Melbourne Football

Orlando Engelaar

Murfy1

Honestly that Engelaar performance was one of the best single performances ive seen in a heart shirt and the bloke barely looked like he was running half the time. Some of his weighted diagonal passes in behind to more advanced players were absolutely sublime. If he can bring that level of performance regularly we don't need to look any further for our marquee for next season.

Honestly that Engelaar performance was one of the best single performances ive seen in a heart shirt and the bloke barely looked like he was running half the time. Some of his weighted diagonal passes in behind to more advanced players were absolutely sublime. If he can bring that level of performance regularly we don't need to look any further for our marquee for next season.

Huge call. Hopefully he's willing to take a pay cut and be fitted into the cap.

Wow JA is a protected species. Even Engelaar won't go there. His reactions to the question "what has changed to start the winning" is the same old... "luck, form on the day, confidence etc". Couldn't he at least say something like "we are having success with different game plans". Doesn't someone have the balls to put even 1% of the blame JA deserves on him? It's almost like JVS is invisible. 

Edited by Alexxandro
  • Like 1

Wow JA is a protected species. Even Engelaar won't go there. His reactions to the question "what has changed to start the winning" is the same old... "luck, form on the day, confidence etc". Couldn't he at least say something like "we are having success with different game plans". Doesn't someone have the balls to put even 1% of the blame JA deserves on him? It's almost like JVS is invisible. 

I don't think you'll get any player - or even coach - to make that sort of comment while they're still with the club. Even less likely now since the change in ownership and the future that beckons for our club as part of the City Football Group.

We might hear some comments when players are released in due course, but generally speaking it's best to keep quiet while you're still playing. Never wise to foul your own nest.

Yeah you're right- I'm just frustrated. It's really journalists who should show show a bit of nerve. 

Look, JA is gone and we all know he was the main reason why we had such a shit run and I bet all people including journalists and players/staff knew this. I dont see the need for it to be said public now and for everyone to keep pouring shit over him and the club. Its over and everyone has moved on.

• Like 3

Can imagine if this bloke hadn't have broken his leg in pre season we would have managed a few wins in the first half of the season. Enough for JA to probably still be in the job. May have been a positive in hind sight.

I don't agree, his broken leg saved him from the effects of the Aloisi football devolution. If he'd played we would have seen his skills quickly devolve just like all the other players. I'm not surprised that he had so much room though, Roar players were frightened of him and often backed off him. It'll take a while before HAL players work him out and devise a successful strategy to contain him, in the meanwhile long may he reign

• Like 1

Can imagine if this bloke hadn't have broken his leg in pre season we would have managed a few wins in the first half of the season. Enough for JA to probably still be in the job. May have been a positive in hind sight.

I don't agree, his broken leg saved him from the effects of the Aloisi football devolution. If he'd played we would have seen his skills quickly devolve just like all the other players. I'm not surprised that he had so much room though, Roar players were frightened of him and often backed off him. It'll take a while before HAL players work him out and devise a successful strategy to contain him, in the meanwhile long may he reign

At the match I felt that in the first fifteen minutes there was one player trying to mark him but due to his size and strength he toyed with them. Then towards the end of the first half two players tried to mark him to no avail. In the second half there always seemed to be three players around him when the ball came near him EXCEPT that one time when he snuck up the middle and received the cross from Mate to kick the goal. How does a bloke his size sneak unnnoticed is an indictement on the Roar defence.

Made the FFA TOTW:

Orlando Engelaar (Melbourne Heart)

Engelaar is proving to be the four leaved clover for the Heart, not having suffered a loss since he has put on the red and white stripes. His goal capped off a fine performance from the former Dutch international. Playing in the heart of midfield, Engelaar amassed four tackles, two blocks and two interceptions in defence, whilst in attack he had an 83% pass completion rate.

And the 442 TOTW:

MC: Orlando Engelaar (Melbourne Heart)
Has been fantastic since he’s returned from a serious injury and continues to deliver the goods in a pulsating match. Slotted home a cool finish to guide his team to three more points. Heart fans are starting to believe.

Good to see Engelaar starting to get his due acknowledgement. He is quite possibly the best midfielder in the league this season, and it's positive that the media are starting to realise just how good he is.

Former Dutch international Orlando Engelaar says Australia’s World Cup draw tough, but anything could happen

Matt Windley 

February 27, 2014

FORMER Dutch international Orlando Engelaar is perfectly positioned to don the pundit’s cap on World Cup matters.

The World Cup draw ties together his native Holland and the country he has fast fallen in love with — Australia.

Engelaar pauses then laughs sheepishly when asked about Australia’s chances.

“I don’t think Australia is very lucky with the draw,” he said of the task facing the Socceroos in playing against the Dutch, world champion Spain and South American powerhouse Chile.

“But I also think it would be a hard one for Holland because it definitely isn’t easy playing Chile. It’s going to be a very difficult game.”

So does Ange Postecoglou’s team have any chance of matching it with The Netherlands in Porto Alegre on June 18?

“Of course, you always have a chance, it’s football,” he said.

“Australia, they need a very good day because I think on most occasions Holland would be the better team and win most games, but there’s always going to be three or four games out of 10 that Australia is going to win.

“If they have a good day then they will definitely be able to beat Holland.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/former-dutch-international-orlando-engelaar-says-australias-world-cup-draw-tough-but-anything-could-happen/story-fni2wcjl-1226839804799

Edited by Murfy1

Orlando Engelaar’s recovery from broken leg coincides with Heart’s amazing run of form

Matt Windley

February 28, 2014

ORLANDO Engelaar muses that he got to know the players at the Carlton footy club better than his own teammates.

In 13 seasons at world giants such as FC Twente, Schalke 04 and PSV Eindhoven the defensive midfielder had never been forced to come off the field with an injury sustained in play.

That is, until August 25 of last year.

Five days earlier, upon his arrival and unveiling at Melbourne Heart, Engelaar spoke of the reasons why he, a 14-time Dutch international who had starred at the 2008 European Championship, had decided to come to Australia, a footballing outpost.

The 34-year-old wanted “a life experience, not just a football experience”.

He was about to get one.

“I still can’t believe I broke my leg like that. Stuff like that happens every game,” Engelaar says.

Not even 45 minutes in to his first practice match, against Brisbane in Lismore, Engelaar broke his left tibia in an innocuous collision with Roar star Thomas Broich.

“I played the ball a little bit too far ahead of me so I tried to get there, but it was Broich who saw that and he tried to intercept the ball,” he says.

“He got there a little bit sooner and I bumped in to him. It wasn’t even that hard.

“My leg was just completely broken all the way through. I knew something was wrong because the pain I experienced was unbelievable, the worst pain I’ve ever felt.

“I’m not the kind of guy who goes off hurt. After I was like ‘maybe I can stand up and see’, but as soon as I tried to put my foot down I knew ‘no, this is not good’.”

He feared he would never play an actual game for his new club.

In Melbourne for not even a week and with his wife and three-year-old son, Terrence, still in Holland, Engelaar already wanted to go home.

“What the hell was I going to do here or stay here for? I couldn’t walk or do anything,” he says.

He would get back to Europe eventually, but he would have to wait for two weeks before it was safe for his leg to fly.

In Melbourne on his own and barely able to look after himself, Engelaar moved in with his manager, John Grimaud, and his family, to whom he says he owes a great deal of gratitude.

ABOUT six weeks later and back in Melbourne with family in tow, Engelaar had a chance encounter with Blues coach Mick Malthouse.

After hearing Engelaar talk about his injury at a Heart pre-match function Malthouse, who is managed by the club’s former chairman Peter Sidwell, approached the Dutchman and offered his support.

“He felt bad and he said if I wanted to use the facilities at their club then I was more than welcome,” Engelaar says.

“So I did. I trained there for three or four months. I got to know the guys at Carlton better than my own teammates.”

Of particular use to Engelaar at Visy Park, considering his 199cm frame, was the AlterG machine, an anti-gravity treadmill that allows you to run without putting all of your body weight on to your legs.

“I really want to thank Carlton and the coach, Mick Malthouse,” he says. “They were fantastic.”

One downside of spending so much time away from the club, despite the benefits to his rehabilitation, was the fact that Engelaar’s relationship with his new teammates was unable to flourish.

“In that first four months I hardly saw them,” he says.

It was made worse by the fact the team was enduring a world of pain of its own as the losses piled up and the wins never came.

A run of 12 games without success resulted in coach John Aloisi being sacked on December 28.

And judging by the resignation in Engelaar’s voice it’s clear he regrets not being able to help his former coach out of the mire.

It was Aloisi who signed Engelaar at the start of the season, but he never got to play an A-League game under his tutelage.

“When he got sacked I sent him a text. It doesn’t mean anything of course because it doesn’t change anything, but that’s just the way I felt.

“I wanted to thank him, I felt bad that I wasn’t able to do anything for him, to help him out. But that’s football. You can’t change things like that.”

ENGELAAR’S Heart debut came a little later than he would have initially envisioned: January 17 against Newcastle at AAMI Park.

But when he did come on to the field as a second half substitute he was overwhelmed by rapturous ovation he got from Heart’s fans.

“That was beautiful, fantastic,” he says. “It doesn’t matter that I’ve played in Europe or played in full stadiums. Whichever player experiences something like that is going to be moved by that, touched by it. It was a great experience.”

948886-321b4f46-9f6b-11e3-b2ad-08c02f4f9

Melbourne Heart's Orlando Engelaar with Massimo Murdocca. Source: News Corp Australia

Engelaar hasn’t lost a game at Heart _ the team has had four wins and a draw in his five games _ but he scoffs at any suggestion that he is “a good-luck charm” because “that would take credit away from the team”.

What has been telling, however, has been his midfield partnership with Massimo Murdocca who, standing at 165cm, Engelaar says is “by a mile” the shortest player he’s ever played alongside.

“Sometimes I grab him in a game and say ‘hey, let’s walk together just for the cameras and give people a laugh’. It’s a funny combination.”

He’s scored twice _ including an absolute bullet in the 5-0 win over Wellington and the winner last Sunday against the Roar team he suffered his pre-season misfortune _ but Engelaar says with better match conditioning he can only improve.

Just don’t expect him to be dangerous in the air.

He says he’s not sure where he got his height from _ his dad is 185cm, his mum is about 170cm and he never knew his grandparents _ but one thing he does know is that he can’t use it to be a Peter Crouch-style aerial target in the box.

“I have no idea why, it’s just the type of player I am, I like to have the ball at my feet. Maybe it has something to do with when I was young I was always out on the street playing street football, street soccer.

“You don’t go out with your friends on the concrete and give crosses and do headers, you just keep the ball on the floor, do tricks and play technical.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/orlando-engelaars-recovery-from-broken-leg-coincides-with-hearts-amazing-run-of-form/story-fnk6rlg0-1226839948940

Good read.

It's also good to know that in the future we won't have to use other sports organisations' facilities or resources, like we did with Engelaar.

Edited by Murfy1

Terrific article. He seems like he genuinely is enjoying his time here at the club and life in Melbourne. Always see him wave to his son before the game starts. I really do hope he stays for next season him and mooy would be terrific. If we can afford the auld at 300k a season surely we can get Orlando under the cap

• Like 2

“Sometimes I grab him in a game and say ‘hey, let’s walk together just for the cameras and give people a laugh’. It’s a funny combination.”

:D

Must do whatever it takes to fit him inside the cap next season. I would suggest cutting David William's pay by about 60% would go a fair way...

:D

Must do whatever it takes to fit him inside the cap next season. I would suggest cutting David Williams pay by about 60% would go a fair way...

fixed. lol

• Like 5