Melbourne Football

***Help Keep the Red & White***

FB.

Ok for starters the blue text I highlighted above suggests that even if they had got approval to change colours to sky blue, they would've maybe consulted the members before releasing a final design.

No chance.

• Like 3

This is not over. The risk is that City will walk away if FFA makes things too hard. Or restrict their support of Heart in terms of marquees, facilities, coaching, etc. There are plenty of opportunities around the world, as their purchase of a stake in Yokohama shows. City does not benefit from Heart as much as we benefit from them.

There is not a chance City will walk away from Heart over this.

They signed a contract for a 20 year licence for the club, they knew FFA would have final say over such matters, and any return of the Heart licence would result in likely legal proceedings from the FFA.

The negative publicity from walking away alone would be devastating to their reputation, and would make many federations weary from allowing them to further invest in other leagues across the world. Can't see it happening, and can't see them taking this to the Supreme Court without further putting the FFA, football public and media offside.

FFA won't budge on the issue, cause if they do they will undermine the entire league and open every HAL club up to offers and complete rebrands from foreign football clubs in the future. It is the right decision from them for the integrity of the league. If going to the supreme court is what is required to get us playing in sky blue then that is what will happen. FFA have played a strong hand, which may come back to bite them as they need city to pump cash in the league to get it to grow. City can still "walk away" by running the club on a shoe string budget like it previously was run and then just focus on NYCFC.

If you think any negative media will tarnish their brand then you are wrong as money and results ( for city not us) are ultimately what people focus on not a small team in a shitty league in a country full of people that don't even like the game. Like I said, they have little ground to challenge the FFA on. The FFA controls nearly all aspects of the A-League, they knew this before buying into it.

The league has experienced significant growth over the past three seasons and is in arguably the strongest shape it's ever been in. The FFA don't need City to grow the league like you say, to grow Heart yes, but not the league and not if the investments come at the expense of the integrity of the league as a whole. FFA has shown many times before it is prepared to cast off owners no matter how many billions they own, if they threatened the integrity of the league as a whole.

And if they put Heart on a drip feed and try to kill the club (like you say) then I can't see how that wouldn't damage their rep. Not sure how anyone could allow them to invest in other clubs in the future, knowing they might do that to their club tbh. But each to their own.

You clearly didn't read what I said. I didn't say the supreme court could or would be able to do anything I said that if going to the supreme court is what required to get the change then that is what they will do. City will do what is required to get what they want.

The benefits of city investing in a club in Australia go far beyond the league itself. The national team stands to benefit significantly from investment in youth development.

As I said above other league's aren't going to care what happens in Australia regarding us. It all comes down to money.

I didn't say they would put the club on a drip feed rather that it is something they could do.

At the end of the day FFA have more to lose than City over this whole buy out.

FWIW I am sure their are many ways for city to walk away without serious legal ramifications.

• Like 1

HAHAHA EAT SHIT YOU CUNTS!!!!!!!

In saying that they'll probably pack up and leave if the new owners don't get there way.....

BUT FUCK IT, FUCK YEAH!! YOUR NOT GETTING RID OF THE COLORS THAT EASY!

Who are you referrring to CUNTS mate?

CFG where probably told that when buying the club there wouldn't be objections to changing the name and colours

They were told wrong and miscalculated the support for Red & White

However, to call them CUNTS just shows you to be one mate!!

Lol sure they were told that, if that's the case you're right their not cunts, they're dumb fucks :up:

Leave the colors alone. Go buy into another club and turn into mini man city :up:

What a fantastic and depressing article. It is great that we are keeping the Red and White but it would have been preferable to have the new owners make that call not the FFA. Now we are going to be subjected to endless years of are we going to switch to Sky Blue. Even more depressing it seems the FFA are standing up for Sydney and not us, the supporters. That there is talk about the supreme court says a lot about the new owners intention of listening to the supporters.

On a side note, I can't believe people are worried about upsetting CFG. If they are these great managers that everyone claims and they have done all their due diligence that everyone claims then they should have been aware of this possibility occurring and planned for it. If they walk away because of this then they where not serious in the first place. Just because you have a lot of money does not mean you can do what you like and I am glad the FFA has stood their ground.

