Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

Off-season is too goddamn long.

Yep. It really does confuse me why the FFA don't just make each team play each other 4 times instead of three and expand the season by two months.

Competing codes. Both in spectators who watch AFL and rugby, as well as ground availability. AAMI has 4 residents in 3 different competitions which would almost be impossible to plan a season around, just organising finals has been problematic for the FFA. 

Edited by hedaik

Yep. It really does confuse me why the FFA don't just make each team play each other 4 times instead of three and expand the season by two months.

Competing codes. Both in spectators who watch AFL and rugby, as well as ground availability. AAMI has 4 residents in 3 different competitions which would almost be impossible to plan a season around, just organising finals has been problematic for the FFA. 

A very worthy topic, but there's already a thread on this ("A-League Expansion") in "Australian Football." Suggest continuing the discussion there...

A list of 11 players still without a club

Victor Valdez

Anthony Reveillere - Right back Ex Napoli 34yo

Carlos Marchena - Centre Back Ex Deportivo 35yo

Modibo Diakite - Centre Back Ex Sunderland 27yo

Andrea Dossena - Left back Ex Sunderland 32yo

Ronaldino - Midfielder Ex Brazilian team 34yo

Alou Diarra Midfielder Ex West Ham 33yo

Sotiris Ninis Midfielder Ex Parma 24yo

Florent Malouda Midfielder Ex Trabzonspor 34yo

Nilmar Striker Ex El Ryann 30yo

Hugo Almedia Unattached 30yo

Some hand players in the list. Some could be gettable .....

Victor Valdez

In that, Maluda and almedia thanks.

Preseason probably doesn't mean much in terms of results.

Other than player confidence, unless howlers are made or easy goals missed, losses probably don't mean all that much either.

The most important thing really is team cohesion and effectively implementing the game plan. My concern thus far is that we are only seeing this cohesion in snippets, and not really with how we score our goals. Also, we still have a lot of the weaknesses evident from past seasons.

There is a way to go .... Lucky we have a long pre season ... And we need more quality in the squad

Victor Valdez

Good Foxsports article, I read it too. Some handy players still available, what type of player would we be looking for? Another midfielder? Another striker?

Our defence is pretty shit isn't it?

Swear I read it on foxsports, ah well, they probably stole it.

Strikers: Milan Baros, Jonas (Although wanted by QPR & Sunderland), Innocent Emeghara (Swiss International - Played at Livorno last season), Andy Johnson, Chu Young Park (24 international goals for South Korea), Almeida.

Midfielders: Gustavo Colman, Ronaldinho, Malouda, Sotiris Ninis

Left Backs: Reto Ziegler, Dossena

Centre Backs: Pogatetz, Yobo.

Some handy players still available out there depending on what we're looking for.

I still would have thought that with (allegedly) 36 CFG scouts out there we could have signed, sealed and delivered our full squad some time ago.

This was supposed to be one of the major benefits of being a part of CFG - WTF has it delivered us so far?

Stability as a club for the very long term.

the richest sponsorship deal in a league history.

the use of the manchester city facility every preseason

more than likely our own top noch facility in a couple of years (something I am happy that they are taking their time in developing)

Koren.

This is only a small list and it already shows that they have taken us far beyond what our previous owners ever could

I think the whole idea of the use of scouts came from this forum, rather than the club itself, and that we are suddenly going to find great players to come and play for us whilst ignoring two things a) we are a very insignificant league and B) we have a salary cap and its tiny. But I think JVS made a good point when asked about Carrington and specifically about scouting, which he said that what is good about coming to Carrington was it showed the scouts what level we are at and what we have to work with, so with that they can then look for players for us. Oh and they are probably too busy with their pet project New York currently anyway.

Oh and I think that the club so far has gone out and started doing what it wanted to do under the previous ownership and thats to develop young players. Since the vast bulk of our signings this year have been these types and they always take time to develop, plus there is always a risk that they might not turn out so great after all.

So all in all I think the CFG take over has been great so far.

Edited by Dylan

. But I think JVS made a good point when asked about Carrington and specifically about scouting, which he said that what is good about coming to Carrington was it showed the scouts what level we are at and what we have to work with, so with that they can then look for players for us.

If JVS said that then he's making excuses before the season even starts.  Its not as if Arnold had a team of EPL recruits at the Mariners.

Is anyone else really worried with the squad we've assembled over the off-season so far? 

I feel as though we've improved our squad with signings such as Mooy, Duff and Koren but we've failed to address key positions yet again, and I honestly don't think we've enhanced our squad by any significant amount over any other club.

At the moment I can't really see us finishing higher than 7th or 8th, is it just me and my pessimistic Heart attitude?

• Like 1

Is anyone else really worried with the squad we've assembled over the off-season so far? 

I feel as though we've improved our squad with signings such as Mooy, Duff and Koren but we've failed to address key positions yet again, and I honestly don't think we've enhanced our squad by any significant amount over any other club.

At the moment I can't really see us finishing higher than 7th or 8th, is it just me and my pessimistic Heart attitude?

Yes and yes.

I think it's because year after year we get pumped and excited about the season ahead and have been bitterly disappointed beyond belief every single year, especially the last season...and the one before that! :-/

We kept too much deadwood and haven't added enough quality imo. 

Obviously we still have a foreign position and an Australian marquee to fill but we still have too many gaps and we may not even get our Aussie marquee (likely Kennedy) until the second half of the season anyway.

I never expected a quick, magical turnaround as a result of the takeover but I was expecting a much bigger off-season.

• Like 3

See my post earlier Nate when I analysed the ins and outs?

We haven't actually improved the squad much and have weakened a key position (lb), whilst failing to address our gk malaise.

The only thing I didn't touch on is that I think 3 returning players ( mooy, garuccio & Germano ) should be better this year.

7th seems about right.

And all the other clubs have gone backwards right?

Well that's just the thing... every other club has improved their squad in some manner and considering we had the most ground to make up based on last season's disaster, I don't think we've improved it nearly as much as we needed to. 

Don't get me wrong, I can see us being competitive next season but I'm not certain it'll be enough.

• Like 1

Leaving aside re-signings, contract extensions and promotions from the Heart NYL team I think we have:

Departures:

Behich (end of loan),

Walker,

Gerhardt,

Mitchinson,

Vrankovic,

Kewell,

Engelaar.

Arrivals:

Duff,

Melling,

Brown,

Chapman,

Mooy,

Koren,

Marino,

Villa (guest for 10 matches).

As it stands at the moment in terms of numbers we have weakened our defensive options, and added to the midfield and forwards. I agree with the views being expressed that really there's not a lot of change in the overall squad. A lot seems to be riding on Duff, Mooy, Koren and Villa. However we have signed only 21 of the 23+3 we are allowed, so it's not all over yet, assuming there's some money left inside the cap.

• Like 1

It worries me that we've weakened our defence, but our strengthened forwards (with Villa yet) have really not set the world on fire against HAL level opponents. Unless Villa makes a big difference, and he may with Koren and Duff and Mooy feeding him, we'll still struggle to score through any other avenue.

Melbourne City the place where the sky is always falling.

Koren and Mooy are both massive upgrades on players in midfield last year. Kewell couldn't get on the park and Orland missed most of the season the rest are still around but will be better for playing with quality players. A good visa DM really would top us off in this area.

I suspect down back you get exposed less if you can hold onto the ball (see walls of whine in other threads about meaningless possession) fact is defence isn't an issue when you have the ball so in a respect picking up good midfielders who retain the ball improves the defence. The issue there last season was the lack of accountability of midfielders (or work rate). Meaning they regularly got over run. I think both our experienced central defenders are quite solid. When we retain the ball I expect Wielhaert to show his worth (not that anyone on here will give him credit). I'd. Expect Germano and King to get a good run out wide at the back this year. Rambo is being given every chance I suspect he will come up short. Pre-season is the time to test him out.

Williams as shot as I think he is scored plenty last year and should have better service this year he will keep scoring. Duff is a huge upgrade on the left. Villa will knock a few in whilst here too and Marino looks a better prospect than Macallister.

How people are suggesting our squad doesn't look better this year than last is beyond me.

• Like 2

Melbourne City the place where the sky is always falling.

Koren and Mooy are both massive upgrades on players in midfield last year. Kewell couldn't get on the park and Orland missed most of the season the rest are still around but will be better for playing with quality players. A good visa DM really would top us off in this area.

I suspect down back you get exposed less if you can hold onto the ball (see walls of whine in other threads about meaningless possession) fact is defence isn't an issue when you have the ball so in a respect picking up good midfielders who retain the ball improves the defence. The issue there last season was the lack of accountability of midfielders (or work rate). Meaning they regularly got over run. I think both our experienced central defenders are quite solid. When we retain the ball I expect Wielhaert to show his worth (not that anyone on here will give him credit). I'd. Expect Germano and King to get a good run out wide at the back this year. Rambo is being given every chance I suspect he will come up short. Pre-season is the time to test him out.

Williams as shot as I think he is scored plenty last year and should have better service this year he will keep scoring. Duff is a huge upgrade on the left. Villa will knock a few in whilst here too and Marino looks a better prospect than Macallister.

How people are suggesting our squad doesn't look better this year than last is beyond me.

I think the side is stronger than last year, for reasons you pointed out. Though we could have done with both fullbacks and keeper, a DM or retention of Orlando would have been ace as well.I hope Chapman gets better, as much as I like Weilaart, he is getting noticeably slower.

I'm not too keen on the style of play, but I've had my rants, just have to wait and see on that.