Melbourne Football

The Board

Murfy1

This thread is for the work and decisions of Melbourne Heart FC's board - Peter Sidwell (Chairman), David Kobritz, Michael Catalano, Patrick Prendergast, Ghadir Razuki and Jimmy Goh. 

Let it be noted that not all things are mainly their responsibility, and sometimes it is the CEO, the Football Operations Manager or others who are more responsible. Hopefully by having a dedicated thread, we can more readily discern who deserves praise or blame for what.

Melbourne Heart board with a lot to answer for as club slides to A-League basement

David Davutovic Analysis   Herald Sun   November 17, 2013

MELBOURNE Heart's board is under growing pressure from fans and corporate backers alike to sack under siege coach John Aloisi after Friday's insipid showing against Sydney FC.

Rooted to the bottom of the table with two goals in six games, it's the Heart board that has plenty to answer for after a rapid 18-month demise has culminated in the club becoming the antithesis of its original philosophy.

Declaring attack and youth as their point of difference to neighbours Melbourne Victory, Heart has transformed into an ageing, dour, defensive unit that can't deliver results.

When Heart kicked off in 2010 they recruited a well credentialed foreigner to set the culture and headhunted arguably the best young Australian coach to be groomed by John van't Schip with a view to replacing him.

By the time the Dutchman quit in 2012, Ante Milicic had served a top three-year apprenticeship - coach of the year and first place with NSW state league side Sydney United, two FIFA U20 World Cups with the Young Socceroos and almost three years as an A-League assistant.

But the Heart board backflipped on the Milicic pledge, declaring an interview process would take place.

So what happened?

John Aloisi was a frustrated Sydney FC striker when he met van't Schip and football operations manager John Didulica on the eve of Heart's first season.

He was talked out of retirement by with the promise that he won't be pressured to play each week and - the clincher - a deal that rolled over into a coaching contract at the end of his one-year contract.

Aloisi then commenced his UEFA coaching badges in England and Heart was suitably impressed with his work ethic and determination in recruiting the club's inaugural youth squad.

By the end of his maiden youth league season Craig Goodwin, a player he had plucked from state league side Oakleigh, had broken into the seniors.

Heart's youth team travelled to Hawaii for a tournament against senior opposition and with van't Schip having just quit Aloisi, who was touted a serious contender by Heart's board, was closely watched by chief executive Scott Munn.

The performances were good and Aloisi presented well. He was now on the same line of betting as Milicic.

Both undertook two separate interview processes with Munn and Didulica followed by the Heart board.

Having had years to contemplate life as head coach, Milicic had two non-negotiables in his interview.

He wanted a more experienced coach to assist him, such as Rado Vidosic, and his no.1 target was disillusioned Victory midfielder Carlos Hernandez who Milicic felt could deliver regular finals football and lift crowds.

Aloisi was more flexible and wanted Milicic as his assistant.

Heart's board knew Milicic was the better candidate in football terms but felt Aloisi's profile would help the club bridge the gap between them and Victory, remembering Heart finished sixth, two spots and eight points ahead of Victory that season.

Finances may have also played a part but Heart's board felt with the right support, Aloisi would eventually succeed.

With the ultimate call, chairman Peter Sidwell and his five fellow directors went with Aloisi.

To add insult to injury for Milicic, Heart chief executive Scott Munn tried to block his move to the Wanderers and demanded compensation when Tony Popovic lured him as his assistant.

Heart's given Aloisi ample support and now sports the most beefed up backroom staff in the A-League, yet the team is in disarray and has the hallmarks of a team not playing for its coach.

Goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne has clearly been Heart's best player this season and that's a tell-tale sign.

While Heart's board made the call, Aloisi didn't have to put his hand up for the senior job after an apprenticeship of just 18 youth league games.

Kevin Muscat a fortnight ago said only now, almost three years after retiring and having worked under Ange Postecoglou, does he realise how ill-prepared he was when he coached as interim after a year.

Aloisi has a thicker skin than most, having been scorned - often unfairly - late in his playing career when his knees were that bad he'd rarely train.

But he had that look of resignation after Friday night's 2-0 debacle against a Sydney side whose away form has been as bad as Heart's.

If Aloisi manages to arrest this slump and see out his contract, which expires at the end of the 2014-15 season, it will be a miraculous recovery.

Aloisi has shown plenty to suggest he will become a decent A-League coach, that it will come to fruition at Heart is looking increasingly unlikely.

