Melbourne Football

Mark Bresciano

Murfy1

There many ways around it....

Or obtains a consultative role off field for CIty/Storm owners I.e. James Hird was a stockbroker (in name only) for during his captaincy at Essendon. Chris Jud etc

Fcuk Hird the narcissist, chemical induced 'suntanned' twat. He should be behind bars for presiding over the injection of chemicals that had not been cleared for human use :up:

This...

At least at Carlton blokes like Big Jack know that they are kents...

Even after his ban is over, he can't play with us... His contracted elsewhere.

You're right he's contracted until approx. June 2015. 

There are a few ways around it, though. For instance, we could get Bresciano on loan once his ban has finished, and then sign him in the summer transfer window buying him from his current Qatari club.

If Heart has ever had a long term target, it's Bresciano. And understandably, as there are few good 'golden generation' Socceroos left (probably just Cahill, Bresc and maybe Kennedy. McDonald is the only other credible Aussie marquee), and Bresciano is a very good player, with a lot of top European and international experience and he's also a Melburnian. He's a pretty good age, and will largely be 34 next season and largely 35 the second after (IMO Bresc could provide at least 2 quality seasons as an Australian marquee).

Would be pretty pleased if we signed him. Then we could maybe bring in an international marquee forward.

• Like 1

Would much prefer Scott McDonald to Mifsud actually!

They are complete opposites, one can't score for his country, but smashes it for his club and the other one is the opposite! Unfortunately, Heart got the opposite  <_<

Have Bresciano as Aussie Marquee and Macca as International Marquee (I'm sure an Australian can be an INTL marquee).

They are complete opposites, one can't score for his country, but smashes it for his club and the other one is the opposite! Unfortunately, Heart got the opposite  <_<

Have Bresciano as Aussie Marquee and Macca as International Marquee (I'm sure an Australian can be an INTL marquee).

Enjoyed watching McDonald in his time at Celtic but I would prefer we chased a tradtional tall Centre Foward who can hold the ball up as well score goals.

• Like 3

Or obtains a consultative role off field for CIty/Storm owners I.e. James Hird was a stockbroker (in name only) for during his captaincy at Essendon. Chris Jud etc

Fcuk Hird the narcissist, chemical induced 'suntanned' twat. He should be behind bars for presiding over the injection of chemicals that had not been cleared for human use :up:

Hirds a legend mate jog on :up:

He's guilty of negligence and thats it, dank is the man who should be thrown behind bars

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

Delighted that Bresh is training with us rather than anyone else. Doesn't matter to me whether he ultimately plays for us (although that would be great) - he strikes me as the sort of bloke and player that can only do good around a club in terms of what will rub off on to younger players in particular.

• Like 1

Enjoyed watching McDonald in his time at Celtic but I would prefer we chased a tradtional tall Centre Foward who can hold the ball up as well score goals.

Holt or Iaquinta

• Like 1

Hirds a legend mate jog on :up:

He's guilty of negligence and thats it, dank is the man who should be thrown behind bars

Whole team except Gumbleton should be behind bars and playing for the prison team with Milne

Rubbish! Essendon was only guilt of getting caught and the AFL had to find a scape goat. The pies did it, and Lions. We even used the same docs, flew into same clinics etc.

If hird knew what was being injected into the players he would've stopped what dank was doing right there and than. The problem was hird didn't investigate it enough and just ticked off on whatever dank wanted to do to the players. Thats why he's guilty of negligence, if anyone believes that hird would intentionally try and cheat they know nothing about the man. Essendon also went to the AFL when they realised there was an abnormility in there training methods. Can't say most other clubs would do that if they were in as much shit as we were.

For the sake of everyone on here i won't say anymore about it and i'll stay on topic.

• Like 1

So your saying that if you commit a crime or break rules it should be legal if there are other people that commit the same act but don't get caught??

Essendon were guilty, they toed the line intentionally and when you tie the line you put yourself at the mercy of luck.

IMO, what was worse was their contempt upon getting caught and their belief that they could take a gangland lawyer approach and say prove it.

My belief is that they knew they were guilty, but also knew there was insufficient evidence to nail them if it ever came to court, so they denied it as plausibly as they could get away with.

• Like 2

EDIT: had written a little more here but can't be bothered dragged the discussion any longer!

Anyway, no offense but I've had a gutful of the situation, the people involved and the entire football club, let's stick to the Heart here lads!

Edited by King Malta

So your saying that if you commit a crime or break rules it should be legal if there are other people that commit the same act but don't get caught??

Essendon were guilty, they toed the line intentionally and when you tie the line you put yourself at the mercy of luck.

IMO, what was worse was their contempt upon getting caught and their belief that they could take a gangland lawyer approach and say prove it.

My belief is that they knew they were guilty, but also knew there was insufficient evidence to nail them if it ever came to court, so they denied it as plausibly as they could get away with.

The burden of proof is on the prosecution my friend. Show me the positive tests and then we will talk. Until then take your idiotic trial by media approach discussion to those who should be on trial for vitriol and slander like that idiot Wilson.

• Like 1

Just for the record dental malpractice are treated similarly to the drugs in sport. If a dentist is accused of malpractice there is an investigation, a report is submitted to the Dental Board which then has the power to issue warnings, fines and even the withdrawal of a practicing license. A 'simple' investigation usually takes six months before a report is submitted. The report can be about 2,000 pages where each sentence  has been vetted by a lawyer. The Dental Board members have to read this report and then deliberate. So for a 'simple' dental malpractice charge can take about 9 months for a final deliberation. ASADA has had to deal with two clubs and maybe about 80 people involved - quite a few with heavy duty lawyers so I am not expecting any formal resolution before the end of December.

I'm 50-50 on Bresc.

