Melbourne Football

Matchday 19: vs Wellington @ Westpac Stadium - Sunday 16th February - 3pm EDT

cadete

Can't see why we can't beat this mob, Mass will have Carlos is his pocket. 1-0 boring grind out win.

Whoa...no such thing when we're wearing the away kit. And has it really been a year since we had a win while also keeping a clean sheet? If it ends up 1-0, I'll be doing cartwheels.

Melbourne Heart’s Rob Wielaert knows Stein Huysegems, Carlos Hernandez will be tough to stop

Matt Windley

February 15, 2014

IF ANYONE is going to stop the goalscoring force that Stein Huysegems has become it’s Melbourne Heart defender Rob Wielaert.

Wellington’s Huysegems has been in prolific form this season and currently tops the A-League scorers chart with nine goals from 18 games.

But Wielaert, who will captain Heart against Phoenix today in the absence of the injured Harry Kewell, knows Hugsegems better than most having played alongside the 16-time Belgian international in Holland.

After time spent as teammates at both FC Twente and Roda JC Kerkrade, Wielaert knows the ins and outs of the striker’s game and plans to exploit that knowledge at Westpac Stadium.

“He wasn’t always in the starting 11,” Wielaert reflected.

“But at Twente when he first came I think he scored in the first four or five games so he’s a dangerous player, especially when he has the confidence and I think he has the confidence right now.

“He’s a very good guy and he’s a smart player. He’s strong on the ball, has a good left foot _ his right foot is not that strong _ but he can turn quick, he can shoot and he has the forward runs.

“And especially with (Carlos) Hernandez there, that is a good duo.”

Wielart said he alone cannot stop Huysegems today, especially given the form of Costa Rican, Hernandez.

The former Melbourne Victory fan favourite has been unstoppable of late and currently leads the Herald Sun player of the year award.

Wielaert said stopping Hernandez in his tracks was vitally important to also quelling the influence of Huysegems.

“With football it’s all a team effort,” he said. “If you let Hernandez play those balls then it’s hard to defend Huysegems so it has to be a team effort.

“That’s why we’ve been playing well in the last few weeks because we’ve been playing as a team.

“We’re performing well now, but we still haven’t got an away win, so that is our next goal for the Wellington game.

“Wellington is also in good form, they’ve got some very good players, but we are confident.”

Although technically Heart’s interstate hoodoo was broken with the 2-1 win against Perth in Albury, its status as host last week still means the team has not won an ‘away’ game since Round 1 of last season.

Pressed for an explanation as to why Heart has struggled away from AAMI Park, Wielaert was unable to identify one reason for the club’s travel woes.

But the Dutchman was confident that record would be turned around soon.

“There shouldn’t be a big difference between an away game and a home game, but I think we’re going to win this Sunday.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-hearts-rob-wielaert-knows-stein-huysegems-carlos-hernandez-will-be-tough-to-stop/story-fnk6pqhd-1226828217747

Edited by Murfy1

Really nice line-up there from JvS, seems like we'll try out muscle Welly and make a real play at the 3 points.

Looks like that flexible formation he's played in the past which can go from a 4-3-3 to a 3-4-3 and 5-4-1 on transition...

Redmayne

Hoffman, Wielaert, Kisnorbo, Behich

Engelaar, Gerhardt, Murdocca

Dugandzic, Williams, Williams

If we win this I will be amazed and stoked. I think it's great that Heart are playing so much better and winning a few games because it shows that Heart was not a lost cause before City bought us. We really need a couple of wins away at least before the end of the season to really emphasise this though. 

I've caught the optimism bug. Changing my prediction to Heart 2 - 0.