Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

I would seriously take a day off work/uni to go down to heart hq and protest if there were growing signs that our name and colours would be changed. Even if it means going down and waving an A4 paper with 'keep the heart' on it for a couple of hours, whatever i could do to get my message across i would.

Heart is the team i've always supported, and it wouldn't feel the same being successful with 'Melbourne city FC'  and playing in sky blue, considering all the shit times we've had to put up with this club, how good will it feel to win with Heart as our name, in red and white stripes?

But lets wait a bit, as said many times, we're judging to conclusions.

• Like 1

I just don't understand why some people are anticipating certain changes when there's no indication whatsoever that they will occur. I also don't understand the obsession of remaining just exactly the same as we were under the Sidwell syndicate ownership, when that group was the subject of so much abuse on here as having no knowledge of football, no interest in making the club successful, no interest in spending any money, and so on and so forth.

Clubs are undergoing changes in ownership on a regular basis. There have been a number in the A-League. Clubs change their colours and their home grounds. Some go bankrupt and arise again; others go bankrupt only to disappear altogether or to be merged with another club.

Our club has new owners, and one of the biggest EPL clubs has an 80% share. I can't think of a better outcome for us. Our new owners share the vision that our club has had from the start - good football, community engagement and development of players. The professionalism and pathways that the new owners offer are an amazing alternative to the mediocrity that we suffered before.

It was inevitable that our club was going to be sold. It could have been to anyone at all, and just as likely to interests that had no knowledge of football and no empathy with football supporters. You're never going to please everyone all of the time, but from what we've heard Manchester City have done everything right for their own club so far, so why should it be any different for Melbourne Heart?

I will vote to retain our colours if I get to vote on the issue. But I'm not going to concern myself with something that may never happen.

It is because there is constant press suggesting it is a fait accompli. There is also mass comments from supporters from other clubs saying it is also a matter of fact that everything is changing. Most of that is them desperate to get what they want and a fair bit of it is trolling. People just need to ignore it all, other supporters are utterly irrelevant in all this no matter how much they think they are.  

Fans CAN do something, but the reality is that most of our fan base is willing to sell its soul for results..

This is, and should be, the mantra for anyone who wants to be successful. 'Whatever it takes' (no reference intended).

Our name isn't our soul - to me. It's so subjective though. It's all just about where each individual draws the line.

Nothing illegal - no worries in my book.

Agreed. Most clubs have changed names, colours in the early years. I just look at this as an evolution of the club. If the club being secure and is going to be able to grow and fulfill what the club originally set out to do it's all good. But at the end of the day people will choose their own path.  

Would like to get rid of the stripes. Like the sash and the 3rd kit but never been a fan of stripes. But then I don't have to wear them and I could get the away kit so no big deal. Would like the Melbourne Cross or Monaco style would be sweet.

viva la ciudad revolucion  :)

Edited by tigerou812
  • Like 1

is there not already a thread for colour change discussions?

IMO this should be more about everything but the colours/name argument... 

That thread is for Kit Design Nerds to show each other their poor designs.

I dont think anything is more relevant to a thread about our New Owners than the discussion about the majority of Heart Supporters wanting to protect the Colours of our Club.

• Like 2

is there not already a thread for colour change discussions?

IMO this should be more about everything but the colours/name argument... 

That thread is for Kit Design Nerds to show each other their poor designs.

I dont think anything is more relevant to a thread about our New Owners than the discussion about the majority of Heart Supporters wanting to protect the Colours of our Club.

LOL, good answer.

"The attitude as much as the resources that come with the $11.25m purchase from Manchester City’s owners ‘The City Group’ will ensure Heart rids itself of the inferiority complex by the time 2014-15 kicks off.

In that sense a name and possibly colour change may not hurt, as Heart’s new owners canvass opinions from the current and potential future supporter base.

The Melbourne City name and sky blue colours would turbocharge the synergy with its Manchester and New York City cousins, thus opening up many more commercial doors."

I usually enjoy reading Davutovic's pieces but what is this tripe? 

