Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

15 hours ago, malloy said:

Gonna be a little pedantic and say no he  technically wasn't on the books when the CFG buyout happened. This is of course distinct from having a contract in place pre-buyout.

The real purpose of my post though is I wondr whether Mooy was made aware of the looming buy out to some extent (whether he knew it was CFG or just a wealthy group) before he put pen to paper. 

I know game time was cited as the major reason, but I don't think that would be enough to draw him to us alone as I reckon other clubs would have been able to offer similar game time. It was also reported that other clubs offered marquee wages, which would suggest that they would expect alot of playing minutes from him. So to me it doesn't quite add up that he chose us without some knowledge of a buy out which would mean we would be competitive.

Fwiw I know your post was relating to contract signed pre-CFG and its affect on any commission clauses for future transfer, but it was an in for me to raise something that I have thought about for a long time.

Were clubs offering "marquee wages" or were they offering to make him their marquee? Cause the only teams I can see that would have made him marquee are teams like CCM/Wellington/Newcastle  and he very well could have been earning less than he was on with us initially while still being paid high enough to warrant being a marquee at those clubs. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, malloy said:

I know, but Sidwell would have been aware that it was a wealthy group, hence my question of whether Mooy was aware of the upcoming buyout and if so was this the tipping point.  I believe it was reported that serious discussions began in July so surely a few people would have known. 

Maybe JD mentioned something to Mooy's agent to seal the deal to improve his signing history.

You may be on to something with that. Obviously everyone knew the Heart board were looking to sell and in that environment an incoming player would need some reassurance. The Campbell group would have seemed like competent owners to Mooy and his agent I'm sure.

It was reported at the time that a big factor in coming to us was the promise to play more further forward than his role at WSW (but who could make that offer, the sacked Aloisi or the stand in JVS?)

All in all it was a little puzzling as Heart had quite a few off field issues at the time- owners selling, coach on a record losing streak & then sacked, (with an interim replacement) and of course no proper training ground.

Wr offered 300k/season, "quite a lot" for a DM cum bench player & I can only think that the superior offers were from even less attractive destinations.

21 hours ago, hakz7 said:

Well, it's not like Man City are playing either of those two. So Mooy probably wouldn't have either and would have been sent out on loan to a League One team (even though he's probably better than Delph and Fernando). Or, they've only signed Brattan and Caceres to potentially allow us to sign them.

Absolute showbags...

Mooy was signed in January 2014, before the takeover was confirmed. Going off the majority of evidence I've seen, everyone was in the dark with regards to who would acquire Melbourne Heart. The main ideas reported were a group from New Zealand or the Melbourne Storm. And sure enough in the backrooms a consortium of Melbourne Storm and some businessmen from New Zealand fronted negotiations with Sidwell and Melbourne Heart, and for all intents and purposes looked like the real investment consortium. Then only on January 23, 2014 CFG swooped in and signed the papers to take over Melbourne Heart.

Why did Mooy sign with Melbourne Heart? I'm unsure what was most important for him, but I understand it was a mixture of these reasons:

- Melbourne Heart was incredibly eager to sign Mooy. The club tried to sign him at least 3 times, and seemingly got him on the 3rd attempt. Hence Mooy went from being a bench player WSW to a highly valued certain-to-start player at Heart, that would get the team partially built around him in 2014-15

- Mooy got a significant pay increase to $300,000 per season for 2 years

- It's not clear that other Melbourne or Sydney clubs were interested in Mooy, or wanted to pay him big wages. Newcastle Jets were reportedly interested in signing Mooy, but even if they made him their marquee it's unclear that he would have made as much, or more, money than 300k per season

- Mooy would get to play in his preferred position; a more attacking position in midfield where he could produce goals

At the end of the day I'm not too fussed what were the details that got the Mooy deal over the line. I'm just damn happy the club signed him.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Aaron Mooy focuses on national team, with half an eye on City title push

Michael Lynch

March 22, 2016

Aaron Mooy is focused on fulfilling his World Cup dreams with the Socceroos this week but the Melbourne City midfielder will be keeping a close watch – from a distance – on his teammates as they push to try to land the club's first title.

City entertain Wellington on Easter Monday, the day before Australia face Jordan in Sydney, and Mooy will be hoping that without him City can still take three points and another step to what would be a first Premiers Plate.

"That's definitely in all of our heads; we want to win [silverware]," he said of his teammates.

"With our squad it wouldn't be a disaster [if they didn't top the table] but it would be disappointing. A few more games and hopefully we can take maximum points, that's all we can do."

There was much talk in the January transfer window of Mooy leaving City for a move to Saudi Arabia. That didn't happen but there is still plenty of speculation that he will be off at the conclusion of this A-League campaign.