Edited by Rellum
  • Like 3

I fail to see the importance in this.. Does Coca-Cola suffer because their Fanta is promoted as blue&orange instead of red&white? Does their Sprite sell less because it got a green&white label?

Does the national football teams that tend to change colours often like Germany or England find it harder to attract sponsors?

Coke in Argentina is in a green can, which is even a closer example.

I fail to see the importance in this.. Does Coca-Cola suffer because their Fanta is promoted as blue&orange instead of red&white? Does their Sprite sell less because it got a green&white label?

Does the national football teams that tend to change colours often like Germany or England find it harder to attract sponsors?

This comparison is so poor I don't know if I can even be bothered

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Exactly Rellum, it feels as though there is already a feeling that Australia and Melbourne Heart fans owe the City owners for taking us over. Although he ran the club from an operational point of view poorly Sidwell says, and I believe him, that there was enough money to run the club many many years. So in terms of potentially folding that was never going to happen and it was pure speculation. There is a culture within Australia that whenever a club is doing poorly that they should fold. People even suggested Port Adelaide fold despite still getting 17,000+ to games yet they seemed to have turned it around. 

I got off track but my point is we don't owe them for saving us. We were alive and well but we had a rubbish manager. We don't owe the new owners anything because they haven't done anything at all to suggest they are good owners whilst they have taken over us. You can bang on about how good they are in Manchester but until they bring in signings, invest in our club they should be treated with the same respect that any new owner comes in. More cautious than optimism. 

• Like 3

When have England or Germany ever changed home colours?

• Like 2

So this is just like when FFA listened to Heart's complaints about WSWs' red and white away strip and they were told "No" by the league because there already is a club who play in red and white ... oh, hold on, that didn't happen, did it.

This has nothing to do with branding & identity, it is solely to do with the league and FFA pandering to Sydney.

Mind you, I'm all for keeping the Red and White

• Like 6

Coke in Argentina is in a green can, which is even a closer example. Coca Cola comes in a red can in Argentina. Coca Cola Life, which is a lower calorie version similar to Pepsi next, comes in green. Just like Coca Cola Zero is black and Coca Cola Diet is grey here.
  • Like 1

Coke in Argentina is in a green can, which is even a closer example. Coca Cola comes in a red can in Argentina. Coca Cola Life, which is a lower calorie version similar to Pepsi next, comes in green. Just like Coca Cola Zero is black and Coca Cola Diet is grey here.

Coca Cola was originally a green colour mhm mhm *nods*

So this is just like when FFA listened to Heart's complaints about WSWs' red and white away strip and they were told "No" by the league because there already is a club who play in red and white ... oh, hold on, that didn't happen, did it.

This has nothing to do with branding & identity, it is solely to do with the league and FFA pandering to Sydney.

So much this. 

I have been up from 2-4am in the morning making sure that these colours can uniquely be used for us and no one else in the A League safe to say no one has used these colours yet and I would us to use it so it may stay this way!

• Like 6

I have been up from 2-4am in the morning making sure that these colours can uniquely be used for us and no one else in the A League safe to say no one has used these colours yet and I would us to use it so it may stay this way!

KUTGW

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Euro_Shopper_Energy_Drink_cans.jpg

• Like 1

Although I agree that the FFA is completely Sydney focused I think the WSW away kit is a different situation altogether to the one we are facing now. 

If the Heart (under previous ownership) had of decided to make our away kit sky blue I don't think Sydney FC would care at all (as it would seem we didn't about WSW's away kit.) The problem is that our HOME kit would be the same as Sydney's and would feature heavily in worldwide City Group marketing which I'm sure Sydney feel compromises their brand as 'the sky blue team' in a ten side competition. They would likely feel the same if we put forward an away kit of sky blue as City would probably use that in most of their 'City Family' marketing.

But yes, the decision made by the FFA seems to be more about protecting Sydney's identity/uniqueness rather than ours unfortunately.

Edited by King Malta

Other than this current statement,

"The club remains in constructive discussions with the FFA on a range of matters relating to its future plans including its playing strips. On the matter of colours, as we have said previously, any decisions made in relation to the club's identity will be guided by the traditions of our existing fan base, including their passion for red and white, and the opportunities provided by our new ownership."

