it has tapered off. We have had a noticeable drop of since the beginning of August - except for the two "blips" when we got members after the Ballarat and Bendigo games. The rate of membership take up seems now to be about what it was last year at this time.

If I knew someone who was good at graphs I would ask him if we could have a comparison one on the weekly take up rate.

Up to 7421 after being 7426 overnight.

Seems like the Koren signing was a little underwhelming; that's when the percent% really started dropping. I think many 'on the fence' supporters were hoping for a bigger name!?

30niv61.jpg

Up to 7416 right now.

Loving your work on the membership numbers RoD.

Your analysis about Koren and Lampard makes sense.  I think the only thing that will get numbers moving again is the arrival of Villa.  If Koren has an impact it will be in the same way as Broich - long term impact by raising the standard of the team.  We'll have to wait and see if that happens.

• Like 2

30niv61.jpg

Up to 7416 right now.

Good graph showing how the membership take up this year was significantly higher in the early months than last year but, while still probably greater, it has tapered off. We have had a noticeable drop of since the beginning of August - except for the two "blips" when we got members after the Ballarat and Bendigo games. The rate of membership take up seems now to be about what it was last year at this time.

If I knew someone who was good at graphs I would ask him if we could have a comparison one on the weekly take up rate.

Up to 7421 after being 7426 overnight. If sitting 60% above last year is tapering off (when we never were more than 30% up on 2012-13 at the same time last year iirc) then I'd think management would believe they are shitting gold with how they are advertising the club

So eager to see how much growth comes when Villa arrives.

Edited by mattyh001

Lot of concern about attendances and memberships on here, but the journey has just begun, at a guess it will take a couple of seasons at least to get the team anywhere near being a contender.

Something CFG is very much aware of.. but as opposed to many on here CFG don´t expect instant success but constant improvements  ;)

30niv61.jpg

Up to 7416 right now.

Up to 7421 after being 7426 overnight. If sitting 60% above last year is tapering off (when we never were more than 30% up on 2012-13 at the same time last year iirc) then I'd think management would believe they are shitting gold with how they are advertising the club

Even though at this current point we're sitting at 66% more members than this time last season, since August 8th (when we were sitting on 106%) we've dropped off 40%, which means there was a greater membership uptake in August 2013 than this year. You gotta ask yourself, is it because with the take-over and Villa announcement that uptake was reflected in earlier months? Or have memberships uptake slowed down because of the lack of signings/communication, lack of news, lack of games in Melbourne and lack of wins (in our matches against A-League opp.)?

30niv61.jpg

Up to 7416 right now.

Even though at this current point we're sitting at 66% more members than this time last season, since August 8th (when we were sitting on 106%) we've dropped off 40%, which means there was a greater membership uptake in August 2013 than this year. You gotta ask yourself, is it because with the take-over and Villa announcement that uptake was reflected in earlier months? Or have memberships uptake slowed down because of the lack of signings/communication, lack of news, lack of games in Melbourne and lack of wins (in our matches against A-League opp.)?

The early uptake was based on HOPE. and HYPE.

HOPE on the part of existing members with CFG behind us that the City way would rub off on us and we'd givevthe finals a shake.

HYPE on the part of casuals and some Euro-snobs when Duff and Villa were announced, and the Lampard rumours.

Then Koren arrived and people went: "Who?"

Then the Lampard deal fell through and people went:" Hmmm, I'll just hold off a bit and see"

Then he FFA Cup failure happened and people wandered:" Same old Heart.."

And here we are.

• Like 2

I had much higher expectations of something emanating from the squad's visit to Manchester. Not only did we seem to play some reasonable football there in the three matches, but I really did think we would pick up one of the players that we trialled, most likely a player from the EDS squad.

Of course, with one visa place still unfilled, that may still eventuate...