How close was the move to Saudi Arabia at the time? "Not very close. I didn't have any say, the club had decided and that was it," he said. "That was in the background."

But he would give no guarantees that he would remain at City when this season is over.

"Every player should want to push themselves as far as they can and I'm no different," he says.

"If there's an opportunity that comes up and suits me, we'll see.

"You have to wait and see what the options are at the end of the season.

"I want to play in the top leagues but we'll see what comes in at the end of the season and see what happens."

His Socceroo teammate Mathew Leckie is already well established in the Bundesliga with Ingolstadt and is happy to concentrate on developing his career in Europe.

He was a breakout player at the World Cup in Brazil and is looking forward to playing in Russia in 2018. But first Australia must get through these two games against Tajikistan and Jordan to make the final phase of Asian qualifying.

"We're two points clear and we have to come up against Jordan. We're confident and if we can play to our potential, play good on the day, we should be able to beat every team and we'll definitely concentrate," says Leckie.

"We're fully focused and hard to beat at home. The boss won't be happy with a draw and we want to win both games."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/socceroos-mooy-focuses-on-national-team-with-half-an-eye-on-city-title-push-20160322-gnod5v.html

Mooy, as usual, was quality on Thursday, and racked up 2 assists (Burns' 1st goal and Rogic's first goal). Some of the reviews of Mooy's performance:

Fox Sports:  AARON MOOY 9 — Best on ground across the 90 minutes. His phenomenal skill and ability to pick a pass made him a constant threat to the Tajik defence.  (link)

Ange hails Mooy and Mass masterclass

Thursday, 24 March 2016

Aidan Ormond

Caltex Socceroo coach Ange Postecoglou says Aaron Mooy is the best player in the Hyundai A-League after the City midfielder and his midfield partner Massimo Luongo put on a masterclass in Australia’s 7-0 win over Tajikstan in Adelaide.

Mooy, 25, was everywhere in Australia’s easy win over the Central Asian nation in their penultimate group game of this phase of World Cup qualification.

The playmaker ran the show just in behind the forward line and he worked extremely hard in and out of possession for the shirt.

And together with attacking midfielder Massimo Luongo, the pair completely dominated an overwhelmed Tajikstan on Thursday night.

“Him and Mass, with the game early on just needed people to break it open and those two broke it open," a beaming Postecoglou told Fox Sports. 

“And the thing with Aaron is he’s always dangerous. And he works awfully hard. 

"He’s almost an extra attacker when he has the ball. He was really busy tonight.”

Postecoglou added Mooy was the best player “full stop” in the Hyundai A-League.

“I think so. I know there are other guys scoring goals but what he contributes to his team, his attacking intent and assists. And tonight, it was the same for us.

“And he’s great at the set-pieces. I thought tonight he was excellent.”

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/ange-postecoglou-hails-aaron-mooy-and-massimo-luongo-masterclass/jzsitn74hoxw1t6q81zg4mhbm

Nathan Burns

Burns was full of praise for Aaron Mooy, declaring he has the potential to go a long way after a standout season for Melbourne City.

“He’s a fantastic player Azza,” he said.

“He’s taken his football to the next level this year I think, he’s one of the best players going around and who knows how far he can go.

“It’s always great playing up front when you know you’ve got the likes of Azza behind you giving you those types of balls. It’ll be interesting to see how he does in the following years but he’s got the potential to go all the way.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/socceroos-out-revenge#:vZzdVX68pnA9EA

Aaron Mooy remaining level-headed after shining for Socceroos

Clement Tito

MARCH 25, 2016

Socceroos star Aaron Mooy says he is not getting too carried away as the plaudits continue to come his way at international level.

Dominating at club level with Melbourne City, Mooy was dubbed as the best in the A-League twice by Australia boss Ange Postecoglou, but the player says he does not expect any favours from the coach.

“No (I’m not getting used to starting), it can change very quickly, under Ange especially he’s takes every match very seriously,” Mooy said.

“I try and get myself in space, there’s players good enough to play the ball into me and between their lines, that’s what’s good about playing with great players, they can find you in tight spaces. It’s good to play in the national team.”

Mooy was a central figure in last night’s 7-0 win against Tajikistan, which attracted over 35,000 people to the iconic Adelaide Oval.

The 25-year-old says he enjoyed playing in Adelaide and was not short of humour playing for Australia as opposed to Melbourne City in the South.

“It’s always good anywhere, it feels like home. It’s good to have the Adelaide fans actually cheering for you not booing me, so it’s good,” Mooy joked.

The man in the peak of his prime also said he needed to keep up his club form in order to transfer it to the national team.