I can't recall any other single statement from the club that was definitive on the colour issue.

I will hold my opinion until such time.

I am all for keeping the red and white, 100%, but the arrogance of Sydney to argue that Sky Blue can only belong to them, and then the contradictory argument by FFA, when there are so many teams with Red, especially with WSWFFA being allowed red and white(away) after this colour combo was adopted by Heart, is galling, and fully lends itself to the view that the FFA are massively Sydney centric and biased.

Makes me want some sky blue somewhere in our kit just to stick it up em

Shut up bro

Although I agree that the FFA is completely Sydney focused I think the WSW away kit is a different situation altogether to the one we are facing now.

If the Heart (under previous ownership) had of decided to make our away kit sky blue I don't think Sydney FC would care at all (as it would seem we didn't about WSW's away kit.) The problem is that our HOME kit would be the same as Sydney's and would feature heavily in worldwide City Group marketing which I'm sure Sydney feel compromises their brand as 'the sky blue team' in a ten side competition. They would likely feel the same if we put forward an away kit of sky blue as City would probably use that in most of their 'City Family' marketing.

But yes, the decision made by the FFA seems to be more about protecting Sydney's identity/uniqueness rather than ours unfortunately. it really comes down to the home kit, and in the article that's what DeBohun points to as being the issue, having 2 clubs with identical home kits. But before we get all mad at Sydney for having a fit over this, does anyone here think Munn wouldn't have kicked up a shit if WSW's home kit was their away kit?

Edited by Tbitm

Home Kit: Red & White stripes, red shorts

Away Kit: Sky Blue, white shorts

Third Kit: Fan designed (for when we play SFC in Sydney).

Everybody happy, yah? :D

I was up all night designing a third kit for next season, just so it is out of the way and ready to be the first submitted once the window opens.

I present to you.....

MelbourneHeartAway1011.jpg

But yes, the decision made by the FFA seems to be more about protecting Sydney's identity/uniqueness rather than ours unfortunately. it really comes down to the home kit, and in the article that's what DeBohun points to as being the issue, having 2 clubs with identical home kits. But before we get all mad at Sydney for having a fit over this, does anyone here think Munn wouldn't have kicked up a shit if WSW's home kit was their away kit?

No.

Anyone with any intelligence is able to differentiate between two football clubs round about 1000 km apart.

I wonder whether there are many other instances of football clubs objecting to another's kit designs? I think there was something similar by Collingwood when Port came into the AFL?

This whole thing is a put-up job. Sydney were tipped off about City's application. FFA is Sydney-centric, and the appointment of Gallop has made it worse.

I'm sure City will manage this. Heart will go on to great things and I for one hope we smash Sydney to pieces from now on. What a bunch of sooks.

• Like 2

But yes, the decision made by the FFA seems to be more about protecting Sydney's identity/uniqueness rather than ours unfortunately.

Pretty much agree with this.

Shortly after the takeover, Gallop said he was pretty open to discussing changes to Heart's identity (although he did not say that all those would happen). Sydney FC kicked up a fuss, and it looks like that was the deal-breaker. It looks like Man City didn't expect that, perhaps because they misunderstood Australian football politics (and maybe just assumed they'd have a lot of club power, like they have in the EPL).

Although we don't know all the arguments Sydney FC made to prevent Heart from becoming sky blue. It's possible the interests and concerns of us Melbourne Heart supporters were factored into these decisions, as Sydney FC Chairman Scott Barlow has previously explicitly argued that:

"In football, club colours are sacred, and they should represent where a club comes from and not the identity of its owner," Barlow said. "Melbourne Heart fans understand and value the history as to why the club wears red and white, and understandably they would want to protest that."

(http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-in-blue-over-new-melbourne-heart-colours-20140414-zqune.html)

So maybe the concerns of Heart supporters were factored into the decision-making by either the FFA, or perhaps more likely Shaun McCarthy, the independent arbitrator who ruled in favour of keeping Heart red and white.

