Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart vs Perth Glory Friday 9:45EST

kingofhearts

Will be a draw I think. Perth are equally as bad as us and despite the improvement shown against CCM don't forget we have to travel all the way back to Gosford then over to Perth in the space of 5 days. Would love to see more of Mauk he has shown a lot more than many others. 

My Melbourne Heart checklist: 

Sack JA   :D

Sell the Cub

Get rid of deadwood: Mifsud, Germano, Ramsay, McAllistair.

Edited by RoyalHeart

Predicting a loss as well. Gallas might be back but the reason why I'm predicting the loss is because JA has taken out every ounce of passion and confidence from all the players. Will take weeks to see a good game played by the Heart. First win might come against Newcastle at home.

Interesting to see what JVS can do with a few more sessions under his belt, I think a lot will depend on how stupidly hot it is in Perth on the night.

This. My brother is in Perth at the moment and he is saying that the heat during the day has been very high. Much worse is that the Freo Doctor has not come in that stong to refresh the city.

Ramsay needs to be dropped. Cant remember a decent cross let alone a decent game from him all season. Continuously picking players in the hope they will come good will has a trickle down effect on the rest of the team who think they're position is safe after an average game. It's one of the main reasons why were last and without a win. We might not have the depth of some other teams but it wont hurt to change things around whether its personnel or formation. This week will tell us if were willing to make the necessary changes to move this club forward. If not then I worry for our future cos we really need to start growing some balls.

• Like 1

I'm not feeling so pessimistic. Remember JVS' last game as coach was against Perth in a humiliating finals appearance, he'll be motivated to do well. The result is less certain but I hope for at least an improved away performance and hopefully we win a game by the end of the season. At the moment I'm concentrating on performance.

-----------------Redders--------------

----Hoff--------Gerhardt------Weilart--------Aziz (only because there's not much choice)

----------------Murdocca---------------------------------

---Mate---------Kalmar----------------Garuccio

-----------Kewell---------------D-Mac

I'd line up like that, with Kewell dropping deep into the midfield when required (like he did against CCM). I'm done with Ramsay and would rather see Garuccio get a chance, he's been ripping it in the NYL for weeks, surely it's worth giving him a run.

Had enough of Mifsud at the moment too, maybe it's time to see what D-Mac can achieve in this team, Mifsud to come off the bench late if things aren't working with D-Mac

• Like 1

Interesting to see what JVS can do with a few more sessions under his belt, I think a lot will depend on how stupidly hot it is in Perth on the night.

This. My brother is in Perth at the moment and he is saying that the heat during the day has been very high. Much worse is that the Freo Doctor has not come in that stong to refresh the city.

It was fucking melting today. At least a 6 ko should help. Usually the seabreeze (I've seriously never heard anyone call it the freo doctor except for cricket commentators)is well and truly in by then. Is destined to be a terrible game. Would be nice if we can sneak a win though. Will go with 1-0 to the Heart with Wielaert breaking the a-league record for most successful completed passes, narrowly edging out PG for the honour. 

Time for a 3-5-2. We have 3 really good CB's and to have one sitting on the bench is a waste of a spot. Something like this:

Gerdhard------Kisnorbo----Weilart

Hoffman-------Murdocca----------Kewell----------Kalmar----------aziz

D-mac----------Misfud?

Question mark on misfud because i don't know if garrucio has played up front a lot before??? If so would have him in for misfud/

This formation will allow us to get players up the field and finally have some numbers in the box when we put crosses in.

Hoffman and aziz just have to make sure they get back and help the back 3 out when needed. But i seriously think our defence would be boss with these 3 in it,

• Like 1

Aziz Behich says Melbourne Heart playing without fear under new coach

David Davutovic   January 6 2014

MELBOURNE Heart defender Aziz Behich said Sunday's scoreless draw at Central Coast has restored confidence to a battered side with the club now desperate to avoid an "embarrassing'' record.

Heart is one game short of equalling New Zealand Knights' record of 19 games without a win after equalling Perth Glory's 18-game winless streak from 2006-07.

And the challenge is immense as Heart travels to Perth with just a five-day break against a Glory side buoyed after beating Newcastle Jets 1-0 on Saturday.

But Behich declared that Heart will travel west aiming to secure three points with Sunday's impressive performance having lifted morale in John van't Schip's first game in charge.

"We don't want a record like that because it is embarrassing and no-one wants to be a part of something like that. But we're not thinking about it, we're just focused on the game plan,'' Behich said.

"We're going there to get the three points, it's not an easy game because Perth are a good side.

"John told us to express ourselves, play freely and don't be afraid and we did and the results will follow.

"I think we played well, we kept the ball and everyone played with confidence, that's what we've been lacking. Everyone was on the ball, no one was hiding.''

Heart has no injury concerns with captain Harry Kewell pulling up well after completing just his second full game of the season.

Substitute Stefan Mauk yesterday joined defender David Vrankovic in joining the Olyroos for the AFC U22 Championships after receiving a late call up for injured VVV Venlo attacker Travis Cooper.

Teen winger Ben Garuccio is pushing for a call up after a stellar performance for the youth team that included a goal in a 2-0 win over the Mariners.

Behich said the team can only improve having had a solitary session under van't Schip.

"We didn't have much time to train under John but credit to all of the teammates, everyone clicked in that session,'' he said.

"(After the game) he said there's still room for improvement but it was a little step forward. We played well as a unit, we all did well and we can only improve.

"Having Harry our captain back makes a difference. Harry can change games and he had a great game but as a collective we did really well and kept ball well and played as a unit.''

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/aziz-behich-says-melbourne-heart-playing-without-fear-under-new-coach/story-fnk9bpxo-1226796120116

Edited by Murfy1

I reckon the heart players emotions will be the defining factor in this match, regardless that they say they aren't focusing on this. Every player would be aware of the upcoming 20 game winless record, and I don't doubt there will be a hunger amongst the players to win that hasn't been there for a while, even a sense of desperation. The question is whether they will use it to their advantage.

4-3-3 for me with the wingers playing a little higher up, like mifsuds run and endeavour but don't want him at CF anymore.  

Redders

Hoff   -   PG   -   Wielaert   -   Aziz (again because no-one else)

Mass

Kalmar          Kewell

D-Mac

Garuccio                        Mifsud

Can we just play Aziz as an out and out winger, his defending is equivalent to that of any of the other midfielders but he's the most penetrating winger we have.

Time for Mifsud to be benched, show him he has to score if he wants to play. D-mac to start with Garrucio relieving him if he needs it

Just need to collect the ball off Robbiewielartisared before he gets so excited that he bombs it forward and then need to actually shoot.

Could win, maybe even should win, won't win 2-0 loss

Edited by CB.