Melbourne Football

2013-14 MEMBERSHIPS

Red or Dead

As an update, this is what i have found - some are easier to get than others

Adelaide - 4,335

Brisbane - 5,653

Central Coast - 5,000

Heart - 5,344

Newcastle - almost 9,000 …. (http://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?719-Jets-Membership-Update&p=51007#post51007)

Perth - 4,394

Sydney - 9,500

Victory - 19,028

Wellington - 3,000 (from a couple of weeks back cant find more recent)

West Sydney - 15,600 SOLD OUT!

In descending order, that places us 6th - a little behind Brisbane, a little ahead of CCM and noticeably ahead of the last 3.  given how shite we were last season its nice to know that we could be in a worse position - particularly where Perth and Adelaide come from markets where they should have an unimpeded shot at capturing the market (same could be said with Brisbane who is not that far ahead)

Victory - 19,028

West Sydney - 15,600 SOLD OUT!

Sydney - 9,500

Newcastle - almost 9,000 …. (http://www.newcastlefootball.net/forum/showthread.php?719-Jets-Membership-Update&p=51007#post51007)

Brisbane - 5,653

Heart - 5,344

Central Coast - 5,000

Perth - 4,394

Adelaide - 4,335

Wellington - 3,000 (from a couple of weeks back cant find more recent)

In these figures it's Newcastle that strikes me as the anomaly. Just looking at their membership packages they want $255 for a Gold adult membership - roughly the equivalent of our Premium A in terms of seating - which is almost exactly half of our fee.

CCM Gold membership is $260 - again almost exactly half of what we pay for pretty much the same seating. Possibly better seating in fact, given that much of the reserved seating presently available at AAMI is not under cover.

I've never really been a fan of the theory that halving the cost would double the membership but I'm beginning to wonder...

Presumably Newcastle and CCM are able to secure much better stadium deals than we can.

• Like 1

Only 9500 at SFC has to be disappointing for a club in this comp from day 1

I understand wsw express would slow their membership uptake a little but how would you feel when a NEW club in the same city has a larger base then the big brother.

If wsw finished second last, they would not have those numbers.

They definitely over-achieved!

Amazing what success does to your support base!!!!

Edited by Jestr

I understand wsw express would slow their membership uptake a little but how would you feel when a NEW club in the same city has a larger base then the big brother.

The lack of it has really held us back.

I think its only this year that the penny dropped for Da Management and they've become a bit more ruthless towards the players in terms of performance expectations.

I wonder how they'll act towards Aloisi when it becomes obvious that he's the millstone around everyone's neck.

• Like 1

Let me point out that WSW's top membership category is (was, because it's sold out) $312 for an adult for a season. Ours (Premium A) is $575.

We simply do not give value for money on that comparison.

The club is farting about with trivial issues such as songs. The focus needs to be elsewhere.

Pretty piss poor effort by Sydney FC in my opinion. And that's after having the highest player profile ever to be in the A-league. Imagine all the pizzaheads signing up to MHFC if he was to play for us!?

Sydney are the most fickle supporters in the league. Unless there teams about to win the premiership you won't hear from them.

Still can't believe that were beating 3 teams who played finals last year in membership numbers. Kudos to heart fc.

Pretty piss poor effort by Sydney FC in my opinion. And that's after having the highest player profile ever to be in the A-league. Imagine all the pizzaheads signing up to MHFC if he was to play for us!?

And imagine if they hadn't signed ADP last season! I reckon if it wasn't for him, with WSW wanderers coming in (and with the success they had) it would've dwindled SFC's member count to rival Heart's numbers!

In other news, we just cracked 5,400.

5402 @ 1:40pm. Yesterday at 2pm we were 5347 so that's another impressive jump! Maybe with the hype building (and Bozza's ads on Foxtel) people are starting to get their act together and buying their memberships!

We only need less than 13.5 per day to make 5510 (16%) increase true come the day before Round 1.

We need 37 per day for the next 8 days if we are to have a 20% increase Year on Year

Let me point out that WSW's top membership category is (was, because it's sold out) $312 for an adult for a season. Ours (Premium A) is $575.

We simply do not give value for money on that comparison.

The club is farting about with trivial issues such as songs. The focus needs to be elsewhere.

WSW play in a simple and rustic stadium that was built around 30 years ago.

The Jets' memberships are really cheap because Tinkler pours money into the club so they can have cheap memberships. He does the same thing with his Newcastle rugby team.

The Mariners have a pretty simple stadium, and there is limited demand to use Bluetongue stadium (that is, only a few sports clubs use the stadium), so the costs for Mariners can't be too high.