This is a physical league and the players are getting fitter and the game is getting faster.  OTOH Bresciano is getting older, slower (never was quick to begin with), and likely to be more injury prone.  I know some will say his quality on the ball will make up for it, but lets use Kewell as a guide.

Kewell has played a few decent games, but too few and he has looked slow at times- couldn't out run Gallas FFS.  Nor has he been able to complete 90 minutes regularly.

IF we get an Australian marquee we should look at no-one else other than Kennedy.

• Like 1

Lol Kennedy over Bresciano fuck me dead this forum sometimes.

We need Kennedy alot more than we need Bresciano. Recruiting players that aren't the most required or recruiting for a name or for fear of missing out on a quality player can get teams into trouble. We have many more positions on the pitch which need to be dealt with.

As Bela (I think it was) keeps saying, it is a weakest link game. We need to replace the weakest link in the team then the seconf then third and so on.

• Like 5

Should we start a Josh Kennedy thread?

Its not really a Kennedy vs Bresciano choice.  Might be able to get both, might be able to get neither.  Team balance is the key, not just in player type/style but age and injury risk as well.

We all know what we love about Kennedy.  What I don't like about Kennedy is his lack of mobility (by his choice it seems).  A tika taka team probably needs a mobile striker more than a target man I think.  Having said that I believe he would still make an impact on the league.

Lol none of the three above will even get a sniff with the new owners...

I don't think the new owners are going to go as gung ho as everyone expects.

We have a salary cap. It limits the amount they can go gung Ho.

They will need to be smart. You can't just throw money to get a squad. If the news Mooy has joined without being an Aussie Marquee is true that's a significant start.

The Marquee, Australian Marquee and Young Aussie Marquee they can go nuts on. The rest is about being smart and tactical.

The position of Manager is most critical and putting support around him being the best.

Lol none of the three above will even get a sniff with the new owners...

I don't think the new owners are going to go as gung ho as everyone expects.

I agree with the fact we won't have massive changes to the playing list as your saying however, i have this eerie feeling when it comes to the club name, logo and colors they might just go gung ho and change them  :unsure:

Scott Mcdonald> Josh Kennedy IMO

Not if we are playing with 3 up front.

True, but whoever the coach is next season surely will change the line-up to suit Scott if we get him? Even with Misfud by himself for most of the season he has been able to have some very good chances, 3 up front can still work with scott.

Bfsh4S9CYAEUfMI.jpg

Would be really pleased if we signed Bresc. He's a fantastic technical player, a great passer and a midfield boss. Also, he'll mostly be 34 next season, and mostly 35 the season after that, which are fine ages. And since he's a midfielder, age isn't so much as issue as it is for forwards like Kewell (and even though Kewell can't outpace opponents anymore, he still can add a lot to an A-League team).

There are very few Australian players that are really worthy of an Australian marquee spot, and in my opinion Bresc is the best option. Also, I reckon it would be most worthwhile to use the international marquee deal on a striker, which would especially make signing a midfielder like Bresc as our Aussie marquee a very good idea.

• Like 1

Bresciano admits he's not in top condition

February 17, 2014

Angela Habashy

Socceroos midfielder Mark Bresciano admits he's not in the best condition but he still hopes to get some valuable game time when Australia face Ecuador next month.

The veteran has been training with A-League side Melbourne Heart while he serves the remainder of his four-month FIFA ban over an alleged illegal transfer, which ends mid-March.

While he is not allowed to play competitive fixtures he is able to play friendlies so is eligible for selection when Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou names his 23-man squad next week for the March 5 friendly against the South Americans in London.

Bresciano hasn't played a game since Australia's 1-0 victory over Costa Rica in November and says while he's been training hard, he may not be match fit.

Asked if he thought he'd get a call-up he said: "Honestly I don't know because my last game was in November when I was with the Socceroos.

"I'd love to be part of the team but to be honest I don't think I'm in the best condition to play.

"I'm not saying that I don't want to play, I think it could be good to have a hit-out and have a competitive game against Ecuador."

Postecoglou wouldn't be drawn on whether Bresciano would be named next week, but admitted it may take some time for the key midfielder to get back to his best.

"I hope he can hit the ground running but it may take him a few games until he can find some form," he said.

"He's definitely an important part of what we do so I'm really keen on him to start playing again."

Bresciano admitted he ideally wanted to train with a club in Italy, where he'd played for over a decade, but with no club guaranteeing friendlies he came back to Australia.

"Speaking to Heart they said they would guarantee me friendly games so that was the main reason I'm there," the 34-year-old said.

"It's very important for me to keep my match fitness up so I'm very grateful for that."

Bresciano, who is contracted to his Qatari club Al-Gharafa for another year, says he played a friendly match against a Victorian Premier League side on Sunday and has at least a further two matches organised in the next fortnight.

"It was a good hit-out ... when I did play the 90 minutes," he said.

"It's exactly what I need."

Bresciano conceded the ban had taken a toll on him personally and has been frustrating but said Al-Gharafa had been extremely suppositive.

"The club have been unbelievable," he said.

"A situation like this is almost unheard of and I think we've been hard done by.

"We both think we've done nothing wrong but that's football, you just have to get on with it."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/bresciano-admits-hes-not-in-top-condition-20140217-32w6c.html

Edited by Murfy1

Loved those Bresc highlights - though they didn't show the most important goal in 32 years of football in Australia.  Bresc's goal to give us 1-0 on the night against Uruguay and send the tie to penalties.

Aloisi got all the glory, but actually all he did was take the last penalty, just one of 4 successes.  No Bresc goal, no penalties.  I know Schwarzer gets a lot of credit (deservedly) for his heroics that night, but for me it was always Bresc's goal, (cunningly set up by Kewell, must have not been easy to make that pass look like a shot)

• Like 1