Big up-yours to us Heart faithful really, unless I'm reading into it the wrong way.

I think the 3rd quoted sentence somewhat explains the first 2. Davutovic seems to believe in the notion that Man City will pour more money into Heart if we change in a lot of observable ways to mimic Man City FC. And then he seems to think more money, more success, more glamour making it more difficult to be annoyed about changes.

I think he's wrong that Man City will spend much more money on Heart if we mimic Man City FC and effectively become a McMan City in Australia. For starters, there are limits on the amount of money that A-League clubs can spend on most things (a few million on the salary cap squad, then usually a few million a season, at most, on marquees etc.), and the sums of money are very much peanuts for Man City, so I reckon Man City would 'spend big' on Heart just because the sums are so trivial to Man City. Also, there's no real evidence IMO that Man City would spend more/a lot if Heart were largely rebranded. Man City have said they don't want a 'mini-Man City'. Specifically, CEO Soriano said 'So our team here will be a Melbourne team, rooted and developed for the Melbourne fans'. So there has been no suggestions from Man City, as far as I know, that spending on Heart is conditional in any way whatsoever on rebranding.

Also, he's clearly wrong about Heart supporters accepting widespread changes.

As for the inferiority complex/underdog mindset, well, maybe he's thinking of Scott Munn on Twitter.

I agree though that this derby will be the last time that Heart is smaller than Victory in some ways, if only in money and resources. By next season I expect Heart to be bigger than Victory in many ways, if not most ways.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

I hate how the media perceive us supporters as the kind who would gladly trade in the club's culture and identity in return for success. Sure, we've been poor on the field since our inception but I've had a hell of a lot of fun going through both the highs and the lows as a Melbourne Heart supporter wearing my beloved red and white, and I'd never give that up in exchange for success without putting up a fight.

Hell yeah!

You would think that of all the commentators, Lynch and Davutovic would be the two who would have some inkling of what Heart supporters are feeling, and some respect for our point of view. Lynch now gets it at least, but both have initially ignored the fans altogether. Their attitude seems to be that because our supporter base is relatively small, our opinions aren't worth the trouble of investigating.

And I think it creates an unfortunate perception that our club is now nothing but a commercial subsidiary of a wealthy overseas club. For me, our history, as short as it is, and our identity, as fledgling as it may be, is a hell of a lot more important than 'commercial synergies'. 

Edited by Sash
  • Like 4

I hate how the media perceive us supporters as the kind who would gladly trade in the club's culture and identity in return for success. Sure, we've been poor on the field since our inception but I've had a hell of a lot of fun going through both the highs and the lows as a Melbourne Heart supporter wearing my beloved red and white, and I'd never give that up in exchange for success without putting up a fight.

Hell yeah!

You would think that of all the commentators, Lynch and Davutovic would be the two who would have some inkling of what Heart supporters are feeling, and some respect for our point of view. Lynch now gets it at least, but both have initially ignored the fans altogether. Their attitude seems to be that because our supporter base is relatively small, our opinions aren't worth the trouble of investigating.

And I think it creates an unfortunate perception that our club is now nothing but a commercial subsidiary of a wealthy overseas club. For me, our history, as short as it is, and our identity, as fledgling as it may be, is a hell of a lot more important than 'commercial synergies'. 

The owners need our small fan base to build from. Why start from zero when you can start from 7000 minimum. 

That article form Davutovic is deeply concerning. I get the suspicion that line about turbo charging was added by a sub-editor as it seems out of sync with his usual style. If it is just added as click bait then it can be ignored. But what worries me is if Fox and News Limited are pushing for a colour change. Maybe they think it will turbocharge their marketing of the A-League using links to the EPL.

That article form Davutovic is deeply concerning. I get the suspicion that line about turbo charging was added by a sub-editor as it seems out of sync with his usual style. If it is just added as click bait then it can be ignored. But what worries me is if Fox and News Limited are pushing for a colour change. Maybe they think it will turbocharge their marketing of the A-League using links to the EPL.

