Melbourne Football

Orlando Engelaar

Murfy1

so disappointing but you have to play the hand you're dealt.  it'd be nice to know the club had an insurance policy to cover, etc. (and from memory, the whole kerfuffle around Culina a few seasons ago included the fact that GCU didnt actually have insurance so fingers crossed there).

IIRC Grella came out with a pretty high opinion of the club of how the club handled the situation so hopefully that can be followed here. 

plus, if all goes well, we could have Engelaar back for the second half of the season.  Providing he then gets fit that would be a massive addition to the squad.

or perhaps i'm just looking for a silver lining / positive outta this :unsure:

IIRC the Culina case showed that it is the club's responsibility to take out insurance. If we didn't do that in Engelaar's case and he's been injured whilst uninsured then we have to pay his wages under the contract we signed. I can't believe that JD wouldn't have had that all settled before he played. If not, well, the proverbial excrement will hit the fan within the club.

No doubt Orlando will make a decision on his future based on the advice he gets. Hardly worth him moving his family here is there's no chance of him playing for a long time.

We'll find out in due course. 

Edited by jw1739

Bet the club feels silly for not keeping Garcia now :up:

Why?

He is not even proven as a DM,

His a winger really of which we have an excess of... Gol, Mate etc.

He was also demanding from us at least twice his market value (Going of what SFC paid).

And on top of this he was hardly a popular squad member either.

Whilst most of all He is also getting on himself and in fact has a worst history with Injuries than Orlando did/does

Edited by cadete
  • Like 4

so disappointing but you have to play the hand you're dealt.  it'd be nice to know the club had an insurance policy to cover, etc. (and from memory, the whole kerfuffle around Culina a few seasons ago included the fact that GCU didnt actually have insurance so fingers crossed there).

IIRC Grella came out with a pretty high opinion of the club of how the club handled the situation so hopefully that can be followed here. 

plus, if all goes well, we could have Engelaar back for the second half of the season.  Providing he then gets fit that would be a massive addition to the squad.

or perhaps i'm just looking for a silver lining / positive outta this :unsure:

IIRC the Culina case showed that it is the club's responsibility to take out insurance. If we didn't do that in Engelaar's case and he's been injured whilst uninsured then we have to pay his wages under the contract we signed. I can't believe that JD wouldn't have had that all settled before he played. If not, well, the proverbial excrement will hit the fan within the club.

No doubt Orlando will make a decision on his future based on the advice he gets. Hardly worth him moving his family here is there's no chance of him playing for a long time.

We'll find out in due course. 

likewise, i get the feeling JD would have had him insured - which if true at least is a bit of a silver lining

Why?

He was also demanding from us at least twice his market value (Going of what SFC paid).

Whilst most of all He is also getting on himself and in fact has a worst history with Injuries than Orlando did/does

Garcia and Engelaar are chalk and cheese.  plus there is the little fact that Engelaar is the international marquee, something the club was never gonna give Garcia

While this is completely shit and we're understandably concerned about what it potentially means for the season, and moaning about some of the shitty luck this club has, spare a thought for how shit it is personally for the guy himself. He pretty much just got off the plane a long way from home and family. We haven't had a chance to see him yet, but he deserves whatever support the club and fans can give.

(I'm assuming the news isn't going to be good.)

Edited by Sash
  • Like 3

If he is out for the season does anyone reckon the club would try and get a mutual release from his contract and go again for another marquee?

I don't think we're the sort of club that would do that. If Orlando asks then that would be a different matter, but I can't see us making the first move.

Davutovic has confirmed he is out for the season

Where? I read an a-league article just before saying that he could be out for 4 months best case, 7 months worst

Correct.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-gutted-after-losing-marquee-orlando-engelaar-to-injury/story-fndm8psv-1226704448174

4 months would be OK

He would be back just before the Christmas derby

In the meantime, the club should sign an injury replacement

''"It’s a shame because he just got off the plane''.

Yes John, Orlando shouldn't have even started the game, let alone even fucking playing after just arriving ffs. 

Craig Foster and his stupid fucking silver tea cup is clearly responsible for all of this. 

• Like 2

At 34, broken leg and expecting him to make a quick recovery and be back playing this season would be a very long ask.

Sitting around in a moon boot for months is not going to help his fitness cause either.

I cannot see him hanging around here in Australia while he spends 4-7 months recovering and will most probably head home back to Netherlands.

Time to look at another international marquee if you ask me.

One would hope the club had him insured before he took the field yesterday...

At 34, broken leg and expecting him to make a quick recovery and be back playing this season would be a very long ask.

Sitting around in a moon boot for months is not going to help his fitness cause either.

I cannot see him hanging around here in Australia while he spends 4-7 months recovering and will most probably head home back to Netherlands.

Time to look at another international marquee if you ask me.

One would hope the club had him insured before he took the field yesterday...

II know people on here like to bag JD but he is a highly reputable operator. I am sure he would have that all sorted before he even got on the plane in Holland (in case of plane crash :P )

Well done to the club, board, owners etc...

this is clearly a marketing ploy by the club. 

next week, we will announce the signing of karagounis, only to see him also leave the club by 'mutual consent', after getting more members from his signing.

Then, we will officially announce the signing of Iaquinta, who will play for us next season, getting more members

:up:  :up:

Fractured fibula

Although the fibula is the smaller of the two shin bones it is still a potentially serious injury. However there is usually a shorter recovery period associated with a fractured fibula namely 9-12 weeks whereas a fractured tibia can take up to 6-12 months.

Should a fractured fibula be treated surgically?

The closer a fibula fracture is to the ankle joint, the more likely it is to require surgery. This is because a fibula fracture has the potential to disrupt the stability of the ankle joint. If the syndesmosis (structure between the tibia and fibula) is disrupted during a fibula fracture, then surgery is usually required to stabilise this area.

On 23 February 2008, Eduardo da Silva of Arsenal suffered a broken left fibula and open dislocation of his ankle from a tackle by Martin Taylor of Birmingham City. He returned to professional play the following year.

Let's hope Engelaar only fractured his Fibula! :unsure:

Rofl if Engelaar's injury was anywhere near as bad as Eduardo's we would definitely know. Google for pictures of Eduardo's break and you will understand.

Why?

Tbh, only posted it because I knew it would get a response from you.

But if you want a legitimate answer, I think it's fair for supporters to ask where all the salary money has gone, when the only real player we've splurged on this offseason has been Engelaar after cutting all the big spenders on our list (Thompson, Fred, Collosimo, Bolton et all). Regardless of what Garcia is on at Sydney now (which is a matter of circumstance not worth), he was right to ask for a better deal from us seeing he was by far our best & most consistent player in an horrible season across the park. With the above cuts we could have easily afforded to keep him and would have been pretty handy for us right now, now that Engelaar is gone, and knowing that he played well for us at times centrally last season.

Not sure where all injury talk comes from aswell, when he was one of only 2 players players who managed to play every game for us last season.

The point is, it's another example of poor list management from our football department, something that you have been bemoaning since our 2nd season when we had to fly Madaschi in on a guest stint.

If we had him on the list this injury wouldn't hurt nearly as much as it does now.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 5