Even though Sydney FC perhaps had to make the argument for this decision to come about, I nonetheless think that the facts were on Sydney FC's side, and not on the side of Man City. Man City wanted two teams (and two big city teams at that) to have identical home jerseys. And as the FFA explicitly said yesterday, that is too much given the very limited number of 10 teams in the league, in the highly competitive sports market in Australia:

"While the introduction of Manchester City into the A-League is a fantastic opportunity, we made the decision having regard to the fact that we are only a 10-team competition with young brands in a highly competitive environment," said FFA head of A-League Damien de Bohun. "Approving the change would have meant two teams with home shirts of an almost identical colour. We will consider any proposals put forward in the interests of achieving the right balance."

(in yesterday's article http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-hearts-bid-to-become-sky-blue-blocked-after-sydney-fc-object-20140529-zrs76.html)

So objectively I think the appropriate outcome has been reached, which looks after the integrity and the interests of the A-League, even if it perhaps took a somewhat politicised process to reach this outcome, with Sydney FC perhaps being required to speak the facts. But the fact that an independent arbitrator fully supported this decision significantly shows that this wasn't a pure instance of realpolitik (that is, of Sydney purely getting this decision just because they are Sydney. The facts that Damien de Bohun acknowledged in the above statement matter as well).

Although TBH I'm not overly fussed with the process, as I'm just very pleased with the outcome, and I think that it's the right outcome effectively for everyone.

The one issue that might remain is what the CFG want, and if they are willing to kick up a stink over this outcome. I'm not sure that they do, but they conceivably could want to keep pushing this issue along, even though there was a very interesting hint yesterday in Melbourne Heart's statement that they might be prepared to finally respect the traditions of this club and supporters' interests, and keep the home jersey red and white.

What I think is required is certainty. Man City should make clear and certain whether they sincerely want to go down the path of having "any decisions made in relation to the club's identity will be guided by the traditions of our existing fan base, including their passion for red and white", or whether that's a smokescreen and they really want to play us for fools, by saying one thing and doing another, that is actually pushing to make the club sky blue (and I fully agree with others that have said City have been very misleading to supporters with their very carefully crafted statements).

So City should put this matter to rest, and clearly indicate that they will settle to have a red and white home jersey, or they should clearly indicate that they will keep campaigning to make the home jersey sky blue. Because the uncertainty we've persevered through for months over the club's identity shouldn't stretch into next season, and possibly beyond. That would really be good for no one, and Heart's new owners would continue to stir up feelings of ill will if they didn't provide people with certainty regarding this one lingering matter.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

I was up all night from 2-4am designing a third kit for next season, just so it is out of the way and ready to be the first submitted once the window opens.

I present to you.....

Fixed

• Like 2

I'm not sure that I agree with a lot of what you have said Murf without some more details much of what you are suggesting (and everyone else for that matter) is speculation. We don't know what was purposed to the FFA, what dispute resolution processes are in place for applications and therefore what the arbitrator was asked to rule on. I think the one thing you got right though is that it has worked out nicely for all the supporters who didn't want to change colours. I just hope that it doesn't cost us in some way shape or form. I don't think it will but if i was a billionaire I'd get the shits when anyone said no to me (Clive Palmer style) and start my own fucking league.

• Like 1

I still think what the sheik was right and they probably have started manufacturing all the kits, finalized the logo etc. they were probably were not expecting the outcome, meaning they obviously got some kind of guarantee initially and then someone back flipped. That would explain the independent arbiter and the hiring of an SC, so obviously they were pissed. They still employed the previous staff including munn and jd and along with the storm part of the ownership. Therefore, there is no way they didn't understand local issues or 'politics'. There is also no way Munn or JD wouldn't know the reaction from Sydney and I highly doubt that football is any different in terms of politics from the other codes so the storm ownership would know as well. To say they probably didn't know what kind of reaction they would get from Sydney or the fans OR didn't understand the local politics, I think is totally wrong. Someone from the FFA has back flipped.

So with saying all that I think what they will do (and I welcome this) is have both red and white and sky blue kits and we won't have a home or away kit persay, they will probably alternate at home and away games, to test the resolve of the Sydney FFA .