I have no idea whether there will be a push for a change of colour or not, but I think that you can at least take comfort from the knowledge that if City's owners are looking for advise on the issue, they won't be seeking it from Fox and News Limited. Mansour and his men in all their time in Manchester have never shown any interest in sucking up to the media or leaking stories to them, and they certainly won't be looking for ideas from journalists.

I have no idea whether there will be a push for a change of colour or not, but I think that you can at least take comfort from the knowledge that if City's owners are looking for advise on the issue, they won't be seeking it from Fox and News Limited. Mansour and his men in all their time in Manchester have never shown any interest in sucking up to the media or leaking stories to them, and they certainly won't be looking for ideas from journalists.

I am not suggesting they are. It is more about third parties trying to push their agenda with the public as much as the new owners.

Wait, that's not a real billboard is it? Eeek.

Haha. Oh it's real. I also liked the "this is our homeland" brochure showing a miserable empty stadium on a wet freezing night.

didnt that one have NRL goals as well? lol

It was the 2012-13 membership brochure, the caption was "This is your Heartland", and there was indeed another photograph of a completely empty stadium that appeared to show rugby goalposts. I can never quite make out whether those are real because if you magnify the image they look as though they are a fault with the image rather than real posts.

Would they want that, though? It sounds like when they first heard the news, they were furious. That kind of reaction doesn't always tend to be conducive to wanting to agree terms to join those who angered you, even if it means that you technically get to keep the name, and get a lot more resources besides. Not to mention, if Australian lower-league fans are like English non-league fans, they may actually not even want a path to the big-time.

I have to say, I don't exactly feel comfortable with trying to strong-arm, pay or even talk another club into changing its identity just so that a little rebranding can happen. If it has to be done by stepping over another club, I'd rather that the Heart stayed the Heart. Just my opinion of course.

From what I understand they are very community focused which is in keeping with what our charitable arm 'City in the Community' stands for, what I was meaning was that maybe there's a way they could carry on doing what they do but as an Australian 'City in the Community' (in exchange for use of the name)

Edited by Viva el City

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/vote-which-of-our-five-possible-designs-for-a-new-melbourne-city-aleague-badge-is-best/story-fnk6pqhd-1226844782784

Some more emblem designs by the hearld scum.

Que the FB vomit gif

EDIT- didn't see ando had first posted this in heart in headlines thread apologies.

Edited by kingofhearts

The problem with the press is that Man City won't play their game -not releasing anything to fill a newspaper, so they resort to making stuff up. 

Fortunately I managed to keep my breakfast down (though it was a close run thing) when i looked at those logos.  I can only presume they were prepared by 'tards who are desperate to get back at us.  I'll cut short the rant at that point.

They're all horrendous. Fuck off all these media personalities trying to condition the public that it's a fait accompli that we change to sky blue.

It's imperative as a heart supporter to realise that victory had an influence over this city for 5 years without any rival, and in that time it has been a favourite with many people from all walks of life in this city, including many media personalities. These media personalities cannot be trusted because of their predisposition with victory, and will always seek to undermine melbourne heart in subtle ways. While they can't come out with the meat cleaver and destroy the club, as much as they would like to, they will seek to kill it by a thousand cuts any time they can.

• Like 1

They're all horrendous. Fuck off all these media personalities trying to condition the public that it's a fait accompli that we change to sky blue.

It's imperative as a heart supporter to realise that victory had an influence over this city for 5 years without any rival, and in that time it has been a favourite with many people from all walks of life in this city, including many media personalities. These media personalities cannot be trusted because of their predisposition with victory, and will always seek to undermine melbourne heart in subtle ways. While they can't come out with the meat cleaver and destroy the club, as much as they would like to, they will seek to kill it by a thousand cuts any time they can.

I realy don't think you can say a few new logos that someone has made for the herald sun is either due to a 'victory dominated media' or a victory conspiracy. In fact I've always Thought that if anything the herald sun has been pro heart and we all know davutovic is a closet heart fan.

Tbh who cares if someone has made a few sky blue logos? It's not going to change anything