Melbourne Football

2013-14 MEMBERSHIPS

Red or Dead

A silk scarf though... really?

It's NOT a silk scarf. The label says 100% polyester.

So shiny!

Worded up all the boys at Presentation Night last night about buying a membership, when I told them it is about $20 a month they were keen as mustard... although they were drunk, so lets see what happens when the club contacts them.

A silk scarf though... really?

It's NOT a silk scarf. The label says 100% polyester.

So shiny!

Worded up all the boys at Presentation Night last night about buying a membership, when I told them it is about $20 a month they were keen as mustard... although they were drunk, so lets see what happens when the club contacts them.

Lets hope they sign up!

It will make up for the ppl who were requesting refunds at half time in Epping yesterday ;-)

5268 today @1pm. That's 18 added over the weekend  :unsure:

I don't think we'll make the 20% increase (5,700), but I'm hoping we can hit 5,500 by Oct 12th; we need 19.33 members every day for the next 12 days for that.

I walked passed the Membership tent yesterday in Frankston just passed half time and it didn't look like anyone was signing up, just buying merchandise. I'm hoping they got a fair few in the first half though.

I don't think we'll make the 20% increase (5,700), but I'm hoping we can hit 5,500 by Oct 12th; we need 19.33 members every day for the next 12 days for that.

I walked passed the Membership tent yesterday in Frankston just passed half time and it didn't look like anyone was signing up, just buying merchandise. I'm hoping they got a fair few in the first half though.

Last Friday at Epping more ppl were lining up for the donut van then our tent.

After half time those at the tent were asking for a refund so the tent quickly disappeared before the game was over.

• Like 1

After half time those at the tent were asking for a refund so the tent quickly disappeared before the game was over.

Glad those people asked for a refund. If they are so fickle that they will judge our entire season on a half of football in a meaningless pre-season game, where we didn't even field our full strength team, then they can fuck off and go back to being victory supporters :up:

• Like 1

Are you serious people were asking for a refund? I thought you guys were just joking...surely not!?!  :blink:

5268 today @1pm. That's 18 added over the weekend :unsure:

Its now 5300

We will get 5500 by 12/10 it's only 200 more

Can we get 400 in 10 days to get to 5700

I wonder how many clubs can claim almost 20% increase this year.

CCM just reached 45% increase on LY

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 1

Friend with active support membership got the scarf & cape in their membership pack, i contacted club to see why my poor ass missed out and apparently they mixed up their package... they get to keep the stuff though... #annoyed i want a scarf with drink holders

I want a cape!

So if the member count on Saturday was 5250 and it's 5305 right now, is it safe to assume that the game in Frankston brought in around 50-60 new members (I'm guessing there's probably a few more yet to be processed)?

Would this be considered a success from a membership growth exercise?

IMO it's too early to tell whether there is any growth in memberships from last year at all. All we're really seeing so far is that more people have joined up than at the same time last year. It's a moot point whether that is a predictor of what the final number will be.

As for the game in Frankston? I really have my doubts as to whether this has anything significant to do with the increase in numbers over the weekend. Possibly some people would have found it expedient to take out a membership at the game rather than on-line or by post or whatever, possibly a few juniors would have signed up because they met Harry, but I'm not sure that you become a member of MHFC because the youth team beat a scratch team of locals 4-1.

I found the game itself to be rather bland TBH. No announcements about the team, substitutions, goalscorers etc. - I just happened to be able to recognize some of the Heart players but I would think that anyone not associated with the game wouldn't have been particularly inspired by what was on offer.

IMO what we're doing in Shepparton, Frankston etc. is building an awareness of the club. This will benefit both us and the game in the longer-term.

I don't think we're playing very exciting football under JA. We don't seem to have anyone who can lift the crowd every time he gets the ball - I think we're hoping the likes of Mifsud can deliver in that respect. I don't resile from the view that the key to our future is delivering excitement, flair, goals, wins, passion, spectacle, etc. at AAMI. This is what will cause someone to decide "I wan't to be a part of that"; all the rest will feed off that in the building of the club in the longer-term.

• Like 5

IMO it's too early to tell whether there is any growth in memberships from last year at all. All we're really seeing so far is that more people have joined up than at the same time last year. It's a moot point whether that is a predictor of what the final number will be.

As for the game in Frankston? I really have my doubts as to whether this has anything significant to do with the increase in numbers over the weekend. Possibly some people would have found it expedient to take out a membership at the game rather than on-line or by post or whatever, possibly a few juniors would have signed up because they met Harry, but I'm not sure that you become a member of MHFC because the youth team beat a scratch team of locals 4-1.

I found the game itself to be rather bland TBH. No announcements about the team, substitutions, goalscorers etc. - I just happened to be able to recognize some of the Heart players but I would think that anyone not associated with the game wouldn't have been particularly inspired by what was on offer.