• Like 1

I'm not sure that I agree with a lot of what you have said Murf without some more details much of what you are suggesting (and everyone else for that matter) is speculation. We don't know what was purposed to the FFA, what dispute resolution processes are in place for applications and therefore what the arbitrator was asked to rule on. I think the one thing you got right though is that it has worked out nicely for all the supporters who didn't want to change colours. I just hope that it doesn't cost us in some way shape or form. I don't think it will but if i was a billionaire I'd get the shits when anyone said no to me (Clive Palmer style) and start my own fucking league.

The gist of my arguments above are that there's no clear evidence that "This whole thing is a put-up job", and that Sydney just got this decision because they are Sydney. There are very plausible alternatives, like the ones I outlined, which incorporate the specific statement that A-League CEO Damien de Bohun made. Now feel free to disbelieve those plausible alternatives, but my point is it hasn't been proven what precisely lead the FFA and the independent arbitrator to reach the decisions they did (and their very statements suggest a very plausible alternative to the "Sydney FC carve up" hypothesis).

The outcome is good for supporters who just want the home jersey to remain red and white.

What I think gets overlooked a lot is that numerous supporters like myself are perfectly willing to compromise on other matters, if the home jersey will remain red and white. I'm fine with:

- The club being renamed to Melbourne City FC

- The club crest being completely changed

- The alternative strip changing

- The club philosophy being tweaked

- The club's communication strategy going from the previously rather open strategy under Sidwell and co., where there were fan forums and Munn and Didulica doing regular interviews with the media, to the current clammed up media strategy, where there's none of that.

And many more changes I can't even think of, but I'm sure City have, I can see myself going along with other changes as well.

So it's my stance that supporters like myself have been very conciliatory and very open to compromise overall, but were not willing to compromise on this one not-too-big issue. Now that the home jersey will remain red and white, at least for next season it seems, I'm personally not that fussed what other changes City will undertake, and I'm starting to be pleased to see what changes they bring about again (rather than being weary and cautious to see Man City would do).

I also hope it doesn't cost us in any way shape or form, but I believe that it won't. Man City aren't known for doing things in half-measures, so I expect them to make the long list of changes listed above, and to fully develop the club like they originally planned (bar the 1 detail of the home jersey).

To say they probably didn't know what kind of reaction they would get from Sydney or the fans OR didn't understand the local politics, I think is totally wrong. Someone from the FFA has back flipped.

You see, the above is completely unproven. There's no evidence that the FFA 'backflipped' anymore than than saying they were 'happy' to discuss changes, but they ultimately didn't go through with changes to Heart's identity. I think one valuable lesson to take away from this saga is that Manchester City are fallible. They are not perfect, like some seem to think, and this looks to me like a classic miscalculation (not of the same scale of their stadium stuff up in New York City, but still a genuine mistake). Whilst I'm sure City will do things very well, and they might indeed set new standards for football management in Australia, they will now and again stuff up. So the myth of Man City being perfect with their knowledge, their decisions and their actions should see to be believed, so a more realistic understanding of Man City can be adopted.

Edited by Murfy1

I am happy that the Red & White will stay. Also I am very disappointed how CFG have gone about trying to change without discussing with the Heart fans. Hopefully a line can be drawn and everyone can move on together.

I will apologise if I offended people in one of my previous posts. It was just that particular post I quoted got my back up and I thought it was unnecessary. I have always supported you fans on the issue of your colour.

• Like 1

Woohoo, Some good news at last 

Keeping the colours is what we all want.

Citeh saying they could go to court is annoying - who do they think they are !! they initially said that MHFC would not become a Mini Man City ..... Wanting to change name and colours is trying to turn Heart into a Mini Citeh

Im delighted that it will not be happening (yet) 

Keep The Colours - Keep The Heart - Keep The Fans 

To much flapping around here at the moment.. :lol:

But yeah, it being off-season no one have much else to discuss I guess, personally I´m happy about you lot being able to keep the colours (for now at least) as I see sky-blue as something Mancunian in my football world and I´m sure there are Napoli fans having the same view in Italy about their sky-blue.
Will it change anything?.. Apart from pure design stuff I can´t really see it changing anything, the guys involved will simply keep doing what they always do at the behalf of CFG, some marketing guys might mutter about it being a nuisance but nothing is ever very straightforward in this game.
It´s not like Yokohama FM would ever change their name and colours to suit something else at a guess, despite being part owned by CFG.