Australia fly to Sydney straight from Adelaide on Friday afternoon for Tuesday’s clash with Jordan. Mooy insists Harry Redknapp-coached Jordan will be a more difficult test.

“The more you play with your club team, you play well. Your confidence comes naturally, same with the national team,” he said.

“It’s always good coming back from the national team, you feel confident. Firstly you have both the games, Jordan next week. So that’s my main focus now.

“Jordan is a better side, the next challenge we’ll train this week for the game, build it up and try play a game.”

http://outside90.com/aaron-mooy-im-not-getting-ahead-of-things-it-can-change-quickly-118/

http://www.liverpool-rumours.co.uk/liverpool-rumours/liverpoolrumours58706.php

"Melbourne's Aaron Mooy has been subject of declared interest from Al-Nassr, Watford and Feyenoord with Schalke 04 also known to have been watching him. The club has no interest in selling at this time."

Out of those teams mentioned, where do you think would be his best move?

1 minute ago, haz said:

"Melbourne's Aaron Mooy has been subject of declared interest from Al-Nassr, Watford and Feyenoord with Schalke 04 also known to have been watching him. The club has no interest in selling at this time."

Schalke or Watford

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, haz said:

Schalke or Watford. IMO Eridivsie or Middle East would be a bad move, and tbh I reckon the club (and Aaron) would say no way.

• Like 1

With Mooy being on 3 year deal, I think City Group may try and play it smart and attempt to set up a loan deal / on-sell arrangement, obviously not through Melbourne City because that would affect our salary cap and/or our ability to sign a marquee.  That way, if he has a bad time of it at his next club, he has the CFG safety net to fall back on.  

He's just got to go somewhere he is guaranteed a starting position, otherwise it will impact on his Socceroo / World Cup chances.  

Will miss seeing him pulling the strings for our team - club legend

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

With Mooy being on 3 year deal, I think City Group may try and play it smart and attempt to set up a loan deal / on-sell arrangement, obviously not through Melbourne City because that would affect our salary cap and/or our ability to sign a marquee.  That way, if he has a bad time of it at his next club, he has the CFG safety net to fall back on.  

He's just got to go somewhere he is guaranteed a starting position, otherwise it will impact on his Socceroo / World Cup chances.  

Will miss seeing him pulling the strings for our team - club legend

I'm still not 100% convinced he'll leave us - perhaps that's wishful thinking, but that's my view. He'll be 26 before next A-League season starts, as you say he's on a 3-year contract, he has a wife/partner and baby daughter, if he stays with us he'll play every match for which he's able to walk onto the ground, and IMO CFG will match any sensible salary that another club might offer (although not megabucks, as they've already said). Just as Txiki Begiristain said, both Aaron Mooy and Bruno Fornaroli are "big players who will become big names."

Mooy will be 28 or so at the next World Cup, and as you say, he needs football to maximise his international prospects. So far he's shown that he's got his head screwed on, and IMO he's going to think very carefully about his future and not just jump into a bigger pond.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm still not 100% convinced he'll leave us - perhaps that's wishful thinking, but that's my view. He'll be 26 before next A-League season starts, as you say he's on a 3-year contract, he has a wife/partner and baby daughter, if he stays with us he'll play every match for which he's able to walk onto the ground, and IMO CFG will match any sensible salary that another club might offer (although not megabucks, as they've already said). Just as Txiki Begiristain said, both Aaron Mooy and Bruno Fornaroli are "big players who will become big names."

Mooy will be 28 or so at the next World Cup, and as you say, he needs football to maximise his international prospects. So far he's shown that he's got his head screwed on, and IMO he's going to think very carefully about his future and not just jump into a bigger pond.

He'd also want to maximise his earnings in his prime years 

20 minutes ago, Luke said:

He'd also want to maximise his earnings in his prime years 

Not necessarily. Not everyone is that motivated by money, particularly once you are earning a significant enough wage to be really comfortable.

For mine, once i got to that 300k a year mark it wouldnt matter to me too much, id be doing what i want to do rather than what earns me the most. Different strokes for different folks obviously, but if Aaron's priority is the national team for instance, he might take considerably less money to ensure hes playing each week.

5 hours ago, haz said:

They're obviously just rumours but Schalke would be a brilliant move for him. Competing in Europe every season and are hence at the high end of the Bundesliga each season.

But Watford would be great as most of us watch a lot of Premier League so watching him often would be a treat.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Not necessarily. Not everyone is that motivated by money, particularly once you are earning a significant enough wage to be really comfortable.

For mine, once i got to that 300k a year mark it wouldnt matter to me too much, id be doing what i want to do rather than what earns me the most. Different strokes for different folks obviously, but if Aaron's priority is the national team for instance, he might take considerably less money to ensure hes playing each week.

