Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

The day your club, that claims to be a community club, sells to a foreign club which you despise everything they stand for and will be run by another club from a different code. I'm out.

You're misunderstanding what the City network of clubs actually is. We are a global community of clubs that will share scouting resources, player development techniques, opponent data, sponsors, and football philosophy to help each other win. Your name and trademark might change, but Ferran Soriano will put the right people in charge. His motto is to play pretty football, develop local talent and trophies will come. The lads around Melbourne will have a great opportunity to develop as players when he introduces world class youth coaches and methods. Our young lads are destroying their domestic opponents. If that doesn't interest you, fair enough. To everyone else, you're in for one hell of a good time.

Not that it matters really...but.. I had a giggle at that..

The football philosophy of Man City is not to to produce local talent.  It is to buy championships at all costs no matter the debt. 

The day your club, that claims to be a community club, sells to a foreign club which you despise everything they stand for and will be run by another club from a different code. I'm out.

It's a franchise pal.

If you are able to just forget all alliegences and emotion you had and embrace something totally different, from name and kit etc then good for you..

Lol NSL.

• Like 1

The day your club, that claims to be a community club, sells to a foreign club which you despise everything they stand for and will be run by another club from a different code. I'm out.

You're misunderstanding what the City network of clubs actually is. We are a global community of clubs that will share scouting resources, player development techniques, opponent data, sponsors, and football philosophy to help each other win. Your name and trademark might change, but Ferran Soriano will put the right people in charge. His motto is to play pretty football, develop local talent and trophies will come. The lads around Melbourne will have a great opportunity to develop as players when he introduces world class youth coaches and methods. Our young lads are destroying their domestic opponents. If that doesn't interest you, fair enough. To everyone else, you're in for one hell of a good time.

I'm ecstatic on the news - didn't really believe any sale would take place, let alone one of this magnitude.

I hope we stay as the Heart, but I can handle City equally - we've stolen a march on everyone with that as well. And since the Melbourne colours are red-and-white I can't see us changing. Clubs change their names from time to time, so it's not really that big a deal in the overall scheme of things. Those of us who are will always be Foundation Members whatever happens. And I think we'll stay at AAMI Park.

The big thing is that we're part of a world-wide organisation.

Wow!

• Like 1

Best day of my supporting life for the club.

We just went from 0 to 100.

Imagine never having to listen to Scott Munn try convince us that he's going to sign David Beckham, and know our owners pay the wages of 20 footballers better than him.

Love it, and the EPL, glamour connection will be just as big to get new supporters.

4 years of misery to get the owners to sell, is a small sacrifice for the future.

• Like 1

Not that it matters really...but.. I had a giggle at that..

The football philosophy of Man City is not to to produce local talent.  It is to buy championships at all costs no matter the debt. 

First, we don't have a penny of debt and neither will you. You will never have to worry about insolvency or any of that, Mansour will pay out of his pocket.

Second, the children who entered the academy when we reformed are absolutely beasting it at youth level. Silly scorelines and attractive football, tiki taka and all that. The older ones, not so much as they were under the old system. This is probably what your lads will look like in three or four years

We're buying lots of players to be competitive because we don't have the graduates now to compete at the highest level. We will in four or five years.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph in Sydney last night, Soriano promised to make no immediate changes at the club at least for the rest of the season, giving the players, coach John van t' Schip and existing management the opportunity to prove they could be part of the new order.

While Soriano promised to put the full resources of City's burgeoning talent development structure behind Heart, he emphasised that the club had to keep its own Australian identity.

"A very important thing here is that we're here for the long term," Soriano said. "It's not one year or two or three, so if you ask anyone whether football in Australia is going to grow and develop, I think the answer is absolutely yes, very significantly.

"The numbers of people who like and practice football are self-evident. The question is whether it takes two years or 10 [for the game to grow quickly], but we know we're going to be here for 10 years so we don't care which. We prefer if it goes faster, but if it doesn't we'll still be here.

"This is not a small Manchester team, this is a Melbourne team that will use the resources of the City group. Conceptually they are very different so when people ask if we will bring Manchester City players, I say probably not - we're going to bring the players who are needed in Melbourne.

"We have a network of 36 scouts, who will now be looking for players for Melbourne as well."

With van't Schip having only returned to the coaching role less than a month ago in the wake of John Aloisi's sacking, Soriano said he and the existing squad had earned the right to try to prove themselves.

"In every organisation that you want to improve, the first thing is to listen," he said. "So we will not make any significant changes until the season is finished, also out of respect for the current manager, team and staff.

"So we will listen, understand everything in detail, then we will decide very fast and we will execute very fast any changes need to be made. This is the lesson we have learned [from Manchester City and New York City].

"If you look at where Manchester was and is today, it's pretty impressive. But the improvement has been done on the basis of respect for the history, the tradition, and we will do the same thing."

Soriano confirmed that plans were underway to bring the Manchester City squad to Australia to play a game, after the success of the visits last year by bitter rivals Manchester United and Liverpool.

"Yes, we're looking at it," he said. "It's obvious our interest in Australia has been a reality for months, and now it is going to be more clear - one of our aspirations is to bring our English team here, as well as send Australians to Manchester. So we'll be working on this."

Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop said the purchase was a huge vote of confidence for Australian football.

"Football has moved into the mainstream of Australian sport and is ideally placed to benefit from the boom in football across Asia," said Gallop.

"Manchester City and their Australian partners have made a strategic investment and I welcome them to our growing competition. It's another sign that the world is taking notice of Australian football.

"Manchester City and their partners will bring a high level of expertise in football and sports business matters and that can only strengthen the Melbourne Heart and the Hyundai A-League as a whole."

While the Australian partners are also part of the ownership group of National Rugby

League (NRL) club Melbourne Storm, Heart and Storm will remain separate entities.

"The arrangements we have approved will see Manchester City have an 80% share," said Gallop. "There may be some common directors between the Heart and the Storm, but we are comfortable with the plan that the Heart will be largely a separately operated business, similar to the arrangements in Newcastle with the Jets and the Knights."

Making all the right noises at the current minute... so much excite. 

:wormy:

• Like 1

MCFC fan here - welcome to our family. Our owner has been a Godsend for us. Before he came we were a struggling community club with a long history of drama (good and bad). Afterwards we were everything that was good from before but with a professionalism that we could never have imagined. 

Everything you hear from Soriano you can believe. He is relatively new to us but he's got our utmost trust based on his record so far.

I suspect your club will be playing the best football in your league within 3 years and will fill you with joy. If the name and colours change I bet in hindsight you'll think it was a small price.

Wish you the best!

• Like 6