Melbourne Football

Orlando Engelaar

Murfy1

Confirmation from the club of the seriousness of the Injury.

Season  definitely ended.

Melbourne Heart FC midfielder Orlando Engelaar will undergo surgery tomorrow evening on a fractured left tibia.

Following tomorrow’s surgery, and after consultation with the Club’s medical staff, the Club will put in place a rehabilitation program for Engelaar.

“The Club does not wish to put in place a time line for recovery until the surgical process has concluded," General Manager Football Operations, John Didulica, said.

“Our number one priority is to support Orlando and manage his health and well-being in what is obviously a challenging time.”

There will be no further comment from the Club at this stage.

Edited by MARKMILES

Bumped into a member of Heart staff today and can fill you in. It's actually a shaft of tibia fracture that required a rod / nail - a worse scenario than I posted above. I checked with my orthopod today out of interest - a good five to six months to come back from this is the best case scenario. He was insured as of last Friday morning so club have dodged a bullet there. Generally people at the club really down about this - it was explained to me how much effort went in to getting him to Heart and how keen and excited staff were when he arrived. Attempts are being made to find a replacement marquee with acknowledgement this is difficult at the moment - but with European window closing on (??) Monday, the dust will settle and possibly a disillusioned or out of favour option available. To find an Australian of this quality is very difficult given limited market options and availability.

I am reassured the club are now actively searching and are getting on with it. Cudos to them - they know they have to get cracking. And no finality on McGrath - decision still to be made and nothing locked in.

Thanks for the info.

Everyone here im sure appreciates how tough it must be for the club right now and, yes, cudos for not sitting back and doing nothing.

It would be reassuring if the club didn't give us the "no further comment at this stage" atleast for us members because thie is massive.

• Like 2

Bumped into a member of Heart staff today and can fill you in. It's actually a shaft of tibia fracture that required a rod / nail - a worse scenario than I posted above. I checked with my orthopod today out of interest - a good five to six months to come back from this is the best case scenario. He was insured as of last Friday morning so club have dodged a bullet there. Generally people at the club really down about this - it was explained to me how much effort went in to getting him to Heart and how keen and excited staff were when he arrived. Attempts are being made to find a replacement marquee with acknowledgement this is difficult at the moment - but with European window closing on (??) Monday, the dust will settle and possibly a disillusioned or out of favour option available. To find an Australian of this quality is very difficult given limited market options and availability.

I am reassured the club are now actively searching and are getting on with it. Cudos to them - they know they have to get cracking. And no finality on McGrath - decision still to be made and nothing locked in.

Thanks for the info.

Everyone here im sure appreciates how tough it must be for the club right now and, yes, cudos for not sitting back and doing nothing.

It would be reassuring if the club didn't give us the "no further comment at this stage" atleast for us members because thie is massive.

I doubt that the club will rush into further statements about OE. They'll want to talk though the whole situation with Orlando before making further comment. It's not only about the technicalities of his injury management, but also about the future prospects he might have with the club, and also about the situation with him and his family.

Thanks for the info.

I doubt that the club will rush into further statements about OE. They'll want to talk though the whole situation with Orlando before making further comment. It's not only about the technicalities of his injury management, but also about the future prospects he might have with the club, and also about the situation with him and his family.

Agree, even if he returns to football with us next season, he's unlikely to be a marquee at 35.

Thanks for the info.

Agree, even if he returns to football with us next season, he's unlikely to be a marquee at 35.

What are you saying? More smart business from the club?

Thanks for the info.

What are you saying? More smart business from the club?

I'm saying that at 35 and with a year out of the game, it'll be hard to make a case that any player in that situation is a marquee signing. He may be on the player list but hardly a marquee. Shit happens.

My best mate goes to uni with Joey Didulica, got her to ask about the injury, just got this:

"Joey said that the guy is out for the season. He's got a clean break. They paid half a million for him & only played 25mins. Now they are looking for a new striker"

so we aren't signing McGrath then?

Does anyone know if McGrath is still trialing with the club? If so, surely he starts against Oakleigh on Wendesday

I'll be at the Oakleigh game and I'm certainly hoping that we are going to see McGrath start for us. It's not as if we don't know what our other forwards are capable of - for the past six games against A-League opposition not much at all. Sometimes I wonder about what it is we're looking for in players - quite a few have passed through our fingers who looked pretty suitable to me but somehow didn't make it.

