Melbourne Football

Melbourne City's New HQ and Training Facility

Dylan

Does Victory have a purpose built base? I think we should be happy with what we have. Slow progress is evident and although l don't have much expectation for the remainder of the season, l believe next season will be a whole new team with new coaching staff.

Happy to be corrected on this...but I think only Central Coast and City have gone down this path so far. CCM perhaps more ambitious in that they are planning an office block with certain space leased to other organizations, and also a hotel.

Does Victory have a purpose built base? I think we should be happy with what we have. Slow progress is evident and although l don't have much expectation for the remainder of the season, l believe next season will be a whole new team with new coaching staff.

Happy to be corrected on this...but I think only Central Coast and City have gone down this path so far. CCM perhaps more ambitious in that they are planning an office block with certain space leased to other organizations, and also a hotel.

Yeah i think thats true and its being done inconjunction with the council.

Victory share their facilities with melbourne storm. They dont own it, just rent it

We have 2 very highly rated assistants and our youth team may win the league. Yet you are expecting them to be sacked? In my view the only one in strife is JVS. As to players I am expecting everyone except koren who has a contract for next year to still be there.

As to the facilities I think they are great step in the right direction and will help both operationally, physically and mentally

We have 2 very highly rated assistants and our youth team may win the league. Yet you are expecting them to be sacked? In my view the only one in strife is JVS. As to players I am expecting everyone except koren who has a contract for next year to still be there.

As to the facilities I think they are great step in the right direction and will help both operationally, physically and mentally

What about all the other players that are contracted? Paartalu, Mooy, Melling, Kenedy...,? Happy to keep these for next season

What about all the other players that are contracted? Paartalu, Mooy, Melling, Kenedy...,? Happy to keep these for next season

Shahanga said "Everyone except Koren who has a contract for next year to still be there." In other words, if they have a contract for next year then we won't be trying to shuffle them off somewhere. Except Koren who has disappointed so far.

I differ from Shahanga in that IMO we should make every effort to release Redmayne; he has another year to run on his contract. If he stays it will be Tando who gets the chop even though he's the better of the two.

All those coming out of contract should be released IMO and we must continue to rebuild.

Incidentally I see that Central Coast are expecting two Everton U-21 players to be with them next season as visa players, and each season similarly. I really would like City to do the same.

Agree with this, last week vs Perth aside from Wilo, Tando and Kisnobo the starting 11 was filled with our new signings.. Including Melling who didn't play last season..

The New players have added value to our club so I'm happy with them, the off contract players should all be moved on including JVS.

What will be critical is the signing of our visa players, with possibly Weilart, Duff, and Germano all leaving its a massive opportunity to get this right.. Visa players must be better than what can be found locally, also they should consistently be in the starting 11 and add value to the playing squad.

Not many A-league clubs have gotten this right, I hope we do next season ...

Not sure what the fascination is with getting U21 players from Man City as our visa players. I'd rather have the quality imports the Visitors and Adelaide have rather than some kids from Man City's youth ranks.

A large portion of players who come through EPL academies never eventuate to anything more than lower league players and those who don't are hardly gonna be sent down here instead of the Championship to get game time.

Not sure what the fascination is with getting U21 players from Man City as our visa players. I'd rather have the quality imports the Visitors and Adelaide have rather than some kids from Man City's youth ranks.

A large portion of players who come through EPL academies never eventuate to anything more than lower league players and those who don't are hardly gonna be sent down here instead of the Championship to get game time.

Agree we should target 2 or 3 of the best Championship players that don't have a realistic chance of moving to Premier League. You can't win anything with kids.

Agree we should target 2 or 3 of the best Championship players that don't have a realistic chance of moving to Premier League. You can't win anything with kids.

1. We won't be able to afford 2-3 of the best Championship players.

2. Two of our best players this season are Chapman and Melling.

• Like 3

What about promising players from the NPL and developing them? I have been disappointed with the lack of young players as well as early to mid-twenty's late starters getting a go. All we seem to get is the A-League recycling factory.

The sooner all HAL clubs have academies the better, Less Cernaks and Ramsays more Mellings and Chapmans and Babaljs

1. We won't be able to afford 2-3 of the best Championship players.

2. Two of our best players this season are Chapman and Melling.

How does two of our best players being younger prove your point? Do you honestly think a team of youngsters at Chapman or Melling's level would win this league? Rocks in your head if you think so. Unless they are sending someone of a for example John Guidetti type level at around 18/19 years of age (premier league level but not really Manchester City level) then it's a waste of everyone's time sending them out here. But with the change in rules the FFA bought in to block us doing such a thing I can't see it happening as that level of City youngsters would probably be on more than Koren would be.

This was on the world game website and now has been taken down. I guess the launch is today

Melbourne City has a new headquarters after the City Football Group unveiled its Australian training and administration facility – City Football Academy (CFA) Melbourne – at La Trobe University.

The facility will become the City Football Group’s centre for football operations in the Asia Pacific region.

CFA Melbourne features advanced new training pitches for the Melbourne City first team, two elite youth team pitches, dedicated community pitches, world-class medical and sports science facilities and expansive new office space.

Employees of Melbourne City moved in last week while the club’s first team commenced training at the first class venue in advance of Friday night’s home match against Adelaide United.

"The establishment of the CFA Melbourne is great news for Melbourne City FC," Scott Munn, Melbourne City CEO, said.

"It allows us to bring all of our football, commercial and administrative staff together under one roof for the first time in a space designed and built to meet the needs of a professional football club."

To celebrate the formal commencement of operations at CFA Melbourne, members of the Australian football family, media, local government and City Football partners have been invited for an official tour of the facility of Friday.

"These facilities have been built to exactly the same standard as those in Manchester because we fundamentally believe in the provision of a world-class environment for the training and development of young players and coaches," Khaldoon Al Mubarak, chairman of Melbourne City FC and the City Football Group, said.

"It’s something that we also believe can be a competitive advantage for all of our clubs.

"The CFA Melbourne has been designed to help evolve, transform and sustain the sporting, commercial and community capabilities of Melbourne City Football Club while also serving as a strong centre of operations for the City Football Group in the Asia Pacific Region."

Melbourne City's first team will now train on the only “DESSO GrassMaster” pitch in Australia – which the club believes is the most advanced football playing surface anywhere in the country.

The club’s youth teams will now have access to the improved training pitches and facilities the first team has vacated.

For the first time, the club’s players will benefit from purpose-built medical facilities for treatment and rehabilitation, including a state-of-the-art hydrotherapy suite, and a custom-designed fitness centre tailored to their needs in preparation, recovery and rehabilitation.

The facility also includes dedicated community pitches for Melbourne City to run additional school-holiday programs and offers local football clubs and visiting community groups the opportunity to tour the facility and watch the A-League team train.

"The CFA Melbourne will give Melbourne City FC year-round access to an elite facility that matches the club’s ambitions and can support its long-term goals," Simon Pearce, vice chairman of Melbourne City FC and board director of the City Football Group, said.

The facility shares elements of its design and functionality with the landmark City Football Academy in Manchester that opened in December 2014 and houses the headquarters of Manchester City.

"The CFA Melbourne is connected directly to our main facility at the CFA in Manchester, operationally, philosophically and aesthetically," Ferran Soriano, CEO of the City Football Group, said.

"It will enable Melbourne City FC to fulfill its significant potential both on and off the pitch while deepening its ties to other clubs in the City family."

691748-melbourne-heart.jpg

Edited by Dylan

378865-7f16f1f2-bd6e-11e4-a5f5-f6d8716b3

This is the best part imo.

I think the location is key, ample room for expansion in the years to come and it was a good move to renovate an older building ,which my understanding is that it was hardly being used, so more bang for buck etc.

I also think you can not underestimate the psychological impact this will have on the entire staff including the players. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 3

If you have these sort of facilties to train everyday, then a player can't have any excuses about poor preparation for hindering a player's performance.

Also, it must be great for any young player who joins the club now knowing that they have the very best facilities to make them better players.

OK - I love the commitment by CFG. The facilities look awesome. Players can be trained properly. The pitches are top notch for passing ball skills - and that is where reality hits me. Most of our pitches where points are earned are going to be crap because the rugby codes share the stadiums. Passing balls along the ground with pitches that have been butchered requires a different set of skills. The only consolation that I have is that the other teams will struggle with the pitch as well.

I think all the expectations we had during the time of the CFG takeover are being realized. We all understood of the capabilities of the group but we were a bit pensive on what would actually be the outcome. I for one was very skeptical on their intentions and commitments mainly because zero information ever came out. In real terms they have created a top notch facility with still room to grow in just over a year. They have been relatively modest in comparison to Manchester but in years to come as the League and club develops so to will the investment. All the critics and moaners can now find something else to bitch about. This facility is a great achievement and I for one are fully pumped and very grateful to CFG. Credit were credit is due.

Now just fix the team.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

seems CFG aren't mucking about.

A lot has been said on how they have come in and done nothing, but it seems their strategy is to let this year run its own course, clear out the deadwood in the playing roster, let JVS have one more year to babysit, if he does well then that is a bonus. Let the club run its course so they can see what is good and what is bad. In the meantime, build the facilities which is quite big for a 1 year achievement.

I assume next year we have a pretty open salary cap to sign players, they may think about a new coach and onwards and upwards from there with more developments in the off season.

378731-0e8337ec-bd6f-11e4-a5f5-f6d8716b3

Jack Clisby and Robert Koren try out the surface.

THEY’RE Abu Dhabi based and their spiritual home is Manchester, but the City Football Group have declared their long-term commitment to the A-League with a spectacular $15m investment.

The City Football Academy, Melbourne, will be unveiled on Friday, and the plush new home of Melbourne City completes a stunning 13-month transition from paupers to A-League princes.

It pales in comparison to the $635m facility in Manchester, but it brings CFG’s total investment to in excess of $30m, including the $11.25m buy in January 2014.

Based at Bundoora’s Latrobe University, it’s just 500 metres from the grounds they’ve trained at since 2010, which will become the training grounds for their youth sides.

379687-59852a26-bd6e-11e4-a5f5-f6d8716b3

The new training surface cost $2m alone.

“This is very important, this is the fundament of what they want to do in the long period they’ve said they’ll be involved. To do that you need good facilities,’’ Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip said.

“If you build a house you need good fundaments and this is all in place now, so from here creating something for the coming years is in place and that’s the first important step.

“It’s not just word, the actions are there.’’

THE SHOP WINDOW

ENTERING the car park, the new administrative headquarters to the left are impressive, but the plush new and uniquely sized pitch to the left steals the show.

No expense was spared as the same machines that installed pitches in Manchester and Paris St-Germain and will now go to Villareal, were used in Bundoora.

378785-88859806-bd6e-11e4-a5f5-f6d8716b3

The laundry facilities.

The DESSO pitch - a hybrid grass system where natural grassroots intertwine with artificial turf fibres - cost $2m alone.

DESSO is believed to be able to withstand three times the wear of a normal pitch.

It’s the attention to detail throughout, starting with the pitch, which stands out.

The dimension caters for 1.5 pitches, but allow up to four full-size orientations, to maintain surface quality.

The result? Australia’s best training pitch, according to City.

“We’re very lucky to have The City Football Group behind us,’’ defender Connor Chapman said.

“I went to Sunderland when I was younger to train and this facility has everything that they had and now there’s no more excuses.

379739-0632401a-bd6f-11e4-a5f5-f6d8716b3

The weights room of the state of the art $15m facility.

“The DESSO pitch is the best in Australia, the facilities are there and now it’s up to us to show we’re quality players.’’

Socceroos striker Josh Kennedy, who’s played in Germany and Japan, said it was comparable to anything he’s seen.

“It’s a top class facility, as far as a sports team and definitely a soccer team goes for Australia or Asia, it’ll be one of the best,’’ Kennedy said.

“Not just because it’s new, but the setup, how the rooms are set out, where the pitch is, how the pitch is.

“Everything’s there, you don’t have to go anywhere for lunch, the offices are there.

“It’s modern, it’s fresh, it’s a nice place to be in.’’

379791-730d4424-bd6e-11e4-a5f5-f6d8716b3

Playing boots await the players.

GYPSIES NO MORE

A 30 metre sky blue rubber mat connects the pitch with the office, with the players’ changeroom and boot room on one side and the gym on the other.

The one-stop-shop is a welcome relief to head of footy ops John Didulica, who’s spent much of recent years sweating about where the team would train the next day.

Now players have less than 10 metres to walk to the coaches’ meeting room or the gym.

“In the old facility we did everything (meetings) in the dressingroom with nothing. Or we had to take players to the office,’’ van’t Schip said.

“Now we step to the next room and we start talking. We have screens, we can invite players, show footage.

379819-81b79bbe-bd6e-11e4-a5f5-f6d8716b3

Corridor leading to the gymnasium.

“It’s a little example but a very important one.

“We never made issues of those things (such as wheelie bin ice baths), the players were professional throughout.

“But if you’re talking about high standards we were way off.

“Everyone has that feeling when they arrive in the morning, that it’s kind of a second home.

“Being together with the administration staff is a big advantage because they’re all part of the club, we’re one big family.’’

378865-7f16f1f2-bd6e-11e4-a5f5-f6d8716b3

Players change rooms built in a circle for team unity.

THE ONE PERCENTERS

EVEN in the offices, everything leads to the pitch, a reminder of the ultimate goal.

Furthest from the pitch are the offices, where the admin staff is based.

But as soon as they come into the main reception area, the pitch is visible down the hallway, and that final straight is where the most staggering level of detail lies.

On the left side it starts with the coaches’ rooms and meeting rooms, followed by the physio room, with the hydrotherapy bath then sandwiching that and the changeroom, which is circular.

Replicating the Manchester changeroom, this is said to eliminate hierarchy, while the lockers are divided into three lots: defenders, midfielders, attackers.

379871-172d984c-bd6f-11e4-a5f5-f6d8716b3

Melbourne, Manchester, New York City and Yokohama F Marions’s logos feature.

Players have electronic access to messages and daily schedules, with a separate changeroom for youth and train on players.

The right wing starts with a large laundry, operated by a full-time employee, then there’s the gym.

The gym starts with a rehab area, the stretching/cardio/weights section is in the middle and symbolically placed by the window closest to the nearby pitch are the exercise bikes, used in the final step of players’ rehab process.

“The way it’s set out and decorated, laid out, it’s a proper professional football setup and that’s how we want to perform,’’ Kennedy said.

378891-77f81a4a-bd6e-11e4-a5f5-f6d8716b3

Playing boots await the players.

“We want to professional, top of the league and it’s a great start to have that behind us.

“If we can perform on the pitch like the way the changeroom looks now then nothing will stop us.

“As far as the setup goes it’ll be one of the best in Australia.’’

Fellow marquee Robbie Koren witnessed huge facilities improvements at both West Brom and Hull City, who have both solidified their top flight status in recent years.

“It’s easy to say that this facility compares to any facility in the UK,’’ Koren said.

“I’ve been part of big changes with both clubs in the UK, they improved a lot in my time there with facilities and the same here and I know from my experience it’s a massive thing for the future.

“It’s something all the players need and every player has everything they need to improve and work hard everyday.’’

BUILDING A NEW CITY

Melbourne City’s home renovation.

Cost: more than $15 million.

Home for? Houses all 35 non-playing staff.

How big? Can hold up to 90 employees.

DESSO pitch: Most advanced playing surface in Australia. Pitch has 20 million-plus artificial grass fibres intertwined with natural grass.

A fan in red with a "Melburnians" scarf on, interesting.

Also interesting that they seem to have retained the idea of fan songs in soundwave form as part of their branding. Harks back to 2012, when a soundwave of Blue Moon was put onto Man City's shirt. I wonder, which one of your songs is represented by that soundwave? Also interesting to see that the facilities can host 90 employees while there are currently only 35. Clearly a lot of expansion planned.

Really glad you guys all are seeing some positive intent now. It's about time - just wish CFG could've shaken up the squad earlier, but (I think?) we did warn that they might try to give JVS time to prove himself in the same way they kept Mark Hughes on when many expected them to dispense with him straight away. Also interested to see that the Academy will be properly unveiled tomorrow (well, today your time, I guess). I'll be interested to read the details of that.

A fan in red with a "Melburnians" scarf on, interesting.

Also interesting that they seem to have retained the idea of fan songs in soundwave form as part of their branding. Harks back to 2012, when a soundwave of Blue Moon was put onto Man City's shirt. I wonder, which one of your songs is represented by that soundwave?

Lol its probably still bluemoon

OK - I love the commitment by CFG. The facilities look awesome. Players can be trained properly. The pitches are top notch for passing ball skills - and that is where reality hits me. Most of our pitches where points are earned are going to be crap because the rugby codes share the stadiums. Passing balls along the ground with pitches that have been butchered requires a different set of skills. The only consolation that I have is that the other teams will struggle with the pitch as well.

I's love that to become a problem for us, at the moment we struggle with basic skills like passing the ball along the ground

To have this built in under a year is a fantastic achievement! We really needed this to put a smile on our faces in comparison to our performance onfield. I live in Reservoir so l will cruise down to Bundoora and check it out this weekend. No expectations this season but am definitely looking forward to next season and seeing what CFG have in store for us.