Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

so caddy you accused me of an insipid and weak approach nothing worth fighting for pathetic. BUT three posts later you are willing to compromise on the name ??????  so fans would except chang then ?

Lol. Nice cherry pick. I never wanted to us to change the name and I'm not happy about it, we can always have an unofficial nickname of Heart though, which is some sort of compromise I can come to terms with.

However relating that to my comments about colours doesn't make sense. Changing colours is too far. You can't have an unofficial colour scheme, and a club's colours are the most fundamental identifier of a club and our fans.

My experience in dealing with English people in management and developments is that they have no regard for the people they are dealing with. They do not take the other parties interests or feelings into account. I know this is a gross generalisation but there is a reason generalisations are made. The English in my experience also do not keep their word or end of agreements unless they are forced to either by a stronger or third party.

I am pessimistic that Man City care at all about Melbourne Heart or our existing supporters. They have not demonstrated or expressed any love for us and my gut feeling is that we have been taken over, not just invested in.

Your not dealing with us English though, Spanish people run the club along with our middle eastern owners, only thing English about us these days is our match going fan base  :(

Because we are all just dying to be absorbed into global company which cares about their brand and marketing it under one umbrella irrespective of what supporters care for and wish for

Going to miss my club

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 3

Lonestay, do you actually read the responses to your posts? When you get such an overwhelmingly negative response to every word you say - even from the other City fans - what exactly is possessing you to keep going? Are you simply trying to create a firestorm of anger and fury against our own club, or are you under the impression that in a few more hours everyone will just give up and convert to your opinion?

• Like 4

Lonestay, do you actually read the responses to your posts? When you get such an overwhelmingly negative response to every word you say - even from the other City fans - what exactly is possessing you to keep going? Are you simply trying to create a firestorm of anger and fury against our own club, or are you under the impression that in a few more hours everyone will just give up and convert to your opinion?

When 'potential' is the only 3 syllable word in your vocabulary, it's hard to understand what other people are saying and understand why they have their pov.

Of course he doesn't realise that the potential is the same or arguably higher if we stay in red and white as opposed to sky blue.

Falastur just intrgued by everyones adamant stance thats all. It will be interesting to see what peoples views are when Melbourne City are top of the league playing sublime football in a top stadium with fantastic training facilities how many people will be yearning for the Heart days of 2000-2014? just saying!

Falastur just intrgued by everyones adamant stance thats all. It will be interesting to see what peoples views are when Melbourne City are top of the league playing sublime football in a top stadium with fantastic training facilities how many people will be yearning for the Heart days of 2000-2014? just saying!

Why can't we do it in our colours?

These accolades would taste so much better without the blue ribbon.

Jesus lonestay just stop and think and for one minute.  Of course there will be people that one day don't care if we are sky blue (if we become that) but they are probably not on this board right now getting the hell pissed off with you. You are repeating yourself and acting like a dick. 

when Melbourne City are top of the league playing sublime football in a top stadium with fantastic training facilities how many people will be yearning for the Heart days of 2000-2014? just saying!

I should hope it's the same people that stuck through that period and stayed adamant that only 'few' things should change if at all. Anyway, not gonna respond in depth to trolling

Clubs are bought and change owners all the time, rarely if ever are colours changed and for good reason.

City's original kit was black & white, i'm sure the change was opposed at the time but now i cant imagine our home kit being anything but sky blue & white

I don't think it was opposed, and I think that's kind of the point. Colours haven't automatically been equivalent with a team's identity. Neither has the team name - in City's first 15 years they went by 5 different names. Many other English clubs were the same. But when national competitions came in and trophies started to mean something, it created the lasting impression that a team had identity based on how it dressed and named itself. We can't compare the first four years of our history with Heart's four years as the huge changes running through football in our early years but which are now cemented in place make the two like chalk and cheese.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 3

Ok fellas, keep it civil ... Season for us is over, let's wait and see what happens over the next few months with regards to our club

Yeah. It's a bad time for Heart supporters, whatever their personal feelings about possible changes. Two horrible seasons, yet another home defeat to finish with, and, despite all the potential positives from the CFG connection, an uncertain future in many respects. We're down, and this is not the time to kick us.

• Like 1

Ok fellas, keep it civil ... Season for us is over, let's wait and see what happens over the next few months with regards to our club

Fair call.

Normally I do, but when someone refuses to listen to reason and keeps sprouting the same bullshit ("you should be grateful we are bending you over") it stretches my patience.

FWIW I can support the best team in the league any day I like- all i need to do is change clubs, after all I have another 9 to choose from, but its not about that, I'd like MY club to be successful.

I wonder why oldmate didn't switch to Man Utd "when they were the envy of the league".

• Like 1

People need to realise, also, that these colours aren't 4 years old, they're over 150 years old!

They are not the colours of Melbourne Heart, they are the colours of Melbourne.

The city of Melbourne has, and always will be, represented by red and white.

+!

What logically coherent argument could you make for changing the franchise name to Melbourne City and changing the strip colours away from the colours of the City of Melbourne?

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

People need to realise, also, that these colours aren't 4 years old, they're over 150 years old!

+!

What logically coherent argument could you make for changing the franchise name to Melbourne City and changing the strip colours away from the colours of the City of Melbourne?

Unfortunately, Bela, because the (proposed) "City" is not a connection to the City of Melbourne, but to the "City" in CFG.

Edited by jw1739

No problem with that, then be honest and call the club Manchester City (Melbourne franchise) FC.

The reality is that we are a franchise, and the licence is majority owned by Manchester City. Just as NYCFC is in the MLS. We cannot escape that. 

I think us being the fans have delivered a clear message to the city group. Let's just sit back and see what happens. There is nothing much we can do right know.

Agreed. The discussion is just going in a circle. Everyone knows the arguments on both sides, we've put our case as best we can and we have to wait and see. Hopefully TA and Co. can emphasise our position tomorrow.

I'm finding it very hard to keep on defending why we should keep the colors and name. After the shit we've served up this season, I'm finding myself more and more detached from the club.

maybe starting from a clean slate wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Could not agree more. I feel the exact same way

I'm finding it very hard to keep on defending why we should keep the colors and name. After the shit we've served up this season, I'm finding myself more and more detached from the club.

That's your opinion and your obviously entitled to that. But, what have our colours got anything to do with us winning football matches. You want to disconnect yourself from the club and don't want to associate with losing and poor results. But that can change and we can still keep our colours. And that's where you will feel most loyalty and passion for the club. If we turn into sky blue and we are successful I have no doubt in your mind you will wish we were still red and white and enjoying the success.

• Like 2

I agree starting from a clean slate is not the worst thing in the world but if we have to do that I would have preferred a complete clean out of staff and players. I want people like Scott Munn gone for starters. Move Hoffman on. Think twice before keeping JVS. etc etc

Oh and get rid that game day announcer while we're at it. 

We didn't do badly because of our colours!!! Our colours are part of why I love Heart. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

+!

Unfortunately, Bela, because the (proposed) "City" is not a connection to the City of Melbourne, but to the "City" in CFG.

But Man City picked the New York City FC crest and colours, colours which are navy blue, white and orange, from the New York City flag (http://www.nycfc.com/news/latest-news/2014/march/badge).

So they have at least gestured that they want each club to represent its own city (and, of course, they have said explicitly about Heart "this will not be a mini Manchester City, this is a Melbourne club" and "so our team here will be a Melbourne team, rooted and developed for the Melbourne fans"). So by their own logic, this club should be representative of Melbourne, and the club colours should be Red and White, in line with the flag of Melbourne (and especially not a colour like sky blue, which has a deep historical connection with NSW and Sydney).

What's especially frustrating about this rumoured colour change is that Man City have said all the right things. That each club would meaningfully represent its home city, and that each club would be respectably autonomous and would do its own thing. Further, Man City have repeatedly spoken of the "City family", suggesting a kind of equality between the clubs, at least in terms of sovereignty and respect (similar to how countries are all recognised as equal at the UN and under international law, even though the means and power of countries differ significantly).