We play in a world class stadium, which is used by 3 other big clubs. So we probably pay a fair bit to play at AAMI park, and the stadium costs inevitably raise the price of our memberships.

Maybe prices could be a bit lower at the moment, but I doubt they could be much lower. Heart have had a number of promotional deals which allowed people to get really cheap tickets, which suggests to me that if Heart could they'd lower prices (if they knew they would sell a good amount of memberships, like 9,000 to 10,000).

Heart should focus long term to lower membership prices, but it's hard to do. Bundesliga clubs have very low ticket prices (for Europe), which they accomplish by having some of the highest attendence figures in the world, which allows them to get a little bit of money from a lot of spectators. It's a catch 22 really, but I think after Heart grows and establishes itself more, then our memberships should get a bit cheaper.

I'm sure the club is focusing on things besides the club song. Heart can walk and chew gum.

It is a bit annoying to see the club so publicly focus on trivial things (e.g. the great number of really trivial tweets from Heart's twitter account), but I'm sure they are doing much more behind the scenes. I doubted our recruitment for this season when things seemed to not be happening after we signed Velaphi, and then we signed Engelaar, Kisnorbo, Mifsud and Migliorini. Despite impressions, Heart is pretty well run in many regards.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Murf, the main thing I was trying to point out was not that our membership prices are too high (although they might well be) but that there's really no point in comparing our membership numbers with Newcastle, CCM and WSW because we are nowhere near comparing apples with apples.

IMO it doesn't really matter why membership costs to the spectator for those clubs are lower than ours. What counts is that they are so much lower that on that basis alone there is likely to be a significant difference in how many are going to be sold.

from what I've gathered membership isn't a big deal in NSW. Prime example their NRL clubs.

It's cause nrl's a shit game that nobody wants to watch, thats why they have no members. Not like glorious Afl :up:

Incorrect

from what I've gathered membership isn't a big deal in NSW. Prime example their NRL clubs.

1/ They like to do there sports watching at bars and clubs rather than going to games

2/ NRL teams were funded by pokies so didn't need membership dollars

Correct

• Like 2

In other news, we just cracked 5,400.

5402 @ 1:40pm. Yesterday at 2pm we were 5347 so that's another impressive jump! Maybe with the hype building (and Bozza's ads on Foxtel) people are starting to get their act together and buying their memberships!

We only need less than 13.5 per day to make 5510 (16%) increase true come the day before Round 1.

We need 37 per day for the next 8 days if we are to have a 20% increase Year on Year

5437 as of 7am this morning

Moving along nicely:-)

New a league commercial (love bozza)

Sbs pushing fta games

SEN drive yesterday

And I guess proximity of the derby and the season!

All helps to push the numbers

Am I correct to say we added just over 100 in 24 hrs???????

Edited by Jestr

Nice one Jestr.

Wed. at 2pm we were at 5347

Thurs @2pm we were at 5402

Today @2pm we are at: 5449

That's some good momentum going into the weekend. My referrals on the HeadHunter app have been getting phone calls the last few days as well so that's good to see that they're following everyone up  :)

1/ They like to do there sports watching at bars and clubs rather than going to games

Pretty much what my NSW relo's have relayed to me.. their sports crowd attendances are somewhat shocking as well... I guess they have a different culture to us sports mad melburnians...

Pretty much what my NSW relo's have relayed to me.. their sports crowd attendances are somewhat shocking as well... I guess they have a different culture to us sports mad melburnians...

Melbournes also lucky that we have such amazing stadiums all in the city and all easy to get to by public transport. Even the SCG which is the most central ground in Sydney is a bit of a pain in the arse to get to.

• Like 2

Love the work the club has undertaken this year.

I like the way the club hasn't pushed HK out there too hard (unlike the MV circus last time), but has seemingly taken steps to be strategic in his media and marketing commitments.

Yeah, I agree. So far so good with the whole Kewell thing. But the real test comes on the field. If he plays well and represents the club well as captain, and it remains all about the football instead of becoming a soap opera like last time, it could work really well for us. I don't mind admitting I was a massive sceptic, but so far, I think the club and Kewell have gone about it well.

Anyway, 5,475 tonight. Looking good. To be closing in on something approaching 6,000 by round 1 is beyond my expectations after the way last season finished. To get there, keep pushing and getting the word out. Like we did with the One Melburnian thing last season, it's also up to us to help grow the club.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right thread to post this under. I've just signed up as an active member for the first time and was wondering where you guys usually march from?

The Imperial mate. But the real question is when the march is. No-one seems to have any idea

• Like 1

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right thread to post this under. I've just signed up as an active member for the first time and was wondering where you guys usually march from?

The Imperial mate. But the real question is when the march is. No-one seems to have any idea

Or who the March is.