Melbourne Football

Orlando Engelaar

Murfy1

FUCK YOU BERISHA!!!! The only good thing is that its a fracture, not a break, won't take as long to recover

There's a lot wrong here kingofhearts :droy:

Apologies, was broich, but I'm confused by what they mean by fracture, are you saying they mean broken? I've fractured my wrist before so I thought it was similar to that

It also depends where the fracture is on the bone. It heals much faster at the top and bottom of the bone compared to the middle. So with the club initially saying its a "bruised shin", that could mean its near the top which would be at least better. Still looking at 8-10 weeks as apposed to 16 or more if it were in the middle.

Fractured fibula

Although the fibula is the smaller of the two shin bones it is still a potentially serious injury. However there is usually a shorter recovery period associated with a fractured fibula namely 9-12 weeks whereas a fractured tibia can take up to 6-12 months.

Should a fractured fibula be treated surgically?

The closer a fibula fracture is to the ankle joint, the more likely it is to require surgery. This is because a fibula fracture has the potential to disrupt the stability of the ankle joint. If the syndesmosis (structure between the tibia and fibula) is disrupted during a fibula fracture, then surgery is usually required to stabilise this area. 

On 23 February 2008, Eduardo da Silva of Arsenal suffered a broken left fibula and open dislocation of his ankle from a tackle by Martin Taylor of Birmingham City. He returned to professional play the following year.

Let's hope Engelaar only fractured his Fibula!  :unsure: 

• Like 1

A devastating injury, but our squad is still pretty fucking good. A lot will hinge on who that international striker will be, but i believe we'll have a strong enough side to stay in touch and hold our own.

Redmayne

Walker  Vrankovic  Wielaert  Behich

Murdocca      Gerhardt

Mebrahtu        Kewell        Ramsay

(International Striker)

Bench.
Velaphi
Williams
McGrath

Kalmar

Germano

Wielaert >>>> Colosimo

Behich >>> Mitchinson/Coyne
McGrath >>> Macallister

Kewell >>> Fred (I can't see kewell being anywhere near as injury prone as Fred, we'll actually see Kewell on the field this year)

Murdocca >>> Thompson

International Striker needs to be = Tadic

I'm hoping Wielaert can have a similar influence as Madaschi 

A devastating injury, but our squad is still pretty fucking good. A lot will hinge on who that international striker will be, but i believe we'll have a strong enough side to stay in touch and hold our own.

Redmayne

Murdocca      Gerhardt

(International Striker)

Given Engelaar's injury, I'm 100% with you - that team basically picks itself.

Redmayne

Murdocca      Gerhardt

(International Striker)

Bench.

Velaphi

Williams

McGrath

Kalmar

Germano

Wielaert >>>> Colosimo

McGrath >>> Macallister

Kewell >>> Fred (I can't see kewell being anywhere near as injury prone as Fred, we'll actually see Kewell on the field this year)

Murdocca >>> Thompson

This.

As good as Orlando will be, if we're solely relying on him to be a competitive side then we were already doomed to begin with.

I'm confident we've got enough depth to cover him for however long he's out for and then his return will be a massive boost for us.

• Like 1

Redmayne

Murdocca      Gerhardt

(International Striker)

Bench.

Velaphi

Williams

McGrath

Kalmar

Germano

Wielaert >>>> Colosimo

McGrath >>> Macallister

Murdocca >>> Thompson

This.

As good as Orlando will be, if we're solely relying on him to be a competitive side then we were already doomed to begin with.

I'm confident we've got enough depth to cover him for however long he's out for and then his return will be a massive boost for us.

I think that's actually been our downfall over the last couple of seasons, and if not last season then most certainly two seasons ago. We were so dependant on Fred, and when he suffered those hamstring injuries, we just wouldn't, or should I say couldn't, perform. We were almost the definition of a one man team...

Until I hear differently I am expecting he is out for the season. We are still short a quality midfielder and striker if we are going to push near the top of the ladder. Still have a very inexperienced manager who talks about styles of football but has of yet not shown said style of football for a full competitive match.

so disappointing but you have to play the hand you're dealt.  it'd be nice to know the club had an insurance policy to cover, etc. (and from memory, the whole kerfuffle around Culina a few seasons ago included the fact that GCU didnt actually have insurance so fingers crossed there).

IIRC Grella came out with a pretty high opinion of the club of how the club handled the situation so hopefully that can be followed here. 

plus, if all goes well, we could have Engelaar back for the second half of the season.  Providing he then gets fit that would be a massive addition to the squad.

or perhaps i'm just looking for a silver lining / positive outta this :unsure: