Melbourne Football

Matchday 19: vs Wellington @ Westpac Stadium - Sunday 16th February - 3pm EDT

cadete

Sunday, 16 February 2014

Wellington Phoenix v Melbourne Heart

Westpac Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand

Kick-off: 5:00pm local (3:00pm AEDT)

Referee: Jarred Gillett <-- NOT GOOD!  <_< 

Melbourne Heart FC Squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 4.Orlando ENGELAAR, 6.Patrick GERHARDT, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 10.Harry KEWELL ©, 11.Michael MIFSUD, 13.Jonatan GERMANO, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Aziz BEHICH, 17.Jason HOFFMAN, 19.Benjamin GARRUCIO, 20.Tando VELHAPI (GK), 21.Stefan MAUK, 22.Nicholas KALMAR, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO

***Two to be omitted***

Ins: 4.Orlando ENGELAAR (returns from suspension), 11.Michael MIFSUD (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Also, I don't mean to alarm anyone, but we've got no injuries or suspension across an entire squad. 

Don't jinx it!! :P

Kewell has supposedly broken his toe according to sharpy news, he looked pretty proppy against Perth so i wouldn't mind him being given a rest this week considering how well mauk played. mauk and Orlando as the midfield bosses'

I fairly confident that we can win this because I just don't think Wellington are an especially fearsome opponent. They took 11 games to get their first win, and had 6 losses over the first 10 games, they are just 6th now (3 points above the Jets who are 9th, and 8 points above us), I still believe they have a pretty weak squad (who pretty much have been playing to the best of their abilities) and I also think the only stunning result of theirs was the win against WSW (otherwise, the wins they have chalked up include games against Sydney, the Jets and Heart under JA).

Whilst Heart are going from strength to strength under JVS. Under JVS our record is D, L, W, D, W, W, confidence will be high after beating Perth (a bogey side for us) in tough conditions interstate in Albury, we also won without talisman Kewell on the pitch, Engelaar will return for this match and we have a better squad than Wellington IMO.

We have 2 matches remaining against Wellington (1 away, 1 at AAMI), and both are important to move up the ladder, and both are winnable. Even if we just beat Wellington at AAMI and draw this weekend, we'll be in fairly good shape, but if we win both games we'll have great chances to move up the ladder.

With the team we have, the coach we have and our good form, I'm confident we can win this match.

There also was that 5-0 smashing of Victory....

No way is this a foregone conclusion.  Wellington are my smokies for the Grand Final

A draw would be good outcome.

Think it will be a straight swap Kewell with Orlando for the starting 11. As well as Mauk played Germano and Mass work very well together.

So basically you expect us to line up without a striker?

Not saying that's bad or wrong, but there's a lot of opportunity this week for JVS to take many different approaches...

You could argue Willo deserves a start;

Germano - Engelaar - Mass

Mate - Williams - Rambo

Play Mate as CF in a 4-4-1-1 and try control midfield;

Germano - Engelaar - Mass - Rambo

Mauk/Williams

Mate

Drop a winger and play 4-4-2 with Mate drifting wide and Behich high;

Germano - Engelaar - Mass

Mauk

Mate - Williams

Start Mifsud (lol), start Garuccio, you never know it's not always so straight forward...

I fairly confident that we can win this because I just don't think Wellington are an especially fearsome opponent. They took 11 games to get their first win, and had 6 losses over the first 10 games, they are just 6th now (3 points above the Jets who are 9th, and 8 points above us), I still believe they have a pretty weak squad (who pretty much have been playing to the best of their abilities) and I also think the only stunning result of theirs was the win against WSW (otherwise, the wins they have chalked up include games against Sydney, the Jets and Heart under JA).

Whilst Heart are going from strength to strength under JVS. Under JVS our record is D, L, W, D, W, W, confidence will be high after beating Perth (a bogey side for us) in tough conditions interstate in Albury, we also won without talisman Kewell on the pitch, Engelaar will return for this match and we have a better squad than Wellington IMO.

We have 2 matches remaining against Wellington (1 away, 1 at AAMI), and both are important to move up the ladder, and both are winnable. Even if we just beat Wellington at AAMI and draw this weekend, we'll be in fairly good shape, but if we win both games we'll have great chances to move up the ladder.

With the team we have, the coach we have and our good form, I'm confident we can win this match.

There also was that 5-0 smashing of Victory....

No way is this a foregone conclusion.  Wellington are my smokies for the Grand Final

A draw would be good outcome.

