Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

If Kewell doesn't retire and all he wants is minimum wage once again, IMO he is too good not to sign on, even with his injury problems. Still shows flashs of brilliance and when he hasn't been injured we have seen that he can still set the tempo of the game.

Engelaar I'm hoping we can fit under the cap. I wouldn't sign him as a marquee obviously due to the talent the City purchase has opened us up too but we still haven't even seen the best of Orlando. Imagine a full pre-season from the big man! :o

If Kewell doesn't retire and all he wants is minimum wage once again, IMO he is too good not to sign on, even with his injury problems. Still shows flashs of brilliance and when he hasn't been injured we have seen that he can still set the tempo of the game.

Engelaar I'm hoping we can fit under the cap. I wouldn't sign him as a marquee obviously due to the talent the City purchase has opened us up too but we still haven't even seen the best of Orlando. Imagine a full pre-season from the big man! :o

IMO we need to start getting a bit realistic here.

Players contracted for next season after today's announcement are Redmayne, Velaphi, Hoffman, Williams, Ramsay and Murdocca. There's speculation that another couple are also contracted for next season, but that is not known for certain.

Even the list above is 6 out of the 23 allowed players. None are any better than mediocre.

Now you're suggesting taking that number to 8 by re-signing Kewell and Engelaar. Both well past it IMO.

Why on earth keep re-signing the players who have taken us to 9th place for this season? It's beyond me. If we want to finish bottom next season we might as well re-sign the lot of them. 

• Like 1

We can pay out players we don't want that are contracted to us.

Pretty sure Murdocca said in an interview that even players with contracts past this season have to work hard to keep their spot, or city will just pay them out.

So as far as I'm concerned, only Williams, velaphi and Hoffman are with us so far.

IMO we need to start getting a bit realistic here.

Players contracted for next season after today's announcement are Redmayne, Velaphi, Hoffman, Williams, Ramsay and Murdocca. There's speculation that another couple are also contracted for next season, but that is not known for certain.

Even the list above is 6 out of the 23 allowed players. None are any better than mediocre.

Now you're suggesting taking that number to 8 by re-signing Kewell and Engelaar. Both well past it IMO.

Why on earth keep re-signing the players who have taken us to 9th place for this season? It's beyond me. If we want to finish bottom next season we might as well re-sign the lot of them. 

Kewell and Engelaar haven't taken us to 9th. The 6 players (Redmayne, Hoffman, Velaphi, Ramsay, Williams, Murddoca) that Heart have secured for next season took us to 9th, or last to be exact.

Kewell and Engelaar pretty much only joined the team in the middle of the season, after JVS laid the ground-work for change. And whilst JVS deserves the majority of praise for bringing Heart's season back from the dead, Kewell and Engelaar were both significant factors in Heart's revival, and in most of Heart's good results.

The fact is, Heart doesn't need 17 spots to strengthen the team for next season. And even if Heart re-signed Kewell and Engelaar, and a few other players for that matter, then Heart would still have plenty of room and possibility to strengthen the team for next season, with our marquee spots free, probably some VISA spots free and probably still decent room under the cap.

Kewell and Engelaar, despite their ages, have much more talent then the rest of the players in our squad, and most other players in the A-League. Assuming neither get broken legs or bad whiplash next season, I have no doubt that both could make important contributions next season. This is the A-League, not the EPL, where players even verging 40 like ADP can rip up the league.

I've got a feeling that Heart won't be able to secure both of them for next season, but that doesn't mean that they both wouldn't be pretty useful players if they were kept for next season. I'd like them both to get 1 year extensions inside the cap, but we'll just have to see what happens.

• Like 2

I'll say it again, our biggest problem is not the players we have although there are a few weak links that I wouldn't sign, but it's the club culture and mentality. We could see that we were very good when we played without anxiety for 7 games, terrible when the anxiety returns. This is the crucial problem we need to fix. Nobody would complain if we played that way all season even if it was with the current squad.

Hang on a sec bela... We've had the most attacks on goal pretty much all season, and you think it's not the players...?