My best mate goes to uni with Joey Didulica, got her to ask about the injury, just got this:

"Joey said that the guy is out for the season. He's got a clean break. They paid half a million for him & only played 25mins. Now they are looking for a new striker"

So it seems that JA and JD think the team can manage without a like-for-like replacement for Engelaar but the clear worry is that we don't have someone who can be relied upon to bang them in, week in week out. Nothing new there   :(

Edited by HEARTinator

Anything about an injury replacement?

I tried to get her to ask but she just said that they're looking, not sure if that means looking for a replacement or the striker.

Wassnt it suggested a while ago a clean break would be best case scenario because its less messy?

The situation with Engelaar is terribly unfortunate and devastating for everyone associated with the club - especially for the player himself and his family.

The nature of Football is that severe injuries will occur from time to time.  Its just plain old bad luck for Heart that our first ever marquee will most probably not play at all this season.

I believe after everything is said and done this situation can still end up as a positive.  It certainly makes a good story and will forever remain part of the history of Heart FC. 

I hope that we are the type of club that will look after Orlando over the next few months and still make him feel part of the team.  I hope that as soon as he is physically capable, he is allowed to get involved in training, tactics and match days.  Lets face it, he has almost a full career of experience at the highest level.  Surely he can help still in developing our players and I reckon even on one leg he is capable of putting the fear of god into our midfielders if they dont train or play well.

Ultimately if he is made to feel part of the club and not a burden, and if he is able to recover from his injury, he will probably feel like he owes the club a debt of gratitude and I think that unless he retires, at 35 he will still be good value a season from now.

• Like 5

"Meanwhile, Aloisi said Heart's Dutch marquee signing Orlando Engelaar, who fractured his tibia in a recent pre-season match, would not need surgery, but would not run for three months and might not play again for up to six months."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1166357/Leader-Kewell-targets-major-goals

Hmmm. This implies he could not be back till March. I feel like it would be better to forget about him this season. 

• Like 1

"Meanwhile, Aloisi said Heart's Dutch marquee signing Orlando Engelaar, who fractured his tibia in a recent pre-season match, would not need surgery, but would not run for three months and might not play again for up to six months."

Hmmm. This implies he could not be back till March. I feel like it would be better to forget about him this season. 

So he didn't have the surgery or he did and Aloisi was not advised?

Why did JD say that the player was going to have the surgery last week? Not sure of which day that was announced by could have been last Wednesday, with the surgery on Thursday and the club saying there was going to be no more comments about rehab time until after the surgery.

Does anyone at the club talk with one another or is there some sort of disconnect?

This does not suprise me one bit....10 days after major injury to a marque player, who was billed as being one of the most important signings this club has ever made, and there is conflicting information coming from various sources within the club as to whether the player had surgery or not to his leg.

My news is that the insurance was done a few days before he injured himself, they are replacing him, but we are looking after him as well as he did bring his family down to start fresh in aussie land.

So his time with heart is ogre?

rofl WD

Yes, our next signing is Shrek.

Moyes won't let Rooney leave though.

So he didn't have the surgery or he did and Aloisi was not advised?

Why did JD say that the player was going to have the surgery last week? Not sure of which day that was announced by could have been last Wednesday, with the surgery on Thursday and the club saying there was going to be no more comments about rehab time until after the surgery.

Does anyone at the club talk with one another or is there some sort of disconnect?

This does not suprise me one bit....10 days after major injury to a marque player, who was billed as being one of the most important signings this club has ever made, and there is conflicting information coming from various sources within the club as to whether the player had surgery or not to his leg.

In fairness, I don't think the club did not say that OE had had the surgery, just that he was going to. This is the news release last Wednesday.

'Melbourne Heart FC midfielder Orlando Engelaar will undergo surgery tomorrow evening on a fractured left tibia.

Following tomorrow’s surgery, and after consultation with the Club’s medical staff, the Club will put in place a rehabilitation program for Engelaar.

“The Club does not wish to put in place a time line for recovery until the surgical process has concluded," General Manager Football Operations, John Didulica, said.

“Our number one priority is to support Orlando and manage his health and well-being in what is obviously a challenging time.”

There will be no further comment from the Club at this stage.'

It's quite possible that the medical team assessing Engelaar changed their minds, or that surgery was rejected for some other reason.

However, I agree with you on two points. One, we can forget about Orlando for this season. Everything points to the club chasing a replacement, including a tweet today from Munn. Two, IMHO it is time for a more clarity on the injury situation for all players, not just Engelaar.

• Like 1