Yeah, Sydney FC also did that...

• Like 2

Jarred Gillett is refereeing - this is the external random factor that will render all forecasts meaningless, all planning by the coaches and training by players to be pointless. Worst referee in the A-League IMHO. Who will win? It is impossible to determine because Gillett is on the pitch.

This.

However, I reckon we are going to take 3 points and finally win away proper

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

Tea leaves forecast Williams and Orlando to return to starting XI. Mauk to drop to bench

Do your tea leaves indicate that someone else will be left out or will we try to sneak 12 on the field?

I think it is implicit that Kewell will also miss

No one enjoys wellington away. Should be a tough game, it is a massive game. :If we lose, finals will be too hard, but if we win, we can give it a good crack!
Im looking forward to what will be 'Game of the week'   :up:

Edited by Demon_Heart

Very difficult match to predict. We haven't beaten this mob for over two years, and we still haven't won away from home for as long as I can remember. They are on a roll. Our recent wins have all been against pretty mediocre opposition. In our favour is the return of Engelaar (but it's hard to say what his impact might be over a full match) plus we are building some confidence.

IMO we'll be doing well to obtain a draw.

If Kewell is out.

Redders

Hoff Wielaert Paddy Aziz

Orlando Mass

Germano

Rambo Duga Mauk

Subs;

Williams, Garruccio, Kalmar, Gerhardt, Tando

With that team we will be fucking hard to break down. It's just a matter of whether we could muster up a few goals between Ramsay, Duga, Mauk, Garruccio, Williams and Kalmar whenever they are on the pitch. My head says 1-0 Phoenix. Heart says 1-0 Heart. Fairly confident that 1-0 will be the scoreline. Just depends on what side of the scoreline we are on. Knicking a goal early on could be key to our chances.

• Like 1

Melbourne Heart captain Harry Kewell out of Phoenix A-League trip with toe injury

Matt Windley

14 February, 2014

MELBOURNE Heart’s late season resurgence has hit a snag with captain Harry Kewell to miss Sunday’s clash with Wellington Phoenix because of a toe injury.

Kewell, who has been instrumental in Heart’s unbeaten run of four matches that has suddenly catapulted the club back in to finals contention, may even miss next weekend’s home game against Brisbane Roar due to the injury he picked up in the second half of last weekend’s win over Perth.

Marquee midfielder Orlando Engelaar could be a straight swap for the 35-year-old after serving his one-match suspension last week.

Heart coach John van ‘t Schip this morning indicated Engelaar would come straight back in to the team for the game at Westpac Stadium, which could mean Jonatan Germano pushes further forward and Stefan Mauk — impressive last week in his starting debut — retains his place in the side.

Maltese striker Michael Mifsud has also been named in an extended squad.

“There’s going to be a change with Harry, Harry’s not going to be available, so we’ll have someone else playing up front,” van ‘t Schip said.

“Harry has a problem with his foot. Hopefully he’s going to be back in 10 days, let’s just say, so I don’t think Brisbane is going to be on the program for now. Hopefully he can recover quickly from that and we’ll keep him working hard in conditioning, doing the things he can do.

“It’s a problem that has to rest. It’s something that can’t be forced in getting him on to the pitch, he needs a period of rest and he can kick off again from there.”

Van ‘t Schip, who has a record of three wins, two draws and a loss since taking over from John Aloisi in Round 13, said he was reluctant to change what has been a winning formula too drastically.

“There are a few possibilities we can do,” he said.

“We don’t want to change that much in terms of positions but if players are not available then of course we will.

“Looking at the squad we’ve seen players come in do exceptionally well. Benny Garuccio has come in and done well, David (Williams) has done well, Nicky Kalmar also. That’s all very positive in that if we have to replace a player or if a player is not in form then we have players who can step in and give the team a good help.”

Heart’s game against the Glory last Sunday was played in 41 degree conditions in Albury.

But van ‘t Schip said his players had recovered fine from the scorching heat and said the team had prepared normally this week even ahead of the long trip across the Tasman.

“We tried to do the same things. It’s still a good week of preparation, it’s not like we are playing two or three days after like in Europe where they have the Champions League or Europa League or whatever, we still have six days preparation for the next game,” he said.

“We have to look at the group of course. Looking at the group maybe you decide to give a little bit more (training volume to certain players) or sometimes a little bit less, but that’s nothing different.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-captain-harry-kewell-out-of-phoenix-aleague-trip-with-toe-injury/story-fnk9a3dc-1226827009575

Edited by Murfy1