I predict that in the coming weeks things will unfold as planned in regards to everything but the home-shirt but that´s a minor hiccup -_-

I still think what the sheik was right and they probably have started manufacturing all the kits, finalized the logo etc. they were probably were not expecting the outcome, meaning they obviously got some kind of guarantee initially and then someone back flipped. That would explain the independent arbiter and the hiring of an SC, so obviously they were pissed. They still employed the previous staff including munn and jd and along with the storm part of the ownership. Therefore, there is no way they didn't understand local issues or 'politics'. There is also no way Munn or JD wouldn't know the reaction from Sydney and I highly doubt that football is any different in terms of politics from the other codes so the storm ownership would know as well. To say they probably didn't know what kind of reaction they would get from Sydney or the fans OR didn't understand the local politics, I think is totally wrong. Someone from the FFA has back flipped.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

We'll hear more about this for sure.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

We'll hear more about this for sure.

Gallop totally read my email, claiming it  :lol:

IF the FFA have back-flipped, and this can be proven, then in a court of law it may well be an easier case to make for CFG. I would expect quite a few lawyers are looking at the contract, agreements and associated previous discussions very closely right now, whilst the club takes steps to try and gain a compromise for the short to medium term. If it doesn't get what it wants in some shape or form, thats when things may get messy,

Whether SFC had stronger influence on the FFA is certainly an interesting point of consideration. A few billionaires trying to make a point is never going to end well :)

IF City were given some sort of indication/guarantee about rebranding some time before the takeover, it would've been misguided of them to seek it, and improper of the FFA to give it.

The way it has played out is exactly how it should have. If you want to change colours etc, you need to seek approval from the FFA and the FFA should then take into account all the relevant stakeholders - clubs, fans, sponsors and whoever else is affected by the potential changes.

In this case, it would've had a detrimental effect on one of the competitions existing clubs, and was opposed by supporters. Rejecting the colour change was absolutely the right decision and the owners have to suck it up. I'm so glad to see that the FFA isn't prepared to bend over to any wealthy owners who think they can do whatever they want regardless of the effect on the competition and it's stakeholders. (Especially the fans!) I certainly wasn't expecting them to knock City back.

And I'd be surprised if it ended up in court at all. Sometimes threatening legal action is used to try to get what you want rather than actually being able to go through with it.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

IF City were given some sort of indication/guarantee about rebranding some time before the takeover, it would've been misguided of them to seek it, and improper of the FFA to give it.

The way it has played out is exactly how it should have. If you want to change colours etc, you need to seek approval from the FFA and the FFA should then take into account all the relevant stakeholders - clubs, fans, sponsors and whoever else is affected by the potential changes.

In this case, it would've had a detrimental effect on one of the competitions existing clubs, and was opposed by supporters. Rejecting the colour change was absolutely the right decision and the owners have to suck it up. I'm so glad to see that the FFA isn't prepared to bend over to any wealthy owners who think they can do whatever they want regardless of the effect on the competition and it's stakeholders. (Especially the fans!) I certainly wasn't expecting them to knock City back.

And I'd be surprised if it ended up in court at all. Sometimes threatening legal action is used to try to get what you want rather than actually being able to go through with it.

Agree. The FFA made the right call taking all concerned parties into consideration.

I am happy if we are to keep the red and white.

I have grown to dislike Man City through this take over. Before hand I was neutral about their involvement. I would be happy to see them walk away and have owner's take over who want to invest in Melbourne Heart.

I suspect there will be change, but it will be great to see the red and white home strip remain. Not to mention be worn in all derby's, assuming the away kit is blue.

It is just a shame Man City don't appear to value us supporters.

• Like 2

Don´t worry Peter, they could always sell their holdings to South Melbourne.. ;)

But seriously, the problem is not that CFG don´t want to invest, rather the opposite. If they had no thoughts about spending seriously they would hate the idea of the team playing in sky blue.

I was up all night designing a third kit for next season, just so it is out of the way and ready to be the first submitted once the window opens.

I present to you.....

MelbourneHeartAway1011.jpg

damn Im creative guy....no need on a graphic designer!

• Like 1