Unfortunately for Heart, Milicic remains the best Aussie candidate without a senior role.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-board-with-a-lot-to-answer-for-as-club-slides-to-aleague-basement/story-fnk6pqhd-1226761811974

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 5

Going for someone who has a public profile over someone with coaching experience is a trademark of a board who doesn't understand football what so ever.

RESULTS RESULTS RESULTS!!!!!

That's all that matters in football

Bunch of flogs!

I hope they buy into "who weekly" next

Thanks Davutovic for the analysis - I'd be happy to trust that he's got the basic facts correct. So what's done is done but what's important now is what is learnt from this and what the next steps are. When JVS and Nus were hired as support to JA and Foxe it was clear that the inexperienced (football wise) board recognised it had fucked up last year and this was a way to repair the damage. I'm sure that they will give this at least till Christmas to see whether JA can make things happen. JVS arrives this week for his 6 week stint. The clock starts ticking now on JA's coaching position. I'd also bet that contingency plans are also being developed - or at least they should be.

Oh dear... that article was hard-hitting, depressing but all completely and entirely true. 

I mean, I can understand the board's objectives when they decided to go with Aloisi over Milicic but in hindsight, it's turned out to be a nightmare decision.

If the Wanderers proved anything last season, it's that winning games of football on a regular basis brings in crowds and whilst there are many contributing factors to WSW's success, it was getting crowds of around 8000 at the start of the year before the winning streak created the roll-on effect with more and more people showing up. 

Our only claim to fame since our inception has been losing to Perth in a final, winning 5 games in a row mid-season and winning a few derbies here and there, in 4 years. It's simply not good enough.

Edited by Nate
  • Like 2

Murf, that's a good article, providing some insights into the process that I, for one, certainly did not know before.

Previously various people have tried to keep SM and JD well away from what has happened, but this article is interesting in that it tends to draw them into the process rather than absolve them from any responsibility.

I'm pleased to see that this sort of thing is now appearing. I want this club to go back to its original values and to be successful on and off the field. The downwards spiral that many of us on here have been talking about for some time must be stopped and reversed. And the sooner the better.

• Like 2

Murf, that's a good article, providing some insights into the process that I, for one, certainly did not know before.

Previously various people have tried to keep SM and JD well away from what has happened, but this article is interesting in that it tends to draw them into the process rather than absolve them from any responsibility.

I'm pleased to see that this sort of thing is now appearing. I want this club to go back to its original values and to be successful on and off the field. The downwards spiral that many of us on here have been talking about for some time must be stopped and reversed. And the sooner the better.

I read it as meaning that they thought Ante was the better candidate but Peter Sidwell decided John would be better due to his public profile?

We are speculating as to what SM and JD recommended to the Board, in any case it is the Board's decision as it's the Board's money. Bad decision, now they have to repair the damage to their investment. This isn't quite the same as a Board of a public company that only has a role in governance and strategic direction, these guys are also the owners of the club, I don't think that there are any independent directors on the Board unfortunately.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

I didn't realise that J.A. was on a three year deal. What kind of board hires a coach whose only experience is coach of a pretty average youth team for one season and hands him a three year deal. FFS.

With the sacking of J.A. being inevitable, I fear for who the board will hire...do we trust them? I love this club to bits, but the board make it so damn hard at times. 

The Board has shown ability to learn from mistakes, the real question is how much money are they prepared to spend?

Curious to know what it's learnt??? Because all I have seen is mistake after mistake. I find it difficult to see how they have learnt from mistakes and actually gone backwards as a club from when jvs left. It seems the board did not consider the 'what if' questions enough in their decision making. Using aloisi as a marketing tool but 'what if' it doesn't work, how will that reflect on his career and on the club? The whole believe campaign, 'what if' we struggle like we are now, how long will it take for the believe campaign to not fit our situation and become obsolete?

How many injuries to our 30+ year old stars will it take before they have a process that's works to determine if a player is worth taken on. These players are monitored through everything and to constantly be getting injured tells me it's either poor decisions for taking on players with injuries or poor body maintenance due to our staff not being good enough.

Every time we take a step forward we have taken two steps backwards.

I didn't realise that J.A. was on a three year deal. What kind of board hires a coach whose only experience is coach of a pretty average youth team for one season and hands him a three year deal. FFS.

With the sacking of J.A. being inevitable, I fear for who the board will hire...do we trust them? I love this club to bits, but the board make it so damn hard at times.

Haha. I'm a contractor and even myself with 15years of dev experience get 6m contracts.