IMO what we're doing in Shepparton, Frankston etc. is building an awareness of the club. This will benefit both us and the game in the longer-term.

I don't think we're playing very exciting football under JA. We don't seem to have anyone who can lift the crowd every time he gets the ball - I think we're hoping the likes of Mifsud can deliver in that respect. I don't resile from the view that the key to our future is delivering excitement, flair, goals, wins, passion, spectacle, etc. at AAMI. This is what will cause someone to decide "I wan't to be a part of that"; all the rest will feed off that in the building of the club in the longer-term.

i think you raise a lot of good points, particularly since there is no real break down from the club of who has signed up.  going off a few posts here we know there are a few new members but knowing if the bulk of the total membership number are from previous memberships is anyones guess. and i too love that the club is making the effort across the city and across the state to build awareness. 

the only counterpoint i'd make is that (but for a slight hiccup at the start of August where numbers slowed just before Kewell was confirmed) the numbers have been up quite noticeably and consistantly.  this in turn makes me think the club is doing something right and the total membership is going to be well and truly up.

One thing to remember (and it might be a little off topic being statistically based as a perspective), numbers and percentages get 'normalised' the higher your base number.  That is to say a 500 increase as a percentage is markedly different when the base number is 3000 as opposed to 5000 (your looking at 16.667% as opposed to 10.000%).  For Heart to be constantly remaining at around 15-17% up for three months suggusts to me that new members must be coming along regularly since you'd expect your interested past members to sign up early in the piece. 

Yes, some past members will leave it late, but you'd certainly expect not enough to constantly keep our percentage change around 15% since past members coming late will be more in the dribs and drabs

5268 today @1pm. That's 18 added over the weekend :unsure:

Its now 5300

We will get 5500 by 12/10 it's only 200 more

Can we get 400 in 10 days to get to 5700

I wonder how many clubs can claim almost 20% increase this year.

CCM just reached 45% increase on LY

as nice as it sounds to have a 45% increase, they only had 3,500 members last season so to me its more that they had a really low cap last season not that they have gone gang busters on it

Just a word of warning for those that wear their lanyards to the game. My clip mechanism has a massive gap, and my card fell out while sitting down at the friendly on Sundy.

not sure if anyone has done the same but i used last season's plastic holder (not the red and white rope / lanyard thingy and obvisously not the card itself) since the card fits more snuggly and the clip doesnt seem to play up - might be more useful

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

Just a word of warning for those that wear their lanyards to the game. My clip mechanism has a massive gap, and my card fell out while sitting down at the friendly on Sundy.

In other words leave lanyards for those who work at Jetty Surf.

Hah I just dont like my wallet being filled with crap. I wear it under my shirt if that helps.

As an update, this is what i have found - some are easier to get than others

Adelaide - 4,335
Brisbane - 5,653
Central Coast - 5,000
Heart - 5,344
Newcastle - almost 9,000 …. (http://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?719-Jets-Membership-Update&p=51007#post51007)
Perth - 4,394
Sydney - 9,500
Victory - 19,028
Wellington - 3,000 (from a couple of weeks back cant find more recent)
West Sydney - 15,600 SOLD OUT!

In descending order, that places us 6th - a little behind Brisbane, a little ahead of CCM and noticeably ahead of the last 3.  given how shite we were last season its nice to know that we could be in a worse position - particularly where Perth and Adelaide come from markets where they should have an unimpeded shot at capturing the market (same could be said with Brisbane who is not that far ahead)

Victory - 19,028
West Sydney - 15,600 SOLD OUT!
Sydney - 9,500
Newcastle - almost 9,000 …. (http://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?719-Jets-Membership-Update&p=51007#post51007)
Brisbane - 5,653
Heart - 5,344
Central Coast - 5,000
Perth - 4,394
Adelaide - 4,335
Wellington - 3,000 (from a couple of weeks back cant find more recent)

Edited by mattyh001

In other words leave lanyards for those who work at Jetty Surf.

Hah I just dont like my wallet being filled with crap. I wear it under my shirt if that helps.

Hah I just throw all the crap out of my wallet and stick my membership card in a prime location

From an earlier post by RoD:

Last Season # Vs this season

3,300 August  16th Vs 3800 (+500 / +15.15%)

3,650 August  30th Vs 4272 (+622 / +17.04%)
4,000 Sept.     12th Vs 4633 (+633 / +15.83%)
4,750 October 04th (day before round 1)

Day before Round 1

I'll be happy with 5,500 by October 4th, which will be a 15.79% increase on the same time last year, even though this year that's 8 days before our first kick-off.

Now it's not quite October 4th, but we're on 5347 as I type, so we're 597 ahead of last year's October 4th figure.

So really the major difference between last year and this year is that more people signed up early, before August 16th, (and I presume these were renewals rather than new memberships), and since August 16th the average rate of increase has remained almost the same as last year.