Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

The more I see Harry play in our colors the more I like him. When we score and I focus on him, he actually gives a shit! Pumps his fist, stands his ground and gets in players face. Spoke with a work colleague who is a MV supporter and he said Harry had a great game and if he continues to improve, keep up the fitness and be injury free he will make the Australian squad. I hope for his sake he does as he definitely still has it! On the other hand, my work colleague said Engelaar is a machine.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if he'll get another contract. Could be worth it if he wants to stay on the cheap. I'm not expecting us to get a super star team next year. Sure it will improve, but there's still a salary cap, but some players will prefer to go elsewhere if they are going to be the big fish and get the cash. Depending on how the squad works out we could do worse. At least for one more year during our transition phase. Wouldn;t want the squad built around him though, but depending on what happens there might be a place for him for one more year.

If Harry keeps improving he could well get himself a spot in the World Cup team. My thinking is that if he does, the best way to end his career would be playing in the Asian Cup on home soil, which he would be in strong contention for. If all goes to plan, I'd love to see him in Heart colours for one more season.

• Like 1

Harry has been in the team of the week two weeks in a row.

Keeps up this form he will find a place on the World Cup squad. Ang would be stupid not to take a Harry Kewell as the last man in the squad. Instead of having a kid who won't have experience or skill level yet to take on the likes of Spain, he'd have Harry who has and has the skill to play against these guys.

Not saying he should start. Not even saying he should play a lot of minutes but surely a fit Harry Kewell in form is worthy?

• Like 1

I wonder if he'll get another contract. Could be worth it if he wants to stay on the cheap. I'm not expecting us to get a super star team next year. Sure it will improve, but there's still a salary cap, but some players will prefer to go elsewhere if they are going to be the big fish and get the cash. Depending on how the squad works out we could do worse. At least for one more year during our transition phase. Wouldn;t want the squad built around him though, but depending on what happens there might be a place for him for one more year.

You rate them that high????

You rate them that high????

I'm talking about new recruits. We can only spend so much on all the players. It's going to be hard to build a super squad in the first season. We will get a LOT more better players, but we still need so many australian players. Some of the better australian players will go to other a-league teams if they can get a few extra 100K because there's room in that teams cap. We've had players in this league go of to little towns in asia because they will get more money. 

Kewell is not good enough to goto Brasil. He may be able to get away with being lazy in the A-League due to being more technically competent than most other players, but against the teams we have in the group stage he will have rings run around him.

FWIW his inclusion in team of the week isn't as good as it seems as it is similar to the media saying JA shouldn't be sacked. Whole golden generation old boys club etc.

Anyone catch the kewell interview on sbs tonight? What did he say?

He didn't say anything. When asked what had changed under JVS? He said very little but there were some formation changes, in other words I'm not going to bag JA. When asked about confidence levels he said that they were always confident, in other words I'm not going to bag JA. When asked about the WC he said he was more concerned about this week's game but every player should aspire to play in the WC, in other words here is a double dose of cliches. Very well spoken TBH.

• Like 1

He didn't say anything. When asked what had changed under JVS? He said very little but there were some formation changes, in other words I'm not going to bag JA. When asked about confidence levels he said that they were always confident, in other words I'm not going to bag JA. When asked about the WC he said he was more concerned about this week's game but every player should aspire to play in the WC, in other words here is a double dose of cliches. Very well spoken TBH.

Formation changes huh? If that's all it was maybe JA was on the right track. Perhaps an appropriate tifo at next game...REINSTATE JA

Formation changes huh? If that's all it was maybe JA was on the right track. Perhaps an appropriate tifo at next game...REINSTATE JA

I sincerely hope that you are taking the piss... Formation changes are not quite everything but just about everything. JA only had one formation which he couldn't get any player to execute properly - JVS has tried two to my knowledge and perhaps three. And in each case the players have managed to assemble something passable and even netted a win. Unlike a number of comments, I don't blame the players but I did blame the coach. If JVS is extracting more from the same lot then all that confirms is that JA could not coach. Did JD/JA assemble a good team? No one will ever know because come season's end there will be another overhaul with two players already gone.

He did say that JA should come back to coaching via an assistants role, stating the obvious but at least he said it.

Here's the interview:http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/130638403539/Zdrila-chats-to-Harry-Kewell

Kewell was great in pre-season, he did the hard yards with the rest of the team and it was good to see him working hard and not getting preferential treatment, playing against the likes of the La Trobe Uni side and so on.

I had my doubts about him when the season started and we didn't see much of Kewell for several weeks, but he's really looking good now, and acting more and more like a leader each week.

If he keeps up this level of performance IMO he's a shoe-in for the World Cup.

I think Kewell has been quite shit. Not enough urgency and hardly tracks back (If he does it usually ends up in a free kick). And why is he getting praise for shooting from 30 yards out? Waste of possesion.

His passing has been an improvement on what the rest of the team were doing. He deserves a spot in THIS Heart team but should be moved on next season (to make room for Mooy?)

Edited by Tonyboozeadams

I think Kewell has been quite shit. Not enough urgency and hardly tracks back (If he does it usually ends up in a free kick). And why is he getting praise for shooting from 30 yards out? Waste of possesion.

His passing has been an improvement on what the rest of the team were doing. He deserves a spot in THIS Heart team but should be moved on next season (to make room for Mooy?)

??????????

• Like 1

Are we watching the same guy? Won nearly every ball in the air tonight held it up well and put several guys through on goal. I'd say he was in the best on. Holy shit the guy was huge tonight.

• Like 2

Great win: not only were the Heart down to 10 men, Sydney had 12 on the pitch. I suppose that MCFC did a thorough due diligence on the club but they forgot to do due diligence on the referees.

Loved Williams' goal and Germano's opportunistic goal. 

Interestingly enough I thought that JVS would have made changes shortly after Engelaar was sent off either put on another defender or perhaps bring in Kalmar. But no, he held his fire, trusted the players and they responded. I think that JVS won the tactics over Farina.

I can't criticise todays effort, just going to enjoy the moment.

• Like 3

I admit that I was skeptical of Kewell when he first signed with us, but he has really impressed me over the past month. He has acted like a true leader on the pitch and has been playing really well. Even if he hasn't been kicking the goals he has been a really positive influence for all of the players.