There's a pattern under both JVS and JA, where our players choke under pressure, either the pressure of doing poorly (under JA) that resulted in them just doing worse, especially in front of goal. Under JVS on 2 occasions we have won 5 straight games and then choked under the expectation of success. This has to be addressed to create a culture of success. The way our club and team approaches and (doesn't0 cope with expectations is what turns a decent team into a team of hack players. If they were all hack players they would have stayed that way no matter what and we wouldn't have had our 7 good games.

Hang on a sec bela... We've had the most attacks on goal pretty much all season, and you think it's not the players...?

There's a pattern under both JVS and JA, where our players choke under pressure, either the pressure of doing poorly (under JA) that resulted in them just doing worse, especially in front of goal. Under JVS on 2 occasions we have won 5 straight games and then choked under the expectation of success. This has to be addressed to create a culture of success. The way our club and team approaches and (doesn't0 cope with expectations is what turns a decent team into a team of hack players. If they were all hack players they would have stayed that way no matter what and we wouldn't have had our 7 good games.

No there is a difference. Under JA they would choke when a game was on the line, under JVS they would choke when the season was on the line. To be honest I don't think this team chokes, but I do think there is a cultural problem in the team.

So you can't see a playing difference under JVS?

TBH, not in the past two home games - no. Particularly against CCM. I thought it was one of the worst performances ever. Everything to play for and we couldn't do it.

When I was a lad supporting my home town non-league club I would be devastated every time they lost - that's the way you are when you're that age. But I think the CCM match was the first one I've ever been to when I was angry as I left the ground.

No there is a difference. Under JA they would choke when a game was on the line, under JVS they would choke when the season was on the line. To be honest I don't think this team chokes, but I do think there is a cultural problem in the team.

I think that the club culture is frightened of success, it's been stuck in the mindset of being a small club, the underdog, the shit-sibling. This is what CFG really need to remove

We will see how we go at the start of the off season. In the years gone by other clubs have snapped up the best talent whilst we have picked up the stragglers and budget cuts.

If the rumours about Mooy are correct, it would appear that we have at least started to set our targets before the season end. We may well have done this in the past it just is not apparent. Hopefully with our new found wealth and expertise, the announcements will come thick and fast, and we will have a solid pre-season for once, with everyone in camp.

So you can't see a playing difference under JVS?

TBH, not in the past two home games - no. Particularly against CCM. I thought it was one of the worst performances ever. Everything to play for and we couldn't do it.

When I was a lad supporting my home town non-league club I would be devastated every time they lost - that's the way you are when you're that age. But I think the CCM match was the first one I've ever been to when I was angry as I left the ground.

Sorry, can't agree with that. Maybe the newcastle game was like the JA era, but not the Mariners game. We at least tried to move the ball through midfield and retain possession and prob for openings. Even create a few chances. Newcastle was just long ball rubbish.

Edited by Rellum

I'll say it again, our biggest problem is not the players we have although there are a few weak links that I wouldn't sign, but it's the club culture and mentality. We could see that we were very good when we played without anxiety for 7 games, terrible when the anxiety returns. This is the crucial problem we need to fix. Nobody would complain if we played that way all season even if it was with the current squad.

One way to address the culture issue (of which I am not convinced but do see the point) is to replace the players. Since the win over the Victory there have been chances created to score goals but these were not taken. So a good starting point is to replace the players at the front and try players that do score. So far with the re-signing of the players the question that leaps at me is how will JVS improve the off season training to ensure that the players that are meant to score do so. I have noted in other blogs that players seem to have one kicking foot and if its not at the right place they do not kick the ball and that if the other side gets physical Heart players shrivel and go to ground to easily.

Pretty much agree with the above post.

I think if there is a 'cultural' issue (and I'm always very weary of ascribing something to being a 'cultural' issue), it can be changed with Heart replacing or adding maybe several players.

I think Heart has too many confidence lacking players, and in particular confidence lacking attacking players. Heart lacks egomaniacal goal-scorers like Berisha. For instance, none of Heart's nominal 'goal-scorers' routinely grab the game by the scruff of the neck and score the first goal for the team. Williams has only scored the 1st Heart goal in 2 games (the first, after the keeper spilled a shot in the 2-2 CCM draw, and the second when Heart drew 1-1 with WSW, but Williams didn't shoot, his cross went in). Other Heart 1st goal scorers include Kalmar (1 goal: when the ball hit him in the face and went in in the first derby) and Ramsay (1 goal: deflected shot in the 3-1 Jets win).

It's rather strange, but players like Migliorini and Germano have both stepped up and provided useful first goals with good finishes (both of them also got another first goal via a deflection). Kisnorbo also scored a fine header against Perth (in the 2-1 win) to get the team off and running.

Engelaar is the big standout. He has scored 4 quality first goals, getting Heart off and running in 4 different games. No other Heart players have showed anything near that much responsibility (and the confidence) to score the very useful first goal for the team on so many occasions.

That none of Heart's forwards/attackers routinely score the 1st goal for the team says a lot. But if the team got a striker big on confidence that had ability and the cojones to score the first goal for the team, then as we've seen away to the Nix (with the 5-0 win) and in the last derby (4-0), other players like Williams and Dugandzic could follow suit and get on the scoresheet.

Hopefully things like better training facilities, a lavish pre-season (maybe with a trip to Manchester) and better resources improve the mental state and confidence of confidence deficient Heart players, and help them make a bigger impact in games. But for my money quality players leading the way is the surest way to lift the mental state, confidence or 'culture' of Heart and its players.

Edited by Murfy1

There's a lot to be said about the game being won between the ears and not just with the feet. On field leadership is crucial but so to is club expectation which feeds into pressure on players to perform. We've merely existed as a club since day one just making up the numbers - poor facilities, low expectations and accepting mediocrity. With MCFC now watching our performances, players and club officials will be under the microscope in a way they probably never imagined. Hopefully this inspires people to step up with the knowledge that poor performance won't be rewarded. Really looking forward to the off season.

What are you guys thoughts on signing Del Piero as a player/assistant coach, but he only plays sometimes as a sub but his more of a coach. Or just simply signing him as assistant coach?

Not as a player.  Has had a lot of trouble getting or staying on the paddock this year, next year will be worse still.  We need to look forward and signing a 40 year old will not be doing that.

As assistant, nothing against the great man, but to be honest I'd like to see an Australian given the opportunity to learn under JVS and the Man City boys.

• Like 2

What are you guys thoughts on signing Del Piero as a player/assistant coach, but he only plays sometimes as a sub but his more of a coach. Or just simply signing him as assistant coach?

He is too injury prone - his body is no longer up to it. So that would be a no for playing and we have enough old people in the team already.

As an assistant I am not convinced that players that immediately retire should be given coaching roles in the A-League. For Australia, I think that the coaching path should be one of getting the licenses then be in charge of state league sides. If relatively successful then they should be given an opportunity at the A-League level. Coaching is about being to analyse the players strengths and weaknesses, analyse the opposition, have a vision for the style of play, have the ability to create innovative training sessions, motivate the players, manage resources, man management, etc. None of these things are easy. I can't see ADP staying in Oz to do that. He will probably return to Italy and do a similar thing with one of the big clubs.

Finally, our experiment with JA should make the club extremely cautious.

He is too injury prone - his body is no longer up to it. So that would be a no for playing and we have enough old people in the team already.

As an assistant I am not convinced that players that immediately retire should be given coaching roles in the A-League. For Australia, I think that the coaching path should be one of getting the licenses then be in charge of state league sides. If relatively successful then they should be given an opportunity at the A-League level. Coaching is about being to analyse the players strengths and weaknesses, analyse the opposition, have a vision for the style of play, have the ability to create innovative training sessions, motivate the players, manage resources, man management, etc. None of these things are easy. I can't see ADP staying in Oz to do that. He will probably return to Italy and do a similar thing with one of the big clubs.

Finally, our experiment with JA should make the club extremely cautious.

After getting their badges they should not go straight into taking charge of a team. They should be an assistant for numerous years

Malloy the problem is that most coaches don't even get the correct badges or qualifications. In Europe for over 50 years there's no way you can coach without the right courses. In Australia for over 50 years you were given a right of passage to coach without any football schooling. It is one of if not the biggest failure in the history of football in Australia.

• Like 1