We are speculating as to what SM and JD recommended to the Board, in any case it is the Board's decision as it's the Board's money. Bad decision, now they have to repair the damage to their investment. This isn't quite the same as a Board of a public company that only has a role in governance and strategic direction, these guys are also the owners of the club, I don't think that there are any independent directors on the Board unfortunately.

Bela, well it is the Board's money (and I have said that often in the past) but it is also our money as well though our memberships/season-tickets. Mrs. JW and I are Foundation Members and like many others we joined up because of the values that the club said it had, and that at the time seemed to offer something different from the other A-League clubs. Together we've put over $4000 into our season-tickets. I'm not blaming the Board for each individual decision along the way (that would be ridiculous) but they have overseen what has happened. We and others have seen all our original coaching team leave the club (JvS, Olsen, Milicic and Zois), all but two, I think, of our original players leave (Hoffman and Kalmar remain, with Behich back on loan), our ticket cost per home game rise from $33 to $42, the loss of the after-game get-togethers in the Westpac Room, and virtual abandonment of the development and promotion of young players in favour of older crocks. Other season-ticket holders have lost benefits too - such as admission to derbies for country members, and now the cost impost on GA members to get derby tickets. All this has gone on whilst on-field performance has spiralled downwards and has now hit rock-bottom.

Of course change will take place over time, none of us have to remain as season-ticket holders, and we can walk away at any time we wish. But I submit that that is not the point. I believe that the path the Board has taken has moved us all away from what we thought we were committing to, and as such I feel let down.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 6

Got my hands on the print version of this article and the headline on page 56 reads:

"Only a miracle can save Heart coach

ALO GOODBYE"

It's also longer than the online article with some interesting extras:

"A repeat of two of the Sydney performance and Aloisi will almost certainly lose his job.

The reason it's difficult picturing Heart arresting this slump is that Aloisi persists with virtually the same players in the same formation. Predictably Nick Kalmar was the first player subbed on Friday when the team would have been better served by dragging Paulo Retre and dropping Kalmar deeper with Heart 2-0 down.

There was no change in shape, no risks taken."

Edited by HEARTinator

bit of a long post, to try and understand where the board are coming from, and what real mistakes they have made...

The context of A-League coaches was very interesting when Aloisi was signed in May 2012. By our second season (2011-12), a clear trend was emerging of Australian coaches topping the league, and foreign coaches showing no obvious superiority to Australian coaches. Dutchman Rini Coolen was sacked mid-season and replaced by John Kosmina. Then at the start of our third season, Victory replaced foreign coach Jim Magilton with Postecoglou (a few weeks before we signed Aloisi), Roar replaced Ange with Vidosic (who had never coached a fully professional team BTW), WSW were targetting Popovic and the only 'foreign' coaches were longtime residents of Australia Ian Crook, Mike Mulvey and Ian Ferguson.

So, understandably, Heart looked at 2 Australian coaches, and aimed to recruit within. 

But then by the middle of our third season, it became abundantly clear that mediocre or rookie coaches can't survive in the A-League, as incredibly 5 coaches were sacked well before the end of the season. The best coaches, Postecoglou, Arnold and Popovic, then went on to top the league that season (Postecoglou and Arnold would prove to be too good for the A-League and both have moved on to greener pastures. I'm tipping a tough time for their inexperienced replacements, if recent seasons are anything to go by, and I reckon both teams could now easily fall outside of the top 4).

Marquees were also proven to be valuable game-changers, especially if they complemented the team they played in. And sure enough we signed 2 marquees in Engelaar and Kewell, but tragically we've gotten next to no game time out of either of them. But still, coaches were shown to be much more important and essential in the A-League.

IMO, the Heart board has made two big mistakes. The first was opting for Aloisi over Milcic (of course). The second was skimping on our budget for players during our second and third seasons. The second mistake significantly compounded the first, as whilst JVS was able to do a lot with less (guiding us to the finals in his second season with a bunch of teenagers), Aloisi simply couldn't produce results with a cheap team that consisted of aging Australian veterans (Colosimo, Thompson, etc.) and cheap VISA players (Germano, Gerhardt, Tadic, Fred).