Trust me, once you get there it goes quickly and is never as much as it sounds.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

From the wc qualifiers article earlier in the thread: 

“I try and get myself in space, there’s players good enough to play the ball into me and between their lines, that’s what’s good about playing with great players, they can find you in tight spaces."

Forget the money, I think he wants to challenge himself at a higher level and play with a team of high quality players. It will be good for his development and if he waits too long and gets injured he risks never getting the chance.

I've spent this season admiring him play and preparing to say goodbye.

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Relax man, Mooy has plenty of cash...he drives an Audi. But then again, so does Clisby apparently. So that clearly means nothing.

I doubt he would turn down a PL offer though. And I reckon he will get one.

clisby's is through a finance 

4 minutes ago, wfc_10 said:

His transfer fee would probably help in upgrading the facilities for the W-League and NPL teams

would hope he gets bought by man city and loaned out to whoever so that we'll always get the 1st shot to get him back

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

aye? you played?

I don't think money would actually be Aaron's primary reason for the move and simply throwing cash at him wouldn't be enough to make him turn down league's like the EPL or Bundesliga in my opinion.

Most players are motivated to test themselves at the highest level, against the best players and in the highest profile leagues. If Aaron has a chance to go play in one of those top leagues I think he'd be awfully keen to do so and (as long as the offer is right) the club won't stand in his way. If he does leave, and both sides handle the departure well, I can definitely see him coming back in his twilight years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Embee said:

I don't think money would actually be Aaron's primary reason for the move and simply throwing cash at him wouldn't be enough to make him turn down league's like the EPL or Bundesliga in my opinion.

Most players are motivated to test themselves at the highest level, against the best players and in the highest profile leagues. If Aaron has a chance to go play in one of those top leagues I think he'd be awfully keen to do so and (as long as the offer is right) the club won't stand in his way. If he does leave, and both sides handle the departure well, I can definitely see him coming back in his twilight years.

Or in two seasons when he hassnt cracked the first team :P

In all honesty I hope he goes, he deserves another chance in Europe at a good club, it would be sad to see him go but we can have two foreign marquees now so its not like we couldnt find an equal if not better replacement. 

7 hours ago, Dylan said:

Or in two seasons when he hassnt cracked the first team :P

In all honesty I hope he goes, he deserves another chance in Europe at a good club, it would be sad to see him go but we can have two foreign marquees now so its not like we couldnt find an equal if not better replacement. 

Inb4 Brattan as marquee...

It wouldn't surprise me if Man City bought him, loaned him out to another Premier League team (or even a team on the continent), and then sold him after a season.

Even though Mooy has the quality, I don't see teams offering a fair transfer fee, because he is from the A-League and unproven in Europe. If Man City loaned him somewhere for a season, and he performed to his ability, a much greater transfer fee could be received.

I suppose there is no reason he actually needs to be transferred to Man City for this to happen, could just be loaned out as a Melbourne City player, but that doesn't really make any difference anyway.

6 minutes ago, Tesla said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Man City bought him, loaned him out to another Premier League team (or even a team on the continent), and then sold him after a season.

Even though Mooy has the quality, I don't see teams offering a fair transfer fee, because he is from the A-League and unproven in Europe. If Man City loaned him somewhere for a season, and he performed to his ability, a much greater transfer fee could be received.

I suppose there is no reason he actually needs to be transferred to Man City for this to happen, could just be loaned out as a Melbourne City player, but that doesn't really make any difference anyway.

Isn't it better for him to be loaned out by Melbourne rather than Manchester - fewer club registrations that way? Anyway, I'm sure that the accounting etc. gurus at CFG know the best way.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Isn't it better for him to be loaned out by Melbourne rather than Manchester - fewer club registrations that way? Anyway, I'm sure that the accounting etc. gurus at CFG know the best way.

Shouldn't make a difference if Man City is counted as his first club from July 1st (not sure if we'd be considered his first club for the year or Man City would be if a hypothetical transfer to Man City goes through on July 1st), since he probably wouldn't play for them and therefore can play for two other clubs next season. If Melbourne City counts as his first, then yeah it would be better to loan him straight from Melbourne City.

Edited by Tesla

15 hours ago, Tesla said:

This is why A League clubs negotiate "a percentage of the next transfer". Not sure what sort of numbers they negotiate, but the rumour mill was that CCM got plenty of $ when Matt Ryan went to Valencia. 

I think he'll go at seasons end but he's given so much to our club and he deserves to move overseas to secure his dream move wherever that is. Wish the great man nothing but the best.

It's a lot different now then the Heart days, we we lost someone deep down you knew they'd never be replaced but I believe the CFG can find an even better replacement.

• Like 1