But if the name change and especially the colour change go ahead, against the demands of the majority of Heart supporters, with next to no consultation, then its all been double-talk and BS, and it's all been about the promotion of a global brand from the start. I remember when Soriano did interviews immediately after the takeover, and some journalist asked him "so what's next for the Manchester City empire", and Soriano bristled and shot back "it is not an empire". But I can't think of how else to describe Manchester City or 'the City group' if Heart is completely re-branded, as it's run in a top down manner, run by a small group of powerful elites, there is very little if any popular/democratic input, it pursues its own narrow interests (and above all it wants 'stability'. It doesn't actually care for our interests) and there's a power centre that imposes its whims over its peripheries (Melbourne Australia, America?, Portugal?, Ghana?).

And as has been said, there's no actual reason to throw out Heart's colours, so if Man City does so we'll all know how they operate and where their concerns lie.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 5

From the way the club and their media partners have gone out of their way to hide/not mention the keeptheRedandWhite campaign it seems a forgone conclusion that the sky blue will be brought in.  

Adam Peacock and Mike Cockerill both mentioned Catania so maybe that is where they are heading.

From the way the club and their media partners have gone out of their way to hide/not mention the keeptheRedandWhite campaign it seems a forgone conclusion that the sky blue will be brought in.

As has been said to you guys many many times, the club refusing to comment means nothing. Simply put, City's hierarchy don't say anything about anything until it's been decided, signed off and announced to the public. It's intensely frustrating, but it's how they operate. Sometimes they say nothing when things are true - I.e. when the stories about our training ground revamp were leaked, or the press got wind of Mancini's dismissal before the FA Cup final, and they made themselves look like idiots by refusing to answer questions on Kaka when we tried to sign him in 2009. Sometimes they refuse to respond when stories are false, as with the press saying that Mark Hughes was to be given 6 months and then he'd be sacked (he was hired before the takeover) or when the press said Mancini would be sacked when our form dropped off in Jan 2012, nor in the months before Mansour's takeover, when the press were claiming that our previous owner wanted to change the badge and even the club's name to include Thai symbolism and that he wanted the players to prostrate themselves in his direction before the start of each game. They just don't deny rumours. Ever. They don't ever invite journalists over to take a look around either, which is why Davautovic's story threw me.

That's your opinion and your obviously entitled to that. But, what have our colours got anything to do with us winning football matches. You want to disconnect yourself from the club and don't want to associate with losing and poor results. But that can change and we can still keep our colours. And that's where you will feel most loyalty and passion for the club. If we turn into sky blue and we are successful I have no doubt in your mind you will wish we were still red and white and enjoying the success.

Agree somewhat with your opinion, but the red and white to me atm just symbolising losing and being shit. Outside of selling a couple of youth players (with most of them ending up coming back to the a-league) what has Melbourne heart really achieved/ stand for? Community work? Sure as hell ain't nothing to do with being successful football wise, breaking even is about our biggest achievement so far as a football club.

I was talking with my mate yesterday about the color change, and even though we are against it, would it really stop us from coming to the soccer if the name and colors were to change? There would be a large percentage of people who would keep going to heart games, simply just to catch up and have a drink with mates. I just don't believe the drop off would be that significant tbh, if the name and colours were to change and even than, those people would be back eventually.

Would it be the worst thing in the world to just bury this 4 years of history in the dirt, never to be seen again? At least if we were Melbourne city i know they will deliver on their promises of playing attractive football and giving us success, rather than the lie Melbourne heart have told me for four years.

Agree somewhat with your opinion, but the red and white to me atm just symbolising losing and being shit. Outside of selling a couple of youth players (with most of them ending up coming back to the a-league) what has Melbourne heart really achieved/ stand for? Community work? Sure as hell ain't nothing to do with being successful football wise, breaking even is about our biggest achievement so far as a football club.

I was talking with my mate yesterday about the color change, and even though we are against it, would it really stop us from coming to the soccer if the name and colors were to change? There would be a large percentage of people who would keep going to heart games, simply just to catch up and have a drink with mates. I just don't believe the drop off would be that significant tbh, if the name and colours were to change and even than, those people would be back eventually.

Would it be the worst thing in the world to just bury this 4 years of history in the dirt, never to be seen again? At least if we were Melbourne city i know they will deliver on their promises of playing attractive football and giving us success, rather than the lie Melbourne heart have told me for four years.

There's so much wrong with this attitude I don't know where to start.

• Like 1