I agree with Belaguttman that the board has shown a willingness to learn and improve, as shown by the board stumping up a significantly larger budget for players this season, as well as sending Aloisi and Foxe to Europe in pre-season to further their coaching educations and surrounding them with a quality coaching staff (all of which has proved to be insufficient, but they clearly identified the coaching problem and tried to solve it). The board provided the funds to significantly improve the squad (it's not a great squad, but no A-League squad is great), now the question is: 'is the board willing and able to go all the way to fix our coaching situation'? They've pretty much done half the work by improving our squad, they just need to stop being stubborn and improve our coaching situation.
Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 5

Bela, well it is the Board's money (and I have said that often in the past) but it is also our money as well though our memberships/season-tickets. Mrs. JW and I are Foundation Members and like many others we joined up because of the values that the club said it had, and that at the time seemed to offer something different from the other A-League clubs. Together we've put over $4000 into our season-tickets. I'm not blaming the Board for each individual decision along the way (that would be ridiculous) but they have overseen what has happened. We and others have seen all our original coaching team leave the club (JvS, Olsen, Milicic and Zois), all but two, I think, of our original players leave (Hoffman and Kalmar remain, with Behich back on loan), our ticket cost per home game rise from $33 to $42, the loss of the after-game get-togethers in the Westpac Room, and virtual abandonment of the development and promotion of young players in favour of older crocks. Other season-ticket holders have lost benefits too - such as admission to derbies for country members, and now the cost impost on GA members to get derby tickets. All this has gone on whilst on-field performance has spiralled downwards and has now hit rock-bottom.

Of course change will take place over time, none of us have to remain as season-ticket holders, and we can walk away at any time we wish. But I submit that that is not the point. I believe that the path the Board has taken has moved us all away from what we thought we were committing to, and as such I feel let down.

Excellent comment JW, im sure we are all in the same boat. 

Only this morning My Mrs has said to me "are we still gonna go to away games?

Having attended 10 away games ( outside of Victoria ) in the last 3 yrs, most of them together we have forked out over $8K 

.... I didnt have an answer for her , just a shrug of the shoulders and a grunt ... You can't just go to Nix or Glory on a whim eh !!

God I hope there is a change , not only at club level but in our fortune too

This thread is for the work and decisions of Melbourne Heart FC's board - Peter Sidwell (Chairman), David Kobritz, Michael Catalano, Patrick Prendergast, Ghadir Razuki and Jimmy Goh. 

Let it be noted that not all things are mainly their responsibility, and sometimes it is the CEO, the Football Operations Manager or others who are more responsible. Hopefully by having a dedicated thread, we can more readily discern who deserves praise or blame for what.

I bet none of those business men would have known the difference between a soccer ball from a basketball before they were conned into put money into the new Melbourne A-league franchise by FFA a few years ago.

The promise of bucket loads of cash on return for their investment is so far from reality they are all wishing that someone will relieve them from this nightmare. Reason why the club has been on the market now for over 12 months.

The coach is one of the many problems plaguing this club......when people look to on field issues they first need to fix the off field ones... 

The Club has ticked a few boxes this year:

• renewed the sponsors
  • put in place plans for an academy
  • brought more experience to the club's coaching roster
  • conducted a decent scouting campaign for the youth team
  • signed some classy players

What has been left outstanding are:

• decent training facilities.  People can say what they like but for long term success you need to provide the best for your players. Even if its only to make them FEEL like winners, though I think there are a lot more benefits than that.
  • experienced head coach.

I know there is a lot of talk about getting in a master coach, but honestly if we could afford it I'd rather that cold hard was spent on some decent training facilities and instead we hired an up and comer as coach, (who had served his apprenticeship). 

• Like 2

What you find when you surf the web

https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/RegistrySearch/faces/landing/panelSearch.jspx?searchType=OrgAndBusNm&searchText=Melbourne+Heart&searchTab=search&_adf.ctrl-state=15058gb6hj_58

You'll find two names of interest on the ASIC register, Melbourne Heart FC Pty Ltd and South Melbourne Hearts FC registered in June 2013. So clearly some one/group anticipating change a ownership or just having a laugh.

What you find when you surf the web

https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/RegistrySearch/faces/landing/panelSearch.jspx?searchType=OrgAndBusNm&searchText=Melbourne+Heart&searchTab=search&_adf.ctrl-state=15058gb6hj_58

You'll find two names of interest on the ASIC register, Melbourne Heart FC Pty Ltd and South Melbourne Hearts FC registered in June 2013. So clearly some one/group anticipating change a ownership or just having a laugh.

http://www.abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?abn=32102241252

The business names south melbourne hearts fc and football club are registered to south melbourne. so definitely not having a laugh. As you can see they were both registered in may around the time that the first offer was made for Heart.

The Melbourne Heart FC Pty Ltd is our current club

and instead we hired an up and comer as coach, (who had served his apprenticeship). 

Didnt we already have one of those?

No.  We have a guy who thought he'd like to try senior coaching, but had never done it before. 

