Melbourne Football

2014-15 MEMBERSHIPS

CaNNaVo93

So, who said marquee players dont sell tickets/memberships?

Pretty sure that was our CEO. Lol

Incorrect. Scott Munn said that heart would not get a marquee just to sell match tickets. he want on to say that if heart were to get a marquee it would need to be someone who would be beneficial for the club on the pitch.

I cant remember the quote off the top of my head, but my recollection is that he pretty much said (or at least insinuated) that he was more interested in looking at long term team building than bringing in a big name player that comes for a short while and then leaves purely for promotional reasons.

Now at 6,338 at 7:35pm.

Confirmation of Koren signing sure has not set the phones into overdrive, but at the end of the day it wasn't meant to. Its a plan to try and create success on the park, not just the PR value of a bigger name. We already have Villa for that.

One thing is for sure though, once Villa turns up, I see the ramping up of news about the club, but his lack of Fluency in the English language won't exactly make it easy to capaitalise on him for any PR/Interview duties.

Lets hope the move to sign Koren pays off :)

Koren is a football signing not a marketing stunt like the John Aloisi, and M. Mifsud... announcements.

The club is in good hands and all decision are made based on football and on field results... I would have liked a Lampard signing however, he would have signed for a loan deal up until Feb 2015 max and then what?

The Koren signing brings stability to our team and for the first time we have a marquee player that will be here for longer than a season...

• Like 1

Koren is a football signing not a marketing stunt like the John Aloisi, and M. Mifsud... announcements.

The club is in good hands and all decision are made based on football and on field results... I would have liked a Lampard signing however, he would have signed for a loan deal up until Feb 2015 max and then what?

The Koren signing brings stability to our team and for the first time we have a marquee player that will be here for longer than a season...

.....Fred

Seems pretty normal to me. Sport in Aus is dominated by the winter sports and they are getting to the business ends of their seasons. The next big bump will probably be when Villa actually arrives and hopefully the club make the most of it. Oh and there will probably be a big bump once jesus is announced. 

Edited by Dylan

6400. I guess this slowing down is normal at this time of year. Are we expecting to see another flurry around the start of the league season, or does that not tend to happen?

The main reasons for signing on early are basically because you're a bolted-on supporter who's keen for next season, you're automatically rolling over an existing membership, taking advantage of the (albeit miserly) early bird discount, or making sure you get the same seat as last year. There are probably one or two more that I haven't thought of.

After that there has to be some incentive for people to get on board - new star quality signings, a slick marketing campaign, or whatever else. Otherwise, with two full months to go to the start of the season, why would anyone new take out a membership at this particular point in time?

Also remember that Heart has promised much in each of the four previous seasons, but ultimately not delivered. The finish to last season was particularly disastrous for us, and IMO the public are pretty wary of committing their money to us until they see something tangible.

I do strongly believe that up take of memberships will slow right down for now.

All of the hardcore supporters are on the books already.

Others who waited in anticipation of a huge name marque player will think twice before joining.

Perhaps strong beginning oh the season in October may sway them.

I said earlier that 10k was possible, now I don't think it will be.

We going to come close this season.

Next year, membership numbers will 90% depend on match performance

still tracking at 30 a day - if that holds steady with a big take up in October we will be looking good.

I'm sure they will throw in some surplus sky blue polo's as enticements when they discover they cant move them.

Being given one of those would make me consider not joining (if I hadn't already joined)

still tracking at 30 a day - if that holds steady with a big take up in October we will be looking good.

I'm sure they will throw in some surplus sky blue polo's as enticements when they discover they cant move them.

Not so. In July we were putting on 60+ members a day. August so far it's 22 - despite the Koren announcement.

As JW and Jestr say, we need some attention seeking and consistent big noise to give it a boost. I am still hopeful CFG/MCFC will do this and we get to the magical 10,000 by season start.

Present figures from http://www.fromthestandsal.com/membershiptracker/ except ours is from our membership counter as of this morning.

1. Melbourne Victory 12,041
 2. Western Sydney Wanderers 10,315  
 3. Brisbane Roar 9,087  
 4. Sydney FC 6,741  
 5. Melbourne City 6,426
 6. Adelaide United 5,003
 7. Newcastle Jets 4,800  
 8. Perth Glory 3,800
 9. Central Coast Mariners 3,000
10. Wellington Phoenix 1,000

I would say that at the rate we are going we are looking at a figure at Round 1 of about 8,000. The media hype over the possibility of Lampard coming and then ultimately not doing so was not IMO helpful to our cause. Villa coming for, what, five home games(?) will undoubtedly boost attendances but whether that will reflect in memberships I'm not sure. The sky blue issue still swirls around the club and still rankles even bolted-on supporters. This is pretty much the low point in every off-season where the early hype has dissipated, it's still two months until the season starts, and AFL finals hype is starting to build.

IMO a very significant factor from here will be how we go in the Cup against Sydney.

And this sky blue thing has gone far enough - even my new Bayside Parking Permit is in a delicate shade of blue!

Edited by jw1739

The sky blue issue still swirls around the club and still rankles even bolted-on supporters.

These so-called bolted-on supporters need to get over the fucking colours. They aren't changing. Nobody else really gives a shit.

So the supporters that don't give a shit don't give a shit? Is that what you're saying?  

The sky blue issue still swirls around the club and still rankles even bolted-on supporters.

These so-called bolted-on supporters need to get over the fucking colours. They aren't changing. Nobody else really gives a shit.

So the supporters that don't give a shit don't give a shit? Is that what you're saying?  

No its that the supporters don't give a shit about the shit they would've given if they had to give a shit about the shit.

I can't explain it any clearer then that so if you don't understand that i don't know what to say.

Correct. Only the 'bolted-on' supporters care about the colours. Most of the supporters don't care anymore. Or if they do, they aren't as vocal and have accepted the changes.

you obviously didn't see the posts on Melbourne city's Facebook page.

Ok

Lets not start another colour debate..... Again.

It's clear we can't do much about them

Some care, some don't

I support the boys that run out and play for Melbourne city.

Just wish CFG didn't treat us all as bunch of simpleton peasants and lie about not wanting us to look like mini man city.

Lets get on with real football!!

• Like 3