An "up and comer" has actually done some senior coaching before, albeit at a lower level, or a less senior role.  When I said "served his apprenticeship" i meant long enough to learn something and working for someone who knew their stuff.  Clealry Ante Milicic would tick this, with about 4 years as an A League assistant, plus success at a lower level.  Ante isn't the only one though, just the most obvious.

What you find when you surf the webhttps://connectonline.asic.gov.au/RegistrySearch/faces/landing/panelSearch.jspx?searchType=OrgAndBusNm&searchText=Melbourne+Heart&searchTab=search&_adf.ctrl-state=15058gb6hj_58

http://www.abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?abn=32102241252

The business names south melbourne hearts fc and football club are registered to south melbourne. so definitely not having a laugh. As you can see they were both registered in may around the time that the first offer was made for Heart.

The Melbourne Heart FC Pty Ltd is our current club Agree. Not an expert on this but the South Melbourne bid would have amounted to a transfer of current assets of Melbourne Heart FC Pty Ltd to the new organisation South Melbourne Hearts FC effectively run by SMFC. Effectively a transfer from Red&White to Blue&White.

I think that we are all saying pretty much the same things. The Board made some crucial strategic serious errors of judgement, I think that they recognise these errors but are clearly taking too long to address them. It has cost us all through our emotional connection to the club and cost us all financially. It's cost the Board members more financially but that is little consolation to us. I hope that it isn't a choice between good training facilities and a good coach, we need both, and no good coach would accept wheelie bins. Bielsa almost walked out of Athletic because of its training facilities and no decent coach would take the job without the guarantee. If the Board can't commit then hand the license back to FFA or find a new buyer who will.

If you said we had 6,500 members for each of four seasons, at an average membership cost of $200, that works out at $5.2m. Add casual gate receipts.

Now I don't know what the actual figures are, but Joe Public has put several million dollars into Heart.

Then add the sponsorship money plus FFA costs.

Non-Board commitments are pretty hefty when you add them all up.

Edited by jw1739

Interesting to read this from earlier times.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/hearts-pounding-20120128-1qn8s.html

Also it's worth looking up via Google some details on our Board members. There's some serious wealth kicking around there. Someone like Jimmy Goh could be the sole owner and not notice what the club would cost him each year.

All this talk that "there's no money" is, quite frankly, nonsense. So collectively our Board members "tipped $1.5m" into the club last season - that's $250,000 each if they have equal shares - they wouldn't have noticed that in the overall scheme of their personal finances.

We need to put things into perspective. When you look at how much season-ticket holders, collectively, are putting into the club each season, then it's quite appropriate that we should have a voice in what goes on.

• Like 1

Also it's worth looking up via Google some details on our Board members. There's some serious wealth kicking around there. Someone like Jimmy Goh could be the sole owner and not notice what the club would cost him each year.

All this talk that "there's no money" is, quite frankly, nonsense. So collectively our Board members "tipped $1.5m" into the club last season - that's $250,000 each if they have equal shares - they wouldn't have noticed that in the overall scheme of their personal finances.

We need to put things into perspective. When you look at how much season-ticket holders, collectively, are putting into the club each season, then it's quite appropriate that we should have a voice in what goes on.

I think someone said a while ago that in terms of club owners wealth we are one of the richest clubs, in those terms. It's just the money that's invested in the club is less. If that makes sense. Don't know how true it is, but that's what I read on here at some stage.

There's no money doesn't mean that the owners are stretched, it means that their understanding of a football club and how it operates is a long way from the reality. Its sort of like buying an ocean going yacht and being surprised that it isn't a profitable hobby.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

Clive Palmer decided to fold his club and limit the number of fans in the stadium.  He's rich as piss.

Agree that Heart's current investors actually hold a lot of wealth.

But at the same time, you don't want investors to just continue to pour money into a club. There's a good argument that if clubs receive too much money, they don't learn how to make the most of what they've got, and they don't learn how to make savvy decisions. Take Sydney FC, for example. They spend way too much money on mediocre squads, and continue to recruit and re-sign poor players, arguably because they have so much money to work with. The same is true of many Middle eastern clubs, that are all awash in money, and consequently overspend on mediocre local players (and persist with re-signing and overpaying them), and when they do bring in foreign talent, they pay several hundred thousand dollars for hacks like Billy Celeski.

At the same time clubs should spend a reasonable amount of money (this isn't an ode to poverty), and new clubs especially should spend a good amount of money during their first few seasons, until these clubs have a stable and successful foundation to build upon